Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad or Windows 8 Tablet..?

• 13-03-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I'm considering getting an iPad but I've been seeing a lot about Windows tablets lately.

Any recommendations? Which is best in your opinions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Really depends on what you want it for, so what do you plan to use it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Rainbow_Bright

Meesared wrote: »

Most likely emails, Internet , reading docs etc. I'm leaning more towards the iPad .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Most likely emails, Internet , reading docs etc. I'm leaning more towards the iPad .

I'd go for windows in your case

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

Have to make a decision on what device to buy for 1st years. Net books are slow and for digital books, the screen is difficult to read. Have windows network. Considering iPad which would be good for books but maybe not prepare students for college ie research. Always felt that iPad more of a toy than a work horse. Also battery life is nb, netbooks good for this. Would love to hear some views..

Have a look at the Microsoft Surface, might be the answer to your questions

• Advertisement

Have a look at the Microsoft Surface, might be the answer to your questions

Thanks, will do. The netbooks worked out at 300 euro, seems like ms tablets are astronomical and unlikely parents can afford them. Do you know cost of surface?

Its in the region of 480 IIRC It does come with Office though so that negates some of the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

I have done a lot of work on this one and have ruled out the iPad for various reasons including incompatibility with our network - for how we want to use IT as a tool this is important to us.

Ms surface runs windows RT only at present, the educational publishers dont have software and will not be,developing software for RT.

I have looked at 5 different devices all have pros and cons. I estimate a cost of 1100€ min for good tablet, insurance, case and ebooks.

The ebooks are vastly overpriced imo regardless of the VAT argument.

Decision - wait til Sept 2014 when a bigger range and more competitive pricing is available. If youre planning for Sept 2013 you'd want to get your skates on, Its a lot of money. Regardless of the benefits of tablets people haven't much money and 5 months isnt much notice to come up with that money.

PM if you want.

Also,

Netbooks battery life is poor and may not last the,duration of the school day. Dont overlook the cost of management of devices and having some system in place for repairs etc and tech support.

We are already using netbooks for last 2 yrs. battery life is not a problem but getting them started up and navigating books is slow. We not set up for apple either but we may use ipad next year. Cost of netbooks rising, ipad good price now. In any case benefits outweigh negatives in big way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

what about this http://www.dell.com/ie/business/p/XPS-10-tablet/pd
    its the best of both worlds and you can buy a keyboard dock. The battery will last nearly 20 hours and it comes with office

JAMM222 wrote: »
    its the best of both worlds and you can buy a keyboard dock. The battery will last nearly 20 hours and it comes with office

The keyboard dock allowance you to connect a standard keyboard afaik. You can connect a Bluetooth keyboard but there is no stand to hold it up if you go this way. I'm hoping to get a look at one next week.

Theres a nice acer iconia I think it is comes with a detachable keyboard hav had one on trial for a few days nice bit of stuff. Keyboard has built in battery too for extra life!

Asus have a nice lookin tablet on the lower end of the price spectrum also.

I believe that 32gb is no good

JAMM222 wrote: »

The keyboard dock allowance you to connect a standard keyboard afaik. You can connect a Bluetooth keyboard but there is no stand to hold it up if you go this way. I'm hoping to get a look at one next week.

Theres a nice acer iconia I think it is comes with a detachable keyboard hav had one on trial for a few days nice bit of stuff. Keyboard has built in battery too for extra life!

Asus have a nice lookin tablet on the lower end of the price spectrum also.

I believe that 32gb is no good as the os takes up most of it

Advertisement