Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological Sciences with Chemistry UL

Options
  • 14-03-2013 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey guys, just wondering is anyone out there is doin the concurrent teaching course in UL ? Would like to know course content, maths difficulty (Im in ordinary maths) and hours a week and stuff like that :P would much appreciate it !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Hey guys, just wondering is anyone out there is doin the concurrent teaching course in UL ? Would like to know course content, maths difficulty (Im in ordinary maths) and hours a week and stuff like that :P would much appreciate it !!!
    Currently doing this course.
    In first year you are looking at about 25 hours a week between lectures, labs, and tutorials.
    In terms of maths, you must do it in first year, and if you avoid the physics stream you need not encounter it again. It is essentially higher level leaving cert and then a wee bit further. Mainly calculus, integration, vectors, matrices and so on; essentially the stuff you need for science anyway.

Maths is taught way better in university to how you'll be used to it, far more emphasis on understanding as opposed to operations. UL has a maths learning centre to help you out even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Doctor_Mossie

Hey Barry!

My names Andrew, I'm a 2nd year doing the concurrent teaching course. It's pretty good, so here we go;

About 25-30 hours a week. It's on the higher end of courses, but you're coming out with a science and an education degree. First year is spent pretty much bringing everyone up to scratch on HL Maths. About 4 hours a week, I think. Its easy to get lost if you don't concentrate on it, but I dont know anyone who failed it.
    You said chemistry in the title, but it's physics and chemistry for the first two years so you can teach JC's. Choices dont kick in till 3rd year.
    I'm out on Teaching Practise now. You get a lot of practice in. 1 wk in a primary school first year, 6 weeks in a secondary in 2nd and 10 weeks in 4th year.
    I've really enjoyed my course. I'm not the best at science, but I think it's handled pretty well. And you won't have Meehan for physics either next year, so ye might actually get it covered. Best of luck in your selection, Pm me if you want more info. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BarrysTeaBag

Sound lads !!

Advertisement