Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish learner's permit in Australia

Options
  • 14-03-2013 4:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I got my 2nd provisional/learners permit before I came over to Perth on a WHV. I'm just wondering whether im allowed to drive on this license over here. Ive done some searching on here but cant get a definite answer, some say thet have been giving oz L, P or even full licenses in exchange and some say you must start from scratch. Some even say theyve not bothered exchanging their irish licenses and got away with it when stopped?!
    Anyone got a definite answer? Whats your experiences on driving on prov licenses over here :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Mick ah

This is a joke right?

An irish learners permit is not valid outside of the state. That includes driving in NI (not that you've to worry about that now that you're in Oz)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Don't even think about trying to use an Irish Learner Permit in Oz. Full Irish Licences are valid but have to be exchanged if they expire while you're there. At least that was my experience, things may have changed since.
    NOT the bit about the Learner Permit though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Jbpc wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    some say thet have been giving oz L, P or even full licenses in exchange and some say you must start from scratch. Some even say theyve not bothered exchanging their irish licenses and got away with it when stopped?!
    Anyone got a definite answer?

All are true.
    I'm just wondering whether im allowed to drive on this license over here.

Nope but that doesnt mean you may get lucky converting your irish provisional learner licence to P's or even a full licence.

Whats your experiences on driving on prov licenses over here :)

Got given P2's then were quickly cancelled when they realised their mistake two days later. Was then put onto L's (queenslands). When i moved to Victoria i was able to sit my test immediately due to the fact im over 25 and also advance to P2's because of my age.

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

A learner permit is issued to enable the permit holder to learn to drive and is not valid in Northern Ireland or in any other country outside of Ireland.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Your-learner-permit/what-it-is/
    Be accompanied at all times by a person who holds a full driving licence in the same category for a continuous period of two years

Jbpc wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I got my 2nd provisional/learners permit before I came over to Perth on a WHV. I'm just wondering whether im allowed to drive on this license over here. Ive done some searching on here but cant get a definite answer, some say thet have been giving oz L, P or even full licenses in exchange and some say you must start from scratch. Some even say theyve not bothered exchanging their irish licenses and got away with it when stopped?!
    Anyone got a definite answer? Whats your experiences on driving on prov licenses over here :)

Thanks

No no and no! You will have to start from scratch. That means a theory test, a practical test, 6 months of driving accompanied and then 6 months of driving under restricted conditions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jbpc

c0rk3r wrote: »

All are true.

Nope but that doesnt mean you may get lucky converting your irish provisional learner licence to P's or even a full licence.

Got given P2's then were quickly cancelled when they realised their mistake two days later. Was then put onto L's (queenslands). When i moved to Victoria i was able to sit my test immediately due to the fact im over 25 and also advance to P2's because of my age.

<snip>

stories like this was the reason i asked the question, I've heard a number of cases like this where people have been given p licences in exchange for the provisional. But as most on here are saying ill have to start from scratch, it looks like that's what ill have to do, thanks for the help folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

No no and no! You will have to start from scratch. That means a theory test, a practical test, 6 months of driving accompanied and then 6 months of driving under restricted conditions!

They don't have to start totally from scratch in Victoria as it is the only state where over 21s are exempt from amassing the 120 hours of supervised driving. In other words, with an Irish LP, they can hand it in, do the theory test for the learner permit and apply for the driving test straight away. They will need to bring their current LP with them - along with their old one to show that they have held an Irish LP more than six months previous (otherwise they'd have to sit on a Victorian LP for six months before being eligible for a test. I handed in my Irish LP in Melbourne in late February last year and by early April I had my test passed, driving on green Ps.

Advertisement