Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

merryberry wrote: »
    Ye're all obviously in croker lads or busy out celebrating. Im a tipp man hurting right now but I come here without any complainants. Congratulations.

Fair dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Jesus what a team, Joyce walsh and Power, not bad calls Brian? I said John Power and Hickey called for more timber from the backs and how they got it, the Fennellys stood up and players who didn't play well the last day shone and that's the difference, not enough of the Tipp lads did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

You know what? I really love being from Kilkenny, and days like today never get old.

Have to say, it was some performance. In truth the goal in the first half kept Tipp in it as we were definitely hurling better, while their second goal really just put a gloss on the score. Overall, we fully deserved the game, and were the better side.

Murphy was very good in goal, a few dodgy puckouts apart.

In defense, we dominated, especially in the second half. Paul Murphy and Jackie controlled the corners, while JJ (the two goals apart, neither his fault) had Callanan in his pocket. Padraig Walsh was brilliant, Buckley was immense, Joyce imperious. All 6 were brilliant in the air, all 6 definitely won their battles. I thought that Murphy and Jackie looked like they were playing from the front which stopped the inside forwards getting ball.

In midfield, Fogarty and Fennelly won the battle hands down. Fogarty had a poor enough first half, but absolutely thundered into the second half and gave massive cover to Joyce. Fennelly was brilliant, some great scores and brilliant delivery. Both won some amount of dirty ball.

The difference between the first day and the last day though was the forwards and their workrate. I have to say the delivery from the Tipp backs and midfield was nowhere near what it was the last day, mostly because they were under so much pressure they couldn't pick their passes at all. Reid, Colin Fennelly, Larkin all worked their socks off, while both Power's with their aerial ability and speed meant that Tipp needed to hold someone extra back to prevent them breaking through, which allowed Larkin to roam. Thought Richie Hogan looked injured, he started well but faded, and was rightly taken off.

Henry didn't do much when he came on, but he took marking. Actually thought O'Shea helped us with bringing on O'Mahony, the only player slower then Shefflin. Lester was a very good sub in my opinion, he absolutely clattered into the Tipp lads for the last few minutes and broke a lot of ball n our favour.

Brilliant from the lads, a truly well deserved victory. It wasn't one of the better games between Kilkenny and Tipp, but it was still a great game, some effort put in by both sides. Still I'll take any type of game where we end up with Liam.

I've loved the last few years, but what makes it better this year is that its basically a whole new Kilkenny side that won, and how young the squad actually is, especially as all we've been hearing the last 2/3 seasons is how old Kilkenny are. The ages at the moment of the lads who saw action this year and that are likely to make up the side over the next few years are:

Lester Ryan-26, Cillian Buckley-22, Colin Fennelly-25, Conor Fogarty-24, Richie Hogan-26, Joey Holden-24,
    Kieran Joyce-27, Mark Kelly-26, Brian Kennedy-22, Eoin Murphy-24, Paul Murphy-25, John Power-22
    Richie Power-28, TJ Reid-26, Padraig Walsh-22, Walter Walsh-23

That is a young squad. Not quite what was before them (you can't replace that generation, they were a once in a lifetime side), but a panel that can certainly challenge for trophies (no reason why they can't, they've won three trophies this year). Lets not forget the minors won this year too.

Also, I have to say commiserations to Tipp, they really did themselves justice this year after last year. Thought that while they were out-hurled, they never gave up and even if the goals went against the run of play, they still went and got them even when things were going against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Congrats from a Waterford supporter. What a team. The work rate was something like I'd never seen before. People saying jj was past it have serious egg on their faces after that performance,he was immense. For me Michael Fennelly was motm he was truely inspirational,himself and Fogarty absolutely won the midfield battle hands down. But on days like this you could pick out 5-6 that were exceptional,the bottom line is it was a fantastic performance from a great team and to say there's life in the old dog yet is an understatement! The benchmark is being raised every year and its up to every other county to literally s**t or get off the pot and try to match ye. Easier said than done though! Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

randd1 wrote: »
    You know what? I really love being from Kilkenny, and days like today never get old.

Have to say, it was some performance. In truth the goal in the first half kept Tipp in it as we were definitely hurling better, while their second goal really just put a gloss on the score. Overall, we fully deserved the game, and were the better side.

Murphy was very good in goal, a few dodgy puckouts apart.

In defense, we dominated, especially in the second half. Paul Murphy and Jackie controlled the corners, while JJ (the two goals apart, neither his fault) had Callanan in his pocket. Padraig Walsh was brilliant, Buckley was immense, Joyce imperious. All 6 were brilliant in the air, all 6 definitely won their battles. I thought that Murphy and Jackie looked like they were playing from the front which stopped the inside forwards getting ball.

In midfield, Fogarty and Fennelly won the battle hands down. Fogarty had a poor enough first half, but absolutely thundered into the second half and gave massive cover to Joyce. Fennelly was brilliant, some great scores and brilliant delivery. Both won some amount of dirty ball.

The difference between the first day and the last day though was the forwards and their workrate. I have to say the delivery from the Tipp backs and midfield was nowhere near what it was the last day, mostly because they were under so much pressure they couldn't pick their passes at all. Reid, Colin Fennelly, Larkin all worked their socks off, while both Power's with their aerial ability and speed meant that Tipp needed to hold someone extra back to prevent them breaking through, which allowed Larkin to roam. Thought Richie Hogan looked injured, he started well but faded, and was rightly taken off.

Henry didn't do much when he came on, but he took marking. Actually thought O'Shea helped us with bringing on O'Mahony, the only player slower then Shefflin. Lester was a very good sub in my opinion, he absolutely clattered into the Tipp lads for the last few minutes and broke a lot of ball n our favour.

Brilliant from the lads, a truly well deserved victory. It wasn't one of the better games between Kilkenny and Tipp, but it was still a great game, some effort put in by both sides. Still I'll take any type of game where we end up with Liam.

I've loved the last few years, but what makes it better this year is that its basically a whole new Kilkenny side that won, and how young the squad actually is, especially as all we've been hearing the last 2/3 seasons is how old Kilkenny are. The ages at the moment of the lads who saw action this year and that are likely to make up the side over the next few years are:

Lester Ryan-26, Cillian Buckley-22, Colin Fennelly-25, Conor Fogarty-24, Richie Hogan-26, Joey Holden-24,
    Kieran Joyce-27, Mark Kelly-26, Brian Kennedy-22, Eoin Murphy-24, Paul Murphy-25, John Power-22
    Richie Power-28, TJ Reid-26, Padraig Walsh-22, Walter Walsh-23

That is a young squad. Not quite what was before them (you can't replace that generation, they were a once in a lifetime side), but a panel that can certainly challenge for trophies (no reason why they can't, they've won three trophies this year). Lets not forget the minors won this year too.

Also, I have to say commiserations to Tipp, they really did themselves justice this year after last year. Thought that while they were out-hurled, they never gave up and even if the goals went against the run of play, they still went and got them even when things were going against them.

That sums it all up well said, who would have thought a couple of years ago that we could win an all ireland without Michael Rice,Henry, Tommy, Brian Hogan, Taggy, Eddie Brennan Noel Hickey, Tennyson,not to mention having also lost Gorta, Cha, Pj Ryan, Dalton, Lyng, Ryall and Kavanagh over the last five years. That's fifteen of the greatest players that have played the game and to lose them while winning another three All Ireland's in the process is phenomenal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

I put this up on the match thread, but no harm to have it here either I think...

Enjoyed Cody's interview post-match...

"There's no end to their spirit. Because people spoke a bit about our spirit during the week... they got it very,very wrong because there's no end to it...

"Well, you see, gambles don't come into it because they're not gambles - they're decisions that you take... people question all sorts of things that we do and don't do, and we just carry on and do what we want to do ourselves...

"People have this obsession about settled teams, as if you're not supposed to do things. We can do what we want to do because we're in charge of the team..."

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Great feeling to wake up with Kilkenny all ireland champions again, outstanding performances throughout the team, half back line were outstanding. Management got it spot on with team and all the big calls.

We weren't creating space in first half and second half larkin wondered out the field and we created loads of space inside, it worked beautifully. So proud to be a kilkenny man, Hon the cats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

As a Tipp man,I'm obviously sickened,but congrats anyways,we played poorly in the second half.For Tipp to win Bonnar needed to be on top of his game.He was marked out of it,therefore KK got the upper hand.Really believed Tipp would be far stronger in the second half,but unfortunatley,we came out very flat,,but no complaints,KK were much better in the second half,well done Henry,top player,top man,,

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I am a proud, happy and hungover Kilkennyman living in Donegal. Hooking and blocking are the ugly arts of the game, and Kk won another, wonderful All Ireland yesterday being gloriously ugly. I love being ugly.

The Donegal County Board, once again, displayed their respect for hurling yesterday. They insisted that the senior championship final (Burt v McCools) be played at 3.00, insuring that those few hurling lovers in the county be as inconvenienced as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Congratulations to Kilkenny. Their absolute determination and concentration is a credit to all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Congratulations to Kilkenny. Their absolute determination and concentration is a credit to all concerned.

Hard luck Dan You really need to beat us the first day

Does the head hurt as much as the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

dzer2 wrote: »
    Hard luck Dan You really need to beat us the first day

Does the head hurt as much as the heart.

Congratulations to Brian and Henry on their 10th success together. This would not have been achievable without a wonderful bunch of players over the last 17 years or so - Henry, Tommy, JJ, Brian (H) Taggy, still involved.

Yesterday, when Henry came on, he was greeted by booing from some of the Tipperary fans, an indication of respect and fear that they hold for him - it appeared to spook Tipperary as it meant that it took up a man to concentrate fully on staying with him at costs. Henry appeared to be drawing his man to open space for the other forwards, and it worked perfectly.

Joyce was the ideal man on Bonner Maher, as he imposed his stronger physicality over him, and besides, as Maher is not a speed merchant, but relies on bull-dosing his way through, there was no way he was going to run through Joyce.

All the Kilkenny players were determined to this time ensure that Tipperary did not get their scores as easily as the drawn match and every player, from goalie out to the corner forward tackled with gusto and this cut out any accurate ball to a Tipperary player.

By his own standards, Richie Hogan was not as prominent as other days, but he still got two crucial points in the first half, which were brilliantly taken. It looked like he was not 100% fit, and the injury he picked up the last day may have restricted him a bit.

Most of the media got things wrong by insisting on the thinking that Kilkenny were an old team, the legs were gone, bla, bla, but failed to see that apart from Delaney and Tyrell, it was a comparatively young and fresh team that started - Brian Cody had ghosted a completely new team in, and they never even noticed.

It suited Cody yesterday that Tipperary were the out and out favourites to win the game, but it may have made the Tipperary supporters and maybe even the management a little bit over-confident, based on their display in the drawn match, and this would have contributed also to their downfall.

Once Kilkenny got the match-ups right, used a 2-man inside forward line - end of story, but they should have won by more - 7 or 8 points at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

Congratulations to Brian and Henry on their 10th success together. This would not have been achievable without a wonderful bunch of players over the last 17 years or so - Henry, Tommy, JJ, Brian (H) Taggy, still involved.

Yesterday, when Henry came on, he was greeted by booing from some of the Tipperary fans, an indication of respect and fear that they hold for him - it appeared to spook Tipperary as it meant that it took up a man to concentrate fully on staying with him at costs. Henry appeared to be drawing his man to open space for the other forwards, and it worked perfectly.

Joyce was the ideal man on Bonner Maher, as he imposed his stronger physicality over him, and besides, as Maher is not a speed merchant, but relies on bull-dosing his way through, there was no way he was going to run through Joyce.

All the Kilkenny players were determined to this time ensure that Tipperary did not get their scores as easily as the drawn match and every player, from goalie out to the corner forward tackled with gusto and this cut out any accurate ball to a Tipperary player.

By his own standards, Richie Hogan was not as prominent as other days, but he still got two crucial points in the first half, which were brilliantly taken. It looked like he was not 100% fit, and the injury he picked up the last day may have restricted him a bit.

Most of the media got things wrong by insisting on the thinking that Kilkenny were an old team, the legs were gone, bla, bla, but failed to see that apart from Delaney and Tyrell, it was a comparatively young and fresh team that started - Brian Cody had ghosted a completely new team in, and they never even noticed.

It suited Cody yesterday that Tipperary were the out and out favourites to win the game, but it may have made the Tipperary supporters and maybe even the management a little bit over-confident, based on their display in the drawn match, and this would have contributed also to their downfall.

Once Kilkenny got the match-ups right, used a 2-man inside forward line - end of story, but they should have won by more - 7 or 8 points at least.

I agree with everything you say here bar the bit about Shefflin. I thought he offered nothing when he came on and in fact the Tipp backs found it easier to win ball and get out the field when he was there. No disrespect to him because he was obviously a brilliant hurler but his best days are clearly behind him. The only time he got the ball in his hand he managed to cough up possession to Tipp. Well done to Kilkenny and I agree with you they should have won by more but don't try claim Shefflin was a major factor in seeing out the game. He clearly wasn't.

b.t.w. if Tipp fans booed it him it was disrespectful. I didn't hear it now so hope it was only a minority. It's not as if Kilkenny fans are immune to this either but it's only a minority also.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

I agree with everything you say here bar the bit about Shefflin. I thought he offered nothing when he came on and in fact the Tipp backs found it easier to win ball and get out the field when he was there. No disrespect to him because he was obviously a brilliant hurler but his best days are clearly behind him. The only time he got the ball in his hand he managed to cough up possession to Tipp. Well done to Kilkenny and I agree with you they should have won by more but don't try claim Shefflin was a major factor in seeing out the game. He clearly wasn't.

b.t.w. if Tipp fans booed it him it was disrespectful. I didn't hear it now so hope it was only a minority. It's not as if Kilkenny fans are immune to this either but it's only a minority also.
    He actually sent a great ball into Colin Fennelly for the last point

Kkboy wrote: »
    He actually sent a great ball into Colin Fennelly for the last point

Apologies, hadn't realised that was him. KK had missed a few before that and it was crucial. I still think though our backs won a lot more ball while he was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

By his own standards, Richie Hogan was not as prominent as other days, but he still got two crucial points in the first half, which were brilliantly

Kilkenny were slight favourites with the bookies they don't make too many mistakes.

Apologies, hadn't realised that was him. KK had missed a few before that and it was crucial. I still think though our backs won a lot more ball while he was there.

I agree that Henry did not set the place alight, but scores are got not by action on the ball, but by rehearsed movements to draw the defenders to create space inside for the other forwards. I was behind the goal on Hill 16 and you could see it all clearly from there.

Around the time he came on, whether the Tipperary backs were out on their feet or not, the two inside forwards of Colin Fennelly and John Power stretched the Tipperary defence and every time the ball came in, danger threatened, and a lot more goals and points should have resulted.

Henry was calling for balls to be directed at him by his goalie, but was ignored and most were sent to the side instead. In one instance, I could see Henry, run one way and direct the goalie to send the ball to the opposite side. In any case, by this stage the Tipperary back line were at sixes and sevens, and waiting to be completely over-run - luck decided otherwise.

On the booing issue, the booing came mostly from the Tipp supporters behind me on Hill 16, and was fairly substantial and loud, so how you failed to hear it, I cannot understand. You must have been listening to the radio, or were you at the match?

In any case, I would not begrudge Henry his record breaking day, as by god, he deserves it after dragging his body back after serious cruciate ligaments, and it is a miracle that the man can still run around like he does.

We are only the hurlers on the ditch!

amber69 wrote: »

By his own standards, Richie Hogan was not as prominent as other days, but he still got two crucial points in the first half, which were brilliantly

Kilkenny were slight favourites with the bookies they don't make too many mistakes.

I was talking about the media and not the bookies. I never take any notice of them. Did you ever see a bookie on a bike?

I never hear anyone saying, " ah, I'm not going to the match, sure the bookies have so-and-so favourites" so I'm not going to bother.

By the way, any smart bookie will make Kilkenny favourites.

I agree that Henry did not set the place alight, but scores are got not by action on the ball, but by rehearsed movements to draw the defenders to create space inside for the other forwards. I was behind the goal on Hill 16 and you could see it all clearly from there.

Around the time he came on, whether the Tipperary backs were out on their feet or not, the two inside forwards of Colin Fennelly and John Power stretched the Tipperary defence and every time the ball came in, danger threatened, and a lot more goals and points should have resulted.

Henry was calling for balls to be directed at him by his goalie, but was ignored and most were sent to the side instead. In one instance, I could see Henry, run one way and direct the goalie to send the ball to the opposite side. In any case, by this stage the Tipperary back line were at sixes and sevens, and waiting to be completely over-run - luck decided otherwise.

On the booing issue, the booing came mostly from the Tipp supporters behind me on Hill 16, and was fairly substantial and loud, so how you failed to hear it, I cannot understand. You must have been listening to the radio, or were you at the match?

In any case, I would not begrudge Henry his record breaking day, as by god, he deserves it after dragging his body back after serious cruciate ligaments, and it is a miracle that the man can still run around like he does.

We are only the hurlers on the ditch!

I was on the Nally myself and I don't remember the booing (I was beside a lot of KK people who went nuts when he came on). I take your word for it though. Bad form but I suppose it was to counteract the KK cheering, nothing too serious. It's happened Tipp players v KK before but as I said I'd like to think this only represents a minority. Lads full of beer on the terrace can get carried away.

As for your points on Henry's influence I wasn't watching him off the ball but Kilkenny were far more dangerous before he came on. Maybe you're right that his movement caused more space to open up but it didn't yield much (a few bad wides to be fair). Anyway, I don't begrudge him another, his some man to keep coming back from serious injury.

• Advertisement

I was on the Nally myself and I don't remember the booing (I was beside a lot of KK people who went nuts when he came on). I take your word for it though. Bad form but I suppose it was to counteract the KK cheering, nothing too serious. It's happened Tipp players v KK before but as I said I'd like to think this only represents a minority. Lads full of beer on the terrace can get carried away.

As for your points on Henry's influence I wasn't watching him off the ball but Kilkenny were far more dangerous before he came on. Maybe you're right that his movement caused more space to open up but it didn't yield much (a few bad wides to be fair). Anyway, I don't begrudge him another, his some man to keep coming back from serious injury.

A good and fair assesment, and I know you understand I'm coming from a Kilkenny supporter rose-tinted glasses viewpoint and would have a different perspective.

I was beside a Tipperary couple and in between conversations we went back to supporting our respective teams, and they were devastated at the end. Tipperary could have had possibly 3 AI's won instead of just the one over the past 5 years, but such is life.

I agree with you that some Kilkenny "supporters" are just as bad at booing, (Lar a few years ago) but as you say, they would be mostly jarred youngsters. Every team has it's quota of morons.

Thanks for your fair and generous comments - your time will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Rightwing wrote: »
    Indeed, not the most knowledgeable thread I've come across.

Well done to KK today, certainly the better team. No where near as good a match as the last day, at least from a neutral pov.
    Good Man Rightwing , as usual your knowledge knows no bounds..... with the benefit of hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Paddy1234

Great win for Kilkenny congratulations.

What did people think of Lester Ryan's speech?
    Personally i thought it was a bit ridiculous giving it all as Gaeilge. He's not a Gaelgoir - he had it all learned off and written down.
    He thanked Mick Dempsey and then apologised for forgetting him and thanked him again.

The shouting at the end I couldn't even understand what he was saying.

I'm all for fluent Irish speakers eg Joe Connolly in 1980 which was a great speech.
    However I thought Lester's was very poorly delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Great win for Kilkenny congratulations.

What did people think of Lester Ryan's speech?
    Personally i thought it was a bit ridiculous giving it all as Gaeilge. He's not a Gaelgoir - he had it all learned off and written down.
    He thanked Mick Dempsey and then apologised for forgetting him and thanked him again.

The shouting at the end I couldn't even understand what he was saying.

I'm all for fluent Irish speakers eg Joe Connolly in 1980 which was a great speech.
    However I thought Lester's was very poorly delivered.

Lester is a secondary school teacher who is well known to be fluent in Irish.

Get your facts right before you make mad statements about the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What did people think of Lester Ryan's speech?.

I think you are concentrating on something that doesn't matter a tuppeny f**k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Someone looking for crumbs.

I thought it was fine, a fitting finale to a great match for Kilkenny.

Cody and Kilkenny learned fom drawn game, Tipp didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Lester is an Irish teacher and gave a fine speech. If you didn't understand what he was saying, it's your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Paddy1234

I thought the Sunday Game team of the year was pretty spot on. Surprised there was no - one from Cork though. 7 Kilkenny was about right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I thought the Sunday Game team of the year was pretty spot on. Surprised there was no - one from Cork though. 7 Kilkenny was about right
    Thought it was fair enough but could easily make an argument for Richie Power

Where was Eddie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

Who from cork would have made it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

piuswal wrote: »
    Where was Eddie?

In the bold corner after his comments about Barry Kelly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I think Brian is going - after his brave, forthright and honest comments about Barry Kelly. Barry unfortunately has a thing about KK and shows an extraordinary bias against us. I hope he never refs another match where KK participate.

He is a good ref otherwise and has all the attributes to be the best around - save when we are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

unrealtime wrote: »
    I think Brian is going - after his brave, forthright and honest comments about Barry Kelly. Barry unfortunately has a thing about KK and shows an extraordinary bias against us. I hope he never refs another match where KK participate.

He is a good ref otherwise and has all the attributes to be the best around - save when we are playing.

When, where and what did Cody say about Kelly?

When, where and what did Cody say about Kelly?

http://www.thescore.ie/brian-cody-kilkenny-tipperary-2-1695843-Sep2014/

IrishAlice wrote: »

He seems pretty upset in general, not just Kelly.

Certainly about Kelly but more "how can they be so stupid" about the others. It's a simple game, we are in charge, we make the decisions on the evidence before us, that's our job, why do you media guys try and make a simple straightforward process more complicated than it actually is?

BTW did you see the various tweets published further on in the article?
    Apart from a few from the team there were some very complimentary ones from other county players etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Ya I thought it was like an interview Davy would give, us against the world kinda thing. Surprised at Cody to come out with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Brian Gavin is probaby spared because we won! Thought the penalty awarded was ridiculous. But in fairness he is human and mistakes will happen. Was at the homecoming yesterday. Great turnout. I see on FB someone making the point about the players holiday fund. Farcical to see that the KK County Board have to fund raise to give the players a holiday given what the GAA took in on the two matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Personally I think the decisions he has had to make may have had an effect on him this time. Dropping a legend like Brian Hogan, who has soldiered with him over the years and been one of his most trusted players, must leave some effect on him.

I know he's done it to other players over the years, but that must have been a desperately hard thing for him to do and it has to cause sleepless nights.

Fair play to Brian Cody - it had to be said. It can be guaranteed also that he was standing up for his players, like a true manager should.

What should he say, after all that has gone on with Kelly and his antics over the past few years.
    A referee above all else, has to be neutral with his decision-making. If he is not, he is in no way a "good" referee but a disaster to the image of good sportsmanship. You see, a referee has to demonstrate sportsmanship too.There is no way a referee should be let on a pitch if he demonstrates bias.

The administrators who allowed this situation to fester are totally to blame, and it has to take a real man to come out and tell it the way it is, and as a result bring the attention and the ire of begrudgers on to him only for telling what is the truth and not allowing his team be bullied.

The bar of skill and performance is still high in Kilkenny, and they have not come back into the pack as most of the commentators and media like to point out, but have raised the bar again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

IrishAlice wrote: »
    In the bold corner after his comments about Barry Kelly :D

I wouldn't be suprised if this was actually the truth. There is no end of lads who want that gig, and Eddie might have just gone and shot himself in the foot with a very silly comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

delaney001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be suprised if this was actually the truth. There is no end of lads who want that gig, and Eddie might have just gone and shot himself in the foot with a very silly comment

Yeah when he said it I cringed, seemed very petty, the kind of thing you'd expect from someone on here, or sitting in the pub, made a bad impression on the day and he seemed to realise that himself as he was saying it.

But he should be let back in, he's an excellent analyst, as is Donal Og (although nobody seems to be calling for him to be fired after a couple of years' worth of blatant bias in his analysis), they bring a new dimension to the analysis that isn't there with the older guys. I mean, I like Cyril, he's a genuine guy and he has an utterly infectious love for the sport, but his analysis amounts to saying "this guy is good, look how well he plays, and bang, over the bar!" Now, hurling is a simple game at heart and sometimes there's not much more to besaid, but while I could listen to Cyril or Gerlock all day going on about a game, I'd seldom come away from it having learned anything new. Liam Sheedy, Brennan and Cusack all add something.

To be honest I can think of at least two other managers who would have issue with Kelly. Davy for one. the decision where he came in as a linesman in the Clare game and made sure that the corner back was sent off was disgraceful IMO. A lot of people agreed at the time that is was the right decision, but it was the manner of Kelly's intervention that got me, he was ensuring Clare went down to 14 men.
    I have watched enough of Kelly over the years and I personally think he is a poor referee, his positional sense is desperate and I have been at more than one match where both sets of supporters thought he head done them all day

I think Gavin is possibly the best ref of a poor lot, not his best game yesterday though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anthony Daly could be back next year!

delaney001 wrote: »

You cannot tell the truth in this country, as you will not get away with it. Can you see the irony - too much patronizing going on, on that show, it's a joke and too PC, may need a Dunphy type, like a hurling equivalent of Joe Brolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Can I just ask the Kilkenny fans that keep having a go at Barry Kelly, to consider that when no impartial observer believes he was particularly biased against them in the drawn match that maybe it would be ye who have the bias in question and not Barry Kelly?

Of course the standard response to this has been 'yer not really neutral', a siege mentality not even Davy would be proud of.

Hogan changed his body position to lead with the shoulder, even if he ended up on the ground that is an offence. This quote I find particularly strange:
    Decisions can happen during a game for all sides, maybe we got the call different times but if you are saying to a team, “we are going to give you a free, even though it is not a free, put the ball over the bar with five minutes to go and win the game, that is wrong, that is wrong, no other way around it

He's rambling there, and out of order. Through the rest of the article he seems to be having a cut. Didn't think he was going to leave this year, wonder might this be pre-empting it. Don't ever remember him coming out in such a no holds barred manner before.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There was no way that should have been a free, if it was he should have blown up for the same offense 5 or 6 times earlier on in the game but he never did, only at the very end with the game on the line.

Personally I feel he wanted a draw and felt giving a free to Tipp would get that result as a free to Kilkenny would have been scored.

Really though he shouldn't have given a free either way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Great win for Kilkenny. Showed immense pressure from the off. The first couple of minutes really showed a change in attitude from the first day, and the handy scores Tipp got the last day were most certainly not going to happen again. Great to see Henry get on too for a cameo appearance. IMO, he is spent though, and well spent. What a career to have behind him though. More medals than losses? As someone pointed out, if he was a county he'd be 4th in the all time records list. Fantastic player and leader, but KK showed they have enough there to continue on without him anyway.
    unrealtime wrote: »

there was nothing brave about the manager of an All Ireland winning team slating the ref from 3 weeks previously. It was bad form to be coming out with that in the manner he did, and despite all the absolutely deserved plaudits Cody gets for being without question the best manager to have ever graced the game, those sort of petty jibes he comes out with, most often against referees is not a good trait. from a neutral POV it just tarnishes him and his achievements to be coming out with that in the aftermath of another record setting win. I doubt he gives a crap what people think either, nor should he. but he also shouldnt be immune to criticism if he can dish it out. Where is Barry Kellys platform to respond? I'd agree with Mountainlad above too. There was little or no criticism of Gavin getting the penalty decision wrong, but Kelly was lambasted the last day over something similar.

The only issue I have with Cody coming out and giving out about Barry Kelly is that instead of talking about a great game with two great teams we're once again back to talking about the previous game and the refereeing decisions that have already been picked to pieces over the last 3 weeks.

I'm still on a high from Saturday and still have no voice left and I'm already looking forward to Kilkenny v Cork February 2015!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

bruschi wrote: »
    There was little or no criticism of Gavin getting the penalty decision wrong, but Kelly was lambasted the last day over something similar.

Brian Gavin giving a penalty Saturday was nothing like what Barry Kelly was like towards Kilkenny in the first game, non comparable. That was a free shot he gave them for nothing resembling a free. If it was a free it was a Kilkenny free. BK has an anti-Kilkenny stance that is clearly visible and although Cody should not have said anything publicly he is telling a pretty obvious truth. Whether Kelly is pandering to the powers that be in GAA headquarters to do everything he can to allow for change or is if it is something personal. To argue that Kelly gives Kilkenny a fair crack of the whip is simply false and can be argued with proof if you have attended/watched the games he has officiated with Kilkenny in them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement