Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about new 4 month old puppy

• 13-03-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi juSt got a 4mth old puppy...her mum is a German Shepard mix & her dad is a bichon frise. We got her first vaccination on Monday & started her worming tablets yesterday. She did a poop tonight that looked to have worms in it, is that just the tablets doing their job? Also could that be why she is wolfing down any food we give her or is tha just the German Shepard in her?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Where did you get her? has she ever been wormed before?

If she is full of worms when you got her at 4 mths, there is a chance that she was not looked after very well in her first months of life and that would explain why she is wolfing her food.

Try to get her a decent quality puppy food, not the supermarket stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Manona

Hi, we got her from a family (her mum & dad were family pets) but we have suspicions that the puppies were looking after themselves as the family kept one of them & that puppy was much big than the rest!!

We are feeding her good quality dry food & at regular times so she knows that she doesn't have to eat it all in case anyone else eats it!!

She wasn't wormed or vaccinated when we got her hence why we got it done the day after we got her....she's a very quick learner though as she is already going to the toilet on training mats!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

someone must have put her dad up to it thats an unusual cross any chance of a few pics please

As requested...doesn't really look like her dad....she's got a oil body & long legs....

Manona wrote: »
    As requested...doesn't really look like her dad....she's got a oil body & long legs....

ta for pic she looks fab looks like shes going to be spoiled they deserve to be remember any love you give them you get it back 10 fold

hope she has a long and happy life with you

• Advertisement

Hi, we got her from a family (her mum & dad were family pets) but we have suspicions that the puppies were looking after themselves as the family kept one of them & that puppy was much big than the rest!!

We are feeding her good quality dry food & at regular times so she knows that she doesn't have to eat it all in case anyone else eats it!!

She wasn't wormed or vaccinated when we got her hence why we got it done the day after we got her....she's a very quick learner though as she is already going to the toilet on training mats!!!

Irresponsibile people unfortunately. You would need to worm her again next month and monthly for a few months. Has she been checked for fleas and lice?

Good luck with her. She seems to have landed on her paws with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

jimf wrote: »
    someone must have put her dad up to it thats an unusual cross any chance of a few pics please

Literally!!

Any thoughts on car sickness?

Not sure if its just nerves or motion sickness she drools really heavily as well as vomiting when in the car as well hence why I think it might be nerves....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Worming a yound dog is very important as it can get worm burdens from a big infestation which could cause all sorts of internal damage to the intestines, stomach, organs etc. Generally if you have tapeworm which is the worm that looks like spagetti you more than likely have fleas. Advocate or similar should be put on him between his shoulderblades. However tapeworm is prob the mildest of the worms as bloodsucking worms such as round worm can be harder to unhinge. I would worm my dogs I always worm again after 10 days when new worm eggs have hatched then every six weeks after repeating the same method. One important thing is to vary the worming product from say parazole to drontel or panicur drenches etc. Dogs build an imunity to the same wormer and it can become ineffective. Hope this helps.

Don't forget Advocate does not kill tapeworm. I do however vary the wormers also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

yes thats true, I suggested advocate as the treatment for fleas.

Thanks....any thoughts on the car sickness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You can try a ginger nut biscuit just before you go out, a sprig of rosemary in the car can help apparently. Where in the car does the dog travel, i.e. in a closed in crate, or on the back seat with a harness? Can she see out of the window?

She sits in the back of the car, no crate, I normally leave the window ajar as well to give her some fresh air....might try the rosemary as would have it in the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

She's a beautiful pup, Manona. And probably very lucky that she's ended up in your home. Most pups take a while to get used to travelling in cars, so I wouldn't worry too much, just don't try and do too long a journey too close to having fed her. She'll get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

very cute little dog - doesnt look anything like what I would have imagined a german shep/bichon f. cross though!

Shes only 4 months old - my youngest dog took a while to get used to being in the car - just take your pup on short trips a few times. Maybe bring the blanket from her bed, so she has something familiar to lie on/smell. I found lots of short journeys to get him used to the car/motion etc helped my dog initially. He really was miserable, and I was worried he'd be a problem traveller (unlike my other dog who took to the car from day 1) Maybe dont feed her too close to the time that you know she's going to be travelling too, so she wont have the misery of throwing up. My dog's grown up now (physically, NOT mentally!! :rolleyes:) and loves going in the car. Good luck!!

aonb wrote: »
    very cute little dog - doesnt look anything like what I would have imagined a german shep/bichon f. cross though!

Shes only 4 months old - my youngest dog took a while to get used to being in the car - just take your pup on short trips a few times. Maybe bring the blanket from her bed, so she has something familiar to lie on/smell. I found lots of short journeys to get him used to the car/motion etc helped my dog initially. He really was miserable, and I was worried he'd be a problem traveller (unlike my other dog who took to the car from day 1) Maybe dont feed her too close to the time that you know she's going to be travelling too, so she wont have the misery of throwing up. My dog's grown up now (physically, NOT mentally!! :rolleyes:) and loves going in the car. Good luck!!

do they ever grow up mentally i have 5 ranging from 4 years to 11 years and they all still think their puppies and long may it continue

do they ever grow up mentally i have 5 ranging from 4 years to 11 years and they all still think their puppies and long may it continue

I know what you mean :D but this little chap of mine - two years old, and would definately be classed as THICK if he was human, god love him. Nicest personality you could ask for though, wouldnt swap a thing about him

aonb wrote: »
    I know what you mean :D but this little chap of mine - two years old, and would definately be classed as THICK if he was human, god love him. Nicest personality you could ask for though, wouldnt swap a thing about him

of course you wouldnt swap anything about him thats what makes him his little person

i have 1 who will sulk if i dont let her pull the sleeve of my jacket the first thing shes let out of her run every morning i gave her the bad habit when she was a pup so i have nobody to blame only myself and when i say sulk i mean sulk

so its easier to let her walk me for a few seconds and then were all happy

i have 1 who will sulk if i dont let her pull the sleeve of my jacket the first thing shes let out of her run every morning i gave her the bad habit when she was a pup so i have nobody to blame only myself and when i say sulk i mean sulk

Isnt it funny the sometimes very odd habits they get in to?! Thats obviously part of her security thing when she sees you in the morning, and if you dont let her do it, she thinks theres something wrong. My thick chap has bits of stuffed toys, when any of us get home/come back into the room, he has to run frantically, to get this 'rag' and comes back to us with it in his mouth! Wierd little animals...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 BURT DUB

Car sick in dogs usually nerves. Try to take very short journeys to fun location (e.g., beach park, walk) for the first couple of weeks. When she starts drooling, that means she is feeling very sick and you need to stop the car to let her out or risk your upholstery!

You may have to completely recondition her to the car ... meals in the car, engine off; play with her in the car, engine off, after a few days, meals in car, engine on, but still parked, play with in car, engine on. If she seems ok with this after a few more days, very short drives with lots of fun and praise at the other end.

So she's started biting....a lot...mainly us!! Have read a few different methods but would love to know if anyone has a proven method!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 BURT DUB

So she's started biting....a lot...mainly us!! Have read a few different methods but would love to know if anyone has a proven method!!

The method I usually use is a loud, high-pitched yelp (like a puppy who is hurt). It lets the pup know that she is biting too hard. This will give her a softer mouth without creating the likelihood of unexpected hard bite later.

If your acting skills aren't up for the puppy yelp, a loud no whenever she clamps down. She's probably teething, so lots of chew toys. You can offer her one once you have removed your hand/leg/foot/ear from her mouth.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Ya I used to shout really loud NO BITING and point at him. Then stop playing immediately and ignore him for a few mins. He got the message very quickly. Even now when he's done something bad all I have to do is point at him and he goes and lies in his crate and feels sorry for himself! I'd try this, you should start to see results in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Also about car sickness. My dog goes on a 4 hour car journey twice a month. I tried everything, travel tablets, loose in the car, harness etc. after a year and a half the only thing that works for him is not feeding him the day we are traveling, putting him in a crate on the back seat with the window a little ajar and the heat off in the car. We normally stop half way for 10 mins for a drink and a bathroom break :) it's the only thing that works for him. But it's trial and error. Try a few different things with your dog and see what he's happiest with.

Advertisement