Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbarrack

• 13-03-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi everybody,

I am thinking about buying a place by Howth Junction, Kilbarrack, D5. And was wondering if this area is ok? would anybody recommend it or not? I know it was ruff a few years back, but people are telling me that it's much better now...
    thanks in advance for your help.
    val.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Ruff ?? Like a dog or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im from edenmore, just up the road from kilbarrack. its correct what people have told you, the area is grand now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

My sister lives right across from the train station and can't wait to get out. She is on the Raheny side and a lot of travellers live in the newer buildings beside the tracks. Their kids (or so I hear) are little scumbags making the place a nightmare to live in. I don't like to be in any way racist, but i've witnessed them interfering with cars beside the station on two separate occasions. They weren't trying to steal them, or anything. The first time I seen two kids of about 6, or 7 standing on a car bonnet and another time a kid of maybe 4 years of age was out on his own at 10:30pm whacking a stick against the mirror of a brand new Avensis. tbh, I felt sorry for the kid, but not sorry enough to want to live there.

The Howth Junction station area is fine though. The stations are very close to eachother. Only a few hundred metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 valerie75

thank you for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

What road is it on?

• Advertisement

just of st Donagh's park, the howth junction court appartments. just before the bridge.

valerie75 wrote: »
    just of st Donagh's park, the howth junction court appartments. just before the bridge.

It's fine there. Just don't rely on the 17A bus :D

It's also not Kilbarrack, or Raheny. Technically you'd be in the Donaghmede, D13 area.

thanks for that:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You might want to check out how well insulated the place is too.

If you're talking about the development I think you're talking about it is pretty close to the railway so you could end up being driven mad by the noise of the trains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If it is those apartments beside the station and rail bridge, I wouldn't touch them. Mostly the noise from the trains would drive you mad. They're new apartments that were built to make money, not to house people, so I can't imagine them being build with any real effort made to reduce the noise (and it's not just a dart line, it's a mainline, so you'll have all sorts of trains going by at all hours).

There's also a fair amount of crime around that particular area recently. Lot's of break-ins and car thefts, there's a couple of drug dealers that I know are living around the corner (although, sadly that's probably the same in every other area) and a recent murder right beside those apartments would be a pretty big turn off.

Donaghmede and Kilbarrack are for the most part, great places to live and are as safe as most places these days. It's just that particular corner that I'd advise against.

There's also this thread from a while back: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055808341

• Advertisement

OP what exactly are you looking for in a place to live? What attracted you to this development? Where are you coming from? The only real benefit I would see living in that vicinity would be the immediate proximity to the dart station, which in itself has its own problems with teenagers and people clogging up the road with poor/illegal parking. There are much better options available in the area.

There are apartments across from Tesco, Clarehall, not far from Kilbarrack. They are pretty decent and on the Malahide road, with plenty of buses going by the place every other minute. My Dad has lived in them for a few years and has no complaints. In fact, he has never even had to turn on the heating and he is in a first floor 2 bed apartment.

Thanks for all your helpful comments!

Advertisement