Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

seborrhic dermatitis

• 14-03-2013 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

I have had dry skin around my chin and under it for the past year and a half. Ive gone to my Dr numerous times about it and he wasn't sure what it was the last diagnosis is seborric dermatitis . He gave me nizoral cream and eumovate which.i don't find helpful at all. I am at my wits end trying to find a treatment that actually helps. The patches do be very dry and itchy and the the flakes come off the patches are red raw. Is there anyone.that may have gone through a similar situation or anyone that may have. Advice. I cant put make up over it as it makes it worse.its really starting to affect my confidence :-(
    thanks in advance for any replies!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Get your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist, particularly coz its a long term condition a dermatologist is in the best position to diagnose it. Other treatments may worsen condition or cause scarring. Sorry thats not much help I do hope you find something to make it better!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Thanks scraggs i got my gprs to refer Me to another gp. Who specializes in dermatology and after seeing him a few times he concluded that its just one of those things that ill have to learn to live with :-( might have to get a second opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I was told I had this many years ago. The symptoms are exactly as you have described. I use 1% cortizone cream and it works wonders. You can get it in the chemist. Not sure if you need a prescription. I got it without one last time I needed it in Ireland. If you get some, use only a tiny bit on the affected area, after washing.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

I've had this for years OP, it first appeared on my scalp and at different times has been behind/inside my ears and on my arms.

For me two of the causes are weather and stress, my scalp always gets worse in the cold and I then tend to be at it more which makes it worse.

I've had mixed experiences with medicated creams, while they will remove the scale they don't treat the root cause-I would get a second opinion if I were you but I'd also try something to soothe the patch so that it is less uncomfortable.

Perhaps use a mineral powder make up instead of traditional bases? There will be less irritants in good quality mineral make up. And in terms of overall skincare I find the Avene range pretty good http://www.avene.co.uk/Intolerant-Skin-Products.

Thanks gosub and ninaluna . I have that hydracortisone cream alright but im scared to use it as it causes thinning of the skin? But maybe a tiny bit would be ok. Ninaluna i think you might be on to something about the stress, it flares up bad when im stresses and i have been a lot lately. Don't know if the sun would help, hopefully well get some to test that out. I think i have that avenue cream you are talking about might give it another try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

pushkii wrote: »
    Thanks gosub and ninaluna . I have that hydracortisone cream alright but im scared to use it as it causes thinning of the skin? But maybe a tiny bit would be ok. Ninaluna i think you might be on to something about the stress, it flares up bad when im stresses and i have been a lot lately. Don't know if the sun would help, hopefully well get some to test that out. I think i have that avenue cream you are talking about might give it another try.
    All I can tell you about the cream is that I've been using it on my face for about 30 years. It doesn't seem to have done me any harm. If I forget to use it after washing, my skin feels like it's going tight and then the itching starts. Immediately after application, the skin feels normal again.

When I have bought the cream in Ireland, the chemist has gone to great pains to tell me to use just a tiny amount.

I find that the more sunlight my face gets, the less I suffer from the condition. But, I have a slight advantage here... I live in the south of Spain.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi Pushkii,years ago I suffered from very bad psoriasis,it was all over,face,scalp,belly,underarms,knees etc. After years of all sorts of creams I was old enough to try find something that really worked. I found Dead Sea Salts mixed in with a little emusifying ointment worked wonders. I bought a small bag of salts from a health shop and a tub of the ointment from a chemist,mixed a little together and applied. Do it at night,when you can leave it on a while. It does sting if your skin is cut but i found it to work amazingly.

Hi Pushkii,years ago I suffered from very bad psoriasis,it was all over,face,scalp,belly,underarms,knees etc. After years of all sorts of creams I was old enough to try find something that really worked. I found Dead Sea Salts mixed in with a little emusifying ointment worked wonders. I bought a small bag of salts from a health shop and a tub of the ointment from a chemist,mixed a little together and applied. Do it at night,when you can leave it on a while. It does sting if your skin is cut but i found it to work amazingly.
    Thanks ger valley ill give that a go

ger, i tried this last night with another ointment, maybe i should have used the emulsifing ointment, it stung like hell a couldn't bear it had to wash it off, do you crush or dissolve the salt before mixing it withthe ointment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FarmerSmith

I've had this since I was 21 (am 34 now) on my scalp and face.

I used to use dactacort (not sure I've spelled that right) but it has thinned my skin so I wanted something more natural.

What works for me now is Elvive anti-dandruff shampoo (blue bottle orange lid) and on my face diluted organic apple cider vinegar (I started with 5:1 dilution and now mostly use 3:1). At the start the vinegar can make your skin very red (never use it just before going out) but it REALLY works well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Hey OP, I have chronic dermatitis on my scalp and recently it's been spreading to my face, neck and chest. To treat it, I use Cocois ointment, you can get it over the counter from the chemist. It's got coal tar, salycylic acid and coconut oil (amongst other things) and works really well.

It's a bit of a pain as you have to apply it, leave it on for an hour and then wash it off. Shouldn't be too bad if it's just your chin that's affected. If you use it everyday for a week, you should only need to use it maybe once a week after that unless you get a bad flare up. Worth a try anyway :)

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Hey OP, I have chronic dermatitis on my scalp and recently it's been spreading to my face, neck and chest. To treat it, I use Cocois ointment, you can get it over the counter from the chemist. It's got coal tar, salycylic acid and coconut oil (amongst other things) and works really well.

It's a bit of a pain as you have to apply it, leave it on for an hour and then wash it off. Shouldn't be too bad if it's just your chin that's affected. If you use it everyday for a week, you should only need to use it maybe once a week after that unless you get a bad flare up. Worth a try anyway :)
    thanks a million illyana ill definitely be giving it a go !!

thanks a million illyana ill definitely be giving it a go !!

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but I bought the 100g tube yesterday in a Sam McCauley chemist in Carlow town and it was reduced from 20euro to 16euro :)

i got a tube for ten euro in my local chemist don't know the size of tube off hand but its big. i started the treatment yesterday day 3 tomorrow i really hope it helps as im at my wits end. is it just once a day you apply it? does it matter when its applied and should i use anything over the patches after washing off the cocois ?sorry for all the questions and thank you :-)

i got a tube for ten euro in my local chemist don't know the size of tube off hand but its big. i started the treatment yesterday day 3 tomorrow i really hope it helps as im at my wits end. is it just once a day you apply it? does it matter when its applied and should i use anything over the patches after washing off the cocois ?sorry for all the questions and thank you :-)

Yeah I just do it once in the evening before a shower, though it doesn't really matter when you do it. Once a day is enough though.

I just use a dry skin moisturiser on the dry patches (that aren't on my scalp) after I wash it off, but it's up to you really. I find the moisturiser makes the patches a little softer :)

You're grand, good luck with it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Has anyone used Epaderm? Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

Hi op, I've had the same problem with my skin for a good few years. I used to only get bouts of it twice a year that would each last for a week at a time, but this year I've had it 3 times already! It appears around my nose and mouth and is itchy and uncomfortable. I work in polytunnels a lot and think it's down to the high humidity levels.
    It was so bad last month that I started covering my nose in toothpaste at night just to relieve the itchiness. I don't like using steroids on my face as they thin the skin so I had a chat with my local pharmacist about alternative options and she recommended a cream called MOOGOO Irritable Skin Balm. My skin cleared up within 2 days! It cost €16.00 for 120gm tube and I have nearly the full tube left in case I get another breakout. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. I googled it there and see they have a website up and running, have a look at this page

http://moogoo.ie/keratosis-pilaris/

Here's the link for the irritable skin balm

http://moogoo.ie/irritable-skin-balm.html

If the Cocois ointment doesn't work I would definitely give it a go.
    Let me know how you get on!

Advertisement