Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visonic powermax complete or powermaster 10/30

Options
  • 13-03-2013 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    So ive installed a couple of visonic alarms before and very happy with their cost and reliability .I have to install a wireless alarm soon and wondering should i go for the new range visonic powermaster g 10 and 30 or just stick with the complete model,im wondering is the complete going to be phased out in favour of these new model powermaster?.i take it the powermaster models are more expensive? ,im not looking for anything too high end and the complete would suffice for the needs of this persons home.i have also looked at the hkc quantum kit and it seems a good bit dearerespecially when you add on extra pirs contacts etc.also the hkc wireless inertia door contact seems very big not discrete.also ive heard good reports about honeywell wireless kits,an installer friend is using these instead of hkc ,reckons they are more reliable and has less call backs with issues not that he has many anyway.anyway just looking for advice cheers.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

bazbrady wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    So ive installed a couple of visonic alarms before and very happy with their cost and reliability .I have to install a wireless alarm soon and wondering should i go for the new range visonic powermaster g 10 and 30 or just stick with the complete model,im wondering is the complete going to be phased out in favour of these new model powermaster?.i take it the powermaster models are more expensive? ,im not looking for anything too high end and the complete would suffice for the needs of this persons home.i have also looked at the hkc quantum kit and it seems a good bit dearerespecially when you add on extra pirs contacts etc.also the hkc wireless inertia door contact seems very big not discrete.also ive heard good reports about honeywell wireless kits,an installer friend is using these instead of hkc ,reckons they are more reliable and has less call backs with issues not that he has many anyway.anyway just looking for advice cheers.:)

The Powermaster will be a cut above the older complete system when they have shock and inertia/contacts sensors for the system. It is also a two way system for the sensors, no sleep mode on detectors. As it is, all you would be able to install is contacts and motion along with safety devices. That is no real protection for any house. So for that reason alone the complete system is the one out of the Visonics You may be better off installing. I use the HKC Quantum kits and to be honest have had no problems with them. Price wise the two system would not have that much of a difference depending on what you need as extras.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi guys,

I've installed the Powermaster & tried out some of their shock sensors. IMO it would be worth waiting for.Some nice extra features & cost wise they are cheaper than the Quantum and also very close to the Powermax. The Powermaster 30 will be the better panel with the option of a wired bell as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

Is it true that if you use the voice dialler option all you hear at the other end of the line is a siren noise? They haven't included a voice message to tell you which zone was activated as they considered it too expensive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I don't think so. Are you confusing it with the GE system?

KoolKid wrote: »
    I've installed the Powermaster & tried out some of their shock sensors.

Are there shock sensors available for the Powermaster system?

• Advertisement

Is it true that if you use the voice dialler option all you hear at the other end of the line is a siren noise? They haven't included a voice message to tell you which zone was activated as they considered it too expensive.

You add your own voice message.
    Alarm activation, Panic activation at your address.

altor wrote: »
    Are there shock sensors available for the Powermaster system?

Not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

any idea on when the shock sensors will be available,also can i use the one hard wired zone on the powermaster 10 to install a wired bell.if not im thinking maybe with the fact visonic say 8 years for battery life i might just live with the wireless bell as the 10 is a bit cheaper than the 30 and not a huge difference from what i can see or am i missing something ?

I don't think so. Are you confusing it with the GE system?
    No I just remember Andy Bromley saying something about the Powermaster not giving details of zones over voice dialler but not sure on it as I haven't used Powermaster.

You add your own voice message.
    Alarm activation, Panic activation at your address.
    So you just hear your own voice then giving a basic message? It doesn't go on to detail the zones which caused the activation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Visonic sensors have no pulse detection .
    Wouldn't recommend this system unless you were only using reeds , pirs or acoustic glass break detectors ...

You wouldn't recommend Visonic shock sensors unless your only using contacts???:eek::confused:
    Contacts & PiRs would be a worse combination also. The contact would not activate unless the window contact was opened and a PiR won't activate until someone is in the house. How is this better than a shock and contact? :confused:
    And these recommendations are based on you installing how many systems?

Here is the manual for these sensors if anyone wants to understand how they work.

I
    No I just remember Andy Bromley saying something about the Powermaster not giving details of zones over voice dialler but not sure on it as I haven't used Powermaster.

'll have to check that with Andy. The current Powermax is an automated voice. Recording your own message is a bit of a step backwards if true.
    There will be no option to add a hardwired on the Powermaster 10.

in respect of the powermaster range 10 and 30, can the gsm module text the homeowner the zone that is in alarm or is it just a general common alarm text on these new model panels?

AFAIK It will text the zone information.

So you just hear your own voice then giving a basic message? It doesn't go on to detail the zones which caused the activation?

That is correct John, you record the message: Alarm activation at address..
    If you add the GSM you can do voice and get the same message or set up the text which will give zone number and the description you have it programmed for.

in respect of the powermaster range 10 and 30, can the gsm module text the homeowner the zone that is in alarm or is it just a general common alarm text on these new model panels?

The GSM will send the text with the zone name and number.

That is correct John, you record the message: Alarm activation at address..
    If you add the GSM you can do voice and get the same message or set up the text which will give zone number and the description you have it programmed for.

Are you sure?
    Is it not the same as the Powermaster with the generated message with audio zone descriptions as programmed into the panel?

Are you sure?
    Is it not the same as the Powermaster with the generated message with audio zone descriptions as programmed into the panel?

Just the voice message or zone name and number with the GSM.

Just the voice message or zone name and number with the GSM.

I can't remember it coming up in the training or the testing (Perhaps another lesson is required:o)
    I though the voice dialler worked the same as the Powermax.:confused:

• Advertisement

I can't remember it coming up in the training or the testing (Perhaps another lesson is required:o)
    I though the voice dialler worked the same as the Powermax.:confused:

Better off waiting the the Inertia/contacts are released, will need a refresher myself too :)

Better off waiting the the Inertia/contacts are released, will need a refresher myself too :)

I wouldn't be installing them without shocks...
    Nearly there now I hope.

I wouldn't be installing them without shocks...
    Nearly there now I hope.

As with everything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

You wouldn't recommend Visonic shock sensors unless your only using contacts???:eek::confused:
    Contacts & PiRs would be a worse combination also. The contact would not activate unless the window contact was opened and a PiR won't activate until someone is in the house. How is this better than a shock and contact? :confused:
    And these recommendations are based on you installing how many systems?

Here is the manual for these sensors if anyone wants to understand how they work.

No pulse so there useless really .. Acoustic glass breaks would work just as well ...
    Wouldn't touch visonics one way gear either way ..... not after recent " discoveries" . Just because its up to standards doesn't mean it's good ...
    Il gladly pm you info if you'd like ...

The lack of pulse and the poor level of programming and overall control over the shock sensors was the reason I quit them as well. I wouldn't say they are useless, I mean they do work to an extent - just not as good as quantum. The lack of a voice library is a backward step as well.
    If only quantum had a wireless external siren that would last 8 years that would be the complete package.

Have you seen and used the Powermax sensors. There is much more control. They are also programmable at the unit itself. I wouldn't pay any attention to someone saying they are useless. Especially when they are not an installer and have probably never used them.

Yes I have used them and I thought the whole calibrating process was primitive in this day and age.

I liked the idea of the display on board. Found them straightforward enough.
    The panel not being too easy and the electricians favourite can be a good thing.

just been on visonic.com website and the shocks for powerg models are available on the site anyway http://www.visonic.com/Data/Uploads/SD_304_PG2_Data_Sheet_English.pdf

• Advertisement

And they are cheaper which helps. Shocks aren't really Visonic's priority though, as Ireland is the only place where they are widely used and Ireland is only a drop in the ocean to them. That's the reason there are still no shocks yet for the powermaster I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement