Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Wapping/Tower Hamlets

Options
  • 13-03-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

Making the move over to the bigger schmoke shortly, and just looking around for a place to stay. Considering a two bed apartment in the 1300-1500pcm range... I see a few of these around Wapping and Tower Hamlets area, which seem not too far away from the city and the West End where I'll be working.

Does anyone know if these areas are ok? Safe? Or can you recommend a better location? I'm a thirty something professional. Of course I'd love a balcony and parking but they're not absolute deal breakers!

Here's a sample of what I'm looking at:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-26223243.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

I don't know about Wapping but I wouldn't touch Tower Hamlets with a ten-foot clown pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 beercan810

Wapping is a nice quiet area and generally safe.

Parts of Tower Hamlets are a bit dodgy. That said there are also parts of Tower Hamlets which are very nice, typically those near Canary Wharf or by the thames.

Camden, Clapham, Battersea are worth a look. Ealing may also be an option if you are commuting to the West End.

Some general advice when looking for a place is to carefully consider the transport options. The DLR for instance tends to be less overcrowded in the mornings while the Northern and Central lines are insanely cramped. If you want to cycle to work have a look out for the cycle superhighways which are quite good.

The are also a lot of ex local authority flats which are rented out. While these flats can be nice inside, the tower block or area the flat is in may be run down. Question the estate agent as to whether the flat is ex local authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

serrity wrote: »
    I don't know about Wapping but I wouldn't touch Tower Hamlets with a ten-foot clown pole.

I have been living in Tower Hamlets for the last 2 years and thoroughly recommend it. Like anywhere else there may be a dodgy street here and there, but on a whole I love the area. I live close to Mile End tube, so you have district, hammersmith & city and central lines.. DLR is only few minutes away, and there are buses to Canary Warf and 24 hour bus to city.
    Regents canal, Mile End park and Victoria Park all offer great space for enjoying the outdoors and there are loads of lovely pubs and cafes...What's not to love?? I'm buying so have to move a bit further out and will be very sad to leave Tower Hamlets behind....

(PS, I promise I am not an employee of Tower Hamlets tourism board)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dantes

Thanks for all the replies, I've lost my fear of Tower Hamlets a little now! I found this place on Rightmove, any opinions?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-37508803.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

Super location.. Brick Lane (indian restaurants, bars, weekend markets), Shoreditch (clubs, bars, shopping) and Liverpool St/ Spitalfield markets all within an easy walk... I'd always advise having a walk around the area yourself though, get a feel for it and can see how safer it feels..

Problem I had initially was spent hours trawling websites looking at flats only to find they were all gone when i contacted agents. It's best be here, as when things come on the market, they don't stay on for too long, especially the nice ones!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

I think it's meant to be the poorest borough in London, so I'm sure it has a bad name, but I'm living here (Isle of Dogs) for the past 3 years and love the place. Well connected enough to commute into central, but feels a little less crowded than most places round London & feels like the area has a bit of community to it.

Tower Hamlets is a massive borough, I definitely wouldn't lump it together as one area that you can have an opinion on.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Do you know what rail/tube station is the nearest to your work? I am currently living in Hither Green which is about a 20/25 minute journey into Charring Cross and with your budget you would get something very nice in this area. Also the over ground train tend to be less busy(or so I am told) then the tube at peak time. Hither Green itself is very nice as long as you locate yourself on the better side of the tracks.....

Edit: Just for comparison I am staying in a one bedroom downstairs apartment(which is quite roomy) for £900 per month which includes all utility bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

serrity wrote: »
    Wapping is a "sanitized" enclave within Tower Hamlets. I was there on a Friday night maybe 3 weeks ago - absolutely completely and utterly dead. I have never seen such a quiet "high street" in my life.
    Feathers wrote: »
    I think it's meant to be the poorest borough in London...
    It's one of the poorest in the country actually. There is some serious deprivation in Tower Hamlets.

Advertisement