Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to reroof a house?

Options
  • 13-03-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

The slates are too heavy for the pitch of the roof and there are leaks where the rain goes in under the slates as wel as some tearing in the bitchumen felt.
    Any idea how much it would cost to fully reroof the house, footprint of 1500 sq foot approx/

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

The slates are too heavy for the pitch of the roof and there are leaks where the rain goes in under the slates as wel as some tearing in the bitchumen felt.
    Any idea how much it would cost to fully reroof the house, footprint of 1500 sq foot approx/

Thanks
    Hi Tea and coffee
    You would be looking in the region of 12,000 inc vat
    This should include all material and labour
    Where are you located as this could also make a difference in material prices?
    Cc

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭smellyfinger

Sometimes grants are available depending on your age/health income etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Given that its priced in ££££ Id say applicability is low!! :D

That said I am always amazed at how cheap stuff "seems" to be in the UK. If you ever what that "house hunters" or what ever where people buy houses at aution and do them up and sell is they are always asjed what they plan on doing to it. They usually say "we plan on putting in a new kitchen, new flooring, full rewire, add a couple of rads and paint the whole house and gut one of the toilets". They thay are asked what their budget is and its always something like 9000 quid.

9000???? what!!!

Thats my usual reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Handymen and Cash payments I guess.

Materials bought on the UK equivalent of Done Deal!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Territo

Hi.
    price will vary wether its tiles or slates.
    Natural slates or fibre cement slates/10yr berona or 25 year trutone the list goes on.
    Ive never heard of slates too heavy for a roof unless your timber work is not up to spec or do you mean the pitch is too low and roof is sagging

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

john_cappa wrote: »
    Given that its priced in ££££ Id say applicability is low!! :D

That said I am always amazed at how cheap stuff "seems" to be in the UK. If you ever what that "house hunters" or what ever where people buy houses at aution and do them up and sell is they are always asjed what they plan on doing to it. They usually say "we plan on putting in a new kitchen, new flooring, full rewire, add a couple of rads and paint the whole house and gut one of the toilets". They thay are asked what their budget is and its always something like 9000 quid.

9000???? what!!!

Thats my usual reaction.

MY usual reaction to a quote is "yeah? do you think it's still 2003? I'll ask around and get back to you".

One fool i contacted wanted 600 euro to lay insulation in the attic,he didnt have a measuring tape or a ladder to check teh job.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

chopper6 wrote: »
    MY usual reaction to a quote is "yeah? do you think it's still 2003? I'll ask around and get back to you".

One fool i contacted wanted 600 euro to lay insulation in the attic,he didnt have a measuring tape or a ladder to check teh job.

Are you a tradesman yourself? If you weren't happy with a quote i gave ya and passed that pompous remark to me i wouldnt be long telling ya to f**k off and best of luck asking around.

Fellas like yourself expecting competent tradesmen to work for peanuts boils my blood.

Common sense rules of etiquette and good manners are to be respected at all times. You are expected refrain from posting personal abuse, bad language, advertising, spam and failure to observe this may warrant a ban.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ballpark figure at the lower end of €80-€100 per sq. foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Work out your total roof area along the slopes.

Fibre cement slates approx €1.25 per slate (13.4 slates per m2)
    €10.50 per ridge tile (500mm long)
    allow approx € 15 per m2 for laying of slates
    allow approx € 1,000 for stripping the existing roof
    approx €40 per m for lead valleys
    allow for scaffolding the project (dependent on footprint of building)

Plus builders Profit & Overheads

+ vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭scwazrh

kceire wrote: »

Are you saying to re- roof a house is €80- €100 per sqft?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Similar question here looking for some advice. Moved into a ~30 year old house last year. Approx 1,500 sqft (total, not ground area) 2-storey with slate tile roof. Did (well, a builder did!) loads of work on the house except for roof which we were told should be grand.

As it stands there are lots of holes in the felt around the place but hadn't been any leaks. But all along the tip of the roof there were saggings in the felt where I assume mortar has fallen down from joining the ridge tiles or something? Today I went up and can see out to the sky through a small gap where there's a gap in the felt and between ridge tiles.

Anyways I'm wondering if in cases like that you generally need to re-do a whole roof or can you just re-do a few layers from the top of the roof?

If a full roof has to be re-done and you already have your slates are you still looking at >€ 5K? Will people do roof work at this time of the year or do they wait for Spring/Summer? How long a job are you looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Depending how bad it is you don't have to do the whole roof, but if you were stripping most of it why not.
    And as for our spring/summer we work all year remember this is the best summer we have had in a long time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

scwazrh wrote: »
    Are you saying to re- roof a house is €80- €100 per sqft?

I've seen broken down prices to provide a new roof at that price. That would be an inclusive price though, with some costs associated with timer etc

It's a ball park, beer mat calculation for information purposes for the OP. I wouldn't recommend going and basing a build on it obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Do u mean per sq metre?

I've seen broken down prices to provide a new roof at that price. That would be an inclusive price though, with some costs associated with timer etc

It's a ball park, beer mat calculation for information purposes for the OP. I wouldn't recommend going and basing a build on it obviously.

you'd build a straight forward house for that kind of money.

you'd build a straight forward house for that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I would not trust that site for a fact the images are of Felt Shingle's

If it is just at the ridge where the felt is sagging then you could just take 4 or 5 courses of tile re-do the top course of felt,replay same tiles and repoint the ridge.This is providing its just the broken down pointing on the ridge that is causing the leak and sagging felt.
    Any good roofer should have this completed in a day 2 at the most.

Thats for g0g!!

• Advertisement

Territo wrote: »
    If it is just at the ridge where the felt is sagging then you could just take 4 or 5 courses of tile re-do the top course of felt,replay same tiles and repoint the ridge.This is providing its just the broken down pointing on the ridge that is causing the leak and sagging felt.
    Any good roofer should have this completed in a day 2 at the most.
    Nice one, thanks for the reply. Good to know it doesn't mean completely re-doing the whole thing! The builder went up and filled the gaps between the ridge tiles (said they were put there a little too close together or something?) which should do a few years hopefully!

itll do for a while as felt is really only a secondary measure in case you have a leak to throw the water to the gutter if youve no leak its no prob.

itll do for a while as felt is really only a secondary measure in case you have a leak to throw the water to the gutter if youve no leak its no prob.

Unfortunately this evening's weather is highlighting that all of the roof is not in fact in good shape as a couple of felt holes have drops coming through :(

whereabouts,middle top,bottom around chimney?

whereabouts,middle top,bottom around chimney?

upper half, higher than chimney and not in that area. Builder has "re-pointed" the ridge tiles. Suggestion is maybe patch the felt or put a membrane of some sort over it, but if it's more than a few areas we may as well re-do the whole thing?

Cut the felt internally in a v shape where its leaking and slide a square piece of felt or dpc stuck with silicone under the flap that you cut but over the existing felt so rain can run down and off.Before I get knocked this is a temporary measure to stop rain getting in internally and creating more damage.
    Im wondering was it the ridge or do you have broken tile/tiles.

Cut the felt internally in a v shape where its leaking and slide a square piece of felt or dpc stuck with silicone under the flap that you cut but over the existing felt so rain can run down and off.Before I get knocked this is a temporary measure to stop rain getting in internally and creating more damage.
    Im wondering was it the ridge or do you have broken tile/tiles.
    The problem is that the entire felt is just so brittle that if you almost touch it it snaps or falls apart! If I try cutting any of it I'd say chunks would start falling off! Apparently there were a few tiles up there with problems too. I'm wondering if I'm just really putting off the inevitable!:(

Yea maybe its obviously the old felt thats past its sell by but on that note you shouldnt have water coming in unless there is an initial problem ie tiles or ridges.

Advertisement