Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Video Game Lingo

• 13-03-2013 5:37pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Just reading a gaming article that had a lot of video game lingo in it.
    Got me thinking about how much of it I know.
    Anyway a few of my favourite ones over the years have been.

Vulching.

Combat Flight Simulators equivelent of spawning camping. Attacking planes as they took off or where landing. Historically this was a valid tactic in World War 2 where the Allies just couldn't catch the German Me 262 jet fighter in combat, so they target the airfields where it was based and shot them down as they landed (the 262 had extremely limited manuverability at low speeds). In online flight sims this was considered extremely bad manners, and resulted in players been kicked from servers. However some people attempted to abuse this by trying to land when they their loosing a dogfight and sought safety on the ground. I never respected that viewpoint and shot them down them anyway, but I did let my opponents get airborne if they where taking off :P

Vortex.
    Fighting game lingo, most commonly associated with Street Fighter 4 and the character Akuma. Describes a passage of play that sees one character knock down another and then preform an attack on the opponent as he/she rise froms a knockdown that forces them to guess to escape or block the attack. The odds of guessing right is normally 50% or less. If they guess wrong they are knocked down again and forced into the same guess again. The odds of the attacking player getting hit are low so its a very powerful tactic.

Online Warrior:
    Another fighting game term thats often used in a slightly derogatory fashion but most frequently as harmless humor. Refers to players who use tactics they have learnt primarily from online play where lag can can contribute to the tactics success but becomes exposed as fradulent when used in a lagless offline enviroment.

Camper/Turtle/Lame
    Refers to imobile style of defensive play in FPS/RTS/Fighting games.

Kyting
    RTS tactic of staying within range of your units weapons but outside that of your opponents. If your opponent moves forward you move back with equal or greater speed. Your always in range to attack them but they can't close the range down to attack you.

Cheese/cheesy
    Used in many games referred to overpowered or easy characters/factions. Like the Necrons in Dawn of War. Certain types of tactics in RTS games like rushing are often called cheesy.

Derp/Derpy
    Used in fighting games to refer to so called easy mode characters that have hard to avoid attack sets ups that are easy to implement or characters that do above normal damage.

Save Scummers.
    People who play turn based games and save after every turn. If they next turn is unfavourable they simply keep reloading the last save until they get a favourable outcome and simply rinse and repeat the process until they beat the game. Can be countered with the use of an Iron man no player save system.

Scrub.
    Effectively a bad player/sore looser who makes up his own personal honor rules that everyone should play by and if they don't he complains and moan to them. Examples would be a person who demands "no throwing in a fighting game, because its too cheap!".

Anyone else want to share a few?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Tea-bagging: it's when you go afk and have a nice refreshment

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Paul1990

Dickhead: Players of Fifa 13 who ssshhh, cup the ear, draw out goal celebrations, pass it around the back with a 1-0 lead and don't skip the pre and post match screens.

''Wanker'' and ''prick'' are also applicable to these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Downy Term I've heard over and over in L4D2 when playing alongside Sye or Marshbaboob to refer to ANY player of even average skill who'd cause a loss of a round :P

F*cking Jet/Tank whore People in BF2/3 who will sit at spawn locations all day long if need be just waiting for said vehicle , won't contribute to battle unless they are in that vehicle, and often times aren't any use

Feeder Someone who just dies to the enemy team constantly , allowing the opposition to level up quicker, mostly in likes of LoL or DOTA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

FAG : Hear this all the time on XBL, "fairly awesome gamer" I think it means.... such a friendly place that XBL. Couldn't recommend it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

F**king bullsh*t: The sole cause of death in any online fps.

Lag / Sorry Lag / Laaaaag: Terms used by really bad players to excuse their complete and utter ineptitude at a game, usually MMO players.

Leech: A person who joins your game and actively goes out of their way to do nothing and reap the benefits of your team/game/skill/hardwork.

Douche / Douchebag; Derogatory expression commonly used by people that have watched more southpark than trey parker and matt stone. Usually misspelled as doosh or d-bag.

Real-Life Threats Usually used by people you have repeatedly humiliated in a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Booster/Boosting usually in free-for-all games where two players on opposing teams arrange to meet in a remote corner of the map and boost their scores and challenge/achievements through allowing the other player to repeatedly kill them with headshots, frags etc. So common in MW2 with the tactical spawn perk :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hacker - Someone who manipulates coding or glitches to give themselves an unfair advantage such as unlimited health, ammo, increased speed etc

Hacker (if said by a 12-18 year old) - Someone who is better at the game than they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Paul1990 wrote: »
    Dickhead: Players of Fifa 13 who ssshhh, cup the ear, draw out goal celebrations, pass it around the back with a 1-0 lead and don't skip the pre and post match screens.

''Wanker'' and ''prick'' are also applicable to these people.

That's a bad thing? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Stronk - A thing/player is overpowered. Pasha is too stronk !

Onliner - Someone who sucks at a game on lan (Typically a cheater)

GL HF - Good Luck Have Fun

Faceroll - What Deathknights had to do to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nice idea. But I'm fairly sure "kyting" is supposed to be "kiting".

As in flying a kite. I think thats where the RTS parlance originated from anyway. As in no matter where the kite goes, you will always be the same distance from it because it's on a string. Picture a child running after a kite yet never catching it. :p

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    That's a bad thing? :(

Of course it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Twinking when a higher level player helps a lower player level up or get good loot

also when you tell other players to zip up their mickeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I came across something called "pullers" or "pulling" in a f2p game years ago. Allegedly these players would pull out and quickly replace their ethernet cable so they would lag and ghost around to avoid being hit. Surely that's absolute rubbish. I never believed it could be done. Let alone someone timing the game with pulling out a cable, but not being dropped from the server in the process.

Also ghosting is when you lag so badly that you're character jumps around erratically and is very difficult to register hits on. Depending on the netcode for the game, this can be an advantage or (usually) a disadvantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"Fcuking Lag!" kills more people than anything else in COD.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

"GG"

Used to show respect for an opponent whose skill and determination have contributed to an excellent match or series of matches. Plural - GGs

Player 1 - "GG"
    Player 2 - "Yeah GG WP" (well played)

Used more often in other circumstances...

Player 1 - "Fcuk you you fcuking runaway scrub, come at my Zangief you fcuking p*ssy fag. ****ing runaway DeeJay scrub. I'll rape your f@ggoty sister when I go to the UK"
    Player 2 - "GG"
    Player 1 - "**** you f@g, you cant play good, that was fcuking luck and you know it. Sick of you fcuking lagging cheating fcuks"
    Player 2 - "Tks GG"
    Player 1 - "Play me FT5 you f@g I'll rape you"
    Player 2 - "Sure"

I win 0-4, he quits during 5th game.

Wait approximately 2 minutes...

Player 2 - GGs

There is also the "Offensive GG" which is common enough in StarCraft 2 and is the height of bad manners.

When a player has the game seemingly won, the losing player would type "gg" which indicates he is tapping out.

An offensive GG is when the winning player types it preemptively suggesting to the losing player to "GTFO". I have not been unknown to place building all around the map and go make a cup of tea to prolong the game, just to annoy the other player. There are the odd occasions where you can swing the game after an offensive gg, perhaps you were buying time until a powerful tech was being researched. This is usually followed by a barrage of offensive gg's from my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Booth Bunnies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Of course it is!

But if Im winning a football match by a single goal and its near the end Im going to go to a defensive formation and try and kill out the game. All my mates do the same and it would be weird for someone to get upset.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    But if Im winning a football match by a single goal and its near the end Im going to go to a defensive formation and try and kill out the game. All my mates do the same and it would be weird for someone to get upset.

There's a difference between going defensive while still playing the game normally and passing it around the back 4 and keeper.

One is sensible, one is being a dick.

There's a difference between going defensive while still playing the game normally and passing it around the back 4 and keeper.

One is sensible, one is being a dick.

It's a legitimate strategy. Anything you can do within the limitations of the game if fair imo. It's up to the developers to remove any of these exploits. Unfortunately, I don't see football getting patched anytime soon :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Llama used to be a term used in pc fps games, probably from quake 1 up to half life. It meant a player who knew how to play the game, but would play intentionally poorly. Probably predates griefer.

TomCo wrote: »
    Llama used to be a term used in pc fps games, probably from quake 1 up to half life. It meant a player who knew how to play the game, but would play intentionally poorly. Probably predates griefer.

I always thought that was an extension of "lamer"

CareBear. A player who ignores the cut-throat element of player vs player games and instead of killing his opponents, insists on helping others often to his detrement.

This often leads to the CareBear raging in frustration when others kill him as he "can't understand why they are being so mean!" :p

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Smurf
    Normally used in RTS games. Refers to a high level player who uses another account to hid his idenity. Done for a number of reasons.

This allows the player to try out experimental tactics without risk of loosing his rank or ranking points on his main account. Can also be done to simply hide ones idenitity, if he is a well known player his tactics might be well known. Can also be used for griefing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Grimebox wrote: »
    I always thought that was an extension of "lamer"

Nope, I think people forgot what it meant and dismissed it as another way of calling someone a noob.

It's always interesting when that happens though. Like "pwned" just being an "owned" typo and yet it became part of the gaming lexicon.

A more real world example might be the term "Old School" which makes zero sense. It makes alot more when you realise it is just a mishearing of the worlds "Old's cool!" or Old is cool.

Advertisement