Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Holiday Visa- Public Holidays

Options
  • 13-03-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I am about to complete my 6 months of work on a working holiday visa. Does anyone know if public holidays are counted in this 6 months? i.e. i am forced to take the following holidays unpaid-

Christmas day
    Boxing Day
    Australia Day
    Good Friday
    Easter Monday

Basically I want to know if i can work for the extra week that i was forced to take off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I am about to complete my 6 months of work on a working holiday visa. Does anyone know if public holidays are counted in this 6 months? i.e. i am forced to take the following holidays unpaid-

Christmas day
    Boxing Day
    Australia Day
    Good Friday
    Easter Monday

Basically I want to know if i can work for the extra week that i was forced to take off?

Well you'll still officially employed by the company even if you aren't working those days so of course they'll be counted in the six months. That would be like saying Saturday and Sunday don't count because your off weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

Well you'll still officially employed by the company even if you aren't working those days so of course they'll be counted in the six months. That would be like saying Saturday and Sunday don't count because your off weekends.

Not really. I hear that the farm workers can only claim "working days" towards their 88 days of regional work so therefore cant include weekends or days off. Thought it might have been similar for temp contracts as you get paid an hourly rate instead of a salary.

Yeah your prob right though. Clutching at straws trying to get another weeks pay to help cover the travel arrangements...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

As far as I'm aware, and obviously find out for sure. If you're employed as a full time worker, like working Monday to Friday, then the full week counts. If you're doing say part time or casual then it's the days worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If the job is legit and all above board then your entiled to it. Had the previgage of get a bank holiday for the Queens birthday when i was over there.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

All sorted. Spoke to my recruitment consultant and its a no go.

Aww well was worth a shot :)

Cheers for the feedback

• Advertisement
Advertisement