Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

GerB40 wrote: »
    Might have been a premonition ☺

Dream on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Kilkenny selector Michael Dempsey has admitted “positions are up for grabs” ahead of Saturday’s All-Ireland SHC final replay against Tipperary, but refused to be drawn on what part Henry Shefflin might play in the game.

The role of 11-time All Star Shefflin has emerged as something of a conundrum for Brian Cody and his management team.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2014/0924/647789-kilkenny-selector-refuses-to-be-drawn-on-shefflin/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Out of 71 Championship matches Cody has only named an unchanged team 7 times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Wow, now that is incredible..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

2 sleeps to match
    3 sleeps to celebrations in Thurles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

2 sleeps to match
    Maybe so or maybe the auld famous Tipp arrogance will prove to be yere downfall again.
    Will see soon enough ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

2 sleeps to match

3 sleeps until 300/400 people show up to welcome home the All Ireland runners up in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Brian Hogan injured and Joyce to start... is the latest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

GerB40 wrote: »
    Wow, now that is incredible..
    ...so is Cody ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

The team I think Cody will pick for the game.

E Murphy
    P Murphy; JJ Delaney; J Tyrell
    P Walsh; B Hogan; C Buckley
    M Fennelly; C Fogarty
    R Hogan; C Fennelly; E Larkin
    R Power; TJ Reid; Taggy Fogarty

I do not see W Walsh starting.
    I would prefer to see Shefflin start instead of Taggy, but Taggy was first sub the last day and that means his form is better than Shefflins in Cody's mind.
    I can see him giving B Hogan another chance to redeem himself, starting Joyce is probably a bit of a risk as not having played the last day, he might not know what to expect. But Cody will have a plan for their forwards which will make it easier on B Hogan.
    P Walsh in for Holden. Dont be surpirsed if Fogarty goes to wing back as he is probably a better man marker than P Walsh and all he has to do is stay beside Bubbles all day. P walsh has a great engine also, and gets up and down the pitch all day.
    R Hogan to wing forward on P Maher, hammer the hammer so to speak... Maher won't stay tight enough to mark Hogan...and Hogan won't let him clear the ball as easily.

Now a wild card move ala Eddie Brennan 2011 would be to put Taggy Fogarty on P Maher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

I would expect only 1/2 changes for Saturday and 3 positional switches.

All the Kilkenny forwards must work harder to win control over their direct opponents and if any player loses the ball, do not allow any Tipp player an easy clearance to pick their spot. Who am I to say that, they know that already, but at times in the drawn match they allowed too much freedom to Tipp to carry out their strategy of pulling the Kilkenny backs out of position and also Kilkenny were a bit casual with their shooting early on.

The Kilkenny backs, from the very start, must impose their will over the Tipp forwards and do not give them an easy ride by soft tackling and also be aware of the spare man.

The consensus is that Kilkenny under performed the last day and Tipp played well and got some unbelievable points from all angles with almost 100% success. I do not believe that Tipp can reproduce that performance and be as good again and Kilkenny have the experience to up their game a notch to bring them over the line.

To lose will not be easy, but if everybody works hard, a win is the reward, and we Kilkenny supporters will be delighted, especially for this group of players and Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mercury16 wrote: »
    The team I think Cody will pick for the game.

E Murphy
    P Murphy; JJ Delaney; J Tyrell
    P Walsh; B Hogan; C Buckley
    M Fennelly; C Fogarty
    R Hogan; C Fennelly; E Larkin
    R Power; TJ Reid; Taggy Fogarty

I do not see W Walsh starting.
    I would prefer to see Shefflin start instead of Taggy, but Taggy was first sub the last day and that means his form is better than Shefflins in Cody's mind.
    I can see him giving B Hogan another chance to redeem himself, starting Joyce is probably a bit of a risk as not having played the last day, he might not know what to expect. But Cody will have a plan for their forwards which will make it easier on B Hogan.
    P Walsh in for Holden. Dont be surpirsed if Fogarty goes to wing back as he is probably a better man marker than P Walsh and all he has to do is stay beside Bubbles all day. P walsh has a great engine also, and gets up and down the pitch all day.
    R Hogan to wing forward on P Maher, hammer the hammer so to speak... Maher won't stay tight enough to mark Hogan...and Hogan won't let him clear the ball as easily.

Now a wild card move ala Eddie Brennan 2011 would be to put Taggy Fogarty on P Maher.

I'd have no problem with that team really. I mean, Taggy didn't do much when he came in the last day, but there again neither did Henry, and either one will probably be an improvement on Walter, who had a nightmare, basically.

Taggy's performance in the first game is relevant to the Henry debate, since the argument has, in the main, been that Henry wasn't able to get up to the pace of the game. But neither was Taggy, and nobody could seriously be suggesting that HE hasn't the legs for it anymore. Coming in as a sub late in a game of that intensity it's nearly impossible to make an impact IMO. Any game that can be the case, but that day? I think Henry needs MORE time on the field to influence things, not less. This idea that him subbing off would be a huge boost to Tipp, are we really suggesting KK are so psychologically fragile that a roar from the crowd or whatever is going to be the difference between winning and losing?

If he's good enough, he should start, if he isn't good enough after, you take him off. Henry is special, but nobody is so special that that simple rule doesn't apply.

And yet, having said all that, I STILL wouldn't be definite about starting Henry, and I can see why people wouldn't. For all Dan's bellyaching on here about the supposedly unsettled team, there really are only a couple of positions up for grabs on it. My team:

Murphy
    Murphy JJ Tyrell
    P Walsh Brian Hogan Buckley
    Conor Fogarty Mick Fennelly
    TJ Reid Richie Hogan Eoin Larkin
    Richie Power Henry Colin Fennelly

The GK and full back line are nailed on, no need for debate.
    I'd be as happy to see Holden in as Walsh, but all in all Walsh has too much hurling to be left on the bench and I don't see him displacing anyone further up the field. Would like him to be a forward long term though.
    Midfield is tough to pick. Mick Fennelly clearly had a better day of it once he moved out there last day so I'd put him there again. I actually think if you had him and Richie you'd have by far the best midfield in the country, but I'm not sold on the forwards I've left on the bench enough to not want Hogan further up the field.
    I wouldn't really be able to stand over the positions I've put all the forwards in. Henry at centre could direct things better but I think at full there's at least a goal in the man, in the opening half. We need another monster day out of Richie, I'd start him centre and move him to the wing on occasion, then into the corners, I think he can cause consternation when different backs are expected to deal with him every few minutes. TJ on the wing is the one that I'd be most definite on, don't like him in the corner because he's such a fine playmaker. Larkin we kind of take for granted I suppose, can see him at corner as well. Richie Power will be dangerous close in. A few people have mentioned Fennelly's first touch being a bit poor but he's great for running at defences, ten or fifteen minutes of the kind of form he showed in the league will be enough to justify him. Probably swap Henry for Taggy at half time, or earlier if things aren't clicking for him. Remember, in all probability this will be our last chance to see him in black and amber, and I don't think he is in the mood to let that county down.

Hon the cats.

I've seen a leaked team, i'm sure most people here have at this stage. Not a bad team but with one major worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

@Realt dearg sec

Completely agree with last post, especially re Henry, if he has to come off there's no way it would have the same damaging psychological effect on the team that it had in 2010 as he is no longer the main man and most people wouldn't expect him to play the full game anyway.

I'd definitely start him at eleven or fourteen though as he can really influence things from a central position and for me would have no problem lasting the 70 mins in either of those positions.

The closer we get to the game the more I believe Shefflin has to start, I also don't believe the Tipp fans who claim to want Henry to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I've seen a leaked team, i'm sure most people here have at this stage. Not a bad team but with one major worry.

I haven't seen anything yet, do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

2 sleeps to match

Call yourself a true supporter?! Surely if you win you'll be up all night Sat celebrating?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ive heard John Power will replace Walter Walsh and that Hogan stays Center back.

Ive heard John Power will replace Walter Walsh and that Hogan stays Center back.

That would be an interesting move alright. Suppose we'll know for sure in a couple of hours anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'd be happy with John Power starting and Hogan staying centre-back. I would have liked to see Padraig Walsh starting.

I'd be happy with John Power starting and Hogan staying centre-back. I would have liked to see Padraig Walsh starting.

I expect he will, I didn't actually hear that part it was just on Hogan and who'd replace Walsh. As Realt Dearg said, we'll see whether it's true soon.

• Advertisement

I expect he will, I didn't actually hear that part it was just on Hogan and who'd replace Walsh. As Realt Dearg said, we'll see whether it's true soon.

How do you think the game will go Mountainlad?
    Not very confident here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Same here fairly excited about it all now. I wouldnt mind John Power starting tbh but I feel Henry is well able for 70 minutes and why waste him on the bench. His playmaking abilities are still second to none. If it doesnt work out well then it doesnt but its a risk worth taking. At the moment its hard to know where Padraic Maher will play too, will he be full back or out on the wing. Either way you would like to have someone fast and someone who can compete in the air with him.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    How do you think the game will go Mountainlad?
    Not very confident here.

Would have fancied Tipp before the drawn game and I think they left a few goals behind them on the day. Would say they only so are prone to attacking the ball too much in the backs which leaves space behind as seen for Powers goals.

While I do think that if Tipp create the same chances they wont come away with less than two goals, I still don't think there's any guarantees that Tipp will defend smarter and Colin Fennelly had a great chance early which he didn't take. Gleeson is also liable to do anything, Id have far more faith in Murphy, and his namesake Paul did a far better job on Bonner than Hogan.

I would be worried for ye about Hogan, from what I heard he has been struggling with his back and it wouldn't be like him to get beaten in the air the way he did v Bonner. Even when Lar moved out he seemed to make hay.

As was the case before the game, Tipps primary duty should be man mark Richie Hogan. He pulled Kilkenny clear second half but what was strange is it only seemed to happen after Michael Cahill had been introduce. Id just fancy Tipp, but Kilkenny could win just the same.

Would have fancied Tipp before the drawn game and I think they left a few goals behind them on the day. Would say they only so are prone to attacking the ball too much in the backs which leaves space behind as seen for Powers goals.

While I do think that if Tipp create the same chances they wont come away with less than two goals, I still don't think there's any guarantees that Tipp will defend smarter and Colin Fennelly had a great chance early which he didn't take. Gleeson is also liable to do anything, Id have far more faith in Murphy, and his namesake Paul did a far better job on Bonner than Hogan.

I would be worried for ye about Hogan, from what I heard he has been struggling with his back and it wouldn't be like him to get beaten in the air the way he did v Bonner. Even when Lar moved out he seemed to make hay.

As was the case before the game, Tipps primary duty should be man mark Richie Hogan. He pulled Kilkenny clear second half but what was strange is it only seemed to happen after Michael Cahill had been introduce. Id just fancy Tipp, but Kilkenny could win just the same.
    Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about it myself, we can't allow the Tipp forwards to create so much space and so many goal chances on Saturday, Hogan was struggling badly with a back injury before the drawn game and still hasn't fully recovered by all accounts.

Lots of rumour about changes to the Kilkenny team, even heard C Fogarty was playing centre back in training. I believe the winning of this game is all down to the team Cody picks.

P Walsh for Holden.
    Joyce for B Hogan
    J Power for W Walsh

I wouldn't be happy with John Power starting...he's too young and too quiet at this stage...his brother is a quiet assassin,and John has talent, but lacks the drive that he will only get with age...

W Walsh won't start...i'd be very very surprised if he does....

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Kilkenny Team to play Tipperary in All Ireland Final Replay

1 Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    2 Paul Murphy Danesfort
    3 J J Delaney Fenians
    4 Jackie Tyrrell James Stephens
    5 Padraig Walsh Tullaroan
    6 Kieran Joyce Rower Inistioge
    7 Killian Buckley Dicksboro
    8 Richie Hogan Danesfort
    9 Conor Fogarty Erins Own
    10 Michael Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    11 Colin Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    12 Eoin Larkin James Stephens
    13 Richie Power Carrickshock
    14 T J Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks
    15 John Power Carrickshock

16 David Herity Dunnamaggin
    17 Brian Hogan O'Loughlin Gaels
    18 Joey Holden Ballyahale Shamrocks
    19 Brian Kennedy St Lachtains
    20 Lester Ryan(Clara) Clara
    21 Tommy Walsh Tullaroan
    22 Henry Shefflin Ballyahale Shamrocks
    23 Aidan Fogarty Emeralds
    24 Walter Walsh Tullogher Rosbercon
    26 Mark Kelly O'Loughlin Gaels
    26 Jonjo Farrell Thomastown

P Walsh for Holden.
    Joyce for B Hogan
    J Power for W Walsh

Just got team from supporters club and this is spot on. disappointed no Henry

• Advertisement

blackwave wrote: »
    Kilkenny Team to play Tipperary in All Ireland Final Replay

1 Eoin Murphy Glenmore
    2 Paul Murphy Danesfort
    3 J J Delaney Fenians
    4 Jackie Tyrrell James Stephens
    5 Padraig Walsh Tullaroan
    6 Kieran Joyce Rower Inistioge
    7 Killian Buckley Dicksboro
    8 Richie Hogan Danesfort
    9 Conor Fogarty Erins Own
    10 Michael Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    11 Colin Fennelly Ballyhale Shamrocks
    12 Eoin Larkin James Stephens
    13 Richie Power Carrickshock
    14 T J Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks
    15 John Power Carrickshock

16 David Herity Dunnamaggin
    17 Brian Hogan O'Loughlin Gaels
    18 Joey Holden Ballyahale Shamrocks
    19 Brian Kennedy St Lachtains
    20 Lester Ryan(Clara) Clara
    21 Tommy Walsh Tullaroan
    22 Henry Shefflin Ballyahale Shamrocks
    23 Aidan Fogarty Emeralds
    24 Walter Walsh Tullogher Rosbercon
    26 Mark Kelly O'Loughlin Gaels
    26 Jonjo Farrell Thomastown

There's always the curve ball in the Cody teams, looks like John Power is that this time. Interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Can only presume JP has been playing out of his skin in training

I presume Joyce is there on merit, but I dunno if I'm too gone on the idea. Not sure why, just think Brian Hogan has way more hurling and neither of them have much pace. But there again Hogan was dragged all over the place last day and it opened the centre up for the midfield to cause havoc running at us.

Padraig Walsh I had put in my team, happy with that. John Power? It has me stumped. Hopefully it'll have E O'S stumped too. Haven't seen him since the Dublin league game (has he played since? I was abroad for a couple of matches in championship), but he was excellent then before going off injured.

Certainly worth a lash, if he's not working out, no shortage of weapons on the bench. Same with Joyce although mistakes would be more costly there obviously. Still, I'm happy enough with that. Think we'll win, by three points.

I presume Joyce is there on merit, but I dunno if I'm too gone on the idea. Not sure why, just think Brian Hogan has way more hurling and neither of them have much pace. But there again Hogan was dragged all over the place last day and it opened the centre up for the midfield to cause havoc running at us.

Padraig Walsh I had put in my team, happy with that. John Power? It has me stumped. Hopefully it'll have E O'S stumped too. Haven't seen him since the Dublin league game (has he played since? I was abroad for a couple of matches in championship), but he was excellent then before going off injured.

Certainly worth a lash, if he's not working out, no shortage of weapons on the bench. Same with Joyce although mistakes would be more costly there obviously. Still, I'm happy enough with that. Think we'll win, by three points.

Started the Leinster final scored cracking point over his shoulder from underneath the Cusack stand in the first half... and that was about it! Got taken off in the 2nd half. Obviously feels Tipp full back line are susceptible in the air so going with plenty of height with the two Powers and TJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Big ask for joyce at centre back, I'm sure Tipperary will try to expose us there, we could possibly go man to man on the half back line tho, joyce on ryan, buckley on lar, walsh on bubbles

Yeah a forward line of

6'3; 6'2; 6'
    6'; 6'2; 6'2

no shortage of height there....

• Advertisement

Started the Leinster final scored cracking point over his shoulder from underneath the Cusack stand in the first half... and that was about it! Got taken off in the 2nd half. Obviously feels Tipp full back line are susceptible in the air so going with plenty of height with the two Powers and TJ.

Oh yeah, I watched that on the worst firstrow feed India had to offer. He must be vastly improved. Anyway if it keeps them guessing, how bad, could be like Walter in 2012. Few quid on him MOTM might be worthwhile.

It makes it easier to go man for man alright...all can play in the full back or centre back line or on the wing.

Murphy vs Bonnar
    JJ vs Callinan
    Tyrell vs Lar
    Walsh vs Bubbles
    Joyce vs Ryan
    Buckley vs McGrath

Tyrell and Buckley can swap if needs be...

Does anyone else think John Power is a huge risk? He's 48 years old and hasn't even played for Callan in at least 7 years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Does anyone else think John Power is a huge risk? He's 48 years old and hasn't even played for Callan in at least 7 years.

He's never let KK down and he won't start now. No barbed wire anymore either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Tipp will field an unchanged team .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Johns not available, 5pm is a bad time when you have cows to milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

mercury16 wrote: »
    It makes it easier to go man for man alright...all can play in the full back or centre back line or on the wing.

Murphy vs Bonnar
    JJ vs Callinan
    Tyrell vs Lar
    Walsh vs Bubbles
    Joyce vs Ryan
    Buckley vs McGrath

Tyrell and Buckley can swap if needs be...

Man for man is crazy. Have our backs ran into the ground by 60 min. Hold our positions especially full back and centre back.

I've said this before and still think Cody took too long to figure out Jackie wasn't going to work out at centre back and here we are still looking for one in September.

Baffled at the J Power selection, I don't care how well he's going in training, nothing against the chap but I just think Henry offers far more in terms of leadership, a bit of guile and just as good under the high ball if not better, Power not much faster either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Good changes.

Hogan's been flagging for a while and can have no complaints. Holden was poor the last day and prior to that had been average all year. The Power selection is the surprise one, but he certainly can't offer any less than Walter did the last day unless he gets lost making his way from the dressing room to the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Hahaha had a good laugh at this

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Johns not available, 5pm is a bad time when you have cows to milk.

John has no doors to his cowshed - he just goes through the walls and drags in the cows behind him.

John has no doors to his cowshed - he just goes through the walls and drags in the cows behind him.

I didn't read it myself, but I remember hearing that when the KK People did the player profiles for an All Ireland one year, his read:
    Name: John Power
    Position: Forward
    Hobbies: Farming, hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Lads Hogan wasn't dropped on form from what I hear he has a back problem. We are struggling for a centre back IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

lads, ffs, ye're starting to sound like 'Up For The Match' :pac:

'Hon KK !!

PaulKK wrote: »
    Lads Hogan wasn't dropped on form from what I hear he has a back problem. We are struggling for a centre back IMO.

Yes, also heard that about Hogan. Was obvious from the Cork game last year that we probably needed a new centre back and can't understand why Paul Murphy was never tried out there in the league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement