Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lug Walk 2013

Options
  • 13-03-2013 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

The Lug Walk organised by the Irish Ramblers Club will be happening on Saturday 22nd June this year. Here's a link to the information for 2013.

http://www.walkersassociation.ie/node/469

If you have any queries about any aspect of this challenge walk please post here on this forum. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Here's a video of the route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3hgxnAXEmw

....and here's a map of the route:

Lug Walk (2).JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Gravale wrote: »
    If you have any queries about any aspect of this challenge walk please post here on this forum. :)
    Hi Gravale/T, thanks for the information.

A couple of questions you might be able to help with:
    1. How does it compare to the Art O'Neill in terms of effort?
    2. Is there any intelligent way of avoiding the muck between Seefingen and Kippure?
    3. Similarly at Conavalla!
    4. Is it possible to leave a bag of food/drinks somewhere along the route with the organisers? Or is it all organise your own support?
    5. Where's the point of maximum despondency? :)

hmmm wrote: »

1. How does it compare to the Art O'Neill in terms of effort?
    2. Is there any intelligent way of avoiding the muck between Seefingen and Kippure?
    3. Similarly at Conavalla!
    4. Is it possible to leave a bag of food/drinks somewhere along the route with the organisers? Or is it all organise your own support?
    5. Where's the point of maximum despondency? :)

In terms of effort the Art O'Neill is much easier. While the distance of both is much the same, the Lug Walk has 51km mostly over rough ground from start to finish with a total ascent of 2590m. The Art O'Neill has a 30k road walk until you reach the hills and a further 10k of forest and other tracks to the finish, leaving only about 11k on rough mountain terrain. Also, it only has 1645m of total ascent over about four climbs as compared to fifteen ascents on the Lug Walk. Navigationally the Lug Walk is more difficult too. A decent Sunday hiker will manage the Art O'Neill but may struggle to complete the Lug Walk.

You can avoid the muck from Seefingan to Kippure by heading south-east over to a fence when you run out of ditch descending from Seefingan. After following the fence in the direction of sp.ht. 664 you'll need to head north-east to a coll to pick up a small ditch leading upwards to Kippure. To be honest I never do this myself, but rather carefully make my way after descending from Seefingan straight through the muck and before I know it I'm through it. Be careful, take your time, and you'll be glad you did.

From Lough Firrib make your way to sp.ht. 702. Then swing left in an arc which will get you around the muck. Personally I simply take my time from 702 and walk straight ahead alongside a muddy ditch to the right and soon I'm ascending Conavalla. Take your time, concentrate, and you'll be fine.

The organisers collect your change-of-clothes bag at the start and you pick it up at the finish. No other such facility is offered along the route. What you can do is to drive out by car to Sally Gap or Wicklow Gap (even Table Pass if you want to hike up to it) and leave supplies in one of the many heather-covered ditches in those parts. I've done this myself in the past.

The point of maximum despondency is usually at the Wicklow Gap. You will have come through very rough and tiring ground between Mullaghcleevaun and Tonelegee and reaching Wicklow Gap will tempt you to rethink going on to the finish. Many people also underestimate the journey from the Gap to the finish (thinking they're on the home straight) and then find themselves slowing down with tiredness as they struggle though very difficult terrain. By the way, if you don't reach Wicklow Gap at 2.30pm at the latest your control card will not be returned to you and you'll be requested to leave the walk. Some have foolishly refused to withdraw and found themselves coming down from Lugnaquilla around 11pm in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks like good fun, and as opposed to the Maamturks, I could navigate that with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back :) To be honest it's always been the road section of the AON that has put me off .. I can walk across rough ground all day, but 10km on the road and I'm finished.

Here's the application form, folks:

Lug Walk Registration.doc

There will be a limit of 200 applications accepted, in accordance with the Wicklow Mountains National Park guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 BriangC

Sounds like a tough walk. I would consider myself fairly fit and have done the ridge walk 20km along entire reeks from Gap of Dunloe to Glencar a few times and plenty 30km+ low level walks but this route looks a very different animal http://www.activeme.ie/guides/walks/lug-walk-challenge-dublin-and-wicklow/

On the reeks once your up to 900m on the eastern reeks it fairly easy going, straightforward and obvious with some good scrambling. What would be a comparable route to train on in Kerry?

Great info above on terrain, etc

I've been on the Reeks several times, Brian, but can't think of anything similar to the Lug Walk. The boggy up-and-down terrain of the Lug Walk makes it a tiring proposition, and if it's misty and raining then it becomes something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

When you've done, then's the Double Lug or perhaps the Hart Walk http://www.simonstewart.ie/Longwalk/HartWalk/hc_hart_walk.htm

Put us all to shame in days past.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BriangC

Ha, thats feckin crazy .... one person with hypothermia and one guy walks 150km in one go and in only 30hours? he looks pretty fresh faced :)

saying that, I just finished the surprisingly good Everest book by Bear grylls and what some people do is just amazing

• Advertisement

He had actually been walking non-stop since 8pm on the previous Thursday when he reached Wicklow Gap at 2pm on the Saturday. At that point he still had another six hours before he reached the finish - for the third time. Unfortunately he pulled something in his knee when finishing the second Lug at 2am on Saturday morning and hobbled painfully from there on the official Walk all the way to the finish. To date he has completed 74 Lug Walks and will be going for his 75th this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Three Lug's back to back.Crazy stuff and probably only one man who would attempt it.

Gravale you posted your Lug training schedule a while back and that may be good for people (particularly those local to Wicklow) to see and get a feel for the event. I cannot find the link at the moment but maybe you could put it up when you get time.

Good luck with it this year as well.

Here's a list of training hikes during which you'll cover 99% of the Lug Walk route. Their main purpose is familiarisation rather than claiming to provide all the physical training required for the challenge. The occasional longer hike around 30k would be helpful.

Lugtrain.doc

The Route:

Lug Walk (2).JPG

Here's the updated Lug Walk brochure:

2013  LUG WALK App. Form and notice for Web Sites.doc

....and registration form

Lug Walk Registration.doc

Here's the latest amended Application Form with the option of transport from Wicklow Gap if you have to withdraw at that stage.

LUG WALK 2013 - Application form.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SeanieCork

Anyone know if it is full at this stage or if there are still places, left before I send off our forms and cheque?

There are plenty of places left, Seanie. When we're full I'll post here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SeanieCork

Many thanks.

Here's the brochure:

2013  LUG WALK App. Form and Brochure.doc

.......and Application Form

Well, I've put my application in .. let's hope for some decent weather :D

• Advertisement

Oh, I forgot to mention that dry and sunny weather is guaranteed for the day.

Lug Walk 1999.

245 people started the walk this year. The weather deteriorated after most walkers had gone into the last third (after Wicklow Gap). For "conservation reasons" the walk had been re-routed via Benleagh, which also added perhaps 30 min to the walk. Given poor visibility, a longer route and a reasonably large number of people who had made it into the last third, there were difficulties.

These included a case of hypothermia, one participant and two organisers staying out over night and various organisational difficulties. The organisers were, to put it mildly, up into the early hours of the next day. 185 finished.

Oh, I forgot to mention that dry and sunny weather is guaranteed for the day.
    I would expect no less :)

Well, that's me registered ... no backing out now :D I'm only number 19, so plenty of places left.

There's always a rush in the week beforehand, with people begging for a place at the last minute.

If anyone is skilled at using their gps I can send them the gpx file for the Lug Walk. It's not meant to be a replacement for good navigation skills but may be of help. Private message me with your email address and I'll send it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Are there still any places available this year?

Yes, Siobhán. Here's the brochure and application form:

2013  LUG WALK App. Form and Brochure.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 14 snowy393

Hello,

I am interested in taking part in the lug walk this year. I have walked up lug a good number of times from baravore car park. I did the coumloughra horseshoe loop in kerry also recently. I would not have the navigational experience to complete this long route by myself and I dont know anyone else who would be interested in taking on this event this year. Are there any guided groups that can be joined or does everyone/every group navigate their own route.

I'm afraid there's no organised guided group, Snowy. Everyone navigates for themselves, though many without navigational skills attach themselves to friends who can guide them on the day. On a clear summers day you might get away with following the crowd, but over 51km you could find yourself on your own at some stage. The average finishing time would be 14-16 hours, and if your navigation wasn't great then it could be a long day. You have to reach Wicklow Gap (30k) no later than 2.30pm, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 snowy393

Thanks for the info Gravale.
    I did the Blackstairs walk last weekend which was 32km, 1500m ascent and I completed it in 8 hours. I think that I would be fit enough to complete the lug walk after dong this. I didnt have any real navigation to do on this walk as I was close to a bunch of people for most of it.
    I am still thinking of signing up for the lug walk and getting one of the garmin gps map devices to aid with my navigation if I get into trouble with the map and compass. I will do a few parts of the lug walk in the coming weeks to familiarize myself with sections of the course.
    I have walked to the top of lug in fog and whiteout conditions and understand how dangerous the hills are when visibility is low. I could drop out at some of the checkpoints if the weather conditions proved too testing, like fog or cloud cover for the entire course, even at the lower parts.

Would you be happy to allow someone enter with this approach?

Advertisement