Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving licence history report

Options
  • 13-03-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I was wondering for the purposes of showing evidence of driving experience and no claims in Ireland, did I simply contact my local motor tax office to obtain these documents for proof of driving experience and no claims?

any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I needed to get a Certified Details of my Driving license for signing up to Car2Go..... which doesn't cover the no claims..... but might be useful. I had contacted my local Motor Tax Office, then emailed me a form which filled out and paid 15euro or something like that, and a week later got the Certified Driving Details. Best bet is to contact your local Motor Tax Office anyway.

For proof of no claims.... do you have any no claims with an irish car insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

fergusb wrote: »
    I needed to get a Certified Details of my Driving license for signing up to Car2Go..... which doesn't cover the no claims..... but might be useful. I had contacted my local Motor Tax Office, then emailed me a form which filled out and paid 15euro or something like that, and a week later got the Certified Driving Details. Best bet is to contact your local Motor Tax Office anyway.

For proof of no claims.... do you have any no claims with an irish car insurance company?

thanks for the advice, yeah I was thinking I needed to contact my local motor tax office, yes I have no claims 6 going on 7 years, would a letter from insurance company suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 locoo

I have been asked for a 5 year abstract. Anybody willing to share their experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vankano

Contact your local motor tax office. Sometimes companies will look for the abstract to be issued by the provincial authorities such as ICBC in BC so the abstract can be sent to them and then forwarded on to the company.

If you are buying a car in Canada get your no claims letters from Ireland sent out and can save you a fair chunk of money on your premiums. (Providing you have a Canadian licence)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Hi Gary,

I rang the motor tax office in Letterkenny about this yesterday. The letter is a letter of entitlement, they knew straight away when I asked them. It has to be issued from the Motor Tax Office in Lifford. You have to put your request in writing and it costs €6.

She said to either post a letter to them with a cheque or whatever or to call to Lifford. It's as handy for me just to call to Lifford. So I'm going to type out the letter & take it and my €6 to the office next week.

The address is:
    Driving Licence Section
    Donegal County Council
    3 River Centre
    Lifford
    Co Donegal

If it is too far away for you. I also got a letter to confirm my no claims discount from Aviva. I'm sure any Insurance company will send that out for you. I requested it when I cancelled my policy.

Best of luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

Re the No Claims Discount type letter, when I was renewing my Irish car insurance last November the broker I was using asked me to send back in to them the No Claims letter that I had received (from them), so I did. But I queried it & said that I wanted it back, which they said that they would do but they also went to great lengths to explain to me that it didn't really belong to me & that it was only valid with them & not with any insurer, blah blah. I couldn't understand their explanation, & asked them to clarify & I just got the same story. It doesn't really make sense to me & I was a fair bit peed off.
    So what they sent me back wasn't the same thing at all, but a version of the same info in a less clear format. I regret not taking a simple photocopy of the original letter!

Sorry if the above is a bit unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bizguy

Does anyone know when you can get the driving details and insurance history reports and ensure they're accepted over there...the day/week/month before you plan on buying a car in canada? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

bizguy wrote: »
    Does anyone know when you can get the driving details and insurance history reports and ensure they're accepted over there...the day/week/month before you plan on buying a car in canada? Thanks

I think they have to be issued within 3 months. I got mine the week before I left just to be sure and I used them within a month and all worked out ok. So if you can as close to your leaving date as possible would be good. I know it's different now though, I just had to call into the tax office to get mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I got mine done by emailing the NDLS from Canada. I had been out of Ireland for 8 months. I paid them by card over the phone and they emailed me my full driver record (it was for company insurance on an irish license) within 24 hours. Cost 15 Euro (plus a 3 euro phone call) and was pretty much painless.

Slightly unrelated word of advice! If you're taking your drivers license, or any other important documents over there. Photocopy/scan/or email them to yourself. It's so much easier to replace lost stuff when you have a photocopy of it. Also if you plan on driving over here, go to NDLS and report your license lost so you can get a spare. ICBC won't give you a BC license (same in other provinces) without taking an irish license from you (so have a spare).

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Peleus wrote: »
    I got mine done by emailing the NDLS from Canada. I had been out of Ireland for 8 months. I paid them by card over the phone and they emailed me my full driver record (it was for company insurance on an irish license) within 24 hours. Cost 15 Euro (plus a 3 euro phone call) and was pretty much painless.

Slightly unrelated word of advice! If you're taking your drivers license, or any other important documents over there. Photocopy/scan/or email them to yourself. It's so much easier to replace lost stuff when you have a photocopy of it. Also if you plan on driving over here, go to NDLS and report your license lost so you can get a spare. ICBC won't give you a BC license (same in other provinces) without taking an irish license from you (so have a spare).

I emailed info@ndls.ie with my license number but haven't gotten a response. What did you send them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 thedonald

I did this today. The process has changed. The motor taxation office passed me over to NDLS

It is now operated by
    NATIONAL DRIVER LICENSE SERVICE ndls . ie
    Phone 0761087880

It is called a DRIVER STATEMENT
    I did it over the phone
    Gave them my pps number and other identifying info and paid 15 euro by visa debit. / cc.

The statement will be processed in 72hours and sent to the address on my license.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement