Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax and renting: Who pays?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

ladysarah wrote: »
    i am a landlady and the property tax is paid by THE OWNER not the tenant. now there is nothing stopping him increasing the rent but he/she cannot increase it above market rent. DO NOT pay the property tax.

He/she also cannot raise the rent while a fixed term lease is in effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

i know that i am not suggesting rhat. i only states the landlord may try to raise the rent but only to market value. even in the absense of a lease they may inly raise it legally once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

One thing to note, if the tax is not paid, the revenue will pursue the property owner and not the tenant.

There doesn't seem to be a comprehensive database of owners of properties that the revenue can use to locate property owners, hence why tenants are getting the letters - they are also making the people to whom the letter is addressed pay the tax or name the actual owner (not sure if it would stand up in court)-I think that this is to flush out the actual owners.

An example, my friend received a property tax demand for her parents property so she simply returned it with their names.

As a tenant, even if your landlord insisted I just wouldn't pay it. They'll be the ones to pay the fines and penalties!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Akiv89

Lyn256 wrote: »
    One thing to note, if the tax is not paid, the revenue will pursue the property owner and not the tenant.

As a tenant, even if your landlord insisted I just wouldn't pay it. They'll be the ones to pay the fines and penalties!

Of course, it would be silly for tenant to pay it, but what if landlord or his agent simply deduct it from the security deposit? Are there any legal grounds to bring a landlord to court and get the money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Akiv89 wrote: »
    Of course, it would be silly for tenant to pay it, but what if landlord or his agent simply deduct it from the security deposit? Are there any legal grounds to bring a landlord to court and get the money back?

Yes. The deposit can't be used for that.
    If a LL tried that you could go to the PRTB and get it back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement