Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

57 Minutes;

1 - 15 Dublin
    1 - 14 Kilkenny

60 Minutes, draw game;

1 - 15 Dublin
    1 - 15 Kilkenny

Leinster Minor Hurling Final; Full Time;

1 - 17 Kilkenny
    1 - 15 Dublin

Two scores in injury time to win it.

Well done lads, unlucky to Dublin. Hope both sides go on to better things this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well done KK minors! The Dubs were the better team for most of the second half but they didn't make it count enough on the scoreboard. The KK lads just kept plugging away and managed to get a few scores in the last few minutes and pretty much stole the victory. They'll have to improve a lot for the semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Good stuff from the minors, hopefully the senior will go the same way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Jesus Donal O'Grady really struggles to hide his contempt for Kilkenny at times, it's simply not acceptable for someone in the role of co-commentator in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Jesus Donal O'Grady really struggles to hide his contempt for Kilkenny at times, it's simply not acceptable for someone in the role of co-commentator in my opinion

True. One uncharacteristic lapse in which he was very complimentary of Joyce, but the usual otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Totally agree. He should not commentating on KK matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Comerman

I'd reckon Marty had his co.k in his hand every time he mentioned "Joe" great win and exellent performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Totally agree. He should not commentating on KK matches.

TJ ended up with a fair bit of damage beneath the eye where the GY player tugged at his helmet. Serious offense which Michael Duignan correctly called and the referee chickened out on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Canning scoring only 1-01 from play on Joey, we would have settled for that before the game. Great goal by Canning as well. Joey has had 2 excellent games in a row now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Canning scoring only 1-01 from play on Joey, we would have settled for that before the game. Great goal by Canning as well. Joey has had 2 excellent games in a row now.

Thought he could have done better on the 2nd goal. He let the ball get past him too easily.
    Solid performance and a good win. Reid and Hogan excellent as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

kksaints wrote: »
    Thought he could have done better on the 2nd goal. He let the ball get past him too easily.
    Solid performance and a good win. Reid and Hogan excellent as usual.

That goal was Jackie's fault.

citykat wrote: »
    That goal was Jackie's fault.

Both of theirs really. Jackie aimlessly going for the ball, Joey should have been watching the space when he saw Jackie going for the ball.

Two men going for the ball is criminal, and the FB shouldn't be going for the ball there, he should have been closer to the square.

Jackie made a hames of it, thought he was sloppy in general. Pender tightened things up a lot more when he came on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

what a cynical dirty game Galway play - in the mould of their manager. McGrath was not up to it. Tyrell should have been taken off early and is a serious liability in the back line the way he refuses to clear easy ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Unfortunately for the rest of us Richie Hogan just gets better and better. Immense performance from him today.

Paul Murphy covering the 2 corners as well as campaigning in Greece for a no vote was likewise impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

unrealtime wrote: »
    what a cynical dirty game Galway play - in the mould of their manager. McGrath was not up to it. Tyrell should have been taken off early and is a serious liability in the back line the way he refuses to clear easy ball.

Have to agree re Galway. Durty hoors. Went for the man more than once.Using shoulders and knees and hurls to "accidentally " injure the opponent. Worked too.
    We are at the stage where 2 refs are needed on the pitch. They are the missing link in hurling. Every thing has evolved in the game except the ref. Don't know the answer but I feel what we have is doing a grave disservice to the players..
    My €0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Happy out with that performance, good match from Joey Holden. A lot of high ball was sent in his direction and he coped well, Cillian Buckley was my motm, I thought some of Colin Fennelly's stickwork was a bit rusty but he worked terrifically hard. Hate KK playing short ball in defence. Very decent performances by nearly all, my only concern is that we didn't create many many goal chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

TJ and Richie Hogan unreal again today although TJ had an indifferent day from placed balls, thought our work rate was savage again today all over the field but thought Conor Fogarty in particular ran himself into the ground.

Backs were excellent apart from Jackie who had one of those days but tbf to Jackie he has rarely let us down and will come back stronger.

Colin worked hard again today as usual and got his few scores but I feel he can be a huge player for us if we could find a way to get him into the game more.

Overall happy with the win and performance though loads of room for improvement and plenty to work on for the semi.

What a goal by Canning by the way, one of the best I've seen, Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Yeah, he had a dig about TJ and the no. of steps. He said it as if he couldn't get waiting to 'tell the teacher'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Yeah, he had a dig about TJ and the no. of steps. He said it as if he couldn't get waiting to 'tell the teacher'.

This craic about steps seems to be the cause for 2015.
    If The Sunday Game want to analyse every Kilkenny goal then fine, but then do it for every goal scored in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Apologies for labouring the point but Donal O'Grady must be a very bitter individual. He destroyed the commentary with his ceaseless snipes.

O'Grady was at his very worst - he should be retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Apologies for labouring the point but Donal O'Grady must be a very bitter individual. He destroyed the commentary with his ceaseless snipes.

The thing is that viewers had a couple of different angle shots of the faceguard pull on T.J. The referee had one quick view of it and gave him a yellow which, to me, is fair enough as he was a bit back from the play. However, O'Grady had the 2 or 3 angled shots of the faceguard pull (dangerous play and a straight red) but just glossed over it.

If it was the other way about...mmm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The thing is that viewers had a couple of different angle shots of the faceguard pull on T.J. The referee had one quick view of it and gave him a yellow which, to me, is fair enough as he was a bit back from the play. However, O'Grady had the 2 or 3 angled shots of the faceguard pull (dangerous play and a straight red) but just glossed over it.

If it was the other way about...mmm?

No he didnt gloss over it, he clearly stated that it should have been a red card, he even cited Podge Collins red card of last season as a comparison.

randd1 wrote: »
    Both of theirs really. Jackie aimlessly going for the ball, Joey should have been watching the space when he saw Jackie going for the ball.

Two men going for the ball is criminal, and the FB shouldn't be going for the ball there, he should have been closer to the square.

Jackie made a hames of it, thought he was sloppy in general. Pender tightened things up a lot more when he came on too.

In fairness Joey got caught in no mans land once Jackie committed. Joey was out there because his man, Canning, was going for the ball. With his experience Jackie should have played the %s, stay with his man and let Joey challenge Canning. The worst that would have happened would have been Canning get possession and a Galway point. I wouldn't fault Joey for that goal.

I dont know what it is with Jackie and this messing with short passes. Really undoes a lot of his good work and takes away from his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Amazing to hear at least one commentator who doesn't doesn't have his tongue rammed up the cheeks of Cody ass Duignan like!

Amazing to hear at least one commentator who doesn't doesn't have his tongue rammed up the cheeks of Cody ass Duignan like!

Poor auld Duignan has an awful dose of Stockholm Syndrome alright.

In fairness Joey got caught in no mans land once Jackie committed. Joey was out there because his man, Canning, was going for the ball. With his experience Jackie should have played the %s, stay with his man and let Joey challenge Canning. The worst that would have happened would have been Canning get possession and a Galway point. I wouldn't fault Joey for that goal.

I dont know what it is with Jackie and this messing with short passes. Really undoes a lot of his good work and takes away from his performance.
    Overall, I was impressed with Joey, still learning the trade at full back, I thought his distribution was excellent and he has decent pace

• Advertisement

Jackie had an awful game yesterday. Very poor. He was our only back that didn't play well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JayIre

Jackie had an awful game yesterday. Very poor. He was our only back that didn't play well :(

True. As soon as he was replaced things tightened up. Buckley is a class act, such a dominant player and my MOTM.

Yeah brave alright. Sniping from the commentators box. The same lad who cut and run from Cork as he knew Cody had his number.

Jackie has given great service but his days may be numbered, however he has great experience and a few weeks may restore his confidence. Btw, what sub was being lined up when Joyce went down injured.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Lester was being warmed up when joyce got injured.it was great to get the win yesterday and hopefully a few of the injuries will clear up in the next five weeks.i wouldn't be writing jackie off just yet.joey passed the test and is learning with every outing.buckley was outstanding and fogarty is continuing where he left off last year massive workrate and a great engine he doesn't get the credit he deserves.ger had a good game but probably has to mind his steps as that's twice the sunday game have highlighted this so he will be watched from here on in

blackcard wrote: »
    Jackie has given great service but his days may be numbered, however he has great experience and a few weeks may restore his confidence. Btw, what sub was being lined up when Joyce went down injured.?

Lester Ryan was about to come on.

• Advertisement

about the red card that McGrath failed to give, I believe it was at the half-time review that attention was drawn to that fact. The ref has no option and clearly McGrath did not know the rule. He has shown his gross incompetence once more and should be stood down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Always a party atmosphere on here. Was Fennelly the only absentee yesterday?

Richie Power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

Lester Ryan was about to come on.

Am i correct in saying that Lester did actually come on and then ran off again when they saw Joyce was going to be ok?

Michael Rice and Richie Power were with the team yesterday as well but didn't tog out.

• Advertisement

Michael Rice and Richie Power were with the team yesterday as well but didn't tog out.

I think Richie Power will be lucky to see any action this year, maybe if we are still there by September

O'Grady blames Kilkenny for everything, even when Kilkenny aren't playing.

I think his bitterness stems from the fact he's a tactical genius. At least that's what we were lead to believe when he developed the running game that was going to have Cork dominate hurling for decades to come.

That was until of course Kilkenny not only beat it, but destroyed it to the point where it will probably never be a viable gameplan at the highest level (unless you have a team of Usain Bolts to out-sprint the opposition in every section of the pitch), by the simplest of tactics of closing down space and getting stuck into the opposition.

His great tactical master plan has now become the easiest of game-plans to defend against as long as your players are fit, and it was Kilkenny that dismantled his legacy. Therein lies the bitterness.

Joyce was the worst defender yesterday. Donnellan had a field day on him. He probably should have gone off after that collision with Glynn. Jackie's man got nowhere near the number of scores/possession that Joyce's man did. Only for Walsh and Buckley playing so well, we could have been in real trouble in our half back line.

danganabu wrote: »
    No he didnt gloss over it, he clearly stated that it should have been a red card, he even cited Podge Collins red card of last season as a comparison.

I watched it again today and I heard no mention of a red card. In fact in spite of Marty's promptings, he was actually more interested in talking about how Harte lost possession previously as opposed to a lad nearly getting his eye gouged out.
    Mannion is lucky there's no citing officer in GAA, otherwise he'd be looking at a season ending ban.

blackcard wrote: »
    Overall, I was impressed with Joey, still learning the trade at full back, I thought his distribution was excellent and he has decent pace

I was also impressed with Joey. He was caught ball watching once and was punished with a wonder goal. Canning scored only one point from play and that in the 61st minute when he was out in the half forward line. Think Galway didn't help Canning's cause by playing a two man FF line. He's good but not in a 2 on 3 situation.
    If every FF Joey plays against scores only a goal from play, he'll romp home to an All Star.

I watched it again today and I heard no mention of a red card. In fact in spite of Marty's promptings, he was actually more interested in talking about how Harte lost possession previously as opposed to a lad nearly getting his eye gouged out.
    Mannion is lucky there's no citing officer in GAA, otherwise he'd be looking at a season ending ban.

It was Michael Duignan who talked about a red card and about Podge Collins

Am i correct in saying that Lester did actually come on and then ran off again when they saw Joyce was going to be ok?

You are. I was sure he wouldn't be continuing after that collision.
    Maybe they thought it was a blood injury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Joyce was the worst defender yesterday. Donnellan had a field day on him. He probably should have gone off after that collision with Glynn. Jackie's man got nowhere near the number of scores/possession that Joyce's man did. Only for Walsh and Buckley playing so well, we could have been in real trouble in our half back line.

But Jackie didn't play well, irrespective of who he was supposed to be marking.

He owes us nothing, to put it mildly. I want to be wrong and I hope he proves me so, but I think he's coming to the end of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

I would agree with that...I highlighted before the game that he a suspect centre back. Dont forget he only played 2 championship matches last year and got cleaned in one of them, ironically against galway too.

i have to say conor fogarty does not get the credit he derserves. he was immerse..super engine and a good hurler too!!

its kilkenny's all ireland to lose imo

What people think of Walter yesterday?

I thought he gave it 100% and did well considering he doesn't normally play midfield.

But some of his shooting was atrocious. Does anyone how many wides he hit? Very poor for inter-county standard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement