Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Was thinking of entering this for my first marathon but talk of hills and back roads makes me worry a little.
    Will there be other first timers or is it an event for more elite runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

carsfan wrote: »
    Was thinking of entering this for my first marathon but talk of hills and back roads makes me worry a little.

Carsfan this race is for everyone or anyone! There a few ups and downs but nothing serious! The back roads are grand - I did it last year and was amazed at the organisation and crowds and I hope to to it again this year and would be gutted to miss it!

There will be plenty people in the same boat - The pacers are also a great help as are the numerous water stations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

MacSwifty wrote: »
    Carsfan this race is for everyone or anyone! There a few ups and downs but nothing serious! The back roads are grand - I did it last year and was amazed at the organisation and crowds and I hope to to it again this year and would be gutted to miss it!

There will be plenty people in the same boat - The pacers are also a great help as are the numerous water stations!

Well Carsfan! For a first marathon you could do a lot worse. I've run the last 19 miles having driven the first 7 of the route and as far as I can make out it is easier than last year. It was brilliantly organised last year. Very well marshalled and lots of water stops. There was great support too. I'd go for it and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Do it Carsfan. As McSwifty says the race is for runners of all abilities. There is very little, probably only a 1-1.5 mile section, which could be truly called back roads. Organisation last year was top class - plenty of water and gels. Must sign up myself when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mixer7

do it carsfan, will be trotting around myself and Im nowhere near elite !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Looking forward to running this as my second marathon!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Thanks for the info.
    Will put the entry in. Was getting cold feet even though I have been training for it and all is going well.
    Watched the video of last year on you tube and it looked good and participants looked normal enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭123agh

carsfan last year we catered foe everyone from the winner to the seven and a half hour man it is normal to question yourself about these things

Thanks for the info.
    Will put the entry in. Was getting cold feet even though I have been training for it and all is going well.
    Watched the video of last year on you tube and it looked good and participants looked normal enough.

If you can call anyone who trains for three or four months just to run for 26.2 miles "normal"!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fjw

123agh wrote: »
    Well lads measured course today a few repairs required but meeting with gardai and council on Monday to finalise it . The only hills in this one is tramore which is tough but very short the rest are gentle climbs and some beautiful scenery

Are ye forgetting the hill up the lacken road that we came down last year,we are going up it this year it's about 3/4 of a mile. Fairly tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Trevster

123agh wrote: »
    carsfan last year we catered foe everyone from the winner to the seven and a half hour man it is normal to question yourself about these things

Hi 123. By any chance is there a mapmyrun link for the Half Marathon? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Trevster wrote: »
    Hi 123. By any chance is there a mapmyrun link for the Half Marathon? Thanks

as far as i know, both routes are on the site

A bit quiet here lately! How're things looking for the 29th both from an organisational and participants angle. Training hard meself. Big mileage including a 22 mile LSR that nearly killed me last Saturday! Apart from a very dodgy left Achilles:( things are going well. It better hold up for another couple of weeks!!!

Bahanaman wrote: »
    A bit quiet here lately! How're things looking for the 29th both from an organisational and participants angle. Training hard meself. Big mileage including a 22 mile LSR that nearly killed me last Saturday! Apart from a very dodgy left Achilles:( things are going well. It better hold up for another couple of weeks!!!

Good man Bahanaman. Got myself a pair of saucony racers to build up my speed ,they have made some difference flying about now , it might be something to do with the colour of them though as they are iluminous yellow and id be mortified if someone recognised me out running in them! , who knows , but they are doing the trick anyway!
    Training going well , Gonna do a few 20 milers over the next couple of weekends and into the taper then .
    take it easy on the Achilles !

mixer7 wrote: »
    Good man Bahanaman. Got myself a pair of saucony racers to build up my speed ,they have made some difference flying about now , it might be something to do with the colour of them though as they are iluminous yellow and id be mortified if someone recognised me out running in them! , who knows , but they are doing the trick anyway!
    Training going well , Gonna do a few 20 milers over the next couple of weekends and into the taper then .
    take it easy on the Achilles !

Was thinking of getting a lighter pair of shoes for the little bit of speed myself mixer but with the Achilles the way it is I think I'll have to stick to the Brooks Adrenalines that I've been using for training. I've got a pair of Puma Faas 800s too that are really light, are well cushioned and have good support but if I go anywhere over 10 miles in them I get wicked hotspots on the balls of my feet. So it looks like the heavier Adrenalines for the race at this stage. No use in flying for the first fifteen or twenty and breaking down due to injury!! What saucony's did you get? Fastwitch?

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting a lighter pair of shoes for the little bit of speed myself mixer but with the Achilles the way it is I think I'll have to stick to the Brooks Adrenalines that I've been using for training. I've got a pair of Puma Faas 800s too that are really light, are well cushioned and have good support but if I go anywhere over 10 miles in them I get wicked hotspots on the balls of my feet. So it looks like the heavier Adrenalines for the race at this stage. No use in flying for the first fifteen or twenty and breaking down due to injury!! What saucony's did you get? Fastwitch?

Yeah I got the fastwitch ,won't be doing anything over 10k in them just yet.i use the saucony omni for the longer distance ,I'm a bit of an over pronator so they give me a good bit of support.

So I won't be able to pick you out in the crowd down in Waterford with the bright yellow speed shoes mixer! I'm assuming you're a saucony fan. I had a pair of the guides acouple of years ago but didn't get on well with them. I was thinking of going back to saucony though as I always think that a company that makes mostly running gear will always make a better shoe.

Bahanaman
    busy at moment tee shirts arrived medals arrived goodie bags arrived now to get people to fit into them to give them to and people to fill the goodie bags . Difficulty at the moment with stewards they are plentiful as hens teeth council promising earth moon and stars believe that when i see it.total entries as of yesterday 1250

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ye stuck for stewards? Did it last year, happy to help again if I'm around that weekend.

thanks dilbert that would be great you might ring me at 086 2320795 when you get a chance

• Advertisement

bahanaman
    Sorry for your troubles but i hope they put up a good show against Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Numbers up to 1500.... Anyone thinking of entering either distance should do so ASAP.

The closing date last year was June 15th and no exceptions were made.

Organisers are hopeful of hitting at least the 2000 athlete mark.

Make it happen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    Organisers are hopeful of hitting at least the 2000 athlete mark.

Make it happen!!!

You just want more company up front! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    You just want more company up front! ;)

Or more hiding places maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

what times are the pacers for the half marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Thinking of doing the half, did cork full marathon on monday so wouldnt be able for the full but the half route looks ok. Wonder what the numbers are like for the half..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    what times are the pacers for the half marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

RubyK wrote: »
    I hear the 2.00 pacers are excellent.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

RubyK wrote: »

thanks

far too fast for me unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    thanks

far too fast for me unfortunately

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of company whatever time you are hoping to run :) Here's a link for making your own pacebands

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/runners-world-pace-band-generator/3918.html

Not 100% sure if this will work for you, but, there are 4.30 and 5.00 hr full mara pacers. The full and half runners share the same route until mile 8.5, when the half turns off the Tramore Rd onto the Green Rd. If you are hoping to run 2.15hrs or 2.30hrs you could follow the guys until then, and you'll easily pace the last 4.6 miles yourself ;)

Best of luck with the rest of your training, it'll be a great day :)

Advertisement