Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

citykat wrote: »
    I still don't see why anybody would get worked up about this. It took me about 5 mins to read and I didn't think any more about it. Nothing new, move on. I'm surprised at somebody going to the bother of posting a caustic review on a Kilkenny GAA forum. There has to be more to life surely.
    I wouldn't be expecting Pulitzer prizewinning stuff from somebody whose whole life experience is essentially as an inter county GAA player. There is a place though for ex players in sports writing. Maybe leave the travel writing to others in future...;)

Indeed, the reaction to this article has been astounding.

Just to comment on one piece - "the children hurling in the street"

A number of years ago, within the 2000's, a teacher moved our from Waterford City to Mooncoin and had ambitions for setting up a school choir - Primary School.

A colleague met her some moths later and asked how the choir plans were advancing; "not a hope" was the reply, even the little girls only want to hurl at the breaks.

Make of the story what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

piuswal wrote: »

A number of years ago, within the 2000's, a teacher moved our from Waterford City to Mooncoin and had ambitions for setting up a school choir - Primary School.

A colleague met her some moths later and asked how the choir plans were advancing; "not a hope" was the reply, even the little girls only want to hurl at the breaks.

You can imagine what would happen if she went into a hurling stronghold... like KK city ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Because I like to read interesting material rather than 'harmless' material; pieces that 'won't offend' anyone because they are so anodyne.

WELL DON'T READ IT THEN ! ! !
    I really don't accept the argument that he continually cites his lack of knowledge of hurling as a mitigating factor. In my view given that this was acknowledged at the outset he really needed to pull something out of the locker to make it worthwhile. Unfortunately he does not appear to have the writing skills or imagination to compensate for writing about a topic outside his area of knowledge.

Yaah, yaah, totally. Sean Rocks wants you on Arena to talk about it.
    Ultimately it's a question of the standards you expect I suppose.

Discernment. Cultivate it for yourself.
    I came across this only through the link here. Presumably there are people here who lap this stuff up on a regular basis and think it's grand.

Here and elsewhere, no doubt. Without any need of your condescension.
    I happen to think that when 'harmless' and 'won't offend anyone' are the recurring interpretations of a piece of writing then it was a waste of time.

No it wasn't. People enjoyed it in their undemanding way, and so what ? Pleasure always has a utility and not everyone has a Melvyn Bragg complex like yourself.
    Any piece of writing some have some kind of edge. This one was as edgy as a marshmallow.

Yaah, yaah. Totally.
    I am sure, as I have said before, that if the subject matter was otherwise people would see the article for the pointless ramble that it is.

People are just enjoying it, basking in it. It isn't the New York Review of Books and no sane person would put those parameters on it. It's really none of your business, actually.
    But sycophancy and flattery opens many doors.

But you won't be fooled. Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Comerman

Is the minor game not being televised??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian017

Comerman wrote: »
    Is the minor game not being televised??

Only the AI SFs and Final are ever televised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Comerman

Brian017 wrote: »
    Only the AI SFs and Final are ever televised
    Cheers Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Can't believe ye guys are being wound up by that clown the power, seriously wondering why I come on here.
    Alot if posters lost credibility here and you know who u are ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

piuswal wrote: »

Not sure about the connection between this story and children hurling in the street to be honest. Kids will always take the easy option. They will always choose some sport over 'boring stuff' (The challenge with girls especially is always the dropout rate in the teenage years) Almost any primary school kid will give PE as the highlight of their week because they get to run around the place which is their natural instinct. Chances are in a primary school in Mooncoin they are not going to go surfing or do Mandarin classes during break. Kids go with the pack.

What I find interesting about this post are two things: 1) the sense of boastfulness - you'd never get someone from the dominant camogie counties of Galway, Wexford or Cork telling a story like this even though they must have fairly serious take-up in that sport, and 2) the tendency to make a virtue of apparent cultural limitation which masks the fact that sheer lack of choice and alternative opportunity is an important factor in the activities of rural children (and indeed urban kids in disadvantaged areas).

As it happens I know of a very decent school choir in the town of Kilkenny so the Okies have not quite captured Muskogee yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

pat 22 wrote: »
    Can't believe ye guys are being wound up by that clown the power, seriously wondering why I come on here.
    Alot if posters lost credibility here and you know who u are ...

Poor old 'Fed up sick and tired' appears to have gone into meltdown right enough!!! :D

Powerhouse's point were well made though. Far from a clown I'd say. Look at the evident intellectual intimidation in the replies to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Anyone any ideas on what might be the starting fifteen against Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone any ideas on what might be the starting fifteen against Galway?

I'd go with the same starting fifteen that was named to play Wexford, i.e. I'm assuming Colin Fennelly is fit again.

I'd go with the same starting fifteen that was named to play Wexford, i.e. I'm assuming Colin Fennelly is fit again.

Yeah I don't think John Power did enough to displace him, or Walter Walsh for that matter. Of course the interesting question is whether Joey Holden can contain Joe Canning. I'm still not sure about the long term solution at full back, not sure it's Holden though. But I do think he'll keep him in check.

Yeah I don't think John Power did enough to displace him, or Walter Walsh for that matter. Of course the interesting question is whether Joey Holden can contain Joe Canning. I'm still not sure about the long term solution at full back, not sure it's Holden though. But I do think he'll keep him in check.

I think Holden may struggle with Canning, and he may get a goal or two. But I'd start with Holden at full-back again in the next match, regardless if we beat Galway or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I think Holden may struggle with Canning, and he may get a goal or two. But I'd start with Holden at full-back again in the next match, regardless if we beat Galway or not.

To be honest, Canning will give most full backs problems - that's a given although it all depends where Galway play him with Glynn and Mannion providing much more of a threat now. I'd be confident in the Cat's own ability to see them through. It'll be a good test and the bench could be the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Canning looks very sharp this year and may actually live up to the hype, If I was a Galway man though I would be far more concerned about the other end of the field, both Tannion and Hanbury are no where near inter county standard and KK should rip them apart.

If Fennelly is fit and available its surely Walter Walsh thats vunrable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mankbag

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Because I like to read interesting material rather than 'harmless' material; pieces that 'won't offend' anyone because they are so anodyne.

I really don't accept the argument that he continually cites his lack of knowledge of hurling as a mitigating factor. In my view given that this was acknowledged at the outset he really needed to pull something out of the locker to make it worthwhile. Unfortunately he does not appear to have the writing skills or imagination to compensate for writing about a topic outside his area of knowledge.

Tomas's contribution to the media is his unrivalled GAA DNA, a great career and likeability, and unfortunately not the broad bank of knowledge and allusion, or even colour-writing skills that might salvage a decent piece of writing from that acknowledged lack of savvy in relation to the basic topic. Going on about young lads hurling in the street. What was he expecting in Kilkenny? A Crip Walking competition?

Ultimately it's a question of the standards you expect I suppose. I came across this only through the link here. Presumably there are people here who lap this stuff up on a regular basis and think it's grand. I happen to think that when 'harmless' and 'won't offend anyone' are the recurring interpretations of a piece of writing then it was a waste of time. Any piece of writing some have some kind of edge. This one was as edgy as a marshmallow. I am sure, as I have said before, that if the subject matter was otherwise people would see the article for the pointless ramble that it is. But sycophancy and flattery opens many doors.

Interesting that someone could get so worked up about an article on a sport nobody plays. What part of Tipperary are you from again?

danganabu wrote: »
    Canning looks very sharp this year and may actually live up to the hype, If I was a Galway man though I would be far more concerned about the other end of the field, both Tannion and Hanbury are no where near inter county standard and KK should rip them apart.

If Fennelly is fit and available its surely Walter Walsh thats vunrable?

I dunno, Walter was first brought in to the starting fifteen to do a number on Coen, his style of play seems to suit playing against Galway. Might do well in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Looks like colin will be available for sunday,will lester or rice be available?another big test sunday for joey hopefully he does okay,I'd be hopefull our fowards can do enough damage but both team's have being putting up big scores so hopefully a good match with the cats to shade it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Thats my worry too. I think Joey may struggle big time when he comes up against the marquee forwards like Canning who are superb in the air and will beat him all day long. Its going to be a real test for him

Id be hoping to see Michael Rice on the bench for this match. Provided hes fully match fit, hes a brilliant sub to turn to. Im wondering if things with Joey were starting to go pear shaped at full back later on in the summer, could we turn to Joyce to move back and Mick Fennelly to move to Centre with Rice filling the midfield spot presuming hes fit and can get back to the sort of form we know he possesses. Only risk there is the likes of Canning would have Joyce for pace all day long.

As for Power and Walter, neither are justified starters the next day so Id imagine Fennelly will be back in there all day long. In fact Walter has struggled for a while. I think he really needs to up it before he loses his place on the panel which I think could be a possibility down the line if he doesnt start producing the goods. John Power has all the talent but he doesnt impose himself enough for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

rIce on the bench be great for morale also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Joey Holden is big and fast and no bad hurler. He will do fine on Sunday. JJ was not to fast last year and a few times it showed. His hurling sense got him out of a lot of potential problems. No way is Joe a faster player than Joey. Unless great ball and it will have to be great ball for Canning to impose himself because he is never going to win a sprint with Joey.

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Thats my worry too. I think Joey may struggle big time when he comes up against the marquee forwards like Canning who are superb in the air and will beat him all day long. Its going to be a real test for him

Id be hoping to see Michael Rice on the bench for this match. Provided hes fully match fit, hes a brilliant sub to turn to. Im wondering if things with Joey were starting to go pear shaped at full back later on in the summer, could we turn to Joyce to move back and Mick Fennelly to move to Centre with Rice filling the midfield spot presuming hes fit and can get back to the sort of form we know he possesses. Only risk there is the likes of Canning would have Joyce for pace all day long.

As for Power and Walter, neither are justified starters the next day so Id imagine Fennelly will be back in there all day long. In fact Walter has struggled for a while. I think he really needs to up it before he loses his place on the panel which I think could be a possibility down the line if he doesnt start producing the goods. John Power has all the talent but he doesnt impose himself enough for me.

I think Joey will do ok on Canning. After last year's drawn game when we allowed Tipp to create too many good goal chances, a plan was put in place in the replay to block and clog up the central belt and cut down of the goal chances. That's what won the All Ireland in my opinion. I'd say this will be part of the plan again this year - a system to limit the goal chances that the opposition, whoever it may be, create. Galway thrive on goals also and if given the chances they can put 4 or 5 in the net and that's what makes the difference.

Just saw this on Kilkenny website also. Good opportunity to see the lads.

Senior Hurling training on Wednesday & Friday(7pm) will be open to the public. Admission to Ardan De Gras only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tannian was man of the match in an All-Ireland final. Fair to say he's an intercounty standard hurler. He may not be at 6 though where it'd be fair to say he's quite loose.

Tannian was man of the match in an All-Ireland final. Fair to say he's an intercounty standard hurler. He may not be at 6 though where it'd be fair to say he's quite loose.

Yeah I meant in their respective positions, Tannion has ability no doubt but for intercounty centre back he is far too loose and has zero positional sense.

Michael Rice named at Centre Forward for the Kilkenny Intermediate Team tomorrow night.

Doesnt look as though he will be playing Sunday so

Michael rice is a intresting selection tomorrow evin on the intermediate team,it will be great practice for him and hopefully bring him up to speed,mixture of youth and experience on the team with a lot made up of u25 which is the way it should be,suprised the two blanchfields are on it with the u21 leinster final next week

I thought the Kilkenny intermediates couldn't use senior club hurlers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Martin567

I thought the Kilkenny intermediates couldn't use senior club hurlers?

I presume Michael Rice didn't play any senior club hurling in 2014, due to injury. That would make him eligible.

Same as kevin nolan and andy kearns

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    I presume Michael Rice didn't play any senior club hurling in 2014, due to injury. That would make him eligible.

Yeah I asked a mate and he said it only applies to players who played senior last year. I know tipp decided to abandon that rule, do cork still follow it?

Yeah I asked a mate and he said it only applies to players who played senior last year. I know tipp decided to abandon that rule, do cork still follow it?

Yeah its still in place in Cork, Tipp had no real choice after the let the farcical situation develop whereby we had 32 Senior clubs, there was no one left to play intermediate!

Yeah its still in place in Cork, Tipp had no real choice after the let the farcical situation develop whereby we had 32 Senior clubs, there was no one left to play intermediate!

Yeah crazy situation, has to be ultimately detrimental to both levels to let that situation develop. Typical gaa situation, where the best interests of the association, or the county, or whatever, end up tagging a back seat to the best interests of smaller units. The democracy of the gaa was a major factor in its early success but it can seriously hinder it at times in sui many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Yeah crazy situation, has to be ultimately detrimental to both levels to let that situation develop. Typical gaa situation, where the best interests of the association, or the county, or whatever, end up tagging a back seat to the best interests of smaller units. The democracy of the gaa was a major factor in its early success but it can seriously hinder it at times in sui many ways.

I dunno. I don't see a major problem with this. How many counties enter teams in the the IC anyway? I don't think any other county sees this grade as anything other than a minor league for the senior championship and treats it as such. Fair dues to MR. At his age, 31 - a year younger than Tommy Walsh, he's effectively starting out all over again. I wish him the best.

citykat wrote: »
    I dunno. I don't see a major problem with this. How many counties enter teams in the the IC anyway? I don't think any other county sees this grade as anything other than a minor league for the senior championship and treats it as such. Fair dues to MR. At his age, 31 - a year younger than Tommy Walsh, he's effectively starting out all over again. I wish him the best.

I want really referring to the intermediate inter county, but to the quality of the intermediate club competition and more importantly the senior county championship. Ultimately, I think their county championship structure has been detrimental to tipp in general.

Best of luck to Michael Rice this evening.

There will be updates on @KilkennyCLG
    Extra-time will be played if the teams are lever after full-time.

Here is the KK team and backroom staff for the match:

1 Kevin Nolan Clara
    2 Eoin Moriarty- Emeralds
    3 Pauric Gahan -Mullinavat (capt)
    4 Sean Phelan - Lisdowney
    5 Andy Kearns -O Loughlins
    6 Owen Mcgrath - John Lockes
    7 Luke Harney -Kilmacow
    8 Johnny Hayes -Kilmacow
    9 Kevin Blanchfield - Bennettsbridge
    10 Liam Blanchfield -Bennettsbridge
    11 Michael Rice - Carrickshock
    12 Billy Ryan - Graigue Ballycallan
    13 Ger Malone -Mullinavat
    14 Rory Hickey - Lisdowney
    15 Shane Donnelly -St Lachtains

16 Richie O Neill - Kilmacow
    17 Ciaran Doyle - Barrow Rangers
    18 Niall Doherty -Galmoy
    19 Michael Malone -Mullinavat
    20 J P Treacy - Young Irelands
    21 Michael Moloney - Blacks &Whites
    22 Paul Rockett -Slieverue
    23 Paul Holden - Young Irelands
    24 Brian Cahill -Cloneen

Manager - Pat O Grady
    Trainer - Sean Mangan
    Selectors - Paschal Connolly, Joe Walsh, Willie Blanchfield
    Physio - Teresa McGinn

Galway team:

1 James Skehill
    2 Colm Flynn
    3 Darra O'Donoghue
    4 Sean Sweeney
    5 Paul Flaherty
    6 Darragh Burke
    7 Shane Cooney
    8 Kevin Mc Hugo
    9 Dean Higgins
    10 Eamon Brannigan
    11 James Regan
    12 Eanna Burke
    13 Brian Molloy
    14 Conor Whelan
    15 Shane Moloney

Yeah best of luck to the whole team of course, but all eyes will be on rice. He has come a tough road to try and get back to senior, now at an age where a lot of his generation are bowing out. It's a major reminder of how easily a career can disappear, and how narrow the window of opportunity really is. Would be absolutely fantastic to see him play for Kilkenny again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Does anyone here know if there are any Hill tickets left for Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

deadybai wrote: »
    Does anyone here know if there are any Hill tickets left for Sunday?

Don't think the Hill will be open on Sunday, €20 tickets will be for the Davin stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Don't think the Hill will be open on Sunday, €20 tickets will be for the Davin stand.

Oh right thought it would be because it was last year. Suppose we were playing The Dubs. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

deadybai wrote: »
    Oh right thought it would be because it was last year. Suppose we were playing The Dubs. Cheers!

This match should be on in Tullamore anyway

Capacity Tullamore > 1/3 full Croker.

Even better put Munster/Leinster politics aside and bring it to Thurles!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

This match should be on in Tullamore anyway

Capacity Tullamore > 1/3 full Croker.

Even better put Munster/Leinster politics aside and bring it to Thurles!

Yeah, and play the Munster Final in Dr. Cullen Park or Nowlan Park!

Galway should be playing in Munster to strengthen Munster hurling.

Talking to a few Wexford men after the Kilkenny/Wexford match, and they sounded very aggrieved that Galway has been hoisted on Leinster, further reducing their chances of getting through to a Leinster Final.

Of course Kilkenny are not only dominant in Leinster, but over the Munster counties as well.

O'Connor Park in Tullamore has a capacity of ~20,000. It's probably just slightly too small for a KK-Galway Leinster final. There will probably be close to 25,000 at the match on Sunday.

Intermediate result:
    Galway 3-22 KK 1-17

Based on the Twitter feed of the scoring, the turning point in the game was in the last 10 minutes of the first half when Galway scored 3 goals.

Yeah best of luck to the whole team of course, but all eyes will be on rice. He has come a tough road to try and get back to senior, now at an age where a lot of his generation are bowing out. It's a major reminder of how easily a career can disappear, and how narrow the window of opportunity really is. Would be absolutely fantastic to see him play for Kilkenny again.

Hes too good a hurler not to provided he sticks around and starts producing the goods in training.

He got 3 pts from play in the first half tonight and was replaced near the end of the game

• Advertisement

Training last night involved just a puck around and some drills as expected.Richie power and christopher bolger were doing sprints on there own and seemed to be moving okay which is fantastic news probably won't make the panel sunday but hopefully the next match.lester also took part in training and great to hear michael rice got through the match ok and hopefully be a option later in the year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Yeah, and play the Munster Final in Dr. Cullen Park or Nowlan Park!

Galway should be playing in Munster to strengthen Munster hurling.

Talking to a few Wexford men after the Kilkenny/Wexford match, and they sounded very aggrieved that Galway has been hoisted on Leinster, further reducing their chances of getting through to a Leinster Final.

Of course Kilkenny are not only dominant in Leinster, but over the Munster counties as well.

I'm from Wexford and despite misgivings at the start (which I disagreed with then too) I have never heard since any complaints that Galway are the team that reduce our chances of getting to the Leinster final. Wexfords chances are reduced because they arent good enough. And who cares about getting to a final if you have no hope? Galway have nothing to do with Wexfords lack of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

as far as I recall Wexford voted against Galway coming in to Leinster. Kilkenny voted for it -surprisingly.

It would be a big surprise if a young and inexperienced KK were to beat Galway on Sunday. More than half the KK players are younger than Joe Canning and KK have just lost players with almost half a century of All Stars between the.

We live in hope though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

unrealtime wrote: »

It would be a big surprise if a young and inexperienced KK were to beat Galway on Sunday.

I'd say you must be easily surprised,

Young and inexperienced? Most of that team have 3 all ireland medals, some have them have twice that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Paddy Power agree with Kilkenny 2/5 and Galway 5/2 for anyone wanting to put money where there mouth is .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement