Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castletown or Ryevale in Leixlip??

Options
  • 13-03-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I have two small children and am considering a move to Leixlip. We have more or less narrowed down the search to either of these two estates. Ryevale seems nice and with bigger houses, but very quiet with mainly older families with no shops within walking distance. The Castletown houses appear smaller and cheaper to buy but I'm not too sure which area would be better for a young family.

Is there anyone who would know Leixlip well enough to mention issues, problems, the advantages and disadvantages of these two estates? Any observations would be great. As it's a big purchase, I want to be as informed as possible.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Bigger houses ,quiet with older residents can NEVER be a bad thing!Sure Castletown is a bit closer to shops if youre walking -otherwise its irrelevant .Castletown seems like a grand area anyway .At one stage I THINK Ryevale was a transition zone for kids going from one side of Leixlip to another to the Hitchin Post discos but ,that was decades ago!I dont think youd go far wrong in either area but on balance Id go for Ryevale unless big difference in price .

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Hey Ben,

My partner and I have been renting a house in Castletown for 2 years now. From what we found is, where we are is very close to shops, do you drive? If so, Tescos, Aldi and Lidl are all within 10 minutes, if not, you have Euro spar or Spar which are max 5 mins walking.

You are max 5 mins walk from bus stops, 10 mins from the Train station.

With regards to the actual community, I personally find it to be a very mature and friendly community. I love it for a number of reasons, 1) it is very quiet (except for the 15 mins after schools finishes) 2) people actually will stop to have a conversation on the streets.

It is a slow pace of life and I love it.

Do you have any dogs? If so, there are two fantastic feilds within walking distance, 1) castletown house 2) the wonderful barn.

The only downside I found was, I am not sure about other houses in the estate, but would assume they are the same. But our house gets very very cold as it is very old. If we were to buy a house here, we know there would be alot of money needed to get the house to a "modern" state in terms of insilation etc. Also, the houses probably need to be rewired and such, typically the usual maintenance that needs to go into an old house. Having said that, I have no idea about Ryevale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

If it was a money no object thing, then almost anyone would buy in Ryevale, myself included.

There is a road running through Castletown that is used as a rat run from the Leixlip Celbridge road through to the Green lane and down Accommodation Road to the Leixlip Maynooth road.

Don't get me wrong, Castletown is a lovely estate, but if it were me, and money wasn't an issue, it'd be Ryevale all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BenBullBin

Thanks guys. It's really helpful to read stuff from people living in the area. Now for going to see some houses and dealing with estate agents :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

All estates in Leixlip are generally ok, there is a bit of social housing I think its called Loughnamona thats prob best to avoid. Not the worst place in the world but there are better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

I lived in Castletown as a kid and can wholeheartedly recommend it. Louisa Bridge station is only a short walk away through Oaklawn, the shops are convenient at either end of the estate and St Marys GAA is a sound place for a drink. You won't go wrong going to Castletown.

Advertisement