Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hitchens wrote: »
    Pat Henderson definitely

Jaysus I should be shot for forgetting Pat Henderson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Jaysus I should be shot for forgetting Pat Henderson!
    I forgot JBM :eek:

Neither of the Mc Carthys did, Justin was a selector in 1984. I make it five Fitzgerald, Cody, Henderson, Cregan and Keating.

Ah my mistake. I hadn't realised that Gerald McCarthy was the trainer/selector in 1990.

Ah my mistake. I hadn't realised that Gerald McCarthy was the trainer/selector in 1990.
    he was appointed manager of Cork in 2006 having previously managed Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

the club is back this weekend, i go for wins for carrick , st martins, Danesfort,and the village, Clara and the village should be the tie of the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Shocks will have too much for Comer, but they can expect to be made fight (quite possibly literally) for it.

I'd fancy Tullaroan to edge Danesfort if they could muster a few goals from somewhere.

Martins are a better all round team than Johnstown and should win comfortably.

Clara to beat the Village, who haven't got a settled team this year and have given a number of disjointed displays as a result.

In the Intermediate I fancy wins for Mullinavat, Lisdowney, Thomastown and Ballyragget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Neither of the Mc Carthys did, Justin was a selector in 1984. I make it five Fitzgerald, Cody, Henderson, Cregan and Keating.

He was co manager and only because the County board tried to shaft him. Definitely deserves to be credited with that as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Shocks will have too much for Comer, but they can expect to be made fight (quite possibly literally) for it.

I'd fancy Tullaroan to edge Danesfort if they could muster a few goals from somewhere.

Martins are a better all round team than Johnstown and should win comfortably.

Clara to beat the Village, who haven't got a settled team this year and have given a number of disjointed displays as a result.

In the Intermediate I fancy wins for Mullinavat, Lisdowney, Thomastown and Ballyragget.

Shocks should have too much for Comer and would expect nothing less than a 6 or 7 point win but you can be sure that Comer will battle hard.

Likewise, I would fancy Tullaroan to beat Danesfort as I do feel they have a much stronger all round team and if they can take their scores you would fancy them.

St Martins should beat Fenians comfortably. Barring a miracle you would expect Fenians to end their long stay at this level and drop back to Intermediate where I feel they may even struggle again down there next year similar to Graigue Ballycallan this year.

Clara you would fancy to beat the Village who have been very inconsistent this season. Clara are much the more settled team and I fancy them to win by 3 to 5 pts although but the Village are capable of an upset here and you can never rule them out.

In the Intermediate, Mullinavat should have too much for Gowran, Lisdowney to edge past Tullogher Rosbercon in what should be a very close game, Thomastown to also edge past Graigue Ballycallan who will undoubtedly give it their all and fight hard after following up last years relegation from Senior with another poor season at this level. Finally Ballyragget should beat Dunnamaggin and in the relegation final I fancy Glenmore to come good on the day and send Conahy back down to Junior.

win for carrickshock today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Carrickshock 3.19 Comer 0-19

O Loughlins 1-18 Rower 2.13

Ballyhale S 1.20 Boro 0.19

Mullinavat 2.18 Gowran 4.10

Lisdowney 0.13 Tullogher/R 1.13

Looking forward to comments from any one at any of the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

I just uploaded a video on to YouTube with a little song I wrote and recorded with the help of a friend here across the water, it's called "up for the match - Kilkenny hurling song" it's a bit of a giggle, we are not musicians, but hope it gets a few laughs! I wrote it after the drawn game, I could probably put another verse about the replay on now but anyway enjoy and pass it on if you like it!

Half time scores

Thomastown 2-05 0-07 G/Ballycallan

Tullaroan 1-10 0-08 Danesfort

St Martins 0-07 0-07 Fenians

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Half time scores

Thomastown 2-05 0-07 G/Ballycallan

Tullaroan 1-10 0-08 Danesfort

St Martins 0-07 0-07 Fenians

Full Time

Graigue Ballycallan 0-19 2-10 Thomastown

Tullaroan 1-17 2-14 Danesfort

St Martins 0-13 0-10 Fenians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

How does the draw for Tullaroan affect them? And anyone at the game how did Tommy play?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Badabing wrote: »
    How does the draw for Tullaroan affect them?

Replay. Wasn't at the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Badabing wrote: »
    How does the draw for Tullaroan affect them? And anyone at the game how did Tommy play?

Tommy was half forward. Was very good. Caught a lot of ball, i missed the first 20 mins but he got about 3 points when i was there and won 3 or 4 scoreable frees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Clara beat the Village by 1-20 to 0-18. Good close game for the most part, goal after half time the decisive score to put Clara 3 points up, a lead they never relinquished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

The Powers were the difference for Carrick shock. John scoring 2 goals and Richie scoring an absolute peach.Jamie chipped in with some lovely points too.

Clara were too good for the Village. Keith Hogan was impressive in the second half . Jenkinstown is a shocking venue for a big game.A nightmare to get in and out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

The score in the 'Shock game was 3-14 to 0-19
    Comer were 4 points up at half time after scoring 15 points in the first half. They only got 4 points in the second. The Powers goal scoring ability the difference. Can't see Carrickshock going much further, a fairly imbalanced side.

The score in the 'Shock game was 3-14 to 0-19
    Comer were 4 points up at half time after scoring 15 points in the first half. They only got 4 points in the second. The Powers goal scoring ability the difference. Can't see Carrickshock going much further, a fairly imbalanced side.

Depending on the draw they get you really cant see them going further. With the team so unbalanced especially the Full Forward line, Michael Rice is a huge huge loss to a team who is entirely dependent on their star players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

The Powers were the difference for Carrick shock. John scoring 2 goals and Richie scoring an absolute peach.Jamie chipped in with some lovely points too.

Clara were too good for the Village. Keith Hogan was impressive in the second half . Jenkinstown is a shocking venue for a big game.A nightmare to get in and out of.

Clara deserved winners alright they had the better forwards keith hogan and austin gleeson I think were the best, the traffic was some joke too surely a better venue could've been picked. How Donnacha Cody played a full game I'll never shiw - worse than useless he was

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Clara deserved winners alright they had the better forwards keith hogan and austin gleeson I think were the best, the traffic was some joke too surely a better venue could've been picked. How Donnacha Cody played a full game I'll never shiw - worse than useless he was

Yeah, you'd have hurled him up a stick. The ultimate keyboard warrior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He didn't say that, he said he was poor, presumably he means for a senior hurler. It's fair comment, you can't just say everyone was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

He didn't say that, he said he was poor, presumably he means for a senior hurler. It's fair comment, you can't just say everyone was great.

Well said, It's a very fair comment. Anyone I met on the way out said the exact same (including Village supporters).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

Would never claim to have hurled him up a stick he would've cleaned me out of it im sure, just thought he was very poor. As were others on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Well said, It's a very fair comment. Anyone I met on the way out said the exact same (including Village supporters).

He said he was 'worse than useless'. Not a fair comment towards any player who represents his hurling team.

the traffic was some joke too surely a better venue could've been picked.

It's a real bugbear of mine dragging two teams like that out to the middle of nowhere with one road in/out. I know the 'wealth' has to be spread to all clubs as much as possible but there doesn't seem to be any consideration for the supporters. This was the biggest draw of the weekend plus the weather yesterday was always going to draw a crowd.

How Donnacha Cody played a full game I'll never shiw - worse than useless he was

Afaik he hasn't played a whole lot of hurling this year due to injury. Believe the brother has also had some injury problems this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

citykat wrote: »
    Afaik he hasn't played a whole lot of hurling this year due to injury. Believe the brother has also had some injury problems this year.

Given their injury problems, you'd have the question why they were played, and remained on the field for the full 60 mins. It was quite baffling as both struggled very badly.

They weren't the only ones though, Jackie had a very rare off day for the club. Just seemed lethargic and couldn't get the usual drive going. Larkin was well marked and the midfield really struggled.

Clara actually seemed to win at their ease truth be told.

Senior Quarter Finals:

Dicksboro v St. Martins
    Rower Inistioge v Carrickshock
    O'Loughlins v Clara
    Ballyhale v Danesfort/Tullaroan

Intermediate Semi Finals:

Tullogher v Mullinavat
    St. Patricks v Ballycallan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Senior Quarter Finals:
    Fixtures:

Rower Inistioge v Carrickshock in Thomastown next Sat @2pm
    O'Loughlins v Clara in the 'Bridge at 4.15pm also Sat

Sunday:
    Danesfort vs Tullaroan in Callan at 12pm
    Dicksboro vs St Martin's in Freshford at 12pm

Junior semi-finals are in Nowlan Park Sun
    Mooncoin vs O'Loughlins at 2pm
    Bennettsbridge vs Galmoy at 3.30pm

I'm afraid there won't be too many jobs done at home next weekend!

• Advertisement

Senior Quarter Finals:

Dicksboro v St. Martins
    Rower Inistioge v Carrickshock
    O'Loughlins v Clara
    Ballyhale v Danesfort/Tullaroan

Intermediate Semi Finals:

Tullogher v Mullinavat
    St. Patricks v Ballycallan

Dont mind if I have a go at a few predictions.
    Senior:
    The Boro
    The Rower
    Clara
    Ballyhale(Tullaroan to beat Danesfort in the Replay)

Intermediate:
    Mullinavat
    Ballyragget

Junior:
    The Bridge
    Mooncoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

phkk wrote: »
    Senior Quarter Finals:
    Fixtures:

Rower Inistioge v Carrickshock in Thomastown next Sat @2pm
    O'Loughlins v Clara in the 'Bridge at 4.15pm also Sat

Sunday:
    Danesfort vs Tullaroan in Callan at 12pm
    Dicksboro vs St Martin's in Freshford at 12pm

Junior semi-finals are in Nowlan Park Sun
    Mooncoin vs O'Loughlins at 2pm
    Bennettsbridge vs Galmoy at 3.30pm

I'm afraid there won't be too many jobs done at home next weekend!

Clara/O'Loughlins match moved to Nowlan Park @ 5pm Saturday

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    5pm Saturday

Have you put in lights there or are ye cutting it a bit fine having it that time of the evening?

Have you put in lights there or are ye cutting it a bit fine having it that time of the evening?

There's no lights there at the moment. At least it's not in the Bridge. Lovely village but c**t of a place to get in/out of when there's a crowd.

go for The Boro, carrickshock, O'Loughlins, Danesfort for the replay,

i think Ballyhale will win it out this year, with a panel with Mick & Colin Fennelly, Cha Fitz, the reids, Joey Holden, Shefflin, they are due one.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

go for The Boro, carrickshock, O'Loughlins, Danesfort for the replay,

i think Ballyhale will win it out this year, with a panel with Mick & Colin Fennelly, Cha Fitz, the reids, Joey Holden, Shefflin, they are due one.

It was only 2012 when they last won one...its hardly a famine for them.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Away league games in Cork and Galway next season, just 2 home games (Dublin and Clare), not exactly being bowled over by the prospect of the season ticket next season to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

i think Ballyhale will win it out this year

would be better for KK next year if they didnt

Not a shock man but would love to see them do it. It'd mean Richie as captain which I think would really drive him on next year. I'd say John P and Mick Rice would also be keen to being LMac back to the club.

• Advertisement

I am a Dicksboro man and would love to see us win it, however I would also like to see a club (any club, including the Boro) move away from nominating one of their own this one time and nominate JJ Delaney because if one man ever deserved it he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

I am a Dicksboro man and would love to see us win it, however I would also like to see a club (any club, including the Boro) move away from nominating one of their own this one time and nominate JJ Delaney because if one man ever deserved it he does.

Was JJ not Captain this year when Lester wasn't playing as there were no Clara lads starting? I know that's not the same as being outright captain but hard to see him getting it after that no?

Ger Loughnane describing JJ:

"There has never been another hurler with the speed of hand and the eye-hand co-ordination of Delaney.

He’s so comfortable on the ball and his judgement is laser-like.
    When he gets the ball, he makes sure he is never hooked.

Tipperary actually played into Delaney’s hands by moving Callanan out the field.

Remember, Delaney made his legendary status at wing-back, so roaming around the park doesn’t faze him.

His ability to get possession and deliver good ball afterwards was striking.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Is it pretty much a given that JJ will go this year lads do you think. All signs point towards it no?

Is it pretty much a given that JJ will go this year lads do you think. All signs point towards it no?

Why would the man retire. He is still playing at peak performance levels. Until we bed in a new full back, he will be required by Cody to hold the fort until that new full back emerges. He will be selected as the All Star full back this year proving he is far from past it. The man is pure class and has enough in him to play at the highest level for at least two more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I'd be surprised if he went, he's only one off ten medals isn't he?

Might as well give is another lash next year.

• Advertisement

I'm just echoing what the other two lads who've replied already .....

He's the best full-back in the country (we'd all be very, very surprised if he didn't get the All-Star full-back position).

He still is one of the best defenders in the country.

He's fit and healthy, and still loves playing (as far as we know anyway).

He has his place in the KK team nailed on (unlike Henry).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Three good matches this weekend.

Carrickshock got a bit of a fright from Comer and with that behind them you'd imagine they'll have too much scoring power for Inistioge.

Tullaroan will be wondering how they didn't win last week, I'd fancy them to put things right this week with a narrow victory.

Clara/Loughlins is the tie of the weekend. Couldn't call it. Weather conditions might just swing it in O'Loughlins favour as they're probably a tougher outfit than Clara.

don't know about that tougher than Clara, i take it you didn't see them hurl again camross of laois back in the 80's when it was manly stuff ..lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

If i was betting id go shocks, clara, boro,Tuallaroan. I think the first 3 could go either way though,
    Bridge and Mooncoin should probably win their matches, and that would set up an interesting final.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement