Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Even if Kilkenny people aren't interested, the 90,000 population compared to about 6.4million people on the entire Island is a drop in the ocean.

Steady there. You might be accused of hyperbole. 6.4 million interested in two crappy football games!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

citykat wrote: »
    Interest in the KK county final extends far beyond the county boundary.

Not particularly, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Steady there. You might be accused of hyperbole. 6.4 million interested in two crappy football games!!!

Well I'm limiting the definitive non interest in football to Kilkenny. Obviously, there will be more people than that would prefer to see the Kilkenny County Final than the one or both football games but the argument is that Cork and Kerry have a combined population I think of somewhere in region of 750,000.

You'll have to strip away babies, people who don't like sport, people who don't like GAA etc but even then I think between the two Counties they would far exceed the viewership for the game over the Kilkenny county final especially given I believe the Kilkenny County final is generally well attended.

All I was doing was giving the rationale to another poster for why the other games were shown, you've introduced objectivity into it be labeling the games as "crappy football", which wouldn't be reflected in the viewing numbers.

I think Geordie Shore is crap, but I still understand why it's shown on tv as frequently as it is (people watch it, even if I don't get why!!)

Orizio wrote: »
    Not particularly, no.

How would you know? What do you know?

Well I'm limiting the definitive non interest in football to Kilkenny. Obviously, there will be more people than that would prefer to see the Kilkenny County Final than the one or both football games but the argument is that Cork and Kerry have a combined population I think of somewhere in region of 750,000.

You'll have to strip away babies, people who don't like sport, people who don't like GAA etc but even then I think between the two Counties they would far exceed the viewership for the game over the Kilkenny county final especially given I believe the Kilkenny County final is generally well attended.

All I was doing was giving the rationale to another poster for why the other games were shown, you've introduced objectivity into it be labeling the games as "crappy football", which wouldn't be reflected in the viewing numbers.

I think Geordie Shore is crap, but I still understand why it's shown on tv as frequently as it is (people watch it, even if I don't get why!!)

I'll have to take your word on Geordie shore. The OP also referred to the Tipp CF. It wasn't just about KK. Tg4 have a public service remit so their consideration is not primarily ratings. Within that remit though there has to be consideration of what people want to see. Do people really want to watch two football matches in a row? I very much doubt it. One is surely more than most can manage.

• Advertisement

I'll have to take your word on Geordie shore. The OP also referred to the Tipp CF. It wasn't just about KK. Tg4 have a public service remit so their consideration is not primarily ratings. Within that remit though there has to be consideration of what people want to see. Do people really want to watch two football matches in a row? I very much doubt it. One is surely more than most can manage.

Undoubtedly, and they do cater to that to be fair. The Tipp County final was on the last couple of years, pretty sure the same for the Kilkenny County final. Not sure when the last time the Waterford or Clare county finals had been shown before this year. They have the same public service remit towards Tipperary/Kilkenny as they do Waterford/Clare surely?

I'm sure most people that wanted to see the game were able to attend if they wanted to go that badly. They'll likely see enough of Ballyhale before the year is out anyway.

Undoubtedly, and they do cater to that to be fair. The Tipp County final was on the last couple of years, pretty sure the same for the Kilkenny County final. Not sure when the last time the Waterford or Clare county finals had been shown before this year. They have the same public service remit towards Tipperary/Kilkenny as they do Waterford/Clare surely?

I'm sure most people that wanted to see the game were able to attend if they wanted to go that badly. They'll likely see enough of Ballyhale before the year is out anyway.

I'd watch the Clare/Waterford or any hurling CF before I'd sit through two football matches. I didn't see any of the football at the weekend but by all reports it was brutal. Given there were cameras in NP on Sunday I'm surprised they didn't broadcast sport that people would actually enjoy.

I'd watch the Clare/Waterford or any hurling CF before I'd sit through two football matches. I didn't see any of the football at the weekend but by all reports it was brutal. Given there were cameras in NP on Sunday I'm surprised they didn't broadcast sport that people would actually enjoy.

I was in Dungarvan and by all reports that football game was excellent. Was the game in Nowlan Park excellent? Sounded quite one sided, but this like your comment shows the benefit of hindsight which those choosing which games to show live wouldn't have.

I would also watch the Kilkenny or Tipp finals if I was around. But it would be remiss of me to suggest that just because I'd rather watch that then Ulster football that everyone would.

TG4 do a lot for Hurling and Football, which is more than can be said for RTE who last year in particular (2013) I thought showed some serious neglect towards hurling, especially on their league sunday show if there was football and hurling on the same weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think tg4 have got a number of games wrong this year , while they did show full coverage of 4 out of 5 county hurling finals this year in munster, so far only one (the limerick final) was remotely close as the others were wash outs ,
    and i didnt think the game between kilcormac/kiloughley and shalmaliers was'nt any great shakes either despite the close nature of the game ,

but you are right even as a football follower as well i would have to say i would have very little interest in ulster football and would have preferred the hurling .

sadly though most counties north of galway don't want to know about hurling so i do acutely think the decision was made to reel in viewers

How would you know? What do you know?

Dear me, very aggressive.

Believe it or not, the Kilkenny Senior Hurling Final isn't a gala event in the Irish sports calender. Few outside of the small county of Kilkenny care about it.

Anyway sorry to break your illusions regarding the place of Kilkenny club hurling in Irish sports. ;)

• Advertisement

i think tg4 have got a number of games wrong this year , while they did show full coverage of 4 out of 5 county hurling finals this year in munster, so far only one (the limerick final) was remotely close as the others were wash outs ,
    and i didnt think the game between kilcormac/kiloughley and shalmaliers was'nt any great shakes either despite the close nature of the game ,

but you are right even as a football follower as well i would have to say i would have very little interest in ulster football and would have preferred the hurling .

sadly though most counties north of galway don't want to know about hurling so i do acutely think the decision was made to reel in viewers

+1. Gaelic Football is the dominant sport in GAA, not Hurling. Viewer numbers, attendance numbers etc back this up very clearly. TG4 is going to trump for football over hurling a lot of the time. Anyway that believes otherwise is clearly unaware of the sporting situation on the entire island of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

While discussing the entertainment value of Ulster football is, of course, one of my favourite subjects, and totally relevant to a Kilkenny thread, I was wondering does anyone have an opinion on how Ballyhale will get on in their next outing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Believe it or not, the Kilkenny Senior Hurling Final isn't a gala event in the Irish sports calender. Few outside of the small county of Kilkenny care about it.

Anyway sorry to break your illusions regarding the place of Kilkenny club hurling in Irish sports. ;)

Your actually wrong there in regards one cork man a manager now was at the match Sunday actually travelled up to it , as intensity and I have attended two county finals up here in the past is much higher than the current cork club scene and always in sport the leading teams in a county will always get attention so kilkenny having won seven of the last nine senior hurling titles it's actually common sense that real real hurling knowledgeable people would want to see the club final as their intensity in the club scene correlates significantly with their senior intercounty county team

I also know of lot club people in cork that made the journey up in they got a farce of county final in cork so wanted see a real real game.

Your opinion on the KK county final means a lot to me, really. Tbh I personally couldn't care less whether it's on the box. I live a 10 min stroll from NP so it's no bother for me. The original comment and mine was about hurling county finals, referencing Tipp also. Tg4 could've put deferred coverage of the hurling on Sun, rather than two football matches in a row. You'd want to be some kind masochist to sit through those two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Not particularly, no.

I didn't realise that you spoke for every GAA fan outside of Kilkenny :confused:

I work with a couple of lads from Clare and Galway, and the first thing they were chatting to me about on Monday morning was the Kilkenny county final. Was it a good match, did Henry play well, will Ballyhale win Leinster etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

There would usually be added interest amongst hurling folk with regards to the county final of that years all Ireland winners.
    I know I had anyway last year for the Sixmilebridge versus Newmarket-on-Fergus match.

There would usually be added interest amongst hurling folk with regards to the county final of that years all Ireland winners.
    I know I had anyway last year for the Sixmilebridge versus Newmarket-on-Fergus match.

That was a bit of a novelty though. Nothing new about Ballyhale.

Also, I don't think the Kerry or Donegal football finals were on tv despite them contesting the all Ireland in relation to the Tipp/Kilkenny argument. The reality is those two championships are so far delayed that the provincials have started in every province in every code. Thenlikes of the Waterford county final was shown because it was so early and nothing competing with it.

That was a bit of a novelty though. Nothing new about Ballyhale.

Also, I don't think the Kerry or Donegal football finals were on tv despite them contesting the all Ireland in relation to the Tipp/Kilkenny argument. The reality is those two championships are so far delayed that the provincials have started in every province in every code. Thenlikes of the Waterford county final was shown because it was so early and nothing competing with it.

Just curious. Would you have liked live or deferred coverage of the hurling last week? Or were you happy with two football matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Im sorry if what you say about Kilkenny goes in one ear and out the other on here but it seems that you have a history for being anti kilkenny or just being anti everything in general. Its not that long ago you were slating our Minor team after they won the All Ireland saying they shouldnt be still in the Championship so I dont think we care what you say nor do you have the right to speak for the majority of hurling fans outside the county

Just curious. Would you have liked live or deferred coverage of the hurling last week? Or were you happy with two football matches?

I was at a football match on Sunday. Hurling would be my preferred choice usually but then I wouldn't hold my preference as representative of the Country. Orizio is correct when he talks about the viewing figures for football being higher than hurling, though may be skewed by the Dubs a bit. But to be honest, I think your certainly over rating the appeal of a club hurling final regardless of it being Kilkenny.

Have a feeling the people TTM is talking about travelling to the game would have done so anyway, I would also question how much is meant by a lot because 30 people would be a lot of people for him to know say travelling to it, but would be a grain of sand in terms of tv viewership.

All I'm doing is trying to explain why TG4 made that decision and I think it's reasonable enough. I get that football isn't popular on this thread and as I said hurling is my preferred spectator sport, but I appreciate that for a lot of people they had more interest in the clash in Tralee, I don't really know enough about the North to even know what kind of viewers they have but not many of their games get shown on tv so I suppose there's a quota needs filling.

And at the end if the day, neither the Tipp or Kilkenny county final sounded that competitive in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Shur they probably said after showing the Limerick final everything else would be a disappointment :pac:

I was at a football match on Sunday. Hurling would be my preferred choice usually but then I wouldn't hold my preference as representative of the Country. Orizio is correct when he talks about the viewing figures for football being higher than hurling, though may be skewed by the Dubs a bit. But to be honest, I think your certainly over rating the appeal of a club hurling final regardless of it being Kilkenny.

Have a feeling the people TTM is talking about travelling to the game would have done so anyway, I would also question how much is meant by a lot because 30 people would be a lot of people for him to know say travelling to it, but would be a grain of sand in terms of tv viewership.

All I'm doing is trying to explain why TG4 made that decision and I think it's reasonable enough. I get that football isn't popular on this thread and as I said hurling is my preferred spectator sport, but I appreciate that for a lot of people they had more interest in the clash in Tralee, I don't really know enough about the North to even know what kind of viewers they have but not many of their games get shown on tv so I suppose there's a quota needs filling.

And at the end if the day, neither the Tipp or Kilkenny county final sounded that competitive in the end.

It's not about overrating the CF. My point all along has been that TG4 chose two football matches and ignored the highest profile hurling match of the weekend. Hurling is finished in most counties so there were probably a lot people tuning in to TG4 at the weekend. I doubt that many of those sat through all of that football.

Like I said earlier, didn't bother me in the slightest.

It's not about overrating the CF. My point all along has been that TG4 chose two football matches and ignored the highest profile hurling match of the weekend. Hurling is finished in most counties so there were probably a lot people tuning in to TG4 at the weekend. I doubt that many of those sat through all of that football.

Like I said earlier, didn't bother me in the slightest.

Different people might have tuned in for the different games given they were in different championships. I would say a number of people who watched the football would not have bothered sitting through the hurling either.

On a different note, as somebody pointed out Ballyhale are favourites (agree with the bookies myself). Who do you think would be there biggest challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

kilcormac-killoughey in the final will be a hard challenge and they will be big underdogs in it and you know offaly have a history about the underdog who bites back, just asked a star studded Thurles sarsfields about kilcormac- killoughey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

I didn't realise that you spoke for every GAA fan outside of Kilkenny :confused:

I work with a couple of lads from Clare and Galway, and the first thing they were chatting to me about on Monday morning was the Kilkenny county final. Was it a good match, did Henry play well, will Ballyhale win Leinster etc.

I Had the exact same thing in tipp Monday morning. Any strong hurling counties will always have an interest in kk and tipp finals.

TG4 have a game of the week at 12:45 am Wed. Hopefully it'll be broadcast then.

No hurling tonight. Good news for insomniacs.

No hurling tonight. Good news for insomniacs.

What did they show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

delaney001 wrote: »
    I Had the exact same thing in tipp Monday morning. Any strong hurling counties will always have an interest in kk and tipp finals.

KK I can understand but why Tipp? A Tipp club hasn't won the club All-Ireland since 1987 and they haven't even been all that great inside Munster with something like 4 Munster titles in the past 20 years. How would that make the Tipp county final any more interesting to the neutral than the Galway, Clare or Cork ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

KK I can understand but why Tipp? A Tipp club hasn't won the club All-Ireland since 1987 and they haven't even been all that great inside Munster with something like 4 Munster titles in the past 20 years. How would that make the Tipp county final any more interesting to the neutral than the Galway, Clare or Cork ones?

Most hurling followers have an interest in other counties and who contest their finals. I know I would watch the Waterford, Cork, Limerick, Tipp, Clare, Galway finals amongst others if it were possible. County finals attract a lot more than just the followers from the county involved. Why else do national papers give fairly extensive coverage to almost every county final even to those finals where the county itself might not be amongst the leading lights. To say only Kilkenny people have an interest in the Kilkenny county final or Limerick in the Limerick final is way off the mark. Hurling followers given the chance will watch most other counties Finals giving those finals a far bigger audience than just from the county itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Sunday's match not being shown either (below from TG4 website)

Craobh Club AIB - Cluiche Ceannais Iomána na Mumhan

Dé Domhnach 23.11 Beo @ 2:00pm

Cill Mocheallóg (Luimneach) v Creatlach (An Clár)

Tús Cluiche: 2:00pm
    Ionad: Páirc na nGael, Luimneach
    Am Breise: TÁ (2 x 10')

LÁITHREOIR: Micheál Ó Domhnaill
    TRÁCHTAIREACHT: Garry Mac Donncha & Cathal Moore
    ANAILÍS: Donal O'Grady & Cathal Moore

Craobh Club AIB - Cluiche Ceannais Peile Chonnacht

Dé Domhnach 23.11 Iarbheo @ 3:35pm

Baile an Tobair (Maigh Eo) v Cora Finne (Gaillimh)

Ionad: Páirc Mhic Éil, Caisleán an Bharraigh

TRÁCHTAIREACHT: Mac Dara Mac Donncha & Gary Brennan

Craobh Club AIB - Cluiche Ceannais Iomána na Mumhan

Dé Domhnach 23.11 Beo @ 2:00pm

Cill Mocheallóg (Luimneach) v Creatlach (An Clár)

Ionad: Páirc na nGael, Luimneach

LÁITHREOIR: Micheál Ó Domhnaill
    TRÁCHTAIREACHT: Garry Mac Donncha & Cathal Moore
    ANAILÍS: Donal O'Grady & Cathal Moore

Craobh Club AIB - Cluiche Ceannais Peile Chonnacht

Dé Domhnach 23.11 Iarbheo @ 3:35pm

Baile an Tobair (Maigh Eo) v Cora Finne (Gaillimh)

Ionad: Páirc Mhic Éil, Caisleán an Bharraigh

TRÁCHTAIREACHT: Mac Dara Mac Donncha & Gary Brennan

Be thankful it's not all football again. Hurling on first also so at least the afternoon isn't wasted hanging around waiting.

they will always show the munster club final anyway in hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well they would never show a Leinster hurling semi-final instead of the Munster hurling final or the Connacht football final. That wouldn't make sense.

As Citykat said, just be happy that they are showing the hurling match :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Tipp inter county team have taken part in some of the best games of hurling of all time, in the last 6 years. They have some of the best hurlers in the country at the minute, it stands to reason people (who have a strong interest in hurling) will want to see them in their own club colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

delaney001 wrote: »
    Tipp inter county team have taken part in some of the best games of hurling of all time, in the last 6 years. They have some of the best hurlers in the country at the minute, it stands to reason people (who have a strong interest in hurling) will want to see them in their own club colours.

Possibly but no more than a number of other counties. I wouldn't pick the Tipp county final out especially as being above some others.

• Advertisement

Possibly but no more than a number of other counties. I wouldn't pick the Tipp county final out especially as being above some others.

The Tipp CF this year was a good game. On paper Thurles looked strong and but for a brutal refereeing decision could be now contesting the Munster final. Given the option I too, like Savannahkat, would watch the county hurling final from most counties. I'd be looking out for current and former county players to see how they perform. Their prominence gives you an indication of the standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

The Kilkenny county championship as a whole has been poor this year anyway.

andyman wrote: »
    The Kilkenny county championship as a whole has been poor this year anyway.

In what way? What was wrong with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

. On paper Thurles looked strong and but for a brutal refereeing decision could be now contesting the Munster final.

I would go so far as to say it was a 'criminal' decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hearing that Tommy Walsh has retired. Will go down in history as one of the greats. Best of luck to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

KevIRL wrote: »
    Hearing that Tommy Walsh has retired. Will go down in history as one of the greats. Best of luck to him

One of my all time favourite hurlers, sad to hear the news.

I really thought he'd go for one more year and see if he could get the ten.

KevIRL wrote: »

Fair dues just on twitter now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Never forget how well he played in the '11 final. Showed some heart and intensity that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not what I wanted to wake up to, atrue legend of the game, no more than jj or Henry he was among the best that ever played. And he created a reaction in the crowd when he made a catch or a clearance that was like something no other player could do. Match days haven't been as good since he got dropped and honestly now they'll never be the same again. Best of luck to him in his retirement, some great memories he's created for us.

best of luck tommy thanks for the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

STATEMENT FROM TOMMY WALSH READ OUT ON KCLR BREAKFAST THIS MORNING….

I wish to announce my retirement from intercounty hurling. For the last 13 years I have had the time of my life, lived my dream and have memories that will stay with me forever.

Firstly and most importantly I want to sincerely thank my wife and family for their continuous encouragement, support and drive throughout my intercounty career.

I have been very fortunate and privileged to play along side terrific teammates and I thank them for being just that. It was also an absolute honour to play against many outstanding hurlers from all over the country.

I would like to thank Brian Cody for his loyalty throughout all my years with Kilkenny and for believing in me as a player.

Most importantly I want to thank each one of the management teams since 2002 for their support and advice, also the medics, back room staff and especially the one and only Rakard Cody who has been a great friend to us all.

The county board have always been hugely supportive and have always put the players first, this of which I will never forget as it laid the foundations for our recent success. Equally I would like to thank my employers Bank Of Ireland for their understanding and support throughout my intercounty career.

My club Tullaroan has always been very special to me. I owe them for the amazing opportunity I got to play for Kilkenny. This is mainly down to the teachers in the primary school and all the devoted coaches in the club. I will forever be indebted to you all. I will always be grateful for my time spent in St Kieran’s College and UCC where I learned valuable lessons that were of huge benefit to my hurling career.

Thanks to my friends and mentor from outside the county set up, who challenged and supported me aswell as always being there for advice when I needed it most. This I will never forget.

I’d like to thank the GPA for their constant support of players all over the country. They provide many valuable services which deal with the welfare of their players. This I know is a huge comfort to all players and the GPA deserve huge credit for this.

Last but not least I finally want to thank the supporters. From day one they showered me with support. I will never forget their continued encouragement, especially in my final year, simply thank you.

I wish the management and players continued success for the coming years.

Yours always

Tommy Walsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

A great servant to Hurling. He will be missed. Even during last season he handled himself well, always said he was privileged to be part of the Kilkenny setup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Rest assured he was equally admired in other hurling counties. After the challenge game in Martinstown last year he spent ages signing autographs for all and sundry, a true class act and a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Not what I wanted to wake up to, atrue legend of the game, no more than jj or Henry he was among the best that ever played. And he created a reaction in the crowd when he made a catch or a clearance that was like something no other player could do. Match days haven't been as good since he got dropped and honestly now they'll never be the same again. Best of luck to him in his retirement, some great memories he's created for us.

Sums up how a lot of us feel at the news. In the list of great players who ever donned a hurling jersey he was a giant. In the Kilkenny jersey since he first donned one he was a giant amongst giants. Tommy Walsh, Kilkenny Hurler, pure and simple, one does not have to add anything. It sums up everything about the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

He was (is) among the most electric and exciting players I've ever had the honour to see, in any sport. The capacity to amaze, and a flamboyance that cannot be taught. I smiled when I heard the news because the memories are special - he deserves to lauded with the greatest.

Thanks for everything Tommy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement