Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benefits and sabbatical.

• 13-03-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

this is my first post in this section, sorry if its the wrong section. I have a question about sabbatical leave.

Basically, I am a single mother, my 2.5 year old has an incurable heart condition and we are on the way to great ormond street in london soon, where he'll be reviewed for the heart transplant list.

I already receive domicilliary allowance and loan parents. I work 15 hours a week at present in a permanent job. I applied for carers allowance last july and have been told it will be July 2013 before I hear back, but based on my sons medical needs and my financial status I shouldn't have a problem getting the half rate carers allowance.

The problem is that due to my sons condition, last year I had to take an inordinate amount of time off when he was in and out of hospital. My employers are uk based and are now saying that they cannot facilitate these days off anymore whether they are payed or unpaid (I thought I was entitled to take up to 18 weeks parental leave??).

If my son does have a transplant, I've already been told I won't be able to work for at least a year after as he'll be on anti-rejection meds etc and etc and I'll need to be administering them, the transplant liason team at OLHSC won't stand over anyone else administering them.

My job have given me the following option: That I go on sabbatical leave for an indefinate time, from now until my son is a year over transplant.
    This means my job is safe when I am able to work again.

Obviously I won't be paid, which poses a problem. Can I claim jobseekers benefit? or the full rate of carers allowance?

Thanks in advance for any info you might have on this.

Comments

Advertisement