Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Browney7 wrote: »

Are they changing the advantage to give the ref time to go back for a free if the advantage turns to nothing? If so that's a very welcome move!

Yeah, we had a ref who actually just did that anyway in a match, and wouldn't hear of it when people were criticising him for it. Strangely enough it worked very well, even if he was basically rewriting the rule book to suit himself (or had been watching a bit too much rugby lately and forgot that he's meant to be enforcing the actual rules, not the rules he wishes were in place!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yeah, we had a ref who actually just did that anyway in a match, and wouldn't hear of it when people were criticising him for it. Strangely enough it worked very well, even if he was basically rewriting the rule book to suit himself (or had been watching a bit too much rugby lately and forgot that he's meant to be enforcing the actual rules, not the rules he wishes were in place!)

Gotta love the refs who make up the rules. Could have been an undercover member if the hurling development committee!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I think most hurling people would agree with this but a problem with letting the game flow is that quite often the "advantage" is to give the free from within 60 yards of the goal because most free takers are comfortable with this range and should be scoring. It makes for a crap stop start affair though. Theres no real advantage letting a guy take 4 more steps (seems to be what refs do now) and hit a pressurised 50,50 ball in to the forwards but satisfies "letting the game flow". In fairness to refs theyre damned either way!

I agree that refs aren't best served by the current advantage rule because as you say they're criticised regardless of whether they blow or not. I think most IC hurlers now have the tackle down to a fine art and know how far they can push it when advantage is given.

Are they changing the advantage to give the ref time to go back for a free if the advantage turns to nothing? If so that's a very welcome move!

That's my understanding. Pretty sure it was spelled out in Sheedy's hurling review recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

MassDeb8r wrote: »
    Not sure that you mean - Kevin Kelly scored 1-3 yesterday for Carlow IT. He started corner forward and played the whole game against Maybooth.

Yeah, he was a late change. But didn't start last week against WIT or in the league final before Christmas. Was wondering if there was a reason for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

We're missing 13 from last years panel for the Cork game.

5 retirements
    Tommy
    Herity
    Hogan
    Taggy
    JJ

5 Ballyhale lads
    Colin
    Mick
    TJ
    Henry
    Joey

3 injured
    Larkin - groin surgery a few weeks ago apparently
    John Power - ?
    Richie Power - ?

Lester is available

So that leaves a very inexperienced team.

I would assume something like
    Murphy
    Murphy Joyce Jackie
    Lyng Buckley Kennedy
    Fogarty Lester
    P Walsh R Hogan K Hogan
    K Kelly Wally JJ Farrell

Not much experience on the bench.
    Mark Kelly
    Joe Brennan
    Geoff Brennan
    Tomas Keogh
    Willie Phelan

Also we got a new jersey yesterday with no collar for the first time I can remember anyway. With black fading to Amber in small dots at the bottom of the torso and Amber to black on the sleeves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Padraig Walsh isn't playing with UL at the moment, possibly something to do with the family tragedy so would imagine he won't be playing with Kilkenny this weekend.

John Power has played for UCC in both their last two games so he will be available for Kilkenny at the weekend. Would have thought the side might be a bit more experimental though than the one suggested above looks? There was a fair few changes made for the Clare game last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There appears to be a bit of mystery about John Power's fitness!

As Mountainlad said, he played Fitzgibbon cup yesterday for UCC.

But in today's Examiner, Cody is quoted as saying, when outlying KK's injuries, that John Power has had a hernia operation.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Amazing how with all those injuries and retirements that KK team still looks quite strong to me. If Padraig Walsh and John Power were available I'd almost favour ye despite the 1/2 favourites odds on Cork to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Brian Cody From Irish Times

"We’ve always spoken about our panel and players came in there over the years that in many people’s eyes were not destined to become serious players, but they turned out to be serious players.

“He doesn’t have to be the absolute full package but he can develop as a team player, and he can find out exactly what he has to offer. The fundamentals that we require are there with all the players.”

How many times have we seen this with Brian Cody and it really is what makes him the best manager of this or any generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Lads lets be honest here. We will be doing well if we avoid relegation this year. This is a brand new team for the league. We also missed pre league games due to two tragedies. We are in a bad position for the league. Main aim would be to blood a few new players and avoid a few hiding s from the likes of Tipp and Clare.
    Sorry for the pessisism I just think we need to be realistic here

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Lads lets be honest here. We will be doing well if we avoid relegation this year. This is a brand new team for the league. We also missed pre league games due to two tragedies. We are in a bad position for the league. Main aim would be to blood a few new players and avoid a few hiding s from the likes of Tipp and Clare.
    Sorry for the pessisism I just think we need to be realistic here

The way the league is structured, every team is lucky to avoid a relegation battle. There's nothing between the teams any year, a couple of close defeats at the start and you're already in trouble. We need to bring in new players anyway, and I am sure there'll be a few gems. We might well struggle, but I wouldn't be unusually pessimistic. I still think we'll make the quarter finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Even if Kilkenny were to somehow to come 5th or 6th, I would fancy them in a relegation play-off over anyone pretty much. They might struggle at the start but I'd still see ye having enough to get a couple of wins and make the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Semi-finals coming up in the Leinster Post-Primary Senior Hurling with 3 out of 4 teams having many Kilkenny connections .

St Kierans play Good Counsel New Ross , with Kieran's brother Darragh Joyce captain and centre-back for GC , and another of their best players is Ciaran O Connor from Glenmore along with other Kilkenny guys .

Borris VS play St Peters Wexford , in the other semi , with some of the Borris team from Black/ Whites / Young Irelanders Gowran

Borris v St Peters is on Saturday at 2pm and St Kierans v Good Counsel is on Saturday 21st Feb

Padraig Walsh isn't playing with UL at the moment, possibly something to do with the family tragedy so would imagine he won't be playing with Kilkenny this weekend.

John Power has played for UCC in both their last two games so he will be available for Kilkenny at the weekend. Would have thought the side might be a bit more experimental though than the one suggested above looks? There was a fair few changes made for the Clare game last year.

Is Padraig Walsh still in UL? Was at the NUIG-UL match a couple of weeks ago and they had 33 players listed on the program and his name didn't feature.

• Advertisement

We're missing 13 from last years panel for the Cork game.

5 retirements
    Tommy
    Herity
    Hogan
    Taggy
    JJ

5 Ballyhale lads
    Colin
    Mick
    TJ
    Henry
    Joey

3 injured
    Larkin - groin surgery a few weeks ago apparently
    John Power - ?
    Richie Power - ?

Lester is available

So that leaves a very inexperienced team.

I would assume something like
    Murphy
    Murphy Joyce Jackie
    Lyng Buckley Kennedy
    Fogarty Lester
    P Walsh R Hogan K Hogan
    K Kelly Wally JJ Farrell

Not much experience on the bench.
    Mark Kelly
    Joe Brennan
    Geoff Brennan
    Tomas Keogh
    Willie Phelan

Also we got a new jersey yesterday with no collar for the first time I can remember anyway. With black fading to Amber in small dots at the bottom of the torso and Amber to black on the sleeves.

Is Lester available? Doesn't appear to be according to the KP. Farrell is also injured. I believe Aylward is back from his travels so he'll be there also.

Heard the team tonight will be
    E Murphy
    T Keogh, P Murphy, J Tyrrell
    B Kennedy, K Joyce, C Buckley
    L Ryan, C Fogarty
    P Walsh, W Wally, M Ruth
    Kelly, JJ Farrell, R Hogan

Not sure weather it's Kevin or Mark Kelly.

Lester is available according to Cody in paper the other day.

E Murphy
    L Ryan, C Fogarty
    P Walsh, W Walsh, ? Kelly
    AN Other, JJ Farrell, R Hogan

Not sure weather it's Kevin or Mark Kelly and I can't remember who was corner forward.

If you're right, all eyes on Murphy at full back. Would be a great comfort if he is able to do a job there.

I'd be fairly confident it won't be far off given who I heard it from.

It would be great if he could do the job for us there although I'd fairly worried about his love for attacking high ball in front of his man that won't work against a top forward.

Just remembered that Matty Ruth is in for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That's pretty much a full strength side given who's fit and available to play.

Saturday 14 February: Cork v Kilkenny .... I expect KK to dust off the cobwebs as best they can but Cork should have too much for us.

Sunday 22 February: Kilkenny v Dublin .... Given this is a home match, and there are some tough games to come, KK will need to win this and they should.

Sunday 8 March: Galway v Kilkenny ..... Joe Canning will probably still be injured, but Galway could end up playing more as a 'team' and as a result, play better. A tight match that could go either way I think.

Saturday 14 March: Tipperary v Kilkenny .... It's a cliché, but Tipp will be looking for some sort of revenge, and I expect them to edge KK in Thurles.

Sunday 22 March: Kilkenny v Clare ... A win could put KK into the play-offs, and a loss into relegation. Either way, it's unlikely that the match will be a dead rubber. Too hard to call this one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 scalascala

Jackie gone now too!!!

Just remembered that Matty Ruth is in for a start.

At corner forward?

I don't want to sound harsh, but we must be stuck. I mean, I like his work rate but he's clearly not inter-county standard and has been trying for about four years at this stage. Surely time to give someone else a chance?

(As per always with a Cody selection, I am open to being proven wrong and hope that I am)

No wing forward sorry if I typed it wrong, but even still I wouldn't have great confidence in him given his displays for the Village at the end of last year.

No wing forward sorry if I typed it wrong, but even still I wouldn't have great confidence in him given his displays for the Village at the end of last year.

Have to agree, surely the likes of Kevin Kelly, Chris Bolger and Joe Brennan would be worth a run?
    And what is the story with John Power? Fit enough to play for UCC but not us?!

E Murphy
    L Ryan, C Fogarty
    P Walsh, W Wally, M Ruth
    Kelly, JJ Farrell, R Hogan

Not sure weather it's Kevin or Mark Kelly.

Fair dues - straight from the horses mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

I heard Joe Brennan is gone off the panel . The team is not to bad on paper considering the amount of lads that are missing . Not much experience on the bench . Great opportunity for the new guy s . Roll on Saturday !!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

I heard Joe Brennan is gone off the panel . The team is not to bad on paper considering the amount of lads that are missing . Not much experience on the bench . Great opportunity for the new guy s . Roll on Saturday !!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

On paper it looks like hard times ahead in this league !! On the other hand its a great chance for the new guys to stand up and leave their mark. No all Ireland's won in Feb...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

At corner forward?

I don't want to sound harsh, but we must be stuck. I mean, I like his work rate but he's clearly not inter-county standard and has been trying for about four years at this stage. Surely time to give someone else a chance?

(As per always with a Cody selection, I am open to being proven wrong and hope that I am)

I have to agree with everything you said there. Matt Ruth has been given plenty of chances and hes simply not good enough. Id probably say likewise with Farrell too, no doubting his workrate but hes just not good enough either. I would rather give someone younger and new the chance like the other forward players on the bench like the Brennans, Kevin Kelly, Keith Hogan, Ger Malone etc. No point persevering with lads who have shown next to nothing in the chances they have been given

• Advertisement

Miall108 wrote: »
    I have to agree with everything you said there. Matt Ruth has been given plenty of chances and hes simply not good enough. Id probably say likewise with Farrell too, no doubting his workrate but hes just not good enough either. I would rather give someone younger and new the chance like the other forward players on the bench like the Brennans, Kevin Kelly, Keith Hogan, Ger Malone etc. No point persevering with lads who have shown next to nothing in the chances they have been given

Dont b complaining already. Were in transition and missing a hell of a lot of top players for various reasons. We had no preparation for the league. I'm sure by may things will look a lot different

pat 22 wrote: »
    Dont b complaining already. Were in transition and missing a hell of a lot of top players for various reasons. We had no preparation for the league. I'm sure by may things will look a lot different

No ones complaining Im being realistic here. No point in having new faces there if their not going to be given chance instead of persevering with lads who have been given far too many chances to impress and havent done so. Matt Ruth has been there 4 years or so and has showed nothing and likewise with the club of late. Surely its time to give someone else a go. Perfect time to do so with so many top players missing

No ones complaining Im being realistic here. No point in having new faces there if their not going to be given chance instead of persevering with lads who have been given far too many chances to impress and havent done so. Matt Ruth has been there 4 years or so and has showed nothing and likewise with the club of late. Surely its time to give someone else a go

I won't argue with u but its a toss up isn't it. Only difference I see is matt Ruth is prob more experienced than the lads u mentioned. It can't b easy for management at the moment. I wudnt b panicking yet. I'm sure them lads will get their chance too at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

Kilkenny team confirmed to play Cork is as follows:

E Murphy,
    T Keogh, P Murphy, J Tyrrell,
    B Kennedy, K Joyce, C Buckley,
    C Fogarty, L Ryan,
    P Walsh,W Walsh ,M Ruth,
    M Kelly, JJFarrell,R Hogan.

Subs:
    Darren Brennan St Lachtains
    Willie Phelan Dunnamaggin
    Michael Walsh Young Irelands
    Shane Prendergast Clara
    Geoff Brennan St Patricks
    Joe Lyng Rower Inistioge
    Padraig Gahan Mullinavat
    Bill Staunton St Patricks
    Ger Malone Mullinavat
    Keith Hogan Clara
    Kevin Kelly St Patricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

MassDeb8r wrote: »
    Kilkenny team confirmed to play Cork is as follows:

E Murphy,
    T Keogh, P Murphy, J Tyrrell,
    B Kennedy, K Joyce, C Buckley,
    C Fogarty, L Ryan,
    P Walsh,W Walsh ,M Ruth,
    M Kelly, JJFarrell,R Hogan.

Subs:
    Darren Brennan St Lachtains
    Willie Phelan Dunnamaggin
    Michael Walsh Young Irelands
    Shane Prendergast Clara
    Geoff Brennan St Patricks
    Joe Lyng Rower Inistioge
    Padraig Gahan Mullinavat
    Bill Staunton St Patricks
    Ger Malone Mullinavat
    Keith Hogan Clara
    Kevin Kelly St Patricks

Is anyone else surprised to see Richie Hogan back in the corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭letowski

Thats quite a decent team despite the injuries. A good league can be determined more by unearting players or finding best positions for players (Buckley good example) than coming 1st. I think that will be Codys main objective, finding a long term #3 and #6 and building depth after the 5 leaving. Most have league titles anyway. Kk should be fine imo anyway, think yell win in rounds 2 and 3.

He hasn't shot the lights out up to now, but last year was a bit of write off due to injury. At least give Ruth the benefit of the doubt - this match hasn't even been played yet. Given all the absences, the panel is going to be used meaning every player will get a crack. Also with said absences, Cody doesn't have the luxury of not picking the best players available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Who is going to take your placed balls lads? I can understand Hogan being moved up as Lester can only really play midfield in my opinion.

Who is going to take your placed balls lads? I can understand Hogan being moved up as Lester can only really play midfield in my opinion.

With no TJ, Henry, Larkin or Richie Power, Richie Hogan looks like the only option with Joyce on the long range ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Not a bad team to be fielding given the circumstances and for the first round of the league.

No surprises with Murphy being tried at full back, since JJ's announcement I thought that'd be the logical step to take.

Overall I'd be happy enough with the backs but I'm not so sure about the forwards. No disrespect to Wally but I'm failing to see why Cody continues to persevere with him, I'm really hoping I'll be proven wrong this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

Richie Hogan is one of the best free takers in the game i would have no worries here.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Any links for the match tomorrow night?

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Not a bad team to be fielding given the circumstances and for the first round of the league.

No surprises with Murphy being tried at full back, since JJ's announcement I thought that'd be the logical step to take.

Overall I'd be happy enough with the backs but I'm not so sure about the forwards. No disrespect to Wally but I'm failing to see why Cody continues to persevere with him, I'm really hoping I'll be proven wrong this year.

To be fair Wally has shown his quality many times at Inter County level just consistency he has lacked at times. Id much rather give someone a chance who has shown in the past they can play at this level than someone who cant and has constantly disappointed at every opportunity they got ie: Ruth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Can't wait for this year to finally be underway. Not expecting much in this league owing to retirements and absentees, but if they lads can get a few results and get to the QF's I'll be happy as it'll show we have the panel strength again this year.

Best of luck to the lads tonight, it's not the strongest Kilkenny side ever, but I'm sure it'll be competitive. And you never know, there's still some top quality there, so a positive result is not anywhere near an impossibility.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Any links for the match tomorrow night?

Yeah but am I allowed post them here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

justbored wrote: »

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

robwen wrote: »
    Yeah but am I allowed post them here?

Could you PM me as well? can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

someone pm me please

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement