Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Good changes.

Hogan's been flagging for a while and can have no complaints. Holden was poor the last day and prior to that had been average all year. The Power selection is the surprise one, but he certainly can't offer any less than Walter did the last day unless he gets lost making his way from the dressing room to the pitch.

Like Lar did a few years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Yes, also heard that about Hogan. Was obvious from the Cork game last year that we probably needed a new centre back and can't understand why Paul Murphy was never tried out there in the league.

Id reckon he will be tried there come next year and Brian Kennedy will be given another chance to make the Corner Back spot his own

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Id reckon he will be tried there come next year and Brian Kennedy will be given another chance to make the Corner Back spot his own

Would imagine so, but not much good for Sunday! Also wouldn't write off Kennedy, it's a big step up from Intermediate club to Senior inter-county. Can take a while to adapt to the pace and physicality, he's still only 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Would imagine so, but not much good for Sunday! Also wouldn't write off Kennedy, it's a big step up from Intermediate club to Senior inter-county. Can take a while to adapt to the pace and physicality, he's still only 22.

Kennedy's an excellent hurler, was brilliant throughout the league and will be a Kilkenny player for years to come. Didn't get a fair crack in the championship for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 stonemanic

Happy with John Power and Padraig Walsh. Brian Hogan not playing is a surpise to me. thought he was decent the last day. Doesnt get the recognition he deserves in my opinion and we never seem as secure without him at 6. i'm officially worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

good selection save that, if Hogan is fit, then it is a monumental blunder not to start him. He was not all over the place the last day. He played well and spent his time roaming to put out fires all over the place. I doubt that Joyce is the commanding figure that a CH needs to be. Hogan just I what is needed. I am worried now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I'm assuming Brian Hogan hasn't recovered fully from whatever injury he had in the lead up to the drawn match. In fact he may have aggravated it and just couldn't afford to lose any more training time. Joyce is an able deputy and will be well up for it. Padraig. Walsh nearly scraped in for the drawn match and so it's no great surprise that he made it this time. Joey Holden will get there in time. Plenty of exposure in the league will bring him on. He may be even called on next Sat and will be ok. John Power has what it takes and is capable of a big game. Fingers crossed that he performs to his optimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

On the changes Brian Hogan had a fitness test the Saturday before the last match and although he passed he's back issue hasn't completely gone away. Would you see B Hogan of old out caught so easily by Bonner Maher in the first half? Joyce us supreme in the air in fairness to him he is definitely not faster or more mobile than Hogan but is definitely no worse. A fit Joyce over a suspect Hogan any day. Add to that the word coming out is he's being eating lads in training.

P Walsh unlucky not to get a go the last day. I would love to see himself and C Fogarty swap but this might be a long shot. Either way Padraig and Buckley will keep closer tabs on Mc Grath and Bubbles when they're in their area's. Joyce hold the centre and as Noel Hickey said this evening on KCLR they have let their man know their there. Get stuck in hard and early and stop admiring them. Padraig could do a great job at midfield with Fogarty sowing it into Bubbles. Apparently Padraig skinned Larks in training a few nights.

J Power is a great man under a high ball he has the speed, height and strength to beat the Tipp corner boys. John is as strong as an ox and give him a whiff of goal and he'll bury it and he could beat TJ for the fastest shot he's shots are unreal. I would be concerned about his lack of game time up to now but he is more than capable of doing it. If any of the three fail we have a multitude of replacements to come in and do the job.

The biggest factor will be the use of the bench we need to use it earlier with 25 to 20 mins left and use all 5 options freshen it up if we don't we could struggle.

Far more confident than this afternoon.

On the changes Brian Hogan had a fitness test the Saturday before the last match and although he passed he's back issue hasn't completely gone away. Would you see B Hogan of old out caught so easily by Bonner Maher in the first half? Joyce us supreme in the air in fairness to him he is definitely not faster or more mobile than Hogan but is definitely no worse. A fit Joyce over a suspect Hogan any day. Add to that the word coming out is he's being eating lads in training.

P Walsh unlucky not to get a go the last day. I would love to see himself and C Fogarty swap but this might be a long shot. Either way Padraig and Buckley will keep closer tabs on Mc Grath and Bubbles when they're in their area's. Joyce hold the centre and as Noel Hickey said this evening on KCLR they have let their man know their there. Get stuck in hard and early and stop admiring them. Padraig could do a great job at midfield with Fogarty sowing it into Bubbles. Apparently Padraig skinned Larks in training a few nights.

J Power is a great man under a high ball he has the speed, height and strength to beat the Tipp corner boys. John is as strong as an ox and give him a whiff of goal and he'll bury it and he could beat TJ for the fastest shot he's shots are unreal. I would be concerned about his lack of game time up to now but he is more than capable of doing it. If any of the three fail we have a multitude of replacements to come in and do the job.

The biggest factor will be the use of the bench we need to use it earlier with 25 to 20 mins left and use all 5 options freshen it up if we don't we could struggle.

Youve said it all there in a nutshell. Theres no use having a quality bench when its not going to be used to the max. Id like to see Henry, Tommy, Taggy, Lester and possibly Walter too. Those are serious replacements to bring on and the only fault I would have about Brian Cody all year is that he has failed to take advantage of this quality subs bench enough. Im especially disappointed at how he keeps on refusing to use Tommy Walsh who most certainly has plenty left in the tank to make an impact. I thought he was fantastic when he came on against Galway in the Drawn game and coming on as a sub in such a high intensity game would suit Tommy down to the ground, he would relish the challenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Would you see B Hogan of old out caught so easily by Bonner Maher in the first half?

A fit Joyce over a suspect Hogan any day. Add to that the word coming out is he's being eating lads in training.

Excellent points above. Hogan wasn't right in that first half when he wasn't catching balls - his greatest asset.

No matter who the player is, if he's not fit you're better off with a fit replacement. A players form will be hampered by an injury or lack of fitness. A fit Joyce is a far better option than an unfit/injured Hogan. If Joyce is back to his 2012 form, he'll do just fine.

Didn't hold Michael Kavanagh back...

Tipp will field an unchanged team .

Tumbleweed...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭droppingball

A half back line going forward of Padraig Walsh, Paul Murphy and Buckley would be fairly tidy, we would need Kennedy, a full back and another corner back to establish themselves however.

If Hogan is injured I would have been very worried if we had Holden and Joyce beside each other, I don't like the idea of Joyce on Bonner or Lar but the one thing is he is very good in the air. Surely Mick Fennelly and Richie Hogan will swap or interchange at the very least. I think we should target Padraic Maher, I think he is there for the taking, unreal going forward but suspect when it comes to marking and struggles on the back foot.

Surely Mick Fennelly and Richie Hogan will swap or interchange at the very least. I think we should target Padraic Maher, I think he is there for the taking, unreal going forward but suspect when it comes to marking and struggles on the back foot.

I have been an advocate for keeping Hogan/Fogarty at midfield but on the evidence of the last day and the league final, I'd have to concede that Richie's best position (against Tipp anyway) is CF. The only issue is Fennelly. He didn't look fit to me the last day. Hopefully the three weeks have brought him on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

Great post.
    With the changes and If our lads improve even 5% on the last day,we will be bringing Liam home.No doubt about it.

Cody and the lads identified what went wrong and have taken the correct steps to rectify them,from what I can see.
    No disrespect to Tipp,but a fully fit,focused and hungry Kilkenny team will always win no matter who the opposition is.
    Roll on 5pm Saturday and no.35

And...HON D CATS!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Tipp v Kilkenny championship matches
    Played 25
    Tipp 13
    Kilkenny 11
    Drawn 1

Will Tipp stretch further in front or will Kilkenny narrow the gap?

Great post.

No disrespect to Tipp,but a fully fit,focused and hungry Kilkenny team will always win no matter who the opposition is.
    Roll on 5pm Saturday and no.35

And...HON D CATS!!!!!!!!!

So you reckon Kilkenny weren't focused or hungry the last day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

So you reckon Kilkenny weren't focused or hungry the last day?

U forgot to add "fit" in there,horse.And no,Brian Hogan wasn't.
    Hence his display.
    Betcha Joyce won't be letting anyone get the better of him in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Played 25
    Tipp 13
    Kilkenny 11
    Drawn 1

Whats the record this century?

Kilkenny 6
    Tipp 1
    Draw 1

Played 25
    Tipp 13
    Kilkenny 11
    Drawn 1

Tipp v Kilkenny All Irelands

Tipp 26
    Kilkenny 34

Will Kilkenny stretch further in front or will Tipp narrow the gap?

• Advertisement

U forgot to add "fit" in there,horse.And no,Brian Hogan wasn't.
    Hence his display.
    Betcha Joyce won't be letting anyone get the better of him in the air.

Then thats twice Cody has slipped up sending out unfit players in an all ireland final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Then thats twice Cody has slipped up sending out unfit players in an all ireland final!

Yeah your right. What a crap manager! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

deadybai wrote: »
    Yeah your right. What a crap manager! :pac:

Yeah, Should've got rid of him after '99! :D

He never claims to be infallible but he hasn't done too badly using his method!

Btw, you typify Tipp with regards to the the one in a row syndrome - one sentence at a time! Do you ever try changing the batteries down there!

Grats wrote: »

Btw, you typify Tipp with regards to the the one in a row syndrome - one sentence at a time! Do you ever try changing the batteries down there!

Any more than one or 2 lines is waffling, no need for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You might go one better next time, get down to zero

Yeh one or two lines of waffling from you is probably enough at a time

Anyway, I'm heading soon. Best of luck to both teams tomorrow, and best of luck to the referee as well.

Anyway, I'm heading soon. Best of luck to both teams tomorrow, and best of luck to the referee as well.

You dont really mean that though do you

Ye'll hardly get as good tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

If the two Maher's are not fully fit, will they be risked? Of course they will. Dan, Would you have any information on that rumour?

A lot of players carry niggling injuries, and the manager will take a chance and hope they will run them off. As I said to someone today, if there is a doubt about a player, the doubt disappears after a tackle or two, and then we know for certain.

This time I think Brian is going into the game with a fully fit and focused team, and will be having Tipperary do the worrying.

If the two Maher's are not fully fit, will they be risked? Of course they will. Dan, Would you have any information on that rumour?

A lot of players carry niggling injuries, and the manager will take a chance and hope they will run them off. As I said to someone today, if there is a doubt about a player, the doubt disappears after a tackle or two, and then we know for certain.

This time I think Brian is going into the game with a fully fit and focused team, and will be having Tipperary do the worrying.

Yeah, very good point. Amusing how Tipp sources declare to have all the inside info on the Kilkenny camp and rush to publicise it. A handy decoy from their own injury worries. Interesting to hear Liam Sheedy on radio this morning raving about the movement in the Tipp forward lines and no mention of the backs! I'm sure he remembers that they conceded 3.22!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not confident about this game at all, I'd have very little confidence about 2 of the 3 changes and I've no faith that the bench will be used in time to change things if needed.

I hope I'm wrong obviously but we were very lucky to get over Limerick and to get the draw as we left it too late to make changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

adrian522 wrote: »
    Not confident about this game at all, I'd have very little confidence about 2 of the 3 changes and I've no faith that the bench will be used in time to change things if needed.

I hope I'm wrong obviously but we were very lucky to get over Limerick and to get the draw as we left it too late to make changes.

A bit of jitters is no harm but I wouldn't be as worried as all that. One of the two changes you're unsure about was enforced by injury so not much to be done I suppose. It's really just a question of whether John Power can make a difference. I just think he can't be less effective than Wally was the last day. I think we'll be there or thereabouts.

adrian522 wrote: »

Joyce has been involved with the senior panel for a while now and isn't new to the big day. He was a tad unlucky to lose his place to an excellent hurler in Buckley. He was also away on club duty during our league campaign. An able deputy for Brian Hogan who wasn't 100% the last day and god knows he would need to be tomorrow. John Power has more hurling in him than either Wally or M Kelly and will bring a certain cockiness to the match.

I expect swift action from the sideline this time. Remember it was Tipp who had to come back to draw the game! Keep the faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Joyce has been involved with the senior panel for a while now and isn't new to the big day. He was a tad unlucky to lose his place to an excellent hurler in Buckley. He was also away on club duty during our league campaign. An able deputy for Brian Hogan who wasn't 100% the last day and god knows he would need to be tomorrow. John Power has more hurling in him than either Wally or M Kelly and will bring a certain cockiness to the match.

I expect swift action from the sideline this time. Remember it was Tipp who had to come back to draw the game! Keep the faith.

Hope you're right Grats, I like Joyce but worried that he hasn't played at this level for a while, still better to have Joyce fully fit for sure. Rumours of Fogarty playing CB with joyce at 5 and P walsh in midfield.

Hope John Power has a stormer but I'd feel very confident if Shefflin was playing, never failed to perform for us on the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Played 25
    Tipp 13
    Kilkenny 11
    Drawn 1

Ha ha Dan have you been watching the history channel again!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nimrod_himself

I'm heading up tomorrow. Usually I stay with a mate for games in croker, but I have to come home tomorrow evening. What time is the red cow Luas likely to be full tomorrow? Is the saggart Luas a good alternative? Is there much parking there? Thanks for any advice.

I reckon if Bonnar is fully fit tipp will win. I also hear that Lar is flying in training....

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Hope you're right Grats, I like Joyce but worried that he hasn't played at this level for a while, still better to have Joyce fully fit for sure. Rumours of Fogarty playing CB with joyce at 5 and P walsh in midfield.

Hope John Power has a stormer but I'd feel very confident if Shefflin was playing, never failed to perform for us on the big day.

I guess anything is possible. Henry may even start!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I guess anything is possible. Henry may even start!

Has Cody ever named a dummy selection before? Find it hard to see him playing given he only trusted him to play 5 minutes the last day.

I seem to recall something like a dummy selection for the replay against Galway not too many months ago!

I also hear that Lar is flying in training....

Uh oh. I think I'll have to lie down in a darkened room after reading that...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 nimrod_himself

citykat wrote: »
    Uh oh. I think I'll have to lie down in a darkened room after reading that...

Ha. Well I guess we we will know soon. I'm still not sure exactly how Kilkenny will line out with the changes that have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I seem to recall something like a dummy selection for the replay against Galway not too many months ago!

He didn't name a dummy team in fact he named no team until 15mins before throw in. There was a team for the program as there has to be but he didn't name the team the Thursday night before hand. I don't ever remember Cody naming a team and not starting it unless for injuries that forced him to change but I can't think of any examples of that either no doubt there is one. The 15 selected will start I would be very confident in that whether they start were named is a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

I'm heading up tomorrow. Usually I stay with a mate for games in croker, but I have to come home tomorrow evening. What time is the red cow Luas likely to be full tomorrow? Is the saggart Luas a good alternative? Is there much parking there? Thanks for any advice.

I reckon if Bonnar is fully fit tipp will win. I also hear that Lar is flying in training....

Bonnar was fully fit last day. Lar was flying the last day, tell us something we don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Good article by John Gardiner in the Journal today, even if he is going for Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fairplay Kilkenny thoroughly deserved. Hard to believe they only won by 3 given how dominant they were. Colin Fennelly's second half performance made a big difference but I think Kilkenny though dominating first half and behind learned and changed what needed to be changed in the form of delivery to the forwards.

Tipp on the other hand didn't. Were poor through out to be honest, even basic things like how high Paudie Maher was lifting the ball off the ground was very poor and he wasn't the only one.

Odd game. Anyway, better team won. Enjoy this (graciously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

Ye're all obviously in croker lads or busy out celebrating. Im a tipp man hurting right now but I come here without any complainants. Congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

Delighted for Kieran Joyce, seemed to be quite a few doubters on this thread about him. I cant remember him having a bad championship game for Kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Kkboy wrote: »
    Delighted for Kieran Joyce, seemed to be quite a few doubters on this thread about him. I cant remember him having a bad championship game for Kilkenny

Indeed, not the most knowledgeable thread I've come across.

Well done to KK today, certainly the better team. No where near as good a match as the last day, at least from a neutral pov.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement