Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2 Week 12 Results

Options
  • 13-03-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Saints 14-28 Jaguars

Really good game between me and Eamonn, not a lot in it at all.

Saints receive and initially make good progress until a pick over the middle by LB Russell Allen. A 26 yard run by MJD on the Jags first play sets them up for a passing TD to rookie TE Josh Kolhausen, the much sought after TE from this years draft has been excellent in the injury absence of Todd Heap. After forcing a punt on the Saints next possession, the Jags moved down the field before MJD ran over for a TD at the start of the 2nd quarter.

14-0 Jags and we both knew the next score was crucial. The Jags D stepped up big again, forcing another punt. Tebow was making good progress downfield, but then a poor decision by me resulted in a pick for the Saints, they were able to convert territory into points and came away with the score 14-7 at half time, game on!

The Saints D was getting tougher, and the Jags were fortunate enough to convert on a number of crucial 3rd downs, I believe punts were exchanged before Tebow hit TE Marcedes Lewis in the endzone from 10 yards out, after more good MJD running and a great play by WR Laurent Robinson, gaining 50 yards on a play action. But the Saints were not discouraged, and on the next drive the answered back with a vital TE pass to Jimmy Graham.

The 4th quarter began with Jacksonville deep in their own territory. Hard yards for MJD and some fortunate 3rd down plays meant the drive was eating clock and gaining yards. Great play by WR Justin Blackmon holding on to a ball after a huge hit saw the Jags at the 2 yard line with 3 mins left. MJD applied the finishing touch and it was 21-14.

Here come the Saints. A very well executed late drive saw them down to the 4 yard line:
    1st down - Run stuffed for no gain.
    2nd down - Incomplete.
    3rd down - Huge tackle by Paul Posluszny on a draw, 2 yards out.
    4th down - Saints hit Graham quick! But he can't hold on! Turnover on downs.

Saints have no Timeouts left and Jags run out the clock.

Stats:

Tim Tebow - 14/20 for 234 yards, 2 TD's 1 INT
    Drew Brees - 15/22 for 194 yards, 2 TD's 1 INT

Maurice Jones-Drew - 24 att for 110 yards 2 TD's, 5 rec for 58 yards.
    Darren Sproles - 9 att for 71 yards

Laurent Robinson - 3 rec for 86 yards
    Jimmy Graham - 7 rec for 79 yards 2 TD's.

Super game Eamonn, one of the best contests this season for me. Good luck with the season, no doubt you will make the playoffs. We were saying at the end there that we were not sure what the turning point was, having looked at the stats, you were 1/6 on 3rd down conversions, I was 6/8, I reckon that is what swung the game in my favour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭giffney1991

Raiders win against broncos in the very definition of a tight game! Raiders defense only stepped up in the red zone when they
    Stopped 3 trips by Perrin to go 9-0 down at the half !

McFadden run brought raiders in field goal range! Kicked it from 40yards with 12mph wind against...Perrin "that's huge"

And so it was, quick 3 and out and raiders had ball in good field position! Hester catches ridiculous ball and gives mcfadden the position to run it in! Point after

10-9

Broncos drive hard up field! Defense steps up and get the pick six!

17-9

Broncos have 1:40 left, huge drive! Last man tackles here! Unlucky with 50 seconds left, another pick with zone defense and raiders kneel it out

Perrin deserved this with 1st half performance. Draw plays mixed in with sweet passes....I was reeling but we settled down and got the basic right. Seriously unlucky for Perrin

Raiders move 8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

9-0 at halftime, sounds more like an AFC North kinda game

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Ours wont be like that Pudsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭giffney1991

Ahehmmm....you wanna go??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

GG Giffney.
    From my point of view the game was decided in the 1st half.
    Offensively same ol story,3 trips to the red zone,can only come away with field goals.
    Defensively I don't think I could have done any better,decided I wasn't going to blitz too much as Raiders backup QB was playing so was going to see if he could beat me with the pass.
    At least 4/5 times in the half where I was usering a player pre snap I guessed right where the pass was going,postioned him for the intercept and I/he dropped it everytime even one where he dropped it into the hands of my saftey who proceded to juggle it and then drop it,even when I let the CPU try to intercept they dropped it.
    I think at some point in the third quarter,possibly on the Raiders drive for their touchdown,Raiders QB threw a curl pass,my safefy,cb and LB are all around the ball,none intercept..........and mentally I crack.
    Raiders finish me off after that.
    Best of luck in the playoffs Giffney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Sounds like a classic Raider game. I approve.

In other news, Panthers 9-2 after winning 28-21 against the Falcons to come into a tie with the Saints for the division, with conference and division records both equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Good write up Mikey, yeah the there were a couple of drops on 3rd down for me that really disappointed me. Actually they were from my other TE Davis twice (not Jimmy Graham, never saw anything bad about him ha). I was really annoyed with your pick on my play because to me your LB had no right to get the ball. Madden needs to look into user controlled defenders. Just because they are being controlled by the user they shouldn't all of a sudden be able to pick out a rocket pass when they are running away from the QB, having to jump and to catch it. Just doesn't make sense.

That is more me grieving about Madden than you. You played a great game and I think your offensive line is your main asset, you could have the worst QB in the league and still do really well due to the amount of time you have in the pocket. It reminds me of the glitch where people drop back an extra ten yards and the WRs get separation. They just had so much time to get away from my CBs.

Great play, and I would relish the opportunity to get payback.

Oh and it had to be the shortest game of Madden I have played in a long time, about 30 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Raoul wrote: »
    Good write up Mikey, yeah the there were a couple of drops on 3rd down for me that really disappointed me. Actually they were from my other TE Davis twice (not Jimmy Graham, never saw anything bad about him ha). I was really annoyed with your pick on my play because to me your LB had no right to get the ball. Madden needs to look into user controlled defenders. Just because they are being controlled by the user they shouldn't all of a sudden be able to pick out a rocket pass when they are running away from the QB, having to jump and to catch it. Just doesn't make sense.

That is more me grieving about Madden than you. You played a great game and I think your offensive line is your main asset, you could have the worst QB in the league and still do really well due to the amount of time you have in the pocket. It reminds me of the glitch where people drop back an extra ten yards and the WRs get separation. They just had so much time to get away from my CBs.

Great play, and I would relish the opportunity to get payback.

Oh and it had to be the shortest game of Madden I have played in a long time, about 30 minutes long.

Nah I said at the time I agree with you. When you are ball hawking you can make some stupid plays, will most likely be amended for next year. And I think you are right about my O-Line, a few guys in there like Paul McQuistan who don't have the greatest OVR's, but are tough to move. I'm delighted with it, considering I lost Eben Britton and my C last year, it's been far better, which has allowed me to use Tebow MUCH more effectively. He now has about 110 passer rating, and has 27 TD's compared to only 13 INT's. And it was only after we left the game I looked at my watch, 38mins I think it took! Mental.

Raiders having an excellent season, Panthers too, seem to be winning every week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ravens @ Titans Ravens receive first.

Ravens punt.. Titans throw an int! Two men open... Titans throw it to the wrong one and Pudsy picks it off.

Griffin picks off a pass in the end zone

Marc Mariani, makes a clutch catch! Booth review! Titans TD

Nice TD pass to tie the game
    Titans throw an int on their first play, Kap rushes for 30 yards for a TD :eek:
    Johnson pounds it up the field and then into the endzone

14-14 at the 2 min warning

Titans KO.. returned for a TD Titans cant do anything and punt with a minute left.. Ravens punt but Titans run out of time

HT and its 21-14 Ravens, Titans to receive, C2J fumbles.. but Recovers! Titans punt

Ravens are on the 1 yard line after a good drive, TD Ravens and its a 2 score game.

TD C2J, he catches and weaves 60 yards into the endzone.
    One score game

Start of the 4th, Ravens on 3rd and 2 and up by a score. QB Scramble but its 4th and 1. Titans go on a drive but its stalled with a sack.. 4th and 12... Titans go for it.. Cook gets stopped one yard short!
    But a great pass.. TD Ravens. Titans throw a pick then and thats pretty much game with a 3 score making FG making sure of things

Williams catches... hes hit and fumbles... and that most certainly is game

Steelers will not be happy!

Some Stats:

Titans with 358 yards of offense, 136 rushing
    Ravens with 311 yards of offense, 80 rushing

Locker with a rating of 82, 16 from 25, 240 yards, 2 TDs and 3 Ints
    Kap with a rating of 119, 12 from 20, 231 yards , 4 TDs (+1 rushing) and 1 int

C2J gets 124 yards on the ground with a TD. je also gets 142 yards in the air with a TD

Former Titan Nate Washinton shows the Titans GM what a mistake he made with a TD and 123 yards

Good game Pudsy, on the few occasions i had you on 3rd down you made the big plays and a couple of those were TDs

Probably the key moment was with about 5 mins left, Cook catches but is tackled short of the end zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

Dolphins now odds on for the Super Bowl after moving to 2-9 following their 13-10 OT win against the titans :p

• Advertisement

Carroller wrote: »
    Dolphins now odds on for the Super Bowl after moving to 2-9 following their 13-10 OT win against the titans :p

Think you mean Texans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

Oooops :o

Or it could be a bold prediction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭notyalc666

Eagles beat the Cowboys 49 - 24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

The packers rally in the 4th quarter to come back from ten points behind and win by 2 thanks to a TD from a panicked hurry up drive by the Packers, followed by what turned out to be a crucial holding penalty from the kickoff to back the Lions up to their own two. Crawford broke lose and sacked Romo who fumbled in the end zone and the lions got away with a safety. From there the packers eat time and yardage to kick a field goal for a 2 point lead with around a minute left.
    Lions get picked off trying to get into field goal range which seals the win for the Packers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done on the win. I thought you could have run more time down and kicked the fg as time expired instead of giving me a chance to come back. In the end I couldn't anyway.

One thing and I don't mean to sound like a sore loser but I think the use of the no huddle offense with 6 mins to go is unfair. I didn't know you were going no huddle and my defenders were still offside when you were snapping the ball. I was also in a poor defense to defend your plays and you moved down the field and scored pretty easily which was crucial in the context of the game. .

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well done on the win. I thought you could have run more time down and kicked the fg as time expired instead of giving me a chance to come back. In the end I couldn't anyway.

One thing and I don't mean to sound like a sore loser but I think the use of the no huddle offense with 6 mins to go is unfair. I didn't know you were going no huddle and my defenders were still offside when you were snapping the ball. I was also in a poor defense to defend your plays and you moved down the field and scored pretty easily which was crucial in the context of the game. .

No confidence in stopping your offence quickly enough to have a chance was the reason. I'd have to check but I thought there was less time than that left. Behind by two scores with around 5 minutes left and losing over 20 seconds with clock run off alone wasn't an option with how well you were ripping me apart with Pettigrew. Given you were winning by 10 at the time why didn't you call a timeout? I assumed you were happy with you personnel when you didn't! Didn't intentionally catch that guy offside either and declined the penalty (that was the same play were I was blessed with the fumble that went out of bounds).
    Had people go no huddle on me earlier than that and had no complaints. It's a gamble when you O-Line is having a bad day too!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Steelers will not be happy!

Remember that shady meet up in an unnamed car park that was planned for the pay off? If I was you I wouldn't show up, unless you like being stuffed into car boots and then......I've said too much.

It also means I have an excuse not to go easy on you in week 16.:P

Ah week 16, where the only play off ill be doing will sadly just involve myself! However I may be able to impact the AFC North...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nelbert wrote: »

No confidence in stopping your offence quickly enough to have a chance was the reason. I'd have to check but thought there was less time than that left. Behind by two scores with around 5 minutes left and losing over 20 seconds with clock run off alone wasn't an option with how well you were ripping me apart with Pettigrew. Given you were winning by 10 at the time why didn't you call a timeout? I assumed you were happy with you personnel when you didn't! Didn't intentionally catch that guy offside either and declined the penalty (that was the same play were I was blessed with the fumble that went out of bounds).
    Had people go no huddle on me earlier than that and had no complaints. It's a gamble when you O-Line is having a bad day too!

To be honest there should be no reason to go no huddle before the 2 minute warning and never without informing your opponent. Also of course you declined the penalty you made about 30 yards on the play. You wouldn't have declined if if I had recovered that fumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ah week 16, where the only play off ill be doing will sadly just involve myself! However I may be able to impact the AFC North...

clint_ew.gif

• Advertisement

I would agree with Adrian, 6 mins left is not late in the game
    No huddle offence:
    The same should be said about the hurry up offense. This should be reserved for late in the game when you're down OR at the end of the half. (Reason for this is that Madden doesn’t allow the defence to change their formation suitably during the hurry up offense).

I don't mean to have a go at you personally as I know a lot of people do it but I think it's something we should try and avoid until it is genuinely late in the game and you have informed your opponent.

Anyway well done on the win, you played very well and probably have the division sown up now.

I don't mean to have a go at you personally as I know a lot of people do it but I think it's something we should try and avoid until it is genuinely late in the game and you have informed your opponent.

Anyway well done on the win, you played very well and probably have the division sown up now.

No problem I'm not offended, it's good example of a difference of opinion on the same rule. For me the way the game had gone to that point I felt that I needed to go hurry up and score quickly and HOPE to stop you at some point in what I anticipated to be a long time consuming drive by you (naturally thing for you would have been to eat clock). Your RBs were doing well and Pettigrew had a monster game. That combined would have destroyed the clock on me.
    It all depends on what side your on and how you feel the game has gone to that point for the perception of what is "late" in the game.
    Open discussion will benefit all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

In my opinion, in that situation i think its fair to go no huddle. It was the only chance he had of scoring quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Colts robbed lose to the Bucc's by 3 points after 3 titanic battles, i'm to fatigued to write a report except to say Luck Threw another Interception that about 150 plays later ended up a Buccs TD.

Titans next and then the Jags in the AFC south cauldron, i'm not sure how we can pick ourselves up physically or mentally after that for next week but we will.........I hope

Nelbert wrote: »
    No problem I'm not offended, it's good example of a difference of opinion on the same rule. For me the way the game had gone to that point I felt that I needed to go hurry up and score quickly and HOPE to stop you at some point in what I anticipated to be a long time consuming drive by you (naturally thing for you would have been to eat clock). Your RBs were doing well and Pettigrew had a monster game. That combined would have destroyed the clock on me.
    It all depends on what side your on and how you feel the game has gone to that point for the perception of what is "late" in the game.
    Open discussion will benefit all!

Well I think inside of 2 mins is fair as long as you let your opponent know. The problem I have is that you don't have a chance to call your defensive plays and if you get caught in a bad defense you are kind of screwed.
    In my opinion, in that situation i think its fair to go no huddle. It was the only chance he had of scoring quickly.

I disagree, with over 5 mins to play that is most of the 4th quarter and he was only down by 2 scores. All he needs is a FG on that drive to make it a 1 score game.

With 5 mins there is enough time for 2 possessions each. I'd understand if you were down by 21 points but points is nothing in Madden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Well I think inside of 2 mins is fair as long as you let your opponent know. The problem I have is that you don't have a chance to call your defensive plays and if you get caught in a bad defense you are kind of screwed.

I disagree, with over 5 mins to play that is most of the 4th quarter and he was only down by 2 scores. All he needs is a FG on that drive to make it a 1 score game.

With 5 mins there is enough time for 2 possessions each. I'd understand if you were down by 21 points but points is nothing in Madden.

Imo hurry up is fair game for the 4th quarter if your down by two scores. And 4-5 min if your down by 1. The accelerated clock is a killer in the last when your down by a couple.

Well I think it's nonsense going hurry up without telling your opponent. 5 mins is loads of time, down by 1 going hurry up is just trying to exploit a limitation in the game as you are not doing it to save time to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Well I think it's nonsense going hurry up without telling your opponent. 5 mins is loads of time, down by 1 going hurry up is just trying to exploit a limitation in the game as you are not doing it to save time to be honest.

Of course telling the opponent is a must but of course you're trying to save time. The twenty second run off eats up a lot of clock. Were ye on Mic or in chat room?

• Advertisement

I was on mic I don't think Nelbert was I certainly didn't hear anything.

You are not doing it to save clock with 5 mins to go and down by 1 score(in your example above).

To be honest in that situation I would be trying to use up time rather than score quickly so that the opposition doesn't have a chance to come back down the other end and score.

No problem with it really if I know it's coming so that I can call a defense I'm happy with against a load of different plays, but if on 1st and 10 I think it's a run and I call a run blitz or whatever and you go hurry up and you start throwing deep passes and calling the next play before my guys are even back on their side that is exploiting a glitch which means that I can't get any sort of defense set whatsoever. The clock is pretty irrelevant that early in a 1 score game.

Advertisement