Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Joyce was selected for a one off marking job which worked but I do not see him as a permanent center back. I do not know of any one putting their hand up so we are going have to do a bit of a county wide search and if that fails then Cillian Buckley it has to be.

Mick Fennelly has been in great form for the shamrocks at CB. If Joyce doesn't work out he could slot straight in. Long term, yea, Buckley will be in with a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

robwen wrote: »
    Rice would be on the current team not the retired.. As for Henry only he knows what team he would qualify for..

I know the 2 boys are not retired but as a tribute to the great team of the last ten to fifteen years it would be great to see them all line out together (you could include JJ and Jackie in that group as well). I just think it would be a nice chance to say thanks to those lads, some of whose great careers have just fizzled out and finished with a tinge of disappointment when they were dropped?
    Not that any of them should feel disappointed but I get the impression that a few of them didn't finish the way that they would have liked. That's why it would be great to have a bit of a Brian o Driscoll type send off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

KK back for pre season next Monday. Heard Keith Hogan added. Anyone else??

Ive heard Rob Lennon of BBridge was also added to the pre season panel but hes still involved with the club so id take that with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

would love to see Brian Hogan change his mind. Feel he might in the Spring if Cody tried then. He is so commanding at CH; there is no one like him in hurling for the past decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

I presume that Joey Holden, Willie Phelan, Brian Kennedy and Michael Walsh will be tried out during the Walsh Cup/National league again. Its hard to see them displacing the backs who started the replay but obviously they will be needed in case of injuries. Then maybe Geoff Brennan, JonJo Farell, Mark Kelly will get further chances to prove themselves. Walter Walsh needs to find a consistent run of form but has shown that he can be a threat at intercounty level when at his best. Beyond last years panel, I suppose Keith Hogan and Kevin Kelly would seem to have the highest reputations, but could be question marks over Keith's pace and Kevin's size. Some talented hurlers mentioned above but no one who I would think will make a massive impact. But that could have been said about Conor Fogarty and maybe Padraig Walsh this time last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Kkboy wrote: »
    I presume that Joey Holden, Willie Phelan, Brian Kennedy and Michael Walsh will be tried out during the Walsh Cup/National league again. Its hard to see them displacing the backs who started the replay but obviously they will be needed in case of injuries. Then maybe Geoff Brennan, JonJo Farell, Mark Kelly will get further chances to prove themselves. Walter Walsh needs to find a consistent run of form but has shown that he can be a threat at intercounty level when at his best. Beyond last years panel, I suppose Keith Hogan and Kevin Kelly would seem to have the highest reputations, but could be question marks over Keith's pace and Kevin's size. Some talented hurlers mentioned above but no one who I would think will make a massive impact. But that could have been said about Conor Fogarty and maybe Padraig Walsh this time last year.

Ger Aylward is another who is due another shot, he was rather unlucky with injuries last year. Joe Lyng and maybe David Glynn of the Boro too

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Ger Aylward is another who is due another shot, he was rather unlucky with injuries last year. Joe Lyng and maybe David Glynn of the Boro too
    Yeah id imagine Joe Lyng will get a run. Of this years under 21's Tom Aylward, Robert Lennon, Mark Mansfield and Jack Langton would appear to be the best options, hard to see any of them making the team next year, maybe worth trying them out in the Walsh Cup. Most of our best prospects after that would be aged 20 or younger next year, we have had two strong minor teams over the last two years, and next years minors are highly rated too I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

From Hoganstand
    Kilkenny Under 21 manager Michael WalshFormer Kilkenny goalkeeper Michael Walsh has joined new Westmeath hurling manager Michael Ryan’s backroom team.

Walsh’s involvement as team coach is seen as another coup for the midlanders who appointed former Waterford manager Ryan as their new boss last month. Ryan’s selectors are Pat Clancy (Brownstown), Eddie Casey (St. Oliver Plunkett’s) and John Kennedy (Lough Lene Gaels).

During a successful playing career, Walsh followed in his famous father Ollie’s footsteps by winning All-Ireland medals in 1992 and ’93. He also scooped two All Star awards and three Leinster championship medals.

He managed the Carlow senior hurlers before taking charge of the Kilkenny U21s for three years (2008 to ’11). More recently, he has managed Ireland in the shinty/hurling international series.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

I know it is not a strictly Kilkenny team but Good Counsel College in New Ross won the under 16 All Ireland Hurling A over the weekend with 6 of the players coming from Kilkenny which is a great achievement. Hopefully we will see a few of them on the minor team in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

blackwave wrote: »
    I know it is not a strictly Kilkenny team but Good Counsel College in New Ross won the under 16 All Ireland Hurling A over the weekend with 6 of the players coming from Kilkenny which is a great achievement. Hopefully we will see a few of them on the minor team in the next few years.

And dont forget the brilliant Declan Wall I mentioned him all last week in my preview on the cork thread

Mullinvat coach won intermediate leinster title last week

Young top top coach with kilkenny development squads
    Should be minor manager some day
    Tomas o Connor seen him twice v athenry and midelton he's awesome and will be kilkenny minor this year imo as well as hennessey also

Yere minor top scorer all ireland minor championship last year was very good ul in beaten team In all ireland fresher league final tonight by ucc, the very own brilliant Alan Murphy

I am very surprised this thread in particular had no coverage or build up to good counsel win with a strong kilkenny connection

• Advertisement

only 6 on good counsel team. wexford hurling must be on the way up finally then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

I hear David Franks is training Carrickshock next year after retiring from playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

How are Ballyhale set for the match on Sunday??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

kala85 wrote: »
    How are Ballyhale set for the match on Sunday??

Off the drink since Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

but sure its only a matter of turning up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

So a Kilkenny Leinster double the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

deadybai wrote: »
    So a Kilkenny Leinster double the weekend?

There's hardly Interprovincial Hurling on at this stage of the year?

There's hardly Interprovincial Hurling on at this stage of the year?

Bennettsbridge and Ballyhale Shamrocks are playing in the Leinster Junior and Senior finals. Mullinavat are playing in the Leinster Intermediate quarter final too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Bennettsbridge and Ballyhale Shamrocks are playing in the Leinster Junior and Senior finals. Mullinavat are playing in the Leinster Intermediate quarter final too.

Mullinavat won the Leinster final 2 weeks ago. It's the All Ireland quarter final they are playing this weekend

Mullinavat won the Leinster final 2 weeks ago. It's the All Ireland quarter final they are playing this weekend

Meant to say All Ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Jj has retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Retirement Statement J J Delaney

"I wish to announce that I am retiring from the Kilkenny senior hurling panel. I have enjoyed my time being part of such a talented group of players and management teams. I wish to thank Brian Cody and his selectors for allowing me to play hurling at the highest level. I also thank the Kilkenny county board for their support on and off the field. Thanks to The GPA they been a great help to my development in both my sporting and professional career. 

My father, family, close friends and my girlfriend Aisling have been a huge source of encouragement and support to me over the years. I thank my club The Fenians, my former teachers and various coaches for instilling in me a love for the greatest field game in the world. It's been amazing the encouragement the Kilkenny supporters have given me down through the years and for this I thank you all.  I am grateful to my employer Kingspan Insulation for their support.

I wish the Kilkenny senior hurling panel and management team continued success in the future."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Ah sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 37 tmkly

Probably the hardest pill to swallow yet. Would have thought he had another year or two left.

He must feel with the other members who have retired, that going out now with lads his age and on a high, that it is the right time

What a career! Amazing in the air, and a solid at full back. Would love to have seen him play more at left half.

That block on Callanan in the replay this year will stand out most. Incredible piece of defending!

Wish him all the best in the future. I'll be making sure I go to a few more Fenians games next year!

The other retirements were sad, but this one is both sad and a disaster. He has been one of the great defenders of this or any era. He'd normally be a once in a generation player, but he happened along when there were three "once" in a generation players all on the one team (Tommy and Henry are the other two) along with a great supporting cast. An absolute genius of a wing back, and when Hickey retired, did an excellent job at full back without which we would definitely not have won the AI this year (one of several we wouldn't have without him).

But it's not just sad like with Tommy. Tommy had drifted off the starting team and was probably done, really. Without JJ the practical question of who is going to stand in at full back arises? The boots might be too big to fill.

But now I suppose the main thing is to pay tribute to him, unbelievable player. Cody used to say that when they picked the team, the first name on the sheet was always JJ. On that team, under that manager, that's some compliment. I don't think anything needs to be added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Now this is bad news, he was still at the top of his game, and there is no replacement..

An outstanding player in every way, that finished on a high note..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Thats a big blow for us. The best defender we had during Cody's reign, he is going to be hard to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

fúck.

• Advertisement

this is a disaster. There was no need for either Hogan or Delaney to retire. Hard to see us surviving the recent haemorrhage. Cody's magic is probably on the wane therefore.

Walsh and Delaney were the best hurlers I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Delaney and Walsh were probably best hurlers I've ever seen. If shefflin follows suit then we are witnessing the end of an era in Kilkenny hurling that may never be repeated. In years to come we will consider ourselves fortunate to have witnessed it first hand. I'm thankful that modern technology allowed us to document it so well so there can never be a question of just how great they were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

unrealtime wrote: »
    this is a disaster. There was no need for either Hogan or Delaney to retire. Hard to see us surviving the recent haemorrhage. Cody's magic is probably on the wane therefore.

Walsh and Delaney were the best hurlers I have ever seen.

Perfect time for them to go, I dont get this disaster nonsense. They owe us nothing, we owe their families for all the entertainment we've got off them.
    If we didnt win another all Ireland in the next 10 years the memories these guys have given us will keep me happy.
    This generation will still be talked about in 100 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

2 best wing backs I have seen.

Who are ye looking at for a replacement now? It's highly likely I imagine that it will be a make shift option.. Joyce, Tyrell??

Perfect time for them to go, I dont get this disaster nonsense. They owe us nothing

Couldn't have put it better myself. Better for JJ to go out now at the top rather than suffer the indignity suffered by the others this season. While JJ was an incredible hurler (his ability under the high ball was the best I've ever seen) there are plenty of hurlers in KK ready to step up. I don't know what happened him but I haven't seen a better full back in the club scene than John Dalton over the last couple of years. I haven't seen a lot of him but I've also been impressed with Tom Aylward. Given his own experience in the position I have every confidence that Cody will unearth a more than able successor.

After the replay final I stayed in Croke Park until all the players had walked off the pitch. JJ was the last as far as I remember. I wonder if he had already decided by then to retire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I think the real disaster is to have a dressing room without all that leadership and experience. I was confident if JJ stayed on this year we would have a very good chance of seriously challenging for the AI.

As has been said they owe us nothing and we've been privileged to have seen some of the best hurlers of all time play for our team. If you were in a dressing room and you'd taken Tommy Walsh or Brian Hogans place you would feel 10 foot tall and hurl like you were on fire to make sure you stayed on the team. To hurl against those kind of brains and skills in training every night is going to bring a young player on no end. To be able to ask them for advice and for them to be so generous and give it so freely is going to be impossible to replace.

With the very real prospect of Henry going as soon as Ballyhale finish we'll have had 3 of our best ever hurlers retire in the one go along with a great keeper, CB and forward. It's the heart of our defence and the heart of our team. Players like Jackie, Michael Fennelly, Richie Hogan, TJ, Richie Power, Larkin, Joyce, P Murphy all need to step up and be the leaders and to help the younger lads adapt but to push them as well.

Our biggest problem now and has been since Hickey retired is to find a proper FB. We could well do with Tom Aylward soon but it looks like Mullinavat will be hurling till March. I wonder has David Glynn been called in or any other FB's. Joyce could do the job and Michael Walsh did ok in every game I've seen him play early last year but I'm not 100% convinced yet. I can't see Jackie moving back there but I could be wrong and I wouldn't like to see Paul Murphy there as he's to prone to going to the ball and if he misses at FB the FF is in for a certain goal not that he can't change but it's in his nature to attack the ball.
    There are interesting times ahead for the seniors.

A sad day for Kilkenny hurling but and absolute legend and I'm delighted I got to see him hurl all he's Kilkenny career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

J DEERE wrote: »
    Delaney and Walsh were probably best hurlers I've ever seen. If shefflin follows suit then we are witnessing the end of an era in Kilkenny hurling that may never be repeated. In years to come we will consider ourselves fortunate to have witnessed it first hand. I'm thankful that modern technology allowed us to document it so well so there can never be a question of just how great they were

if walsh wasnt around delaney would be the outstanding hurler around. that walsh comes first speaks volumes of both of them as hurlers.

i always think shefflin was messi and delaney and walsh were iniesta and xavi such was there influence on match days.

those three hurlers were the standouts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

It's going to be sad not seeing JJ's name on the team sheet next year but my god what a player he was, unbelievable under the high ball. Always felt at ease having him at full back he was always in the right spot at the right time.
    The greatest defender I have seen.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0512141352-jj-delaney-a-career-in-pictures/

What a career! Hard to believe hes only 32. Hes been around for ever.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0512141352-jj-delaney-a-career-in-pictures/

What a career! Hard to believe hes only 32. Hes been around for ever.

Great set of photos!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Is it pretty much a given that JJ will go this year lads do you think. All signs point towards it no?
    :(

I'm trying to prepare myself for any more retirements :(
    Who else might retire .... Henry, Larkin and Jackie?

I'm trying to prepare myself for any more retirements :(
    Who else might retire .... Henry, Larkin and Jackie?

Don't be giving them ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Did Tyrell not already commit? Thought I read something to that affect. I don't really see the point in Shefflin saying, certainly for on-field purposes. I don't think there is that much he can contribute at that level anymore (I'm not aware of any 35 year old forwards that have in recent memory so there's no shame).

I also get the feeling the mindset we've had in Waterford of keeping someone a la Tony Browne around to bring on the young lads wouldn't be shared in Kilkenny, particularly given a lot of the lads that come in tend to be 22/23 anyway. Be surprised if he stays on. Can't see Larkin retiring.

Did Tyrell not already commit? Thought I read something to that affect.

Yeah he said after the replay final that he would be playing in 2015.
    But his thoughts could be swayed with all the other lads retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I'm from Tipp and as such I've always kept a close eye on Kilkenny. Ye have lost some of the best hurlers this generation has seen and it's sad to see the end of such astounding careers.

But one that puzzles me is JJ. He was nowhere near the end of his career. He was 32, still as deadly as most of the KK panel and after the last season, still a major contender to play in any game against any team..

As an "outsider" my views might be slightly skewed but am I right in what I just said? Was he really as good as I'm making him out to be or was his reputation greater than his performance.

Or (tin foil hat time) is there a bit of disharmony amongst the Kilkenny staff. I don't believe that for one second but shur why not throw it out there anyway ;);)

Regardless, I'm looking forward to our counties battles next year. Which, if nothing else, will be different..

After the replay final I stayed in Croke Park until all the players had walked off the pitch. JJ was the last as far as I remember. I wonder if he had already decided by then to retire.

To answer my own thoughts, JJ has said on the RTE news this evening that he had decided this time last year, that 2014 would be his last season.
    “I wasn’t happy the way it finished up with me, personally [in 2013]. I just wanted to give it one big drive, regarding diet, gym work, fitness, first touch, everything as best as I possibly could and see what happens after that.
    “I did all the work, and if we’d been beaten in the first round, or beaten in the Leinster final, or in the All-Ireland semi-final, I still would have left happy, knowing I did give it one last crack, and put everything into it.”

5 minute interview with him on the RTE website here.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

GerB40 wrote: »
    I'm from Tipp and as such I've always kept a close eye on Kilkenny. Ye have lost some of the best hurlers this generation has seen and it's sad to see the end of such astounding careers.

But one that puzzles me is JJ. He was nowhere near the end of his career. He was 32, still as deadly as most of the KK panel and after the last season, still a major contender to play in any game against any team..

As an "outsider" my views might be slightly skewed but am I right in what I just said? Was he really as good as I'm making him out to be or was his reputation greater than his performance.

Or (tin foil hat time) is there a bit of disharmony amongst the Kilkenny staff. I don't believe that for one second but shur why not throw it out there anyway ;);)

Regardless, I'm looking forward to our counties battles next year. Which, if nothing else, will be different..

Ya I think he really was THAT good...best defender imo to grace the game!! Btw dont be so cocky that Tipp will meet kilkenny next year, apart from in the league there is no guarantee ye will meet!!

In fairness to JJ, he is 32 and being playing pretty much non stop since 2001 and owes kilkenny absolutely nothing!! The sacrifices it takes to play at that level and the commitment required is phenomenal. Personally I think its always great so go out on a high having just bagged an All Ireland and All star - much better to go out on his own terms!

Was he really as good as I'm making him out to be or was his reputation greater than his performance.

Here's how good he was: ;)

Honours
    9 All-Ireland SHC (2002-03, 06-09,11, 12, 14)
    10 Leinster SHC (2002-03,’05-11, 14)
    8 NHL (2002-03, 2005-06, 09,11, 13, 14)
    5 Walsh Cup (2005-07, 09,12)
    1 Hurler of the Year (2003)
    7 All-Star (2003-04, 2006, 2008,2010, 12, 14)
    2 Railway Cup (2006, 2008)
    1 All-Ireland U21HC (2003)
    1 Leinster U21HC (2003)
    1 Leinster MHC (1999)
    1 Kilkenny U21HC B (1997),
    2 Fitzgibbon Cup (2003-04) 2 Leinster VS SHC (Coláiste Mhuire)

You wish. Were lads unhappy to be dropped or not selected? Hope so. Any guy who's happy keeping the bench warm isn't much of an addition to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

donnem33 wrote: »
    Ya I think he really was THAT good...best defender imo to grace the game!! Btw dont be so cocky that Tipp will meet kilkenny next year, apart from in the league there is no guarantee ye will meet!!

In fairness to JJ, he is 32 and being playing pretty much non stop since 2001 and owes kilkenny absolutely nothing!! The sacrifices it takes to play at that level and the commitment required is phenomenal. Personally I think its always great so go out on a high having just bagged an All Ireland and All star - much better to go out on his own terms!

I said "I'm looking forward to it", doesn't mean it'll happen. Believe me when I say I'm not cocky, I'm the eternal realist which by my definition makes me a pessimist :)

JJ was a joy to watch (against other teams) and I honestly wish himself and his fellow retirees the best. They often broke my heart but they exemplified the passion and commitment hurling entails. I love our national sport and folks like JJ are the perfect ambassadors for it..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement