Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Mahon help.

• 13-03-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭

Mahon's dark vision of life is conveyed in poems that are both interesting and atmospheric.
    To what extent do you agree with this statement? In your answer you should refer to both style and subject matter. Support your answer with suitable referent to the poetry of Derek Mahon on your course.

I struggle with poetry </3 How would you go about answering this question?

Also, the poems I've done by Derek Mahon are Antarctica, As it Should Be, A Disused Shed in Co. Wexford, After the Titanic and A Day Trip to Donegal.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

I have this question to do as well.
    I don't think the poems you've studied are that suitable to the question.

A Disused Shed in Co.Wexford and After the Titantic are the only dark vision of life poems I know there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

As it should be is also dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Juloph

You can disagree as well, you know. We were given the marking scheme for this question as I have it for homework for next Wednesday. It says that the poems "day trip to Donegal", "after the Titanic", "as it should be", "Ecclesiastes", "A disused shed in county Wexford", "Rathlin" and "Antarctica" all contain some dark themes. But "Grandfather", "The Chinese Restaurant in Portrush" and "Antarctica" are not dark poems.
    And they say "through his style, Mahon creates many different atmospheres:
    he uses many different, and often very difficult, forms and handles them very skilfully
    descriptions are often economical and precise
    his language is colloquial, often vernacular
    his wonderful imagery vividly conveys the places he describes and the atmosphere of those places, etc."
    So, yes, have fun.
    I hate poetry, so I'm glad our teacher gave us the marking scheme this question. At least I know what sort of things to discuss this time.

Advertisement