Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laundrette In Ashleaf Shopping Centre (Won't give back Duvet!!!)

Options
  • 13-03-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

Not sure what to do... Would love to know where to turn to next. Here is a timeline of events:

• 10th Feb we dropped in a single feather duvet for cleaning at the laundrette at bottom of escalator. Was told it would be ready the 14th.
    • On the 14th we were told it was not ready and to call back the following week.
    • Called back the following week and told it was in the van as there was no room in the Ashleaf to keep it. Phone number was taken so they could call us (we have yet to be called).
    • 2nd March, we called back and they didn't have it. We were told it would be delivered to house direct.
    • 11th March, called again only to be shown a synthetic duvet, which was not ours. The girl there informed us she wasn't the owner. We talked via phone with a woman (presumably an owner or manager) who told us she was driving and couldn't talk to us.
    • We are as yet unaware of where our €85 duvet is. We paid in cash €15 to have it cleaned. Owners gone on holiday to Spain for two weeks now.
    Should we go to Gardaí? Can they do anything for us? They say they have our duvet but due to all the excuses above aren't giving it back to us. It's clear they have either lost it or given it to another customer. I have also contacted Ashleaf management but there isn't a whole lot they can do for us really. I know small claims is a possibility but the long wait is off putting, although we will pursue should there be no other remedy.

Would love any advice! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Gardai won't do anything. It's a civil matter.

You can file a claim with the Small Claims Court, or request that they replace the item within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Small Claims Court, if anything ... How on earth you might consider it a matter for the Gardai is absolutely beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ah god love ya!

Small Claims Court, if anything ... How on earth you might consider it a matter for the Gardai is absolutely beyond me!

Because they have our property over a month and despite numerous requests for its return, they refuse (even though they have it 'in their possession').

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Because they have our property over a month and despite numerous requests for its return, they refuse (even though they have it 'in their possession').

But you gave the duvet to them. They didn't steal it from you hence it's a civil matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Stand outside their place of business handing out leaflets detailing the situation above and wearing a placard stating they refuse to return your property to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Sounds like a cover up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I think they've lost it. Why it's taken all this time to admit it, I have no idea.

I would write a registered letter to the owner. Tell them the facts, enclose a copy of the ticket (DO NOT give them the original!), and tell them to either produce your property within a week, replace the quilt if lost or face small claims action.

But you gave the duvet to them. They didn't steal it from you hence it's a civil matter

And they promised its return a month ago and haven't given it back despite being asked to give it back. They won't admit it's lost and keep fobbing us off. At least the Gardaí could have some influence. In UK they have trading standards... Pity we have nothing similar! Dodgy businesses, like this laundrette seem to do as they please...

I think this is what we're going to try:

• Go to Gardaí and ask them to help (or at least get admission from the laundrette that they have lost our property).
    • Visit their other outlet in AYLESBURY Shopping Centre, Tallaght.
    • Lastly, lodge small claims proceedings.

Further question:
    If we have to go as far as small claims can we claim for cost of applying for small claims? Can we ask for expenses (petrol, time, hassle)?

Thanks for responses so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

It's nothing to do with the gardai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

The gardai deal with Criminal law not duvets. I sympathise with your situation and can see you're being fobbed off but it's not a criminal matter

I think this is what we're going to try:

• Go to Gardaí and ask them to help (or at least get admission from the laundrette that they have lost our property).
    • Visit their other outlet in AYLESBURY Shopping Centre, Tallaght.
    • Lastly, lodge small claims proceedings.

Why?? You've already been told it's a civil matter...
    Why are you going to their other outlet? From your OP that isn't the place you left the quilt. Waste of time.
    You've got the ticket (I presume). But you haven't got the item. That would indicate it was in the store's possession at some point.
    Further question:
    If we have to go as far as small claims can we claim for cost of applying for small claims? Can we ask for expenses (petrol, time, hassle)?

Thanks for responses so far!

Yes, AFAIK, you can ask for costs.

Whats the point of going to the Guards? Theyll laugh at you. Even when you report an actual crime they do nothing.

I dont get the point about visiting the other branch in Aylesbury shopping centre? Is it that you think they might have it?

Youd be better off sending them a registered letter telling them they have 1 week to produce your duvet, a full refund and compensation for your duvet or you'll be lodging small claims.

Whats the point of going to the Guards? Theyll laugh at you. Even when you report an actual crime they do nothing.

I dont get the point about visiting the other branch in Aylesbury shopping centre? Is it that you think they might have it?

Youd be better off sending them a registered letter telling them they have 1 week to produce your duvet, a full refund and compensation for your duvet or you'll be lodging small claims.

Which is what I said here...:D
    I think they've lost it. Why it's taken all this time to admit it, I have no idea.

I would write a registered letter to the owner. Tell them the facts, enclose a copy of the ticket (DO NOT give them the original!), and tell them to either produce your property within a week, replace the quilt if lost or face small claims action.

Which is what I said here...:D

Sorry AB - missed that.

Yeah, do what ^^ this poster said.

Great minds and all that! :D

I have thick skin. They can laugh. I'll still be inquiring why a business can take my property, charge me for a service and not return it nor give compensation. Is that the sort of sh1thole you want to live in? So, 'cause a couple of guards laugh at you you're willing to drop the principle and allow others get screwed over too?
    May bump into somebody connected to owner and get some answers. We were told by employee in Ashleaf that Aylesbury is the HQ for this <SNIP>.
    Thank you for that advice. If we end up having to go this route I will send registered letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Let us know how u get on in the station.

I have thick skin. They can laugh. I'll still be inquiring why a business can take my property, charge me for a service and not return it or give compensation. Is that the sort of sh1thole you want to live in? So, 'cause a couple of guards laugh at you you're willing to drop the principle and allow others get screwed over too?

Well theyll laugh because its a civil matter and nothing to do with them - but sure go ahead, I dont know if thick skin is the word or just general "fingers in ears NA NA NA NA NA NA" because a number of people here have told you the same thing but you still want to go to the Guards.

Best of luck getting your duvet back, Ive lost interest once you started using profanity - Id advise you not to try and deal with the business with that attitude.

Well theyll laugh because its a civil matter and nothing to do with them - but sure go ahead, I dont know if thick skin is the word or just general "fingers in ears NA NA NA NA NA NA" because a number of people here have told you the same thing but you still want to go to the Guards.

Best of luck getting your duvet back, Ive lost interest once you started using profanity - Id advise you not to try and deal with the business with that attitude.
    Thank you for advice. Sorry that you seem offended by my opinion on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

OP your best bet is to write a registered letter to the owner/directors of the business/company telling them that if the situation is not remedied within five working days (by the return of your duvet or the cost of replacement whatever the purchase cost is) that you'll have no hestitation in lodging proceedings against them. Do you know the name of the business/company? Check to see if the company/business is registered on the Company Registrations Office Website. You can only take smalls claims proceedings against a company/business. Btw, this is a civil matter. It's not an issue for the Gardai. Hope you get it sorted.

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanySearch.aspx

OP your best bet is to write a registered letter to the owner/directors of the business/company telling them that if the situation is not remedied within five working days (by the return of your duvet or the cost of replacement whatever the purchase cost is) that you'll have no hestitation in lodging proceedings against them. Do you know the name of the business/company? Check to see if the company/business is registered on the Company Registrations Office Website. You can only take smalls claims proceedings against a company/business. Btw, this is a civil matter. It's not an issue for the Gardai. Hope you get it sorted.

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanySearch.aspx

There's no name on the outlet. I'll have to inquire further to get that. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Further question:

Don't waste your time and don't waste the time of the Gardai. They can't help in a civil matter like this. They will not, in any way, get involved nor give advice.

No, small claims court doesn't deal with expenses. You can only claim for the cost of replacement of the item. Nothing else. Look up the small claims court website for more info.

http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrentweblookuptopnav/small%20claims%20procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

The best you will get from the small claims court is your €15 back, ie the money you paid for the service. You can't claim for costs or even the cost of the duvet.

You are claiming back you €15 for the service you bought under the Sales of Goods and Services act 1980.

Write to the company and give then 10 days to give back the duvet you describe. They should have insurance for these types of situation.

PS, I wouldnt name the company in question on a public forum....

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

The best you will get from the small claims court is your €15 back, ie the money you paid for the service. You can't claim for costs or even the cost of the duvet.

You are claiming back you €15 for the service you bought under the Sales of Goods and Services act 1980.

Write to the company and give then 10 days to give back the duvet you describe. They should have insurance for these types of situation.

PS, I wouldnt name the company in question on a public forum....

I'm pretty sure that can't be correct. How can you destroy/lose/give away somebody's property and be liable for purely the cost of the service provided?

I think a call to National Consumer Agency is in order...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Please don't waste Gardai time on something as silly as this civil matter,

This is a consumer issue and is not a criminal matter as you gave the item to the shop, in all honesty when you read about Gardai stations being closed is this why you think people are upset? That they can't get the Gardai to deal with tiny civil matters like this?

Whilst you may not like the information you've been provided regarding small claims etc, it is none the less correct information and once again the Gardai won't get involved in something like this. They have far more important issues to deal with outside of a consumer issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

To all those saying its a civil matter and nothing to do with the Garda,
    I wonder if your position would be the same when you replace the duvet with 50k worth of a car dropped of with a mechanic for a service and not found/returned a month on?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Don't see nothing wrong with having a chat with the Garda, Even though it is a civil matter a phone call from the gardai to the shop/owners can sometimes do wonders.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    To all those saying its a civil matter and nothing to do with the Garda,
    I wonder if your position would be the same when you replace the duvet with 50k worth of a car dropped of with a mechanic for a service and not found/returned a month on?!

Or perhaps a builder paid 15k and hasn't done the 15k worth of work and has done a runner.

Its still a civil matter and if you want to take examples from the UK it would come under the remit of trading standards and county court.....not the police.

Such issues do not come under the remit of the Gardai in Ireland as much as people might like them to, once again lets also put this issue back into perspective....its a duvet.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »

Or perhaps a builder paid 15k and hasn't done the 15k worth of work and has done a runner.

Its still a civil matter and if you want to take examples from the UK it would come under the remit of trading standards and county court.....not the police.

Such issues do not come under the remit of the Gardai in Ireland as much as people might like them to, once again lets also put this issue back into perspective....its a duvet.
    But there's somebody you can report to that has power to stop the trader trading if there's continued dodgy trading.

There's a big vacuum between dealing with a trader and going to court in my opinion.

I know going to Gardai is clinging to threads but on the face of it, it is criminal. They claim to have our property and aren't giving it back...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement