Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's Dog crying

• 13-03-2013 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty close to having a nervous breakdown thanks to my neighbour's dog. The dog is crying day and night, sometimes for an hour at a time. They just seem to leave him there crying. Has anyone else any experience with this? Should I just go and tell them to do something about the dog?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is it a new pup/dog or has it been like this for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

tk123 wrote: »
    Is it a new pup/dog or has it been like this for a while?

I can't really see the dog. It's been crying/whimpering like this for weeks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If you're willing to approach your neighbours first that would be the best start. Tell them you are worried about the dog as he seems so distressed and you are finding the noise/crying both very upsetting and disruptive re: sleep etc. and could they please do something about it. Are there any other neighbours on the other side who could also support you? Numbers help. If this doesnt help you'll have to consider taking it further. If you could see the dog is neglected or similar you could also call the ISPCA.

I really feel for you - its just disgraceful that people get dogs to both neglect the poor things and also upset and disturb neighbours. The selfishness and ignorance beggers belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Its a really tricky situation. I have a simillar one with neighbours of mine. However, they lock the dogs in a shed when they get sick of the dogs crying and barking. I don't want to approach them as I'd be afraid that they'd just lock them in the shed a lot more. The problem with reporting it is that if the dogs have food and shelter at the moment under the current laws, that is enough.

There is a new animal welfare bill in progress at the moment and hopefully that will change things.

maggiepip wrote: »
    If you're willing to approach your neighbours first that would be the best start. Tell them you are worried about the dog as he seems so distressed and you are finding the noise/crying both very upsetting and disruptive re: sleep etc. and could they please do something about it. Are there any other neighbours on the other side who could also support you? Numbers help. If this doesnt help you'll have to consider taking it further. If you could see the dog is neglected or similar you could also call the ISPCA.

I really feel for you - its just disgraceful that people get dogs to both neglect the poor things and also upset and disturb neighbours. The selfishness and ignorance beggers belief.

The house isn't next to mine, it's actually over my back wall. It's kinda hard to describe. I can however see into a portion of their garden. They seem to have two sheds. I'd say one is for the dog so I'm pretty sure it's not being neglected.
    I know it's terrible, it's not the dog's fault, but there's some nights where if I had a gun, I'd shoot the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

I would approach your neighbor first. You might not know it but they may be trying to remedy the situation themselves and have had yet to have success.

I had the same problem with my dog and after experimenting with food, exercise, bedding, a vet's visit etc. I finally figured out how to keep him quiet. It took a couple of weeks of him moaning in the night to get it sorted and it may very well have sounded to my neighbours like I was ignoring the problem because I didn't want to reinforce my dog's behaviour with attention if it was a behavioural issue.

I would urge you to contact your neighbours first - they may not be the evil you think they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

...I'd say one is for the dog so I'm pretty sure it's not being neglected.....

You won't have too far too look to find plenty of people who would consider leaving a dog in the shed neglect.

While technically its correct in saying once the dog has food shelter and water that is legally enough, there have been many cases where the ISPCA have managed to get a dog surrendered - dogs who are just left in gardens all day and night etc... dogs who are in poor shape but still have shelter and water. So there is still a hope by reporting such neglected dogs(who do actually have shelter and water) the ISPCA can do something to help. Just so as not to deter people reporting neglected dogs.

wexie wrote: »

You won't have too far too look to find plenty of people who would consider leaving a dog in the shed neglect.

He/she is not locked in the shed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

He/she is not locked in the shed though.

Sorry I should probably have been more specific. What I meant is that just because a dog has food and shelter it doesn't mean it's being looked after (well).

Unfortunately in your case it'll be very hard to figure out exactly what is going on without engaging with your neighbour. Could be the dog has abandonment issues, could be it's afraid of the dark (not kidding, some dogs are), could just be a howler, it could be in need of medical attention, it could be something so simple as it crying at a toy that's out of reach.

Either way (generally) behaviour like that means something is wrong and I'd expect your neighbour to take action, even if just because of courtesy for the neighbourhood. However, like pointed out by an earlier poster, your neighbour could already be working on solving this issue.

(although if it was me and my dog I'd have already been round explaining and asking for some more patience).

I think you should try to find out what exactly is going on before deciding on a course of action. If your neighbour is a responsible dog owner try to find a little more patience while they try to sort things, if not, maybe consider contacting the ISPCA, council etc.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »

Sorry I should probably have been more specific. What I meant is that just because a dog has food and shelter it doesn't mean it's being looked after (well).

Unfortunately in your case it'll be very hard to figure out exactly what is going on without engaging with your neighbour. Could be the dog has abandonment issues, could be it's afraid of the dark (not kidding, some dogs are), could just be a howler, it could be in need of medical attention, it could be something so simple as it crying at a toy that's out of reach.

Either way (generally) behaviour like that means something is wrong and I'd expect your neighbour to take action, even if just because of courtesy for the neighbourhood. However, like pointed out by an earlier poster, your neighbour could already be working on solving this issue.

(although if it was me and my dog I'd have already been round explaining and asking for some more patience).

I think you should try to find out what exactly is going on before deciding on a course of action. If your neighbour is a responsible dog owner try to find a little more patience while they try to sort things, if not, maybe consider contacting the ISPCA, council etc.

It's been weeks of it now, my patience are gone. I'm going to speak to my next door neighbour to hear their thoughts on it.
    Thanks to everyone for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It's terrible. The terrier next door is outside all...day...long. She is absolutely stir-crazy. When she starts barking she won't stop for aaages. The dog's not left the back garden for nigh on 5 years. No joke. Makes me mad.

I would agree with the other posters here, in that if it's disruptive enough to you, that doing something (tactfully) is not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My mother is having a similar problem with her neighbour. First it was a red setter puppy that cried to be let inside every night (about 9 years ago), then after it went to the pound it was a Shih Tzu that cried and howled every time she left the house, and wouldn't stop until she came home (got killed recently on a main road because she got sick of complaints and just let it outside when she was gone). Then it was a cocker spaniel puppy, which cried all night and whenever she put it outside or locked it out of rooms (we are in an estate where the houses are identical so we could tell by the loudness what part of the house the dog was in). This stopped when she got rid of it because she couldn't toilet train it, and because the dog was too high-strung and energetic for her. She then replaced it within the week with... wait for it... a basset hound :rolleyes:
    My mum's recorded a record of 6 solid hours of actual howling. Same as the last pup, howls when left outside, howls when locked out of rooms and howls when left alone. The neighbour on my mums other side (who has a lovely lab who is getting very distressed by the behaviour) has actually moved to the bedroom not attached to the back or my mum's side of the house in order to sleep better. The dog is howling loud enough to go through TWO houses!
    She reported it, and the neighbour found out. Now my mum is facing some serious bullying and tormenting over it, and the warden has informed her that the dog is perfectly well-cared for, and that she doesn't howl at all.

Well, of course she doesn't howl when you are in the house with her and shes not locked out of rooms!

While technically its correct in saying once the dog has food shelter and water that is legally enough, there have been many cases where the ISPCA have managed to get a dog surrendered - dogs who are just left in gardens all day and night etc... dogs who are in poor shape but still have shelter and water. So there is still a hope by reporting such neglected dogs(who do actually have shelter and water) the ISPCA can do something to help. Just so as not to deter people reporting neglected dogs.

I certainly didn't intend to 'deter' anyone reporting it. My own experience in the past has been that when you phone the spca or the dog warden you will be asked if food and shelter is provided. If it is they will tell you that there is nothing they can do. Unless there is evidence of malnutrition or physical abuse under the current law nothing can be done. The crying/barking falls under the noise laws and can be proscecuted. If you go down that route there is every chance that the dogs situation may worsen if it is locked in a shed all day.

Things are never cut and dry in these situations. The neighbours are well aware of the dogs noise. I was at the vet yesterday and a woman came in with a dog. She mentioned that she'd had 2 visits from the residents association about her dog barking. She said 'you think people would have better things to do'

I certainly didn't intend to 'deter' anyone reporting it. My own experience in the past has been that when you phone the spca or the dog warden you will be asked if food and shelter is provided. If it is they will tell you that there is nothing they can do. Unless there is evidence of malnutrition or physical abuse under the current law nothing can be done. The crying/barking falls under the noise laws and can be proscecuted. If you go down that route there is every chance that the dogs situation may worsen if it is locked in a shed all day.

Things are never cut and dry in these situations. The neighbours are well aware of the dogs noise. I was at the vet yesterday and a woman came in with a dog. She mentioned that she'd had 2 visits from the residents association about her dog barking. She said 'you think people would have better things to do'

No no - I wasnt implying you meant to "deter" anyone - of course you didnt :) --but as I said there have been cases where the ISPCA have managed to get dogs surrendered which did actually have water/food/shelter - and no signs of physical problems. They probably prioritise more serious issues though. They can be very good at talking people into handing over their dog when they technically have no right to seize it.

Here are a few examples (and while 2 of these dogs were chained - that is quite legal in this country, unfortunately:mad:)

http://www.ispca.ie/rescue_cases/view/chained_outside

http://www.ispca.ie/rescue_cases/view/confined_and_isolated

http://www.ispca.ie/rescue_cases/view/new_chance_for_pixie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    My mother is having a similar problem with her neighbour. First it was a red setter puppy that cried to be let inside every night (about 9 years ago), then after it went to the pound it was a Shih Tzu that cried and howled every time she left the house, and wouldn't stop until she came home (got killed recently on a main road because she got sick of complaints and just let it outside when she was gone). Then it was a cocker spaniel puppy, which cried all night and whenever she put it outside or locked it out of rooms (we are in an estate where the houses are identical so we could tell by the loudness what part of the house the dog was in). This stopped when she got rid of it because she couldn't toilet train it, and because the dog was too high-strung and energetic for her. She then replaced it within the week with... wait for it... a basset hound :rolleyes:
    My mum's recorded a record of 6 solid hours of actual howling. Same as the last pup, howls when left outside, howls when locked out of rooms and howls when left alone. The neighbour on my mums other side (who has a lovely lab who is getting very distressed by the behaviour) has actually moved to the bedroom not attached to the back or my mum's side of the house in order to sleep better. The dog is howling loud enough to go through TWO houses!
    She reported it, and the neighbour found out. Now my mum is facing some serious bullying and tormenting over it, and the warden has informed her that the dog is perfectly well-cared for, and that she doesn't howl at all.

Well, of course she doesn't howl when you are in the house with her and shes not locked out of rooms!

WHY??!!! Why would this woman just keep getting dogs and then dumping them in the pound, letting them out on the road etc etc and just getting another one, she sounds like an absolute loon. That's just so awful for the dogs and your mum - and now your mum's being bullied by this woman? And the warden says the dog is fine? Oh my goodness, I honestly don't know what to say your post has incensed me!!!

No no - I wasnt implying you meant to "deter" anyone - of course you didnt :) --but as I said there have been cases where the ISPCA have managed to get dogs surrendered which did actually have water/food/shelter - and no signs of physical problems. They probably prioritise more serious issues though. They can be very good at talking people into handing over their dog when they technically have no right to seize it.

Here are a few examples (and while 2 of these dogs were chained - that is quite legal in this country, unfortunately:mad:)

http://www.ispca.ie/rescue_cases/view/chained_outside

http://www.ispca.ie/rescue_cases/view/confined_and_isolated

http://www.ispca.ie/rescue_cases/view/new_chance_for_pixie
    I'm glad we cleared that up:) I get very angry and upset when I see or hear of people treating animals badly. As I said, what with the animal legislation the way it is at the moment people can get away with a hell of a lot. Its extremely frustrating for anyone trying to help dogs who are clearly very unhappy. I listen to it every day and when it stops I look out my bedroom window and inevitably it has stopped because the shed door is shut. Its only ever shut when the dogs are locked in, as it is right now.

Its very hard to know what to do for the best, sadly,sometimes people can end up making things worse for the dogs when they make a complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

It's been weeks of it now, my patience are gone. I'm going to speak to my next door neighbour to hear their thoughts on it.
    Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Our neighbour, three houses up, have a husky type dog... When they would leave on a Sunday for the day - the dog would howl for 12 hours straight. The first summer they got the dog was not fun; the dog howled when they were not there, and by lord, did he have a loud howl.

The owner had been diagnosed with cancer, very serious operations etc. So the family were gone a lot on & off that summer. It wasn't as bad for us - as we could close back door & windows - but how the next-door neighbours & houses behind managed :confused:

Barking dogs are ok-ish - but the howlers.

Tough - we didn't say anything at the time, I don't know about any of the other neighbours.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    WHY??!!! Why would this woman just keep getting dogs and then dumping them in the pound, letting them out on the road etc etc and just getting another one, she sounds like an absolute loon. That's just so awful for the dogs and your mum - and now your mum's being bullied by this woman? And the warden says the dog is fine? Oh my goodness, I honestly don't know what to say your post has incensed me!!!

Its unfortunately the typical young single mum with kids that firmly believes a dog will complete the family... :(

Its shocking really, the sheer volume of these cases that exist around the country. Its seems to have become acceptable to treat dogs like this. Its even harder to imagine why that woman would be paying what must be quite a lot of money, for pedigree dogs, only to dump them when the novelty wears off with each of them.

• Advertisement

Its shocking really, the sheer volume of these cases that exist around the country. Its seems to have become acceptable to treat dogs like this. Its even harder to imagine why that woman would be paying what must be quite a lot of money, for pedigree dogs, only to dump them when the novelty wears off with each of them.

I can quite imagine that she is not spending nearly as much as one might think, since she has internet access - if you get me :(

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I can quite imagine that she is not spending nearly as much as one might think, since she has internet access - if you get me :(
    Jesus she sounds like a wonderful parent, nothing like teaching kids a bit of respect for animals:rolleyes::mad:

Jesus she sounds like a wonderful parent, nothing like teaching kids a bit of respect for animals:rolleyes::mad:

That's a whole different story entirely, but the whole thing is the problem with living in a close knit town like my mum does. One wrong word and half the neighborhood is on top of you :( I've just told mum to record the howling if it persists for more than an hour (my own dog has separation anxiety and will cry and bark for about 10 minutes after I leave, so I would give all noisy dogs that much grace at least) and contact the SPCA for the area. The dog warden doesn't seem interested since in order to get a look at the dog he needs to get into the house, and if he's in the house, so is she, and obviously the dog is quiet. My mum's only seen it walked once since she got it, and it wasn't even herself walking it - one of her mates at a guess.

Totally agree Pumpkinseeds, it's ridiculous the amount of people (and I know not all single/young mums are like this, but it's becoming an unfortunate trend) that feel they need to get a puppy (it never seems to be an adopted adult dog :rolleyes: ) to make their family complete. And unfortunately the same people tend to target the breeds that look cute even when they've grown, which are not always the most suitable for home and children living :(

Advertisement