Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruiting Type 2 diabetes sufferers for an online research study !

Options
  • 13-03-2013 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I would like to start off by saying that this post has been cleared with a moderator.

Hello everyone.

My name is Orla. I am a student at the National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG). As part of my Masters in Health Psychology I am conducting research which hopes to improve self-management for people with type 2 diabetes.

I am running a free online self-management programme at www.yourdiabetesmanagement.net for which I am looking for participants who have type 2 diabetes.

The programme is an online intervention based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). ACT aims to transform a person's relationship with difficult feelings and thoughts and has been shown to be significantly effective with management of chronic pain and more recently with Type 2 Diabetes.

There are 4 sessions in total which are delivered through animations and followed by short exercises to help you learn the ACT processes and how they can be applied to your diabetes and life in general.

This intervention will be conducted online and will take 2 weeks for interested participants to complete, with a 4 week follow up, so 6 weeks in total. Obviously, participation is completely voluntary, but for anyone who would like to improve self-management of their diabetes, this project might be of interest.

If you have any questions, I am contactable at o.richardson1@nuigalway.ie or via the details below.

Thank you so much for your time,
    Kind regards,
    Orla

Contact details:
    Orla Richardson
    MSc Health Psychology,
    School of Psychology,
    NUIG,
    Galway,
    Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Eimear811

I've been newly diagnosed with Type 2 and I saw this here last week and signed up..was a bit sceptical to be honest. I've really enjoyed the first two sessions though and I'm already starting to try and apply the techniques to everyday life. Its a bit early but I think they might be making a difference! Hopefully! Looking forward to week 2 to see what that holds. Its great to be able to get stuff like this for free!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OrlaR

Eimear811 wrote: »
    I've been newly diagnosed with Type 2 and I saw this here last week and signed up..was a bit sceptical to be honest. I've really enjoyed the first two sessions though and I'm already starting to try and apply the techniques to everyday life. Its a bit early but I think they might be making a difference! Hopefully! Looking forward to week 2 to see what that holds. Its great to be able to get stuff like this for free!!!

Thank you! I understand your initial skepticism, ACT is pretty counter-intuitive when you first learn about it, so I'm glad to hear you are finding it helpful. It's great to see such a great response to the programme from all the participants so far. Feel free to contact me again at any stage if you have any questions!

Orla

Advertisement