Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE weather forecast Summer 1996

Options
  • 13-03-2013 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

A piece of Nostalgia which may of be interest to some. So it looks like summer of 1996 was a warm,humid thundery one??? I'm too young to remember. The graphics and presentation style look very dated now but the way in which the forecaster presented the information seems very coherent and pleasant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I prefer those graphics to the crappy ones we have now!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

RTE graphics got an upgrade tonight by coincidence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Proper weather forecasting back then, a Dr and everything!

The OP may not recall when RTE decided they were going to get "hotties" to present the weather rather than Met Error people, the Liveline switchboard nearly melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Good find. I must admit, I'm the person who put that up on youtube. Found it on old VHS tape and though youtube was the place to out it!!

Larbre34 wrote: »

:eek: - must see, must see!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Should be back to Meteorologists, someone who knows what they are talking about. Instead of someone just mindlessly parroting back the forecast.
    Like me giving a fucking quantum mechanics lecture from powerpoint and just reading. Ludicrous.

mike65 wrote: »
    Proper weather forecasting back then, a Dr and everything!

The OP may not recall when RTE decided they were going to get "hotties" to present the weather rather than Met Error people, the Liveline switchboard nearly melted.

If I remember rightly, it was more to do with their strangulated pronunciations than their appearance. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

:eek: - must see, must see!!!!

It's not a huge change. A few of the icons and the text have changed but that's about it. It certainly hasn't become 3D like BBC Weather, not yet anyway! :)

It's not a huge change. A few of the icons and the text have changed but that's about it. It certainly hasn't become 3D like BBC Weather, not yet anyway! :)

I still prefer the BBC's old weather symbols, they are absolute classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sensual Cucumber

Larbre34 wrote: »

Saw that it wasnt much of an upgrade really, made the temperature symbols a bit bigger a couple of other small changes. Considering how much computers have come on since 96, met eireanns animations havent really come on that much at all!

And I do like the rain animation back in 96;)

• Advertisement

And I do like the rain animation back in 96;)

The snow one was even better! :)

The snow one was even better! :)

Haha i searched and find it!

Haha i searched and find it!

What did you put into the search?

What did you put into the search?

ooops i meant couldnt find it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would like to see one the forecasts from the long hot summer of 95

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Its not the forecast but you can read the monthly report for july 1995 here-

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1995-Jul.pdf

Sea Temps close to 17 degrees off the south coast, nice :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefsCwQ_gTI

dm09 wrote: »

We sooo deserve one of those summers after the rubbish of the last 10 years:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I prefer those graphics to the crappy ones we have now!

Yeah i was particularly impressed with the air flow going anti clockwise around the Scandi high at about 2 minutes 6 seconds :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Should be back to Meteorologists, someone who knows what they are talking about. Instead of someone just mindlessly parroting back the forecast.
    Like me giving a fucking quantum mechanics lecture from powerpoint and just reading. Ludicrous.

The forecasts on the 6 and 9 o'clock news are Meteorologists, only ones worth watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Yeah i was particularly impressed with the air flow going anti clockwise around the Scandi high at about 2 minutes 6 seconds :rolleyes:
    Well spotted. Looks like Dr Aidan made an error. Also looks like a clockwise spin around the 'L'.

Ooh, burn!

I meant I prefer them aesthetically so put your rolleyes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The forecasts on the 6 and 9 o'clock news are Meteorologists, only ones worth watching.
    I think it's only those European/ International Forecasts that are non meteorologists at this stage iirc. The ones after all the main news shows at lunch and mid afternoon are generally the same person who's doing 6.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Its not the forecast but you can read the monthly report for july 1995 here-

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1995-Jul.pdf

Sea Temps close to 17 degrees off the south coast, nice :cool:

June was hotter: http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1995-Jun.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Aah, '95. I recall the ice cream machine kept breaking down and an irate customer, who having queued for 10 mins threw her cone on the ground claiming it was "too big". Normally customers would complain it was "too small" :rolleyes:

The other memory from that Summer was an article in one of the papers on how we would be switching to citrus cultivation, if the weather remained as good. Wishful thinking!

Interestingly, this clip shows that we did have a few dud days that summer. Very few, mind, and if I recall they coincided with thundery conditions but many people seem to forget about them!

Wasn't 95 the really good one?

That forecast looks perfect, somehow we managed a grey, mild, drizzly, ****ty summer last year and how next to no exciting storms. 5 days of heat and 2 days of heat and thunderstorms all summer will do.

Interestingly, this clip shows that we did have a few dud days that summer. Very few, mind, and if I recall they coincided with thundery conditions but many people seem to forget about them!

They were a welcome relief:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Thanks for that, I was trying to recall whether it was '95 or '96 - it was a long, hot summer, I remember all the forest fires in the Wicklow hills - those sort of summers are few and far between - I remember one in the '70's too and I think 1984 started off pretty warm. Can't really remember a good warm summer since 1995 though, aren't we due one?

Advertisement