Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner - help!

Options
  • 13-03-2013 7:30pm

Hi everyone,

I've only been to a few yoga classes in my life. I really enjoyed them, but classes aren't an option for me at the moment because I don't have the money. I've used a few Youtube videos and generally feel pretty good afterwards - not sure exactly how much good they're doing or if I'm doing everything correctly. What do other people do at home? Use videos, or just do different poses? Would anyone be able to recommend a series of Youtube videos suitable for a beginner? I work from home so I'm able to do yoga 3-4 times a day.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Hi Izzy,
    You did not say what type of yoga you practice already, or what type you prefer?

There are many different types of yoga, and depending on who the person is, and where they are in their life, one particular form of yoga may suit much better than another.

If you would like any advice on what type you could consider 'trying out', then the factors below would have a big bearing on this.

What age are you? Do you have any neck or back or knee injuries or any other medical condition which may affect your practice?

How fit are you? What forms or sport or exercise do you do? How often and how long?

Have you practiced yoga before? What type and for how long have you practiced?

Are you interested in yoga as a form of fitness, or to manage stress, or relaxation, or learning how to let go of thoughts, or to improve breathing, or meditation, or spiritual…. Or a few of the above? The more information you give, the better fit I would be able to recommend for you.

I would also suggest that you read the information at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/retreats-classes/what-type-of-yoga-is-best-for-me.html

I know from experience that practicing yoga from a CD is much more of a genuine 'yoga experience' where one is able to go more deeply inwards while following the clear guidance of a teachers voice.

If one uses a DVD, then one is caught up on the 'external world'…. looking outwards….. and then trying to step back inside to bring the 'feeling' back to one of an inward practice. Ultimately often what happens if that the person trying to follow the DVD ends up doing a fitness routine… copying the postures as best they can while not knowing whether their alignment or breathing or focus is correct…. and usually drops the inner awareness and instead focused on only doing the physical postures.

And if a fitness routing is all that you are looking for, then fair enough. You will get this from following a DVD or Youtube.

But if you are looking to practice a genuine yoga practice, with a large emphasis on the inner awareness including breath work, feeling present, feeling centered within, and getting in touch with more subtle areas of your being, then I believe that a DVD is not the way to go.

I think you would be much better off selecting a couple of very clear CD's and follw these practices diligently each day, so that after a few weeks you will be able to switch off the CD at times and continue the practices yourself having even more connection with your inner awareness.

I wish you well with your practice.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• burrenyoga wrote: »
    Hi Izzy,
    You did not say what type of yoga you practice already, or what type you prefer?

There are many different types of yoga, and depending on who the person is, and where they are in their life, one particular form of yoga may suit much better than another.

I really don't know much about the different types of yoga. I've been doing some of the Tara Stiles videos - I understand she does a mixture of different types.
    If you would like any advice on what type you could consider 'trying out', then the factors below would have a big bearing on this.

What age are you? Do you have any neck or back or knee injuries or any other medical condition which may affect your practice?

I'm 27. I have a bit of a bad back (lower back pain) and often get pain in my hips - still don't know the cause of that. Both get much better when I do yoga videos.
    How fit are you? What forms or sport or exercise do you do? How often and how long?

I wouldn't say I am that fit, but I am in good shape, if that makes sense. I'm thin and reasonably flexible. I don't do much exercise at all at the minute. I try to go running for half an hour twice a week but I don't often manage it. I do walk a lot, just walking around the city.
    Have you practiced yoga before? What type and for how long have you practiced?

I did a class at my old gym but have no idea what type of yoga it was. Just a few sessions and that was over a year ago now. At the moment I'm doing Tara Stiles videos on Youtube. I usually do one in the morning and one at night, so about 20 minutes a day.
    Are you interested in yoga as a form of fitness, or to manage stress, or relaxation, or learning how to let go of thoughts, or to improve breathing, or meditation, or spiritual…. Or a few of the above? The more information you give, the better fit I would be able to recommend for you.

All of the above, really. Mostly to improve my back and hip pain and reduce stress.
    I would also suggest that you read the information at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/retreats-classes/what-type-of-yoga-is-best-for-me.html

I know from experience that practicing yoga from a CD is much more of a genuine 'yoga experience' where one is able to go more deeply inwards while following the clear guidance of a teachers voice.

If one uses a DVD, then one is caught up on the 'external world'…. looking outwards….. and then trying to step back inside to bring the 'feeling' back to one of an inward practice. Ultimately often what happens if that the person trying to follow the DVD ends up doing a fitness routine… copying the postures as best they can while not knowing whether their alignment or breathing or focus is correct…. and usually drops the inner awareness and instead focused on only doing the physical postures.

And if a fitness routing is all that you are looking for, then fair enough. You will get this from following a DVD or Youtube.

But if you are looking to practice a genuine yoga practice, with a large emphasis on the inner awareness including breath work, feeling present, feeling centered within, and getting in touch with more subtle areas of your being, then I believe that a DVD is not the way to go.

I think you would be much better off selecting a couple of very clear CD's and follw these practices diligently each day, so that after a few weeks you will be able to switch off the CD at times and continue the practices yourself having even more connection with your inner awareness.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

I know what you mean about the DVD. Problem is that I have no idea what I'm meant to be doing with my body, so the visual guide is helpful. I'd like to be able to just do my own thing to music eventually, but I think I need to get a good grounding first so I don't end up doing it wrong and doing myself damage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Hi Izzy,
    I would recommend a teacher who has a very good anatomical understanding. I would recommend trying to go to one of Lisa Petersen's yoga classes in Dublin, and then try to get 10 minutes one to one with her (after one of her classes) to get an insight into whether the lower back pain could be due to curvature of the spine or weak abdominal muscles.... or something else that Lisa may spot.

You can find Lisa's contact details at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/yoga-ireland/local-yoga-classes/dublin-yoga-classes/

It makes a huge difference when you go to a very experienced yoga teacher rather than one you may 'happen to come across' teaching a yoga class.

And longer term hopefully you will get 'turned on' to more genuine yoga and be interested in practising on your own while tuning inwards to your own breath and what is happening inside you at a deeper level rather than wanting to be 'distracted' by music.

I mean that with all respect.... and often it is only after we have been practising with a genuine yoga teacher, that we become enthused by this inward journey.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

Advertisement