Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to sell older caravan?

• 14-03-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice here. There’s an older(probably 15yrs) 4 berth caravan at my mother’s house that she wants me to sell/move on. Was used extensively by my parents until my dad died 6 years ago. Had a leak in roof which wasn’t spotted for some time & was then covered but will need some repairs. Tyres are probably well perished at this stage, Is there any market for a fixer-upper. Might try Donedeal. It might suit someone building a camper as windows & seat cushions etc are very good. What’s my best option?.

T.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

You could advertise is as a camper donor 15 years old and water damaged is worthless as a caravan. If you put it on donedeal please don't sell it to the dodgy fraternity it will more than lightly be stripped and the shell dumped or burned somewhere for the council to deal with, as legitimate caravan scrapping is expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

where abouts is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Caravan is in Tralee, Co. Kerry

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

that's a shame as it's too far for me.would've done great for me camper van.

There must be a bit of money in aluminium. Put my ad on DD last night. Got my first phonecall after 3 minutes followed my 7 more different calls. All probably dodgy. One guy was going to travel down 160 miles today to buy it. Very difficult to spot a genuine buyer;). Haven't agreed to sell to anyone yet.

T.

• Advertisement

TigerTim wrote: »
    There must be a bit of money in aluminium. Put my ad on DD last night. Got my first phonecall after 3 minutes followed my 7 more different calls. All probably dodgy. One guy was going to travel down 160 miles today to buy it. Very difficult to spot a genuine buyer;). Haven't agreed to sell to anyone yet.

T.
    The aluminium is generally bonded to polystyrene - remedied in the same manner as telephone wire insulation 'low temperature incineration' :-( . The reason legitimate caravan scrappage is expensive is the materials are seperated by less dioxin producing manually intensive methods.

Once the flurry of dodgy calls (almost 50 in total) the interest died down & then the genuine calls started. Sold last Friday to a young lad who wanted something for going to festivals with his mates (Oxygen etc). He's a tradesman so will be able to fix it up. Should be a lot dryer than a tent !! Thanks for the advice.

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    Once the flurry of dodgy calls (almost 50 in total) the interest died down & then the genuine calls started. Sold last Friday to a young lad who wanted something for going to festivals with his mates (Oxygen etc). He's a tradesman so will be able to fix it up. Should be a lot dryer than a tent !! Thanks for the advice.

T.

Nice one, neighbours here have one they drag around to gigs, were 9 of them crammed into it last weekend :-p 900 quid saved for beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

paddyp wrote: »

Jeez that's shocking ... thanks for the link

• Advertisement
Advertisement