Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lug Walk 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

You seem to have a good level of fitness, Snowy, and I reckon that you could complete the Lug Walk if you paced yourself correctly.

If you do get a gps device there is a track available for uploading onto it. The Garmin Etrex 10 is a cheap but excellent model and comes highly recommended:

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10998270/art/garmin/etrex-10-hiking-gps.html

You need to get to the Wicklow Gap (30km) no later than 2.30pm on the day, so starting at 5am you have 9½ hours to get there. You then have another 21k to the finish over some tiring terrain.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Hi Snowy.
    I'm signed up for the walk and will be doing it on my own. Drop me a pm if you wish, maybe our pace is compatible, if even for some of the walk.
    Never done it before but am reasonably fit and comfortable with the navigation.
    Was down on the Blackstairs too on sat., we may even have already met:D
    PS Despite the username I'm male:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SeanieCork

Hi, is it ok to park in Darcy McGee’s Pub car park for the day? Or (driving up from Cork early in the morning) is there another or better option? Thanks!

I'm glad you asked that, Seanie.

Unauthorised cars left in Darcy McGee's on the day will be clamped. However, we have received a dispensation from the place and you'l be given a ticket to display in your car to prevent such an occurrence.

I'll post further details when they come to hand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was planning on getting the missus to drop me and one or two of my fellow walkers off at or as close as possible to the start ... that's not a problem, I take it? The road is a bit narrow IIRC, so if there were any parked cars it might make turning round a bit tricky.

• Advertisement

You can do that, but be prepared for the fact that many others will be doing it too on this very narrow road which will also have two large buses bringing walkers to the start. Try to get your missus to avoid doing her car turn-around at the actual start/check-in (she'll be discouraged/prevented), but rather to drop you off then proceed further onwards before making her turn at a suitable spot.

Last time some inconsiderate drivers decided to occupy the space at the start which caused great hassle to the other participants. When you get there just get out of your car with your gear and let your driver proceed immediately - after a few kisses and hugs, of course. ;)

SeanieCork wrote: »
    Hi, is it ok to park in Darcy McGee’s Pub car park for the day? Or (driving up from Cork early in the morning) is there another or better option? Thanks!

A message from the main organiser:

Re driving from Cork and leaving his car at Darby McGees - All I can say is that the Manager of the pub Harry Farrell said it would be ok to park near the entrance. We are issuing parking cards to everyone who intends to park there for the day. I will talk to the Manager again coming up to the event and remind him about the day. Get Seanie's phone number and I'll ring him before the day to let him know for definite whether he can park there without being clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Gravale can I get the gpx from you please ?

Send me a message with your email address and I'll send you the gpx file. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Hi Gravale,
    just out of curiosity, why does the list of kit required for the Lug Walk, list 'Wicklow Sheet 56' as in 'have windproof, waterproof clothing, a rucksack and wear proper hiking boots; have a first aid kit, and emergency food and drink, have a compass, whistle and Wicklow Sheet 56'??

I presume people can use my EastWest Mapping publications for Wicklow, even if it means they need to carry three sheets? Or either OSI or EastWest digital maps on GPS devices etc.

Might be more helpful to just say 'suitably detailed mapping' or along those lines?? Thx

• Advertisement

BarryD wrote: »
    Hi Gravale,
    I presume people can use my EastWest Mapping publications for Wicklow, even if it means they need to carry three sheets? Or either OSI or EastWest digital maps on GPS devices etc. Might be more helpful to just say 'suitably detailed mapping' or along those lines?? Thx

You are quite correct, Barry. By default I usually carry your maps. The only advantage of the OSI 56 map is that the entire walk (apart from a tiny bit of forest trail at the start) is illustrated on it. If people were to purchase your three maps and walked the Wicklow Hills regularly then they would be of great value, as I've found out myself. Others who don't walk the Wicklow Hills might not be inclined to make the three-map purchase. We'll certainly take your suggestion into consideration when indicating the items required and mention your excellent maps.

Those of you who would like to contact Barry regarding his excellent maps might like to visit his website: http://www.eastwestmapping.ie/

Thx and yes of course, I understand your point re coverage.

Gravale, there seems to be a few discrepancies between the information sheet supplied together with the application form and the Control Card I received.

Firstly the start .. is it at O 075 207 as per the control card, or at O 073 201 as per the information sheet?

Secondly, the cutoff time for the Sally Gap CP is shown as 09:00 on the control card, and 09:30 on the information sheet. Which is correct?

And finally, on the WAI website there is mention of another cutoff at Turlough Hill "Upr" (wherever that might be!) at 15:30. Does that exist?

Alun wrote: »
    Gravale, there seems to be a few discrepancies between the information sheet supplied together with the application form and the Control Card I received.

Firstly the start .. is it at O 075 207 as per the control card, or at O 073 201 as per the information sheet?

Secondly, the cutoff time for the Sally Gap CP is shown as 09:00 on the control card, and 09:30 on the information sheet. Which is correct?

And finally, on the WAI website there is mention of another cutoff at Turlough Hill "Upr" (wherever that might be!) at 15:30. Does that exist?

To confirm, the starting point is O:073 201. You cannot fail to miss it as it will be very obvious on this lonely, narrow stretch of road. Note, however, that Coillte are felling a lot of forest in that area and they might have disrupted the access to the first mountain, Seahan, by June 22nd. No problem though, as we will just make a slight adjustment on the day.

The cut-off time for the Sally Gap checkpoint (which is at the car-park north of Sally Gap) is 9am. Note also that the distance from the start to here is only 12k with 517m of total ascent, so that gives plenty of time for people to get there as the first checkpoint opens at 5am. Even my granny could manage that. ;)

You must arrive at the Wicklow Gap no later than 2.30pm. There will be no Turlough Hill cut-off point, but there will be a cut-off point at Table Track at 5.30pm.

Good luck. ;)

Thanks Gravale, it's not a big deal, although it might be an idea to make the powers that be aware of the inconsistencies nonetheless.

Regarding the Sally Gap cut-off time, I heard from someone who did it one year who said the buses from Darcy McGee's left late meaning they didn't get moving until long after 6, in which case that extra half hour could be the difference between making it and not, depending on fitness levels of course, and no, she wasn't my granny :)

Regarding the Sally Gap cut-off time, I heard from someone who did it one year who said the buses from Darcy McGee's left late meaning they didn't get moving until long after 6, in which case that extra half hour could be the difference between making it and not

Yes, I remember that instance with the late-arriving bus. We'll take into consideration any similar occurrence and exercise flexibility at the Sally Gap checkpoint. We have to be fairly strict at the Wicklow Gap with the 2.30pm cut-off time though - unless you can present a good case for being allowed to go on, namely being fit enough to reach the remaining checkpoints before they close. It's 21k to the finish from there (as much as six hours or more for some tired bodies) so our volunteers won't fancy hanging around beyond their allotted time. One couple who had been advised to not continue at Wicklow Gap didn't arrive at the finish until nearly 11pm last time. Nobody was there to greet them, of course. In 1999 one guy had to stay out overnight near Ben Leagh because he got lost.

Hi Guys,

I recently sent some of you a file for your gps units. However, I'm investigating tomorrow the huge felling of trees which has just occurred at the start of the Lug Walk. This may result in a moving of the start to a point about 500m south on the same road. I'm doing the full Lug Walk tomorrow and will re-send you the file again which will be then be up-to-date.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the original file I sent you was the route in reverse. I usually start at the finish (Fenton's pub) and make my way back to the official start in Co. Dublin. So if you plan to use it before I send you the new one then reverse the track on your gps.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi Gravale

Just wondering if there are many places left? I hope to be able to send off an entry for 2 people next week.

Yes, we've been up there too recently recceing the start. We were originally planning on starting from the official start at the top of the rise in the road, but had to move because of a timber lorry wanting to get access, so started from the more southerly one. We followed the obvious track from there, and then managed to find a way through the remaining trees to the edge of the forest at the base of Seahan but it wasn't great, as the path marked on the E-W maps is blocked by fallen trees from the edge of the forest at the start. Plus even when you do get out of the trees, you then have to clamber over loads of loose branches and stuff before you get onto anything like open ground. Coming from the original start, the track you took seems to have developed into two huge deep ruts in the ground which would be OK in the dry but turn into a quagmire in the wet.

EDIT: Just read your post more carefully, so you're talking about moving to another point further south .. I was thinking about the point further north, sorry. Will be interested seeing your track!

TheBody wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are many places left? I hope to be able to send off an entry for 2 people next week.

Yes, there are plenty of places left. ;)

• Advertisement

The start used to be from the Stone Cross and went up over Slievenabawnoge, it's a few years since I did the Lug Walk clearly! Why & when was this start shifted? Was it when the forest was planted on Slievenabawnoge? Issues with private land? There is a path there up through this young forest - it starts close to the Stone Cross via a dirt road entrance and that was OK when I was last there about a year ago. I understand at least one well established Dublin club uses another route up over this hill, marked in part on current edition of Dublin & North Wicklow map, but that might be more questionable..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

Gravale wrote: »
    Yes, there are plenty of places left. ;)

Great. Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, we've been up there too recently recceing the start. We were originally planning on starting from the official start at the top of the rise in the road, but had to move because of a timber lorry wanting to get access, so started from the more southerly one. We followed the obvious track from there, and then managed to find a way through the remaining trees to the edge of the forest at the base of Seahan but it wasn't great, as the path marked on the E-W maps is blocked by fallen trees from the edge of the forest at the start. Plus even when you do get out of the trees, you then have to clamber over loads of loose branches and stuff before you get onto anything like open ground. Coming from the original start, the track you took seems to have developed into two huge deep ruts in the ground which would be OK in the dry but turn into a quagmire in the wet.

EDIT: Just read your post more carefully, so you're talking about moving to another point further south .. I was thinking about the point further north, sorry. Will be interested seeing your track!

Yes, Alun, the route you mention was the route I always took when doing the Lug Walk solo. However, as you say. it's an unpleasant way to do it now. I'll be reviewing one or two tracks and will get back to you all when a final one has been decided upon. Otherwise everything else remains the same.

BarryD wrote: »
    The start used to be from the Stone Cross and went up over Slievenabawnoge, it's a few years since I did the Lug Walk clearly! Why & when was this start shifted? Was it when the forest was planted on Slievenabawnoge? Issues with private land?

Yes, Barry, the organisers changed the start of the Lug Walk due to exactly what you mentioned above. No doubt new starting points will have to be considered in future due to the changing landscape.

Heading down to Ballinclea shortly for a 4am solo Lug Walk from there to the Old Mill, Tallaght. That's 62km with 2725m total ascent.

Lug Walk (62k).jpg

I'll keep an eye out for you coming in the opposite direction .. doing Sally Gap - Wicklow Gap and back via Knocknaclohoge / Luggala tomorrow. Not starting quite so early though :) Say hi to Aaron!

Here's an illustration of the new starting point. It reflects the new entrance onto the hills after checking in at the original location.

The check-in point is the same as always but you then walk about 500m south along the tarmac road before turning left onto a prominent forest trail. This trail goes straight upwards to join a track to Seahan.

Lug Walk 2013 (c).jpg

That certainly looks like the best alternative, it beats hacking your way through the forest, especially when still half asleep at 5am :) Good to meet you on the Barnacullian yesterday BTW

Yes, same here. Meeting people on long walks always brightens up one's day. ;)

When I finished the Lug yesterday I spent some time wandering around various access routes. Every one of them was so encumbered by the debris of tree-felling. Walkers could get through it but it would have been a horrible experience so early in the morning, as you say. The new start is a very pleasant introduction to the open mountain.

Some pictures from yesterday's efforts.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151697176760460.1073741832.698140459&type=1

• Advertisement

I always get annoyed when fairly obvious, well worn habitual access routes through, or along the edge of forestry to open ground like that get totally ruined by felling operations. It would be nice if Coillte made some effort to either avoid wrecking these while felling by consulting either Barry's excellent maps or by making contact with the WAI for example, or at least repaired them in some way afterwards by removing the piles of brushwood or clearing abandoned felled or uprooted trees blocking routes, but I guess that's too much to ask.

Advertisement