Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft beginner - first AEG - not shooting straight?

• 13-03-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Brand new and yet to skirmish. Bought my first AEG. An m4 G&G GR-15L.

I have not gotten to use it much yet, I bought it last weekend. But from a few tests in my back garden, it doesn't seem to shoot dead straight all the time.

It'll often shoot off centre to the left. When I go full auto it seems like one in 5 will complete shoot wide off to the left at an extreme angle.

Any tips for calibrating it or zeroing it? Could there be something wrong with it?

I also went a little crazy and bought a tracer system too (which is amazing) but I think this may seem to make things worse, I'm not sure yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

try cleaning the barrel with the supplied rod and a peice of "J" cloth. when you say it shoots left, how far left from point of aim and at what distance.
    if its a good bit it could be a twisted inner barrel in thr hop up unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Is it firing wayward shots with the tracer attached only? BB's may be impacting the tracer at the muzzle end.

Otherwise as Thermo said, clean your barrel and maybe re-seat your hop-up, that may require some expert input unless you are confident with some minor disassembly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Or it could be a case where you may have to dial in your hop up slowly that will put more of a spin on the bb and make it shoot straighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Varden

Hi there as the lads have said above It could be twisted barrel etc, but every AEG hop-up sets in over time, like braking in a new pair of shoes... give it a week or two and if the problem persists try the techniques above or take it back to the shop. Hope that helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Hi guys.

Thank you for the responses. After spending a bit of time with it now and testing it with a lot of plinking I can give a clearer picture of things.

It does seem that with the tracer on I am more likely to get rounds that veer off at insane angles.

With out the tracer things are more normal but it does not shoot straight. I have adjusted the iron sight to compensate and thus can hit what I aim at but surely this is not normal? See the picture.

Lastly looking at the barrel inside it does not appear to be dead centre with the outside barrel, I have no idea if this is normal or not but might be the cause of bb's hitting the inside of the tracer attachment. I've a pic of that also.

Thanks for your opinions :)

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2roma2w.jpg

http://oi50.tinypic.com/1zou78x.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

have you cleaned the barrel?
    have you tried to twist the barrel in the hop up unit?
    also what is the POI vs the POA at say 10m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Personally speaking I would recommend disassembling the rifle, removing the barrel & hop assembly, inspecting both barrel and hop up rubber for signs of wear (bend in the barrel, dirt, tears in the rubber, or signs of twisting) and replace parts that need replacing.

To start, remove all magazines & batteries etc, pop out the front pin (in front of the mag well), and slide the upper receiver off. Remove the barrel & hop assembly, and set it aside. On the upper receiver you want to check for movement in the outer barrel, as well as for signs of BB's hitting the end of the barrel. Tighten up the grub screws to keep the barrel secure, and set the receiver to one side.

Disassemble the barrel & hop - pop off the green circlip, hold the hop unit upside down (feed nozzle facing up), apply downward pressure on the barrel and carefully remove the barrel. The pressure should allow the hop up rubber to come out with the barrel. Remove the hop up rubber from the barrel, and go to your nearest flat surface - roll the barrel & inspect. Is it bent? It will be very obvious if it is, and that is where your problem would lie. If not, use this opportunity to clean your barrel. Take your cleaning rod, some synthetic non-linting cloth (e.g J-cloth), and dampen/moisten it with some water. Feed it down the barrel, twisting/twirling as you go. Repeat the process using fresh pieces of cloth, and keep going until one emerges clean.

Inspect the hop up rubber - are there any marks from it being twisted, or is it torn anywhere? If so, replace immediately. Put the hop up rubber back on the barrel (there is a line cut into the barrel which corresponds to the line moulded into the rubber), and install into the hop unit. Hold the unit/chamber upside down, and align the seam line of the chamber with the line cut into the barrel. Ensure it is straight as you ease the barrel in, and avoid twisting the barrel. A lot of people end up twisting the barrel in the last few millimeters...just take your time.

Reassemble the rifle, and test.

Actually, before that...what BB's are you using?

EDIT: If the rifle is brand new, do NOT disassemble as this will void your warranty. I was under the impression that the rifle was old/second hand, due to speed-reading the topic. Apologies for any confusion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭d.one

If you only have it a week bring it back to the shop let them sort it unless you feel confident in what you are about to do most shops will give a thirty day guarantee otherwise before you take it apart take a look at a few you tube videos of how to, this helped me no end when I stripped my first gear box , there's videos for most Airsoft stuff , good luck with it

Advertisement