Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

unrealtime wrote: »
    as far as I recall Wexford voted against Galway coming in to Leinster. Kilkenny voted for it -surprisingly.

It would be a big surprise if a young and inexperienced KK were to beat Galway on Sunday. More than half the KK players are younger than Joe Canning and KK have just lost players with almost half a century of All Stars between the.

We live in hope though.

Dear god what "yerra yerra" nonsense is this.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clashoftheash

Guys would i be right in saying that the full back line is the most vulnerable on Sunday, or do you think thers is another area we should be worried about?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Guys would i be right in saying that the full back line is the most vulnerable on Sunday, or do you think thers is another area we should be worried about?

We have 2 of the best corner baks in the game so I wouldn't class our full back line as vulnerable.

The key battle is obviously Joe v Joey

Followed by Richie V Tannion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

unrealtime wrote: »
    as far as I recall Wexford voted against Galway coming in to Leinster. Kilkenny voted for it -surprisingly.

It would be a big surprise if a young and inexperienced KK were to beat Galway on Sunday. More than half the KK players are younger than Joe Canning and KK have just lost players with almost half a century of All Stars between the.

We live in hope though.
    What a load of guff. If you honestly believe Galway are favourites then head on down to your local bookies and throw the house on us at 5/2 or whatever it is.

You're All Ireland champions, ye have demolished Wexford and you're playing historically the most inconsistent team of the last 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

We have 2 of the best corner baks in the game so I wouldn't class our full back line as vulnerable.

The key battle is obviously Joe v Joey

Followed by Richie V Tannion.

Galway could easily put Johnny Glynn in full forward and try replicate what he did to Padraic Maher against Tipp last year.

KK dont have too many weaknesses but full back and centre back are two suspect areas. Yes Joyce got man of the match in the all ireland last year - but that was only his second game last year after he got destroyed by Galway in the leinster semi

This match should be on in Tullamore anyway

Capacity Tullamore > 1/3 full Croker.

Even better put Munster/Leinster politics aside and bring it to Thurles!

Disagree.
    People shouldn't be unable to attend due to unavailability of tickets.
    These two teams sold out Tullamore last year and there was well over 10k from Galway at the Dublin game there this year.

Tullamore can only hold 20k, it's about 10k short of what's needed.
    Portlaois can hold a few more but again not enough.

Until a 30k seater pops up in Leinster then Croke Park will have to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd much prefer a situation where the ground is full than where it is at less than 50% capacity. There are plenty of grounds in Leinster capable of hosting this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'd much prefer a situation where the ground is full than where it is at less than 50% capacity. There are plenty of grounds in Leinster capable of hosting this game.

Nowlan park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Disagree.
    People shouldn't be unable to attend due to unavailability of tickets.
    These two teams sold out Tullamore last year and there was well over 10k from Galway at the Dublin game there this year.

Tullamore can only hold 20k, it's about 10k short of what's needed.
    Portlaois can hold a few more but again not enough.

Until a 30k seater pops up in Leinster then Croke Park will have to do.

See above.

It'll draw a ~30k crowd. Which means there isn't a stadium in Leinster that'd cover it.

Thurles would be ideal but wouldn't be in the Leinster Council's benefit to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nowlan park?

Forgot about Nowlan!

Ye're good enough without having home advantage :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

donnem33 wrote: »
    Galway could easily put Johnny Glynn in full forward and try replicate what he did to Padraic Maher against Tipp last year.

KK dont have too many weaknesses but full back and centre back are two suspect areas. Yes Joyce got man of the match in the all ireland last year - but that was only his second game last year after he got destroyed by Galway in the leinster semi

Paudie Maher isn't a good full back so that's not a good metric to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

cson wrote: »

Thurles would be ideal but wouldn't be in the Leinster Council's benefit to go there.

Ah here now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I would prefer a ground that is full also, as long as every fan has been accommodated.

But as gilberto_eire and cson pointed out, what grounds are there in Leinster capable of hosting this game? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So we have to acocmodate every single fan that may decide they'd go to the game? Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Portlaoise would easily hold 27K, surely enough for a game like this. Kilkenny v Galway in Tullamore a few years ago only 16K showed up, not sure Portlaoise would even be full.

I'd also be perfectly happy with a home and away arrangement with Galway.

Even Thurles would be too big for this game. Croke Park should be used for games in excess on 40-50K I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

How many expected to attend sunday?

So we have to acocmodate every single fan that may decide they'd go to the game? Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Portlaoise would easily hold 27K, surely enough for a game like this. Kilkenny v Galway in Tullamore a few years ago only 16K showed up, not sure Portlaoise would even be full.

Even Thurles would be too big for this game. Croke Park should be used for games in excess on 40-50K I would say.

If the Leinster final was in Portlaoise, you'd have a lot more people from KK attending, so it would be very close to be sold out (in my opinion).

But by the sounds of it you would be happy with the match being sold out, whether it is in Portlaoise, Nowlan Park or Pearse Stadium Salthill. But what if you couldn't get a ticket because of this??

Galway would be more than happy with a home and away arrangement as well but we're not allowed to play games in Galway.

If the Leinster final was in Portlaoise, you'd have a lot more people from KK attending, so it would be very close to be sold out (in my opinion).

But by the sounds of it you would be happy with the match being sold out, whether it is in Portlaoise, Nowlan Park or Pearse Stadium Salthill. But what if you couldn't get a ticket because of this??

I don't know I'd probably change my tune and demand the match be moved to Croke Park, declaring it's a farce that it is not on in Croke Park.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite really.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Galway would be more than happy with a home and away arrangement as well but we're not allowed to play games in Galway.

Are they not allowed or have they not managed to convince other counties to enter into agreements?

They should be allowed home games to be honest.

• Advertisement

Are they not allowed or have they not managed to convince other counties to enter into agreements?

They should be allowed home games to be honest.

I think it is out of Galway's hands.
    The GAA have stated that Leinster matches must be played in Leinster even if Galway (or Antrim, or now Kerry) are the home team.

I think it is out of Galway's hands.
    The GAA have stated that Leinster matches must be played in Leinster even if Galway (or Antrim, or now Kerry) are the home team.
    Kerry are hardly going into Leinster are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

One of the best matches from a Kk viewpoint was the qualifier against Tipp in 2013, a packed out Nowlan Park, don't think too many were turned away. Playing Wexford in Wexford Park in 2011 had a great atmosphere, far better than playing these games at a neutral venue. I think home and away is the way to go until you get to the finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Lads,
    How is everyone feeling about Sunday? what is the team and do you think we will win?

blackcard wrote: »
    One of the best matches from a Kk viewpoint was the qualifier against Tipp in 2013, a packed out Nowlan Park, don't think too many were turned away. Playing Wexford in Wexford Park in 2011 had a great atmosphere, far better than playing these games at a neutral venue. I think home and away is the way to go until you get to the finals

Oh I agree with you completely about taking turns having the matches at home venues. There is a way better atmosphere as you said (Tipp in Nowlan Park was epic).

I just think that if there is silverware on the line, it's unfair on supporters if they can't get a ticket because the neutral venue is too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

Be doing well if 20k turn up for this should be on portlaoise effs, better atmosphere etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Same team as originally named for Wexford match, Colin Fennelly starting, John Power on bench. No surprise with that team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

blackcard wrote: »

Agreed, the atmosphere in the Park that night was something else. Never seen anything like it in my life.

The drawn Galway game last year in Tullamore certainly was certainly up there too especially those last 20 minutes when we powered clear after Tommy Walshs introduction only to be pegged back in the last couple of minutes and then to top it off with that shoot out between Henry and Joe Canning. Class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

donnem33 wrote: »

As I said before, most important thing is too seal off the central channel with the half backs tucking in when opposition running through with the ball. Seal the central area and slow things down. Just look at the replay of the All Ireland last year...Tipp created less clear cut goal chances than the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

cson wrote: »
    See above.

It'll draw a ~30k crowd. Which means there isn't a stadium in Leinster that'd cover it.

As of Thursday night there was only 19k tickets sold which is low and traditionally there isn't a last-minute rush so we might at a push get 25k. I hope I'm wrong and a huge crowd turn up because I think it will be a cracker on the hurling front the problem will be the crowd will sound as if their shouting from the bottom of a well.

As of Thursday night there was only 19k tickets sold which is low and traditionally there isn't a last-minute rush so we might at a push get 25k. I hope I'm wrong and a huge crowd turn up because I think it will be a cracker on the hurling front the problem will be the crowd will sound as if their shouting from the bottom of a well.

Out of interest, how did you know there were 19k tickets sold as of Thursday night?

• Advertisement

Out of interest, how did you know there were 19k tickets sold as of Thursday night?

Was talking to someone who was selling the tickets this morning (Friday that is)

The only thing KK need to worry about this year is what way to drive back to Kilkenny after winning Liam McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clashoftheash

Orizio wrote: »
    The only thing KK need to worry about this year is what way to drive back to Kilkenny after winning Liam McCarthy.

You'd have to admire that optimism :)

You'd have to admire that optimism :)

In assuming orizio isn't from Kilkenny, that's really more of a cork way of talking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

Is that in total from both sides. Love going to croke park. Wouldn't have it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Minors are unchanged for tomorrow. A win here would have them in the AI semi finals and once there they could take some stopping. So far there does not seem to be an outstanding team in Munster. While it might not be the flashiest Kilkenny team, it will still take a very, very good minor team to beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Minors are unchanged for tomorrow. A win here would have them in the AI semi finals and once there they could take some stopping. So far there does not seem to be an outstanding team in Munster. While it might not be the flashiest Kilkenny team, it will still take a very, very good minor team to beat them.

Minors are a funny age group - highly unpredictable so anything can happen. Good sign that the same team has been named though. It shows faith in the players and good for continuity.

CATwalk wrote: »
    Is that in total from both sides. Love going to croke park. Wouldn't have it anywhere else.

That was a total figure at that point while there are many that will decide this morning I don't think it will be enough to garner 30k to croker. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

Buses are sold out from Galway. Alot of talk about it. I expect there to be a 40k crowd.

I've heard Mick Fennelly is out injured. Back spasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

I've heard Mick Fennelly is out injured. Back spasm.

I`ve heard the same but that he has a bug. Will Lester Ryan come in or Richie Hogan drop back & maybe John Power come in?? Either way a very big blow to KK

robwen wrote: »
    I`ve heard the same but that he has a bug. Will Lester Ryan come in or Richie Hogan drop back & maybe John Power come in?? Either way a very big blow to KK

Power to come in supposedly

Richie Hogan in midfield and John Power to start. Mick Fennelly is a massive loss. Absolutely massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

The word on the street is vomiting bug and power to replace him and richie midfield I tough lester or mark kelly could start without upsetting the fowards,absolute huge huge loss

Richie Hogan in midfield and John Power to start. Mick Fennelly is a massive loss. Absolutely massive.

Yes it'll reduce your winning margin from 15 to 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Leinster Minor Hurling Final - Half Time

1 - 07 Kilkenny
    0 - 08 Dublin

Apparently, its a very tough and physical game between the two. Kilkenny sound the better side.

There's supposed to be a decent amount of rain after falling.

Some of the shooting from the minor team is brutal.

40 Minutes;

1 - 12 Dublin
    1 - 10 Kilkenny

50 Minutes;

1 - 14 Dublin
    1 - 13 Kilkenny

Kilkenny with three scores in a row, sound like we're getting on the ball a bit more now. According to the lads on the radio Dublin running themselves into the ground, and just ended the Kilkenny momentum with a 65.

• Advertisement

55 Minutes;

1 - 14 Dublin
    1 - 13 Kilkenny

Dublin keeping it tight and having a real go, but seemingly a few of them down with cramp. Kilkenny after hitting a few wides in a row now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement