Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pensions

• 13-03-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I worked for five years up to 1983.I stopped work to look after my children only doing the odd day/week/month of work during that time.I might have a job in September and I am wondering if I can add the credits to my previous credits or is the gap too big.What do I need to qualify for a pension or is my only option going to be a non-contributary pension.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

To qualify for the OACP you need to have 520 paid contributions, this is equivalent to 10 years work.
    You then have to have an average of minimum 10 contributions per year over your working life, this is from when you first went into paid employment. This would then only entitle you to the minimum pension, amount currently €92 per week. All your contributions will add together regardless of the gap. How many years have you left until you are 66?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Would this help?
    Working in the home and State pensions
    In 1994, regulations were made that should make it easier for people who take some time off work to care for family members to qualify for pensions. The Homemakers' Scheme is for people who have been carers since or after 1994. It does not affect people who were carers before April 1994 and it is not of much use to those who give up work permanently. It is of greatest importance for those who work outside the home for a number of years, then spend a number of years as carers and then return to the workforce. It applies equally to women and men.

From 5 April 1994, any contribution year spent as a homemaker may be disregarded in the calculation of the yearly average up to a maximum of 20 years. So, the fact that you do not have any contributions in those years will not affect your entitlement to a pension.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/older_and_retired_people/state_pension_contributory.html

Advertisement