Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Marathon 2013

Options
  • 13-03-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi all! Just wondering if anybody knows anything about the route for this years Viking Marathon in Waterford. Its not up on the website yet. Is it the same as last year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Hi all! Just wondering if anybody knows anything about the route for this years Viking Marathon in Waterford. Its not up on the website yet. Is it the same as last year?
    Very unlikely it will be. Tramore ain't playing ball as far as I hear. Will be a few weeks before its sorted. Thinking of doing it if it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Very unlikely it will be. Tramore ain't playing ball as far as I hear. Will be a few weeks before its sorted. Thinking of doing it if it suits.

No route still...crazy stuff, Im doing cork instead despite it being a home marathon..didnt think tramore wouldve been that put out tbh.cant see what route they can make without tramore in it..

No route still...crazy stuff, Im doing cork instead despite it being a home marathon..didnt think tramore wouldve been that put out tbh.cant see what route they can make without tramore in it..
    Seemingly along ring road. Not familiar with Bla land so can't comment . With 12 weeks to go it ain't good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Think Tramore is going to be part of the route but not as much as last year.

The route has been decided. Around the city, out to Tramore and back from what I've been told. It's supposed to be up on the website next Wednesday. At last it seems to be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Full and half marathon routes are now on the website

http://www.waterfordvikingmarathon.com/the-race/viking-marathon-routes.html

Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Link to map my run

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/190103986/

I think overall it looks ok. At first glance it looks like there a quite a few hills but in comparison with Dublin the elevation looks easier. I know most of the route and there seems to be a sharp hill in tramore after mile 14 and another one around mile 23 but I think I'll go for it.

Seems to be a problem bringing up that route on mapmyrun.

Seems to be a problem bringing up that route on mapmyrun.

I had a problem with it last night but it's working this morning - just had a good look at it there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

webpal wrote: »
    Link to map my run

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/190103986/

there seems to be a sharp hill in tramore after mile 14

Yep, the hill up Strand Street is a bit of a toughie, but it's not that long, and once you get over it, there's a nice gradual downhill section to recover on :)

All in all I think they've done a good job with the new routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Its much better than last years...no doubt about that.
    I will be one of the pacers for the 3:30 group, so in a few weeks i will be starting to do some of the route, ( as soon as i get over boston )...i will post up the garmin links and you can all have a look...sign up people, it will be a great day in the déise

Still can't get that link to come up! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Works ok for me, I found it by going into mapmyrun and search for waterford marathon

Got the link up and running last night. Seems very interesting with a few paces where runners will be meeting each other going the other way! I wonder what do people from that neck of the woods think of the route? Also how does the route get from the Kingfisher Club over onto Lacken Road? Is there a new track there because on Mapmyrun the red line goes straight through the Club itself and over onto the road! The reason I'm asking this is because myself and a few others are thinking of doing our first 20 miler on the route from the Kingfisher club to the RSC in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Also how does the route get from the Kingfisher Club over onto Lacken Road? Is there a new track there because on Mapmyrun the red line goes straight through the Club itself and over onto the road!.

not completely familiar with Waterford, but (from the 1/2 marathon last Dec) there is a new park attached to the Kingfisher Club with wide paths running through it. I presume one of these paths will link with Lacken Road.

eliwallach wrote: »
    not completely familiar with Waterford, but (from the 1/2 marathon last Dec) there is a new park attached to the Kingfisher Club with wide paths running through it. I presume one of these paths will link with Lacken Road.

You're correct there Eli. Route brings you into the nature park and then anticlockwise as far as I know (opposite direction of last Decembers half ) to the back right hand corner if the park where gates connecting to the adjoining recycling facility will be open on the day. You won't be able to run the last 20 of the route from kingfisher as these gates are normally closed. You'll have to go around to the lacken road and start from there.

Well people! Have many of you signed up for this event? It was very well run last year and they've incorporated a full "lap of honour" on the track in the RSC to finish this year!

Well people! Have many of you signed up for this event? It was very well run last year and they've incorporated a full "lap of honour" on the track in the RSC to finish this year!

Might run this if I don't run 26 Sunday. Would get me nicely back into it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Might run this if I don't run 26 Sunday. Would get me nicely back into it

Best of luck VR..ill have the feet up watching with a mug of scald.

Just finished a 17 mile LSR. Torture!!! The last 9 miles back into a gale! God I hate running in the wind. Running to stand still. At times I was thinking of jacking it in and forgetting about Waterford altogether! But that wouldn't be good now would it?

• Advertisement

Just finished a 17 mile LSR. Torture!!! The last 9 miles back into a gale! God I hate running in the wind. Running to stand still. At times I was thinking of jacking it in and forgetting about Waterford altogether! But that wouldn't be good now would it?

Ye Carlow lads normally throw in the towel

Ye Carlow lads normally throw in the towel

Jaysus you're a comedian Village Man! I'm cracking up here! Hope you're set for the big one tomorrow and you won't be throwing in the towel yourself;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Ok lads keep it nice. A Kilkenny man here just after the full in connamara looking forward to Waterford. Carlow, Waterford and Kilkenny let the battle begin !!!!

Ok lads keep it nice. A Kilkenny man here just after the full in connamara looking forward to Waterford. Carlow, Waterford and Kilkenny let the battle begin !!!!

Good man Baba! A Kilkenny man living hundred yards inside Carlow! The only battle will be with the clock! The Village Runner will be blitzing the streets of London tomorrow and will be in great fettle for a possible attempt on Waterford. Good luck with the hills tomorrow. Dunno how you can face them. Although I threw a few into the run today meself.

How did you get on in Connemara ?? Interested to see your first half and second half splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Splits were not good 1st half 1.36 2nd 2.02. There was an awful head wind for the last 13 miles. my pb is 3.19 but on the day in connamara id have been happy with 3.30. so all in all taking the conditions into account happy overall.

Signed up for waterford. With 9 weeks I will give it a lash. 10g to drop before it though

That's the stuff Village Runner!! You'll not be too far from the front that day I'd say!:D

That's the stuff Village Runner!! You'll not be too far from the front that day I'd say!:D

Around 3 miles

• Advertisement

Signed up for waterford. With 9 weeks I will give it a lash. 10g to drop before it though

You might need to drop more than 10g though;-)

Advertisement