Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lug Walk 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Saturday is almost upon us - and so is the rain!

Lug Walk (Firrib) 003.jpg

After the Sally Gap checkpoint go down to the Sally Gap crossroads. Turn right and look out for this sign on the left. Initially the excellent track all the way to the top will be indistinct, but shortly it'll become very obvious.

Lug Walk (Firrib).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are signposts? I'm surprised, to be honest.

Yes, signs up to the first mountain, Seahan, then a sign up to Carrivoher and a sign over to Lough Firrib. That's it!

We know how to spoil people. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

My mood swings between excitement to get started and then asking myself am a crazy!!

• Advertisement

Gravale wrote: »
    Yes, signs up to the first mountain, Seahan, then a sign up to Carrivoher and a sign over to Lough Firrib. That's it!

We know how to spoil people. ;)
    Ah, that's OK then ... I thought I'd be able to leave my map and compass at home there for a moment :D

"...but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear." D&C 38:30

"...but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear." D&C 38:30

Ha ha!! Ah I'll be fine. I've done a few long walks in the past.

Anyone expecting to be collected from the finish by friends or family should be aware that they cannot get there through Donard after turning off at the Old Toll House Pub on the N81. The road is closed.

Continue south on the N81 for a further 4.8km and turn left at the signpost. This will lead you to Knockanarrigan and straight on to the finish at Fentons (Imaal Bar).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Any signage for the carpark in Darcy McGee's ? Just wondering. I'll be getting a cab for around 0400 so just trying to make sure of meeting up rather than having to get a cab to the start point.

• Advertisement

Every cab driver in Dublin will know Darcy McGee's, so you'll have no problem getting there. Check this out: http://www.darcymcgeesatthespawell.ie/spawell_location.php

Volunteers for the Lug Walk on Saturday gathered this evening to receive final instructions.

Lug Walk '13 003.jpg

Doesn't seem so bad when seen like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3hgxnAXEmw

Doesn't seem so bad when seen like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3hgxnAXEmw
    On a good note it appears from some forecasts as if the rain showers tomorrow may be a little patchier and less heavy than first expected :)

Alun wrote: »
    On a good note it appears from some forecasts as if the rain showers tomorrow may be a little patchier and less heavy than first expected :)

I noticed that. Fingers crossed!!

The 53-seater bus driver says that he'll arrive at Darcy McGee's any time after 4am and then depart for the check-in at 4.40am with those who have indicated that they'll be availing of the bus. The bus will be available also at the finish for those who have likewise indicated.

Good luck with this.

Good luck with this.
    Thanks, it's going to be a wet and windy day to be sure .. still, any walk with a pub at the end of it can't be all bad :)

Well, that was fun :) Finished in 14h40m which was close to what I had expected. Weather wasn't great overall, with constant rain for the first 45-50mins and occasional, sometimes heavy showers after that combined with strong gusty winds. Last couple of hours were dry thankfully.

I'd like to offer a big thanks to the organizers in making this possible. A real challenge!

Thanks, Alun. Glad you 'enjoyed' it. I pottered around after everyone had left the check-in and finished in 12h33m. It was my 76th completed Lug Walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Well done to all who took part in the Lug walk. Irrespective of end result it looks like a tough event and not for the faint hearted. I experienced the rain in Wicklow yesterday and it could not have improved the ground conditions for the event particularly on some of the boggy sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

thanks folks; a mate and myself made up the caboose and finished in 16h49m. What a day.

Well done to the organising committee. What an event. The weather didn't make our lives easier!! Roll on 2015!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paddyman38

I enjoyed the lug walk on saturday, conditions were bad, but did a decent time of 10hrs 50mins. The walk was very well organised with food at some of the checkpoints especially wicklow gap were it was needed. The Irish ramblers did a great job especially the volunteers who were at some of the exposed checkpoints in terrible conditions, its much appreciated by us hikers. Thanks

Well done, Paddy. That was an excellent time for the journey. :)

I'm just going out now to take down the route signs.

137 entries, 114 starters, 90 finished. Best time Karl McGovern (Wayfarer) 10.09; Gerry Baxter 10.46 (Irish Ramblers). Last two walkers finished at 21.42.

That's some going ! According to my GPS, even if I'd never stopped for a second it would still have taken me just over 12 hours :D

The slowest leg by far was Firrib to Conavalla .. the muck was horrendous and badly churned up by the people who'd gone before us. At one stage during training, we were contemplating taking a sweeping route from Firrib towards 3 Lakes and then skirting underneath Table to get to Table Track instead of the direct route over Conavalla which may well have been quicker in retrospect.

I actually followed the direct route (below) to Conavalla through the bog, threading very carefully over familiar ground with the essential trekking pole.

Firrib - Conavalla.jpg

Firrib - Conavalla (aerial).jpg

That's essentially the same route we took, aimed high above Firrib right onto the top of the ridge, followed it along and then straight along the right hand side of the big central gully through the middle of the muck, hugging the sides of the peat hags to the summit. Problem was the some of the tracks across the gaps had been badly churned up and some of the people ahead and behind us nearly came a cropper so we took a few small detours to the right a few times as you can clearly see :)

• Advertisement

Fortunately there had only been one or two before me on my journey through the mud. Some that I met afterwards had taken a wide circle eastwards from 702 and avoided much of the bog. One guy got stuck in it for about ten minutes.

Advertisement