Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playground Insurance

Options
  • 14-03-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I live in an apartment complex in north Dublin and a few of us are looking into getting a playground for the children as there is nothing for them to do.

so I was on to our management company and I was told there is no way we could get a playground due to insurance even tho we have the space.

So any advice on what we can do to or who to call would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'd start with calling up an insurance broker and asking if such an insurance product is available in Ireland and what companies offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I live in an apartment complex in north Dublin and a few of us are looking into getting a playground for the children as there is nothing for them to do.

so I was on to our management company and I was told there is no way we could get a playground due to insurance even tho we have the space.

OMC's carry PL insurance for the entire grounds and generally speaking the local authority tend to cover playgrounds seperatley even though they may be within a managed estate. Talk to a few more people as what you've been told to date is not quite correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Talk to the Community, cultural and social section in your Council. They all have a Play Policy and will advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tbh honest insurance gets a lot of blame where it doesn't deserve it. It's an easy excuse just people use.
    I was involved in running kitesurfing competitions which is an extreme sport and competitors, public liability insurance was very reasonable. I was quite shocked so bottom line is give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Do talk to your council, planning permission may be needed. I know our playground was applied for as part of the planning for the development.

Things to bear in mind are cost and quality of equipment, maintenance, surface (this will have insurance implications), access and also potential anti-social behaviour.

We have a playground and to be honest I wish we didn't. The insurance isn't excessive but as we have bark we have to maintain it at a depth of 6 inches due to the height of a climbing frame and I never realised bark degraded so fast! The equipment needs to be repainted periodically and the area maintained for litter etc. We also have had issues from time to time with teens congregating on the equipment at night time but have worked with the Gardai to nip that in the bud (these teens were coming in from outside).

Last but not least, people facing the proposed playground area need to be prepared for the noise it can bring, from 6am sometimes in summer...right up to 9 or 10pm on bright evenings.

Playgrounds can be very positive but there are some negatives too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement