Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Anybody who turned up in Freshford today is to be commended. Dire weather in KK today.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

citykat wrote: »
    Anybody who turned up in Freshford today is to be commended. Dire weather in KK today.

I agree, hence why I didnt stir out for that particular game myself

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

sun shine supporters ..........lol......

some win for the Fenians JJ hurling senior again next year

Sure he'd be hurling senior either way. ;)

Miall108 wrote: »
    Either way you have to be sad for Tommy Walsh too but I can see him playing Senior Hurling once again before his career is over. Thats prob the difference, if Fenians went down, they were probably staying down

I wouldn't be as confident. Very difficult for a relegated team to bounce back the next year. I wouldn't fancy them against either of the intermediate finalists this year. They'll also have their near neighbours Ballycallan up against them next year. Wouldn't surprise me if they were drawn against each other in the group stage next year.

Miall108 wrote: »
    Full Time in Freshford:

Fenians 3-10 0-8 Tullaroan.

Tullaroan would have been the heavy favourites and were rather unlucky not to beat Danesfort in the drawn game in a game they had won which would have kept them up. The scoreline is today is particularly astonishing

The weather has to have been a factor. Was at a chaps match (clashing with the relegation playoff). Got into the car to check the half time score. Didn't get out again as the rain really started to come down then. Would've been very difficult to hurl in those conditions.

I wouldn't be as confident. Very difficult for a relegated team to bounce back the next year. I wouldn't fancy them against either of the intermediate finalists this year. They'll also have their near neighbours Ballycallan up against them next year. Wouldn't surprise me if they were drawn against each other in the group stage next year.

I do agree with you there, they will be there or thereabouts nonetheless and are certainly good enough go back up something I wouldnt have said about G/Ballycallan last year. I also agree that both of this years Intermediate finalists are better sides but I do see them coming back up within 3 years at least. They have some fine experienced players to drive them on next year such as the Coogans, Tommy, Padraig and Martin Walsh and Stephen Maher along with younger lads such as Jack Keoghan, Tommy Walsh and Shane Cuddihy so they will be a force at that level thats for sure.

Also I couldnt see G/Ballycallan being good enough to beat them either even though they are fierce rivals. Their showing last weekend just showed how poor a side they are with 1-5 scored the whole match, 1-2 by Eddie Brennan. It wont be too long before they go back Junior I would say once Brennan and Ryall are gone who are still their two best players

The weather has to have been a factor. Was at a chaps match (clashing with the relegation playoff). Got into the car to check the half time score. Didn't get out again as the rain really started to come down then. Would've been very difficult to hurl in those conditions.

Indeed and i think the conditions played into johnstowns hands. I do think Tullaroan would have at the very least shaded it on a good day as they certainly have the better tidier hurlers but today ultimately came down to a dogfight instead of a free flowing game as a result of the weather and the Fenians are certainly no strangers to a dogfight having endured their fair share of them over the last few years.

There was not a hope Tullaroan were going to come from behind in those conditions either after conceding 3 goals in the first half. Johnstown have been in this situation plenty of times over the last 10 years or so and their experience helped to see it out too

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

As a shocks man really looking forward to the matches in the park! Should be really up for it today, time is running out for their 'golden era' team to win one,we struggled to fill underage teams for the last 6-7 years so fewer and fewer players coming through. Clara favorites but at club level if the Powers go well they can beat anyone.
    Cant see anything but a shamrocks win in the other. When on form they would have too much firepower for anyone in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

6 points to 3 ST martins lead 21 mins

Ballyhale 4 unanswered points 6-6

Ballyhale 0-8 0-6 Muckalee Half Time

Halt time 8-6 Bally hale Martins haven't scored in 12 minutes.

Ballyhale 1-18 0-14 Martins Full Time

Henry Shefflin and Cha Fitzpatrick outstanding for the Shamrocks

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pollocks

Clara 1-10 shocks 0-4 ht

• Advertisement

Two best teams are through to the county final after ultimately easy wins for both.
    To be fair to Muckalee, they put it up to the shamrocks. They put an extra man in defence which stifled the ballyhale attack but more crucially limited goal scoring opportunities. When though you put an extra man in defence you must do two things: convert all your scoring chances and keep all your men on the pitch. Muckalee failed on both counts. Once they went a man down around the 40 min mark, it was game over. They didn't give up at that stage to their credit and even managed to get a few scores afterwards. However once the spare man was gone there was only going to be one winner. MOTM for me was Mick Fennelly. Imperious at CB. Henry and Cha were the best of the Shamrocks forwards. TJ was well held by Tomas Breen. Colin wasn't given the space for his usual running game.

Expected more from the second game but Clara were by far the better team. They were helped on their way by a soft goal from a short puck out just before half time. They built up a 9 pt lead at half time using wind and sun. Carrickshock started the second half going for goals when they should have been trying to get the score board going. Dalton was solid as usual at FB. J Tennyson was a long way from his intercounty form. The two Powers were well marshalled up front. The Clara team as a whole was solid. Lester was good in the first half and but faded in the second half.

On these showings I slightly fancy Clara in the final. They'll drop an extra man back to stop the Shamrocks forwards but they have the necessary quality in midfield and up front to get the scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Not gatecrashing or anything but here y'are

James Stephens - 27
    Joe Hennessy 5
    Fan Larkin 4
    Liam O’Brien 4
    Jackie Tyrell 4
    Peter Barry 3
    Brian Cody 2
    Eoin Larkin 2
    Mick Crotty
    Brian McEvoy
    Philly Larkin

Ballyhale Shamrocks - 24
    Henry Shefflin 11
    Liam Fennelly 4
    Cha Fitzpatrick 3
    Michael Fennelly 2
    TJ Reid 2
    Ger Fennelly
    Colin Fennelly

Fenians - 20
    JJ Delaney 7
    Ger Henderson 5
    Pat Delaney 2
    Pat Henderson 2
    Billy Fitzpatrick 2
    John Henderson
    PJ Ryan

Young Irelands - 13
    DJ Carey 9
    Charlie Carter 3
    Pat O’Neill

Bennettsbridge - 12
    Noel Skehan 7
    Jim Treacy 2
    Liam Simpson 2
    Pat Lawlor

Tullaroan - 10
    Tommy Walsh 9
    Liam Keoghan

Glenmore - 7
    Willie O’Connor 4
    Christy Heffernan
    Michael Phelan
    Eddie O’Connor

O'Loughlin Gaels - 7
    Martin Comerford 3
    Andy Comerford 2
    Brian Hogan 2

Carrickshock - 7
    Richie Power 2
    Michael Rice 2
    Richie Power jr 2
    Pat Dwyer

Graigue Ballycallan - 5
    Eddie Brennan 4
    Denis Byrne

Danesfort - 5
    Paul Murphy 3
    Richie Hogan 2

Rower Inistioge - 5
    Eddie Keher 5

Erin's Own - 4
    Mick Brennan 3
    Martin Coogan

Dunnamaggin - 4
    Noel Hickey 3
    Eamonn Kennedy

Knocktopher /B]Blackrock,Cork[B - 4
    Frank Cummins 4

St Lachtain's - 4
    Michael Kavanagh 4

Dicksboro - 3
    Michael Walsh 2
    Cillian Buckley

Windgap - 3
    Kieran Purcell 3

John Lockes - 2
    John Power 2

Emeralds - 2
    Derek Lyng 2

Clara
    Paddy Prendergast

Thomastown
    Dick O’Hara

Conahy Shamrocks
    Kieran Brennan

St Martin's
    Eamon Morrissey

24 Clubs, 64 Players, 172 All-Stars

Gatecrash away! Thank you very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Senior: Clara
    Intermediate: Ballyraggett
    Junior: Bennettsbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

The Bridge go to Intermediate, The Vat go Senior, congrats to both.

The Junior game was a poor enough game in the end after a decent start. After about 20 minutes the quality of the Bridge shone through, though they were helped by some very poor first touch and control by the Mooncoin. All the good hurling came from Bennetsbridge really, and once Blanchfield got the goal on the stroke of halftime it was over.

The second match was a cracker, very even until the end. Ballyraggett started the better but the Vat just wore them down in the end. Great physicality, first touch, and scores from both sides, a very good standard of hurling from two young panels. In the end Mullinavat got two crucial periods where they were on top, just after halftime and in the last 5 minutes, and forced Ballyragget into chasing the game. Overall, Mullinavat were deserving winners, Walsh and Aylward at either ends of the field were their best players. Honourable mention to Kevin Kelly, who was outstanding.

i hope 2015 is the year Kevin Kelly shows his stuff great player and would love to see him in with codys squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

randd1 wrote: »
    Honourable mention to Kevin Kelly, who was outstanding.

Outstanding? I must have been watching a different match. Took a nice score or two from play and tapped over the frees but was well marshalled all day and never got into the game properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Outstanding? I must have been watching a different match. Took a nice score or two from play and tapped over the frees but was well marshalled all day and never got into the game properly.

He got three points from play, all three were from winning his own ball under pressure and turning the man. Also got in a few hooks and blocks as well.

In truth, Ballyraggett were reliant on him to do get the scores. Mullinavat did their homework on him and reduced his possession, but when he won the ball he was very dangerous and carried a massive threat all through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Thought Kelly had an outstanding first half myself, he was first to every ball, had his marker at sixes and sevens and struck over a few lovely scores. He was rather quiet in the 2nd half and was well marshalled by the Vat defence. If I was to pick Ballyraggets best player yesterday I would have to pick their number 5 Bill Staunton as he was outstanding for them whilst number 5 for the Vat was also excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Just seen this a few minutes ago, great to seethathe still has the hunger after all these years!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2014/1110/658325-cody-to-stay-on-as-kilkenny-manager/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Great news indeed though I doubt if there was ever a real chance that he would step down. Will be very interesting to see how he approaches the Walsh Cup and the league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's an obsession, a drug, an addiction. Fair play to him, he's some man.

with the minors winning this year to cody knows there is still alot of talent on the way up in kilkenny.

Of the minors do you see Cody bringing any of them into the panel. It is not his usual form apart from a handful over his sixteen years it is not his norm. I could be wrong but I think Cillian Buckley was the last one to be brought in straight after finishing in minor or maybe a year later.

he will bring a few in thats not saying they will see championship hurling maybe 2016 before we will see them or 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I'll be surprised if he doesn't take a closer look at someone like Luke Scanlon. Exceptional for club (The Village as well, don't forget), school and county last season.

• Advertisement

As a Boro man the one big thing I admire about Cody is that he gives every club a fair shot. In my opinion he has never favored the Village at the expense of a player from another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

As a Boro man the one big thing I admire about Cody is that he gives every club a fair shot. In my opinion he has never favored the Village at the expense of a player from another club.

I dunno, he persisted with Eoin McCormack and Matt Ruth for longer than he should have, but yeah, not because they were village players, I'd have thought. He stuck with mulhall for a long time too.

I dunno, he persisted with Eoin McCormack and Matt Ruth for longer than he should have, but yeah, not because they were village players, I'd have thought. He stuck with mulhall for a long time too.

Well he also persisted with Buckley last year when he had some very indifferent displays. I don't think he's biased towards the village lads. Remember Tots, Philly? Once he thought they had nothing more to offer he dispatched them.

I doubt if there was ever a real chance that he would step down.

Maybe so but how f****d would we be if he had? IMO there is no heir apparent.

One thing you have to admire about him in these situations is the lack of fuss. There's no agonising, no whinging over the workload, the mileage, the time spent. There's no demands from the CB for anything at all. Remember he doesn't get a cent in pay for this job. He doesn't go in for the small army of a back room, the warm weather training (whatever that is). They're gonna big boots to fill when he finally decides to hang them up. I have only pity for his successor.

andyman wrote: »
    I'll be surprised if he doesn't take a closer look at someone like Luke Scanlon. Exceptional for club (The Village as well, don't forget), school and county last season.

Id be a bit surprised if he was to call him up to be honest. Definately one for the future but history has shown that Cody has tended to allow the younger lads to serve their apprenticeship for a few years at U21 level to develop in terms of skill and physicality before calling them up. Scanlon will definately have his day but at this moment in time he is not physically ready for Senior Intercounty hurling. The necessity for Cody to call up a young lad straight out of Minor is currently not there and it is rare for him to do so.

Id imagine he will look at other slightly older lads like Kevin Kelly, Ger Aylward(again) as he missed most of last year through injury, Joe Lyng, David Glynn and these lads

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Id be a bit surprised if he was to call him up to be honest. Definately one for the future but history has shown that Cody has tended to allow the younger lads to serve their apprenticeship for a few years at U21 level to develop in terms of skill and physicality before calling them up. Scanlon will definately have his day but at this moment in time he is not physically ready for Senior Intercounty hurling. The necessity for Cody to call up a young lad straight out of Minor is currently not there and it is rare for him to do so.

Id imagine he will look at other slightly older lads like Kevin Kelly, Ger Aylward(again) as he missed most of last year through injury, Joe Lyng, David Glynn and these lads

I think Scanlon looks a little light also but Tommy wasn't any bigger when he got drafted. Similarly Cha and JJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ric Flair

What are the biggest rivalry's in Kilkenny Club Hurling??

Tullaroan v Graigue Ballycallan ?
    Lisdowney v St. Pats Ballyragget ?
    Ballyhale v Carrickshock ?
    3 City Clubs ?

Ric Flair wrote: »

3 City Clubs ?

For the city clubs it's definitely the Boro v the village, traditionally, simply because loughlins aren't there as long. I would presume that loughlins also have a greater rivalry with the village than they have with the Boro. Matches involving the village always have a bit more edge in them and bring out the best (and worst, in a sense) in both the other city teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

3 City Clubs ?

How's about Mooncoin V Carrigeen?

• Advertisement

How's about Mooncoin V Carrigeen?

Thomastown V Bennettsbridge is another one

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Maybe so but how f****d would we be if he had? IMO there is no heir apparent.

One thing you have to admire about him in these situations is the lack of fuss. There's no agonising, no whinging over the workload, the mileage, the time spent. There's no demands from the CB for anything at all. Remember he doesn't get a cent in pay for this job. He doesn't go in for the small army of a back room, the warm weather training (whatever that is). They're gonna big boots to fill when he finally decides to hang them up. I have only pity for his successor.

Successors sorted...Lyng, McGarry learning the ropes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

3 City Clubs ?

Graignamanagh and Blacks and Whites
    Piltown and Mooncoin

Tomás Keogh v Seán O Shea

Matt Ruth v Keith Hogan

Successors sorted...Lyng, McGarry learning the ropes

There's more to IC management than laying out the cones and doing a couple of drills. If either of these gents want to succeed Cody, they need to manage a team preferably at senior club level. Cody didn't win any county titles as manager of the Village but the experience gained proved invaluable to him later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I'm not going to mention names here but there are players on the KK panel who have shown less than Matt Ruth when given a chance to play so I don't think it's fair to suggest he is lucky to be in there.

• Advertisement

I'd say any player that's shown form this year will be considered. Whether these individuals are willing to effectively put their lives on hold is another matter.

peabutler wrote: »
    I'm not going to mention names here but there are players on the KK panel who have shown less than Matt Ruth when given a chance to play so I don't think it's fair to suggest he is lucky to be in there.

Yeah but there's none right now who were given as many chances. Clearly Cody saw something in him that made him worth a try, same as with Mulhall and others. That approach, showing patience with players because he sees something in a guy that the rest of us often don't, has paid off many times, where we've gotten a Richie Power, or a Brian Hogan, but that brings with it that you'll also have a few punts on guys that don't work out. Nothing wrong with Matt Ruth, but he just didn't work out. Don't think for a second it had anything to do with what club he's from.

There's more to IC management than laying out the cones and doing a couple of drills. If either of these gents want to succeed Cody, they need to manage a team preferably at senior club level. Cody didn't win any county titles as manager of the Village but the experience gained proved invaluable to him later on.

James McGarry had plenty of experience with Shamrocks

James McGarry had plenty of experience with Shamrocks

As coach/selector (whatever his role was - I'm not sure). Far different from being the main man where the buck stops with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

Yeah but there's none right now who were given as many chances. Clearly Cody saw something in him that made him worth a try, same as with Mulhall and others. That approach, showing patience with players because he sees something in a guy that the rest of us often don't, has paid off many times, where we've gotten a Richie Power, or a Brian Hogan, but that brings with it that you'll also have a few punts on guys that don't work out. Nothing wrong with Matt Ruth, but he just didn't work out. Don't think for a second it had anything to do with what club he's from.

I think Matt Ruth had a good enough underage career to merit a chance with the county team. I thought he did ok in a few matches last year, was lively enough against Waterford for instance. Never seems to score much at club level tho.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement