Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo shortage

Options
  • 14-03-2013 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Looks like we better stock up on ammo for next deer season.
    I hear American ammo will be in short supply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Looks like we better stock up on ammo for next deer season.
    I hear American ammo will be in short supply.
    There is a lot of talk on American gun forums about ammo supply problems. Since the talk of controls a lot people have been stock piling and even .22lr rounds have been running out. It's bound to have a knock on effect in other parts if the World

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Was hoping for a glut of ammo when the US pulls out of the sandbox in 2014.
    Heard it's not going to happen.

Looks like wishful thinking now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The ammo factories are working flat out to supply the demand worldwide,but it is related to multiple factors.
    1]
    The US Govt contracts for supply of ammo are up this year,and there is much pushing and shoving for who will get a serious hunk of Uncle Sams money to supply the ammo,during the meanwhile the US armed forces are buying up stockpiles in case somthing should kick off when the re organisation is going on.

2]
    The unintended consequences of Obama declaring gun bans,has caused mass panic buying on both sides of the law..The citizenery have bought and are buying up 6million plus semi auto rifles since Dec 12,and in some cases they are backorders till 2015!!Even obscure calibres are becoming hard to get in places.
    The more sinister US govt agencies like Dept Homeland Security have bought over 2 billion rounds of 40 S&W and 9mm alone...
    Maybe they are expecting somthing to kick off??:rolleyes:

3]
    Cost of production of ammo hasnt gone down,but is rising due to shortages of lead,copper and brass.Everyone is buying the stuff as well in the developing world like China,India etc to supply their own arms industries and industrial need.

4]
    Americas allies and friends have their orders in as well that need to be supplied,that includes our PTB as well. We bought a few million rounds for AGS last Autumn as well.:p

5]
    Us Irish gunowners are on the end of a very long supply chain,and a miniscule market even in European terms,so it isnt surprising that it will go up here as well.

So all in all a perfect storm.Whether it is beginning or we are in the middle or coming out of it is anyones guess and we wont know until maybe the Autumn of 2013.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Was hoping for a glut of ammo when the US pulls out of the sandbox in 2014.
    Heard it's not going to happen.

Looks like wishful thinking now.

Heh, you might be waiting a while. I think if I raised my hand they would suck me over in a heartbeat, and they are supposed to be "winding down". Besides, with the instability prevailing these days, another sand box will open up, meanwhile there are several other sandboxes "under the radar".

Grizzly has it mostly correct, the Homeland Security contracts are "indefinite delivery indefinite quantity", known in my circles as an "IDIQ" type contract. The one I am recently aware of is for .40 cal hollow point ammo, it is for up to 2 billion, or whatever is the limit. Doesn't mean they will will buy up to the full amount, and they all have a guaranteed minimum. Contractor just has to have the capacity to get up to the max during the contract period if Uncle puts in the orders.

Meanwhile, panic not Irish deer stalkers, fox killers, rabbit assassins, and paper pluggers. My trusty sources indicate that .22 LR, .223, .243, .270, .308, .30-06 and others popular there are in decent supply in the USA. Yep, .22LR is up and .223 is up, but higher prices in general are expected, copper and lead going up in recent years, and now the Obama run w/ govt buying added in.

As for handgun calibers, thats where you'll have a slight problem. For a while there was virtually no 9mm Luger. Now there is some, but no cheap target ammo, and its gone from 15-30 cents per rd to over $1 dollar. .40 S&W and .45 ACP are making a bit of a come back, at about 45-50 cents per round minimum.

Obama has been the greatest thing for guns, ammo, reloading and shooting sales of all kinds. Millions more semi auto rifles and pistols sold in months. NRA life memberships are down from $600 to $300, multiple women I know are now NRA members who never would have been in years past. We are armed to the gills, crime is way down, gun violence is way down. Gun control may be tried in many forms, but it won't ever succeed the USA in 1) reducing gun crime, or in 2) getting our guns away from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

This below might be good news for the rest of us, less ammo for them and more for us! :cool:

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/23/more-gun-companies-not-selling-to-law-enforcement-in-anti-2nd-amendment-states/

"Some gun manufacturers say they will no longer sell their firearms to New York law enforcement agencies after the state passed a broad assault-weapons ban last month."

"The list of companies that have stopped selling firearms and ammunition to law enforcement agencies in states that are restricting the Second Amendment has more than doubled since Wednesday and is more than five times larger than just one week ago. There are 42 companies on our list, with more being added as we receive notification…"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mick ah

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/23/more-gun-companies-not-selling-to-law-enforcement-in-anti-2nd-amendment-states/

"Some gun manufacturers say they will no longer sell their firearms to New York law enforcement agencies after the state passed a broad assault-weapons ban last month."

"The list of companies that have stopped selling firearms and ammunition to law enforcement agencies in states that are restricting the Second Amendment has more than doubled since Wednesday and is more than five times larger than just one week ago. There are 42 companies on our list, with more being added as we receive notification…"

Jesus, talk about a hissy fit. I think it's disgusting how big business tries (and mostly succeeds) to manipulate policy makers.

Restricting access to weapons and ammo would be is a good thing. Leave it in the hands of law enforcement. And if those companies won't supply New York, someone else will.

Not quite. BIG business has a long history of active lobbying and colusion with big government to get what they want. Most of these are small businesses in niche industries, but in total the effect will be significant in taking jobs out of the states that try to circumvent the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭CollardGreens

esus, talk about a hissy fit. I think it's disgusting how big business tries (and mostly succeeds) to manipulate policy makers.

Restricting access to weapons and ammo would be is a good thing. Leave it in the hands of law enforcement. And if those companies won't supply New York, someone else will.

Friend you don't understand (so it seems) the second amendment of our constitution in America. It was written FOR THE PEOPLE, not the government or agents of the gov. It is for us "just in case" our government tries to take over, which is what a few control hungry mentally deranged congress people (can anybody say Diane) are trying to do, and these are the same people that have NEVER shot a gun and know nothing other than they want to control other people.

From what you said, I don't think you would like America and our constitution at all. I love my country, and the laws our fore fathers wrote for us.

btw, Isn't this the shooting forum or did I get lost with the political group? Somebody wanted bullets, I brought fourth good tidings! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

You are in the correct forum, alright.

Shooting forum in the counrty that surrendered all its civilian arms in 1972.

btw, Isn't this the shooting forum or did I get lost with the political group? Somebody wanted bullets, I brought fourth good tidings! ;)

I'm sure one of the Mods will be along shortly to have a friendly word about posting rules on RTKBA and such.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

And here i am.

The discussion of anything firearm related is welcomed regardless of the country in question. However as Grizzly45 pointed to the topic of RTKBA is prohibited on this forum as it's illegal in Ireland.

By all means you may discuss what you wish, but be mindful that it's an Irish forum, and our laws are stricter than most anywhere else meaning topics that could be freely discussed elsewhere cannot be discussed here.

Lastly i have edited some posts to remove comments of a highly insulting, and derogatory nature. Rule #1 is to keep it civil. If you cannot do that your access to this forum will be removed. Attack the post, and not the poster.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Just wanted to know whats the story in america with all the ammo shortage and people stockin up havin thousands of rounds stashed away.You cant get any ammo in store or online anywhere and even if there is 10,000 rounds in a shop its sells out with 1-2 hours even with a 100 round limit per customer depending on stores!Is there any ammo shortages here or prices goin up?

Heres one of americas biggest online shops with loads of stores around the country and their sold of of alot of stuff only having the odd uncommon calibers and non defensive hunting rounds.You cant get 7.62,5.56,243,223,9mm,45acp,357 etc even 12g ammo cant be got!

Just checked all 17hmr is sold out!

http://www.basspro.com/Ammunition/_/S-12400002000

Just wanted to know some peoples thoughs on it aswell :)

.308 and .223 are available, just not as available as before, but .308 prices have not gone up all that much compared to before. .243 has decent availability on line. 9mm is bad but can be ordered at $1.60 per round whereas it used to be 20-30 cents a couple months ago. .45 ACP has better availability than 9mm, .357 is indeed in short supply but can be had for .90 to over a dollar per round. .17 HMR is short supply, but Gander Mtn, Ammo Depot and Cheaper Than Dirt all have some in stock right now. This is all temporary until the factories catch up and the gun control sparked demand peaks and subsides.

Cabela's told me that they get regular shipments of ammo, and then they are bought out very quickly, but then the shipments keep coming. So the ammo is being produced and shipped regularly, it just gets sold as soon as it appears.

The biggest problem I see right now, and totally underestimated is .22LR. Unless you are willing to pay $20-$30 per 50 of Eley or other target ammo, it is the least available in USA. Some gun shops have it in stock, but have limitations on how many boxes to purchase. This too shall pass. Last I checked there was still decent availability of .22LR and other ammo around Europe and ROI, and no need for anybody over there to panic in my humble opinion.

EWQuinn wrote: »
    9mm is bad but can be ordered at $1.60 per round whereas it used to be 20-30 cents a couple months ago.

The biggest problem I see right now, and totally underestimated is .22LR. Unless you are willing to pay $20-$30 per 50 of Eley or other target ammo, it is the least available in USA. Some gun shops have it in stock, but have limitations on how many boxes to purchase.

9mm thats sum big difference!

22lr i was surprised when i heard that aswell wonder how long this is going to go on for!?

Were people stocking up on 5.56 and 7.62 as the semi auto guns like the AR15 and AK's take that and people are afraid they will be banned!

Also people are buying up semi auto guns like the AR15 incase of a ban an apparently they cant be got!?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

EWQuinn wrote: »
    Unless you are willing to pay $20-$30 per 50 of Eley or other target ammo

:eek:

That's $400-600 per thousand. At least €300-450 per thousand? That's mad! I didn't think anything firearms related in the US would be 50% more expensive than here.

IRLConor wrote: »

I didn't think anything firearms related in the US would be 50% more expensive than here.

Ye u think it would be the other way around!Was lookin at a ruger 10/22 $250 which is 200 euro in the US they go for 400 euro here!

IRLConor wrote: »

That's $400-600 per thousand. At least €300-450 per thousand? That's mad! I didn't think anything firearms related in the US would be 50% more expensive than here.

Its all over the map, somebody today is listing some Remington 40 gr RN at about .17 cents a round US, that one won't last believe me.

The .22LR target ammo is running $16 - $27 US per 50 at the moment, for the handful of places that stock it. I bet that a person can get a couple boxes of 50 for a little less at SOME of the local shops, but limited to only 1 or 2 per purchase.

I bought some Fed 550 rd bulk boxes (of 36 gr copper plated 1260 fps) at Walmart back when they were $14 US per box. They are not as accurate as CCI Mini Mags, but they will do just fine. I am being extra careful now in shot placement, so that helps improve accuracy :)

1shot16 wrote: »
    9mm thats sum big difference!

22lr i was surprised when i heard that aswell wonder how long this is going to go on for!?

Were people stocking up on 5.56 and 7.62 as the semi auto guns like the AR15 and AK's take that and people are afraid they will be banned!

Also people are buying up semi auto guns like the AR15 incase of a ban an apparently they cant be got!?

There are some gas guns available now in limited numbers, production coming back, and the mil spec rifle ammo is available, just limited. Price did not spike on the mil calibers of rifle as much as the handgun ammo. Today 9mm is virtually non available.

I may be wrong, but this should subside about mid or late summer, and I don't see the euro markets being affected as much. ROI should be fine on availability, but prices might go up some.

TBH ,I cant see why it should affect Europe anyway,with our own armaments market,but for some reason it does??OBummer isnt allowing any imports of foreign ammo into the US either to calm things down. So by and large we should be able to get ammo at reasonable prices.Only reason I can think of is the raw materials on the World market prices have gone up again and the Global players are hogging it for their use .:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    TBH ,I cant see why it should affect Europe anyway,with our own armaments market,but for some reason it does??OBummer isnt allowing any imports of foreign ammo into the US either to calm things down. So by and large we should be able to get ammo at reasonable prices.Only reason I can think of is the raw materials on the World market prices have gone up again and the Global players are hogging it for their use .:confused:

There's not exactly a shortage of UK, German, French and Italian ammo being made especially when you're looking for shotgun and .22 rimfire ammo. As for price, none of the raw materials have been getting any cheaper so I suppose it's just a matter of taking this one on the chin as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

With a bit of luck prices of ammo will come down in Ireland for the following reasons:
    1. American shooters will be stocked up and stop panic buying
    2. American ammo factories will over produce in response to a temporary surge in demand
    3. American politicians will get some balls and both slap down big industry interests and establish some control of non-sporting gun sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Supply may exceed demand at some point but that doesn't mean any savings will be passed on by retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

3. American politicians will get some balls and both slap down big industry interests and establish some control of non-sporting gun sales.

How would that bring down the price of ammunition?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Overcapacity for some lenght of time. Prob wouldn't reduce price tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I was at an indoor pistol range yesterday, in Cleveland Ohio. No .22, no 38, no 9mm. Only had .40 and .45 and were limited to one box per person.

This is common all over Ohio. The shops tend to sell out of any new stock within minutes.

Firearms sales have now increased for .40 and .45 models, since there is a bit more ammo for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

For the conspiracy theorists among the populace; it's probably the US government implementing gun control on the sly. Most fatal shooting sprees have been done with semi-auto rifles and semi-auto pistols so we'll buy up such quantities of ammo that the guns become useless anyway. Pity for the law abiding owner but the dangerous lunatics won't get any fresh ammo anymore either....

The gun industry is not big industry, not even close. Big industry generally supports Bloomberg, Schumer and people of similar persuation who want to control every aspect of our lives. The only thing protecting gun ownership in America is the Constitution and a strong group of very passionate voters like me. Big corporations by and large are not supportive of gun rights, gun rights are mainly grass roots here, regardless of the propaganda put out by the media about us and the NRA. Both sides have their billionaire and millionaire supporters, meanwhile the gun controllers have the media lock stock & barrel (oops).

Gun control will never be a reality across the board in America because of the massive numbers of gun owners, and the fact that gun control is the least popular policy among democrats who like their guns too. In the west such as Colorado, that law will not be widely enforced. If the laws on the books now, along with common sense application of process against nuts were enforced, there would have been 1 or 2 less recent shootings. Colorado University employees had a clear shot to go after the "Joker" prior to the Aurora shooting and failed to take action, a huge scandal breaking now in Colorado. They will pay $$ for that.

Court cases will erode some of the more draconian aspects of other recent knee jerk laws assaulting the rights of law abiding citizens. Meanwhile with the economy tanking and other issues more pressing like missles in Korea, only 4% of Americans see gun control as the most important issue. By 2014 the Obama agenda may well take its toll similar to 1994 and 2010 with a backlash.

Ammo prices will likely be lower later this year, then barring a new outbreak of war, someday there will probably be a glut of folks wanting to sell ammo, magazines, etc.

Advertisement