Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Nice little season opener for the boys when they come back from Miami:

Walsh Cup - Tuesday 20 Jan 2015 - 7.30 pm Ballyragget KK V NUIG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

When you say make a call on a foul, do you mean give them a whistle? Or just allow them to bring it to the ref's attention when the ball goes dead? No problem with the latter, the former absolutely not.

As for a second ref, Jaysus one is bad enough ;-)
    Well at intercounty games their all mic'd up to eachh other anyway so a quick word would do it. Say in later stages of Club competitions where you have all refs involved a raising a flag to get the refs attention should be the way. It's up to the actual game ref to make the final call but it would be much like rugby where they notify the ref and he decides what to do. I know a few refs and they would love this as it would give them much more help particularly in big games.

Well at intercounty games their all mic'd up to eachh other anyway so a quick word would do it. Say in later stages of Club competitions where you have all refs involved a raising a flag to get the refs attention should be the way. It's up to the actual game ref to make the final call but it would be much like rugby where they notify the ref and he decides what to do. I know a few refs and they would love this as it would give them much more help particularly in big games.

Didn't Barry Kelly more or less get Browne sent off for Clare Vs Wexford last year in the replay? From memory Browne was on a yellow and had been blown for a 3rd subsequent foul when Kelly called it to the attention of Johnny Ryan who duly sent him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

my point been that ballyhale are a good bit from kilkenny city they are nearly waterford than kilkenny city, didn't they all go to school in waterford and king henry was born in waterford. its a good drive from ballyhale to tullamore

no vast majority went to St Kierans & Ballyhale Vocational school, prob good few born in Ardkeen hospital tho

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

When are kilkenny back in action for the Walsh cup. Will it be an under 21 panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

robwen wrote: »
    no vast majority went to St Kierans & Ballyhale Vocational school, prob good few born in Ardkeen hospital tho

Imagine, Henry could have played for Waterford!

You're half right :)

Ferrybank is in county Kilkenny! Waterford stole part of it. If you look on any proper Irish map you will see the county of Kilkenny borders right down to the Suir's edge. Waterford County Council developed that side and claimed it as part of Waterford. The Train Station and all of the Port side (Ferrybank) are actually originally in County Kilkenny. Part of Ferrybank has been claimed as being part of Waterford for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    Ferrybank is in county Kilkenny! Waterford stole part of it. If you look on any proper Irish map you will see the county of Kilkenny borders right down to the Suir's edge. Waterford County Council developed that side and claimed it as part of Waterford. The Train Station and all of the Port side (Ferrybank) are actually originally in County Kilkenny. Part of Ferrybank has been claimed as being part of Waterford for years.

I was talking about Ferrybank GAA team.

I was talking about Ferrybank GAA team.

Yes, Ferrybank G.A.A. team play in the Waterford and Munster Club Championships. Abbey CC school, Ferrybank plays in the Leinster VEC competitions.

Cistercian College Roscrea play in the Leinster Colleges Championships because the Monastery is actually just inside the Offaly border. Moneygall, County Offaly play in the Tipperary County and Munster Club Championships because the G.A.A. pitch is in County Tipperary. About half of the town of Moneygall see themselves as Offaly people and the other half see themselves as been Tipperary people, even though most live in the town in County Offaly. I played in a challenge match there against Moneygall once and I asked the fella I was marking just at the end of the match and walking of the pitch if he was from Offaly or Tipperary and who did he support? He said he was from Offaly, but supported Tipperary! Confused or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Damian Hayes has packed it in with Galway

• Advertisement

Hitchens wrote: »
    Damian Hayes has packed it in with Galway

Yes, a good servant to Galway. Another fine Galway hurler not to win an All-Ireland medal. Will we be saying they same about Joe Canning in the next 6-8 years at the age of 32 or 34?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Yes, a good servant to Galway. Another fine Galway hurler not to win an All-Ireland medal. Will we be saying they same about Joe Canning in the next 6-8 years at the age of 32 or 34?
    Damien was some player alright, as is Joe. I'd like to see him pick one up (as long as it's not at our expense) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

Yes, Ferrybank G.A.A. team play in the Waterford and Munster Club Championships. Abbey CC school, Ferrybank plays in the Leinster VEC competitions.

Cistercian College Roscrea play in the Leinster Colleges Championships because the Monastery is actually just inside the Offaly border. Moneygall, County Offaly play in the Tipperary County and Munster Club Championships because the G.A.A. pitch is in County Tipperary. About half of the town of Moneygall see themselves as Offaly people and the other half see themselves as been Tipperary people, even though most live in the town in County Offaly. I played in a challenge match there against Moneygall once and I asked the fella I was marking just at the end of the match and walking of the pitch if he was from Offaly or Tipperary and who did he support? He said he was from Offaly, but supported Tipperary! Confused or what?

the moneygall people were all offaly in the early 80's when offaly were winning all irelands and tipp were sh.t. i remember the town or village was cover in offaly flags in 1982 after offaly stopped kerrys drive for 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Hitchens wrote: »
    Damien was some player alright, as is Joe. I'd like to see him pick one up (as long as it's not at our expense) :D

But it would be ;) two teams can't win an AI!

Dicksboro 1-16 Thomastown 3-10

Thomastown score two late goals to earn a replay against the Boro. The Town assisted by the breeze were ahead at half time. The Boro came into it in the second half and built up a 6 pt lead. They were apparently cruising to victory until the two late goals which brought the crowd (predominantly Town fans) to life. The 'Boro had a couple of point scoring chances after to no avail. Best for the Boro were the likes of Doheny, Kenny, Cody. Apologies to any Town fans but I didn't have a programme so can't list names. There were some great performances from the central spine of the team. Replay next Sun 1.30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Good entertainment in the Park considering the conditions yesterday. On the balance of things Dicksboro were the stronger of the two teams but Thomastown hadn't played a match for a month and fought back well. They were 6 points up approaching half time but one of the best goals I have seen in the Park in a while for the Boro put 3 in it at the break which left Thomastown with a lot to do considering they would play against the breeze. Full back and Centre back for the Boro were outstanding, the full back was lording it until Tucker O Hanrahan came on, although it was clear Tucker wasn't right and he didn't score it give the full back someone to mark and have to worry about meaning he didn't hurl as much ball. It will be important to get on the pitch for Thomastown the next day but you would still fancy the Boro to get over the line. Great freetaking for Michael Donnelly and Gaffney yesterday also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

^^^^
    That can now be the end of the geography debate :D

a bit unfair on the Down club having to travel the lenght of ireland and killmallock just down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Coogee

When will the draws for the Kilkenny Club senior and intermediate leagues 2015 be made?

Any word on who is managing what club this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

a bit unfair on the Down club having to travel the lenght of ireland and killmallock just down the road.

I'd travel to Malin Head in Donegal if it meant playing in an AI semi-final, never mind the spiritual home of hurling.

It would be a bit like the Antrim lads giving out about playing the U21 final in Thurles a few years ago, just be happy you made it that far to have the privilege of playing in such a big game with the opportunity to go further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

randd1 wrote: »
    I'd travel to Malin Head in Donegal if it meant playing in an AI semi-final, never mind the spiritual home of hurling.

It would be a bit like the Antrim lads giving out about playing the U21 final in Thurles a few years ago, just be happy you made it that far to have the privilege of playing in such a big game with the opportunity to go further.

And sure aren't they only a weaker county anyway. The cheek of them. Did ya ever hear the bate of it ?

Seriously though, I think your post is a bit on the thoughtless side. A bit dismissive.

well if killmallock had to go to belfast to play the semil there would be war over it. won't matter anyway Ballyhale will win it out :D

From kilkennygaa.ie:

The death has occurred of Sean Tyrrell long serving member of James Stephens GAA Club. Sean played with the club in the 1950's and was a powerful corner back and team captain when the Village won the county junior title in 1955. He went on to captain Kilkenny to the All Ireland Junior title in 1956. Following his playing career Sean devoted his life to the administrative side of th GAA. He was the club's county board delegate for half a century until he stepped down in 2008. Although rooted in the James Stephens Club Sean's family continue to play an active role in all three city clubs. Click on read more below for a further tribute from James Stephens Club. Kilkenny GAA extends its sincere sympathy to the Tyrrell family. Ar Dheis Dé go raibh sé. The draws for the J J Kavanagh & Sons Football leagues have been deferred to 9.15pm in Nowlan Park on Friday night.

Click HERE for funeral arrangements from RIP.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

And sure aren't they only a weaker county anyway. The cheek of them. Did ya ever hear the bate of it ?

Seriously though, I think your post is a bit on the thoughtless side. A bit dismissive.

Its not being dismissive at all, I'm all for helping out the weaker counties when you can.
    But you would think that a club side capable winning their province shouldn't be too bothered about where they play the SF. As I said its a privilege, no matter what county your from.

Besides, Thurles is pretty much central to other three clubs involved on the day as well, they would have be taken into consideration when staging a double header.
    Thurles, Tullamore or Croke Park are the only real options for a double header, getting to Tullamore would take nearly as long as getting to Thurles for Portaferry, never mind the other three clubs, while an empty Croke Park wouldn't do the atmosphere, or potential crowd, any favours.

Thurles was the logical choice, especially as it would be about 3 and half hours down the motorway from Portaferry, pretty much the same amount of time as Tullamore is with the roads there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Its not being dismissive at all, I'm all for helping out the weaker counties when you can.
    But you would think that a club side capable winning their province shouldn't be too bothered about where they play the SF. As I said its a privilege, no matter what county your from.

Besides, Thurles is pretty much central to other three clubs involved on the day as well, they would have be taken into consideration when staging a double header.
    Thurles, Tullamore or Croke Park are the only real options for a double header, getting to Tullamore would take nearly as long as getting to Thurles for Portaferry, never mind the other three clubs, while an empty Croke Park wouldn't do the atmosphere, or potential crowd, any favours.

Thurles was the logical choice, especially as it would be about 3 and half hours down the motorway from Portaferry, pretty much the same amount of time as Tullamore is with the roads there.

A reasoned reply, and thanks to you for taking the time to do it. We'll just have to agree to disagree !

Dicksboro 5-9 Thomastown 0-10

They say that goals win games. That statement was certainly borne out today when Dicksboro coasted to a facile win in the replay against Thomastown today.

It started off nip and tuck with both teams popping up for scores when the game was turned on it's head in the 13th minute. Gaffney was awarded a yellow for retaliation after taking an innocuous looking slap to the back of the hand. After the resulting throw-in, the ball broke to his assailant who took off down the line, new stand side. Gaffney and another Boro man tackled the 'Town player who went to ground. Ref blew for a free and had what can only be described as a brain fart. He gestured that Gaffney had struck the 'Town player and flashed a yellow then a red. I was further away than the ref and could see that no such foul had taken place. The 'Boro support already on his back for perceived bias were incensed. The 'Boro were down to 14 for 3/4 of the game. At the time it appeared that this would finish the game for the 'Boro.
    Instead though of favouring the 'Town the sending off galvanised the 'Boro who moved up a gear no more so than the likes of Darragh Holohan who got the first Boro goal, a soft one from a speculative shot from 50 yds out. 17 year old Robbie Murphy who having threatened the Town goal twice before the sending off got in for a kicked goal. Kevin Kenny finished off the goal scoring in the first half with a goal in the corner from a misplaced short puck out. Incredibly the HT score was Boro 3-7 Town 0-5.
    The second half was no kinder to the Town who conceded two more goals to Holohan and Fitzpatrick. What was remarkable in that second half was the free taking or lack thereof from the 'Boro. It appeared that once Gaffney went off there was nobody else on the team who could take a free. I would estimate that they were awarded approx. 5 scoreable frees and 4 65's and scored none of them. On another day that would have been the story.

Going on today's display it's hard to believe that these two teams couldn't be separated the last day such was the gulf in quality. I'm hard pressed to give any of the Town players a mention so abject was their performance. On the Boro side those already mentioned were praiseworthy. I would add to that list Evan Cody who looks better every time I see him play. This guy will surely get the call from his name sake very soon. Other notables were Doheny at midfield and Farrell, a lively replacement for R Fitzpatrick.

MOTM for me was the lively Murphy who was the best forward on view and caused the 'Town all sorts of trouble from the off. His touch was a bit off at times but given his age he has huge potential.
    Footnote: by my reckoning 13 of the 'Boro team are underage again next year.

Dicksboro by far the better team and has some excellent performers, really impressed with Evan Cody both weeks looks to have pace and plenty of hurling, boro were strong all over and with the teams they are producing they are going to be a real force.

The referee had no choice but to send off Gaffeny though, it was a complete rush of blood to the head and although the boro were hard done by on numerous occasions it was right decision. Retaliation was stupid and then to tackle like that 30 seconds later was crazy.

From Kilkennygaa.ie:
    In the interest of player and spectator safety the Bord na Móna Walsh Cup game Kilkenny v NUIG scheduled for Ballyraggett on Tuesday night has been deferred to Friday night at the same venue with an earlier throw in time of 7pm. This will mean that Kilkenny will have two games over the weekend with Dr Cullen Park being the venue for the next round with Carlow the opposition on Sunday at 2pm. Patrons attending the game on Friday evening are asked to be aware of the traffic disruption in Durrow due to ongoing roadworks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Eoin Murphy is home from Australia also, was there for a few months.

• Advertisement

Any indication whether it will be an under 21 panel or will they senior guys get a run out. Most likely two different teams considering there is two matches in three days.

^^^^
    That can now be the end of the geography debate :D

I said it would be Portlaoise or Thurles. And more likely Thurles.

the moneygall people were all offaly in the early 80's when offaly were winning all irelands and tipp were sh.t. i remember the town or village was cover in offaly flags in 1982 after offaly stopped kerrys drive for 5

I remember that passing through in the 80's.

Tipp still are! :P

True, that game should be played in Tullamore or Navan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sad news about Lester's father.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Kilkenny have withdrew from the Walsh Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Kilkenny withdraw from Walsh Cup after bereavement

Kilkenny withdraw from Walsh Cup after bereavement
    Kilkenny have pulled out of the Walsh Cup as a mark of respect to the late Johnny Ryan, father of current All-Ireland winning captain Lester.

Johnny Ryan died in a farmyard accident this morning.
    His son Lester was at the farm at the time.

The Cats were scheduled to play against NUI Galway on Friday and meet Carlow on Sunday.
    Carlow will now play NUI Galway in a play-off in Fenagh on Friday at 7pm.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2015/0121/674636-kilkenny-pull-out-of-the-walsh-cup/

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Horrendous news. Sympathies to his family and friends. May he Rip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Dreadful tragedy. God support their family.

May He Rest In Peace!

• Advertisement

sad news indeed R.I.P.

Such a tragic week for Kilkenny. I believe the young man that fell into the river is a relation of Jackie Tyrell and Tommy Walsh? Of course you also had such tragedies in the past with James Mcgarry's wife and the sister of Michael Kavanagh.

Condolences to Lester Ryan and the family :( Farm accidents are always really tragic and especially given the years of experience the man probably had in farming. It just goes to show how fragile life is.

Very sad news, thoughts are with the Ryans, May he rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Pudders wrote: »

Jesus Christ that's awful. Terrible week, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭larrya

Ballyhale playing Cork in a challenge at 1.30 in wit grounds tomorrow,for anyone looking for a bit of hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

larrya wrote: »
    Ballyhale playing Cork in a challenge at 1.30 in wit grounds tomorrow,for anyone looking for a bit of hurling.

I had this cork thread yesterday and during week but didn't post it here as since awful tragedy of lester Ryan father(rip) I noticed thread went understandbly quite so I didn't want post til posting started again

Though game was two??

Will ballyhale play full strength team??
    Played London club team over Xmas and wit challenge last Sunday so gearing up for gort

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭larrya

1.30 as far as I know.

They also played dcu and Down.Think they will be full strength except for one or two.Only 2 weeks to gort game

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

Anyone know how the Senior Panel is shaping up. Ive heard the following names who have been called up, Keith Hogan(Clara), Kevin Kelly, Stephen Staunton(Ballyragget), Padraic Gahan and Ger Malone(MVAT)

• Advertisement

good win for Bennttsbridge today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement