Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headphones for Smartphone + Gym Use

• 13-03-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good all round set of headphones to be used with an Android smartphone and will see daily use in the gym. Ideally will have:

- Controls on cable to change songs without taking phone out.
    - Maybe a microphone for phone calls (not by any means essential)
    - Be able to withstand movement without distorting sound (I've just read about this in the headphones thread stickied above - didn't know it could be a problem otherwise).

Looking at spending around 20 quid only, but I've no idea if this is unrealistic or not. Could probably increase this a little if needed. I'm coming from the cheapest of the cheap headphones so anything will be a step up, but would prefer something more than just a step above these (which won't be difficult :o).

Anything decent out there that'd suit?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

These might suit you: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEElectronics-sports-earphone-inline-remote/dp/B003VTZPO8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363183506&sr=8-3

I ordered a pair from amazon last year but they arrived DOA, amazon were a pleasure to deal with though and refunded me with no hassle whatsoever (no stock left so had to go refund)

Look 'em up, they get quite good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Cheers - reviews certainly do look good and they tick all the boxes. Any competitors to these worth looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Haven't heard those ones but had a pair of the M9Ps for a while & didn't like them at all, couldn't manage to get a proper seal with any of the supplied tips & found microphonics pretty bad. Had to do a good bit of messing around with EQ settings before I got the bass sounding any way adequate, even though I wouldn't be that much of a basshead. The M6Ps may well be better but that put me off Meelectronics products.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Haven't heard those ones but had a pair of the M9Ps for a while & didn't like them at all, couldn't manage to get a proper seal with any of the supplied tips & found microphonics pretty bad. Had to do a good bit of messing around with EQ settings before I got the bass sounding any way adequate, even though I wouldn't be that much of a basshead. The M6Ps may well be better but that put me off Meelectronics products.

Good to know - thanks - I've looked at the reviews and I can't see many with a similar complaint for the M6P's so hopefully this has been sorted. Looking at reviews, everyone seems to be surprised at the quality for the price point which is always positive.

Has anyone got a pair of these and can comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Klipsch S4s are solid enough too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

One of the best headphones that can be bought under €100 are either Koss Porta Pro's or Koss KSC-75. I have both and I have to say they sound fantastic. I had Sennheiser PX-100, 4 times more expensive than KSC-75, but Koss blows them in terms of sound stage.

Can be bought for ~€15 here, they are clip on type so would be perfect for running, gym etc.

Klipsch S4s are solid enough too.

Cheers - but outside of budget unfortunately.
    One of the best headphones that can be bought under €100 are either Koss Porta Pro's or Koss KSC-75. I have both and I have to say they sound fantastic. I had Sennheiser PX-100, 4 times more expensive than KSC-75, but Koss blows them in terms of sound stage.

I've never actually used clip on headphones before - surely they don't fit as snugly as in ear headphones? I might be completely wrong here, but I've always assumed this.

Right now, I'm still liking the 1st suggestion, but it's still in the back of my mind about fitting issues.

there is no such thing as in-ear headphones -

headphones - outside / over ear
    earphones - in the ear canal - either buds (example would be yuin pk2's) or in-ear (usually called iem's -> in-ear-monitors e.g. soundmagic pl30)

you mentioned the word headphones hence people are suggesting headphones...

glasso wrote: »
    there is no such thing as in-ear headphones -

headphones - outside / over ear
    earphones - in ear-canal - either buds or in-ear

That's good to know. I'm actually shocked I've made it 25 years without realizing this and nobody's corrected me before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Cheers - but outside of budget unfortunately.

I've never actually used clip on headphones before - surely they don't fit as snugly as in ear headphones? I might be completely wrong here, but I've always assumed this.

Right now, I'm still liking the 1st suggestion, but it's still in the back of my mind about fitting issues.

For me the fit better than IEM's, my ear can get the hold of them, and I feel the my ears are dirty all the time ;)

I've changed the clips to spare Koss Porta Pro headband, but the clips where quite comfortably once you had the customised for your ears.

• Advertisement
Advertisement