Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What garden hose to buy?

Options
  • 13-03-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

I have no outdoor tap or garden hose so effectively have a clean slate.

Plan to drill through the wall at the utility room and hook into the mains water supply there.

Have a good bit of garden space so would need a good length hose.

Any advice on what tap, hose,real, kit etc... I should be looking at.
    Want something that will last but don't want to pay silly money either.

Tks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I have no outdoor tap or garden hose so effectively have a clean slate.

Plan to drill through the wall at the utility room and hook into the mains water supply there.

Have a good bit of garden space so would need a good length hose.

Any advice on what tap, hose,real, kit etc... I should be looking at.
    Want something that will last but don't want to pay silly money either.

Tks..

Jeezees..... It seems after hours the only place to get a query answered these days...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Jeezees..... It seems after hours the only place to get a query answered these days...

You only posted at 20:44 last night....Acting and posting like that towards everyone here wont get you many helpfull posts.

Depending on the size of your garden.......
    If you have a look at Aldi and Lidl,they are selling hoses,hose reels and hose accessories this week and next week.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-137BAB83-BD12DB32/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=29594

Also have a look on the Argos website for some hose reel kits.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=garden+hose&authToken=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If you want something that will last, try the hozelock range. Pretty sturdy. You can get them in B&Q

http://www.hozelock.com/

What is the hose for? If it's for vegetable irrigation, a dripper system is better. If it's for lawn, sprinklers. If it's for everything and anything, car, watering the neighbours dog... then yes, a hose, and reel is good.

Get an open reel... those closed ones are a pain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

pwurple wrote: »
    If you want something that will last, try the hozelock range. Pretty sturdy. You can get them in B&Q

http://www.hozelock.com/

What is the hose for? If it's for vegetable irrigation, a dripper system is better. If it's for lawn, sprinklers. If it's for everything and anything, car, watering the neighbours dog... then yes, a hose, and reel is good.

Get an open reel... those closed ones are a pain.

+1

The closed ones are too messy and can be a pain when unreeling and reeling back in the garden hose....prone to getting jammed/stuck.

Open reel hose cart for the win.:)

Gardena is just as good as Hozelock and theres some nice deals to be had on them in Argos at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Resurrecting an old thread. Looking for a new garden hose this year. What are people's experiences with those 'knitted' hoses? Have used various vinyl hoses here, and within a year or two they're inflexible and crack readily, including when you simply drag them across a gravel drive or concrete footpath.

Hozelock seems to be the 'high end' hose, but how do it's knitted hoses do over time versus their vinyl/woven type hoses? Need a hose around 50 meters. Live near the ocean, and the hose will live outside, probably unreeled just coiled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The only hose reel that I ever fit & I have fitted at least 10, is the big fully enclosed hozelock.

https://www.hozelock.com/our-products/watering/hose-reels/wall-mounted-fast-reel-with-40m-hose/#full-details

Everyone is still working well & you can pull out the full 40 metres & rewind it really quickly.

I wouldn't chose the automatic ones or any of the carts etc. B&Q usually have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Remember, buy cheap you buy twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

I've tried a few and it seems that the cheap ones you'll get in Aldi or Lidl will most definitely do the job. But, they are either stiff from day one or stiffen in the sun and weather. I'd say they're only suitable for laying along a path, or in some way 'permanent' locations. I'll be spending more next week when I go for a new hose for things like watering the veg or washing the car. The softer, higher quality ones are worth the money in the long term for easy of use and tidying away on a reel or a hanger. I've seen a lot of plumbers with soft yellow 'hose pipe' that isn't cheap but lays flat and is quite flexible, making life easier...

my 2c anyway

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Discodog wrote: »
    The only hose reel that I ever fit & I have fitted at least 10, is the big fully enclosed hozelock.

https://www.hozelock.com/our-products/watering/hose-reels/wall-mounted-fast-reel-with-40m-hose/#full-details

I have this windey uppy one aswell for the last 3 years and it's perfect. 40m of hose, unwinds and rewinds very easily. Automatically spools the hose properly on the way back in so it literally never jams. Comes with a little roller/feeder that you mount a foot below it so the main box is never under pressure when unreeling/reeling. Can be lifted off the wall bracket easily if you're worried it being nicked or need to use it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

If looking for a tough hose that will not kink, check out Everflow. Ain't cheap but best one I have used. Their connectors and fittings aren't great, for that I have used hozelock ones

• Advertisement

Shaunoc wrote: »
    If looking for a tough hose that will not kink, check out Everflow. Ain't cheap but best one I have used. Their connectors and fittings aren't great, for that I have used hozelock ones

Looking for a new hose myself.

Anyone see Everflow range anywhere? Can't find any online.

Are there any other recommendations?

Look above at my post re Hozelock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Do you always go for the Hozelock fast reel Discodog or have you tried the Auto reel yet?

Naos wrote: »
    Do you always go for the Hozelock fast reel Discodog or have you tried the Auto reel yet?

I don't like the auto reel. It requires more effort to pull it out & a sometimes unreliable locking mechanism. Then you have to really hold on & guide it back into the reel as the spring is quite strong.

The handle system is easy, fast & controllable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I bought this Hozelock from Screwfix couple of weeks back.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-2-in-1-reel-with-hose-25m/63087

Was a decent hose at a decent price, which included accessories.

Have it wall mounted and looks the part.

They have better quality hoses, I think its the 2nd in terms of quality, but it'll serve its purpose for me.

Advertisement