Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Good to hear michael rices injury isn't serious and he should be able link up with training this week also richie power nearing a return he would be a huge addition both working very hard to get back on track,it would really strengthen the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »
    Good to hear michael rices injury isn't serious and he should be able link up with training this week also richie power nearing a return he would be a huge addition both working very hard to get back on track,it would really strengthen the panel

Hope Richie makes it but it is going to be a struggle to make it back for the semi final as he has very little hurling done this year. It would be a big boost if he and Mick Fennelly are back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Why did Michael Fennelly miss the last day? Was it ever said?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

deadybai wrote: »
    Why did Michael Fennelly miss the last day? Was it ever said?
    Illness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Pudders wrote: »
    Illness

Is that why he missed the Shamrocks game aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

robwen wrote: »
    Is that why he missed the Shamrocks game aswell?

Yeah, he got a nasty virus, the type that can knock the stuffing out of you. Don't think he was training with the squad much either, for obvious reasons.

Though I hear he should be fine and back up to full fitness and energy levels soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

From Hoganstand,
    Kilkenny have been boosted by news that Richie Power and Michael Rice could both be available for All-Ireland semi-final duty.

Much speculation surrounded the Carrickshock clubmen last weekend but it now appears that Brian Cody could yet have both long-term absentees at his disposal come August 9th, when the Cats will lock horns with either Waterford, Cork or Dublin.

Neither man has featured for the Black & Amber so far this season. Power, however, underwent surgery on his left knee recently and is understood to be making serious progress in the gym. He could be back running by next week.

Rice, meanwhile, who's slowly finding his way back after a cruciate ligament tear and featured for the county intermediate team earlier this month, suffered a slight setback on Sunday when he had to limp off for treatment to his right knee during the league clash with Erin's Own. But he was able to resume and it is understood that he merely suffered a twinge.

randd1 wrote: »
    Yeah, he got a nasty virus, the type that can knock the stuffing out of you. Don't think he was training with the squad much either, for obvious reasons.

Though I hear he should be fine and back up to full fitness and energy levels soon.

Michael Fennelly was at Shamrocks match against Martin's last Thursday, wasn't togged out but had a puckaroud with Shefflin at half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Id be surprised if Richie Power was considered for the All Ireland Semi Final considering hes had zero hurling this year and the Semi Final is only 3 or 4 weeks away

Michael Rice on the other hand has the advantage of competitive action at Club Level and with the county Intermediate team along with the training matches with the Seniors so Im sure hes edging ever closer towards full fitness and should be ready for August 9th. The man would be a serious weapon to have if hes fully fit and firing. Even as a 2 time All Star, Hes one of hurlings forgotten men and it would be great to see him come back and show everyone how good he still is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If Richie Power was hurling well in training then I'd have no problem with him coming on as a sub in the semi-final. What a great player to bring on, he would be a fantastic goal threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

If Richie Power was hurling well in training then I'd have no problem with him coming on as a sub in the semi-final. What a great player to bring on, he would be a fantastic goal threat.

Especially when defences get tired. Hopefully he'll get up to speed quick enough but needs to be careful, he doesn't overdo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

For nothing better to do, was watching the KK LK match, from last year, tonight. After RH scores his goal at the end of the first half, the camera pans to the KK bench. The only individual not celebrating/applauding was RP. Everyone else was going beserk. He was impassive...

citykat wrote: »
    For nothing better to do, was watching the KK LK match, from last year, tonight. After RH scores his goal at the end of the first half, the camera pans to the KK bench. The only individual not celebrating/applauding was RP. Everyone else was going beserk. He was impassive...

And the moral of the story IS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

lads with everyone fit.what is your best 15 in kilkenny to start.
    mine is
    1 e. murphy
    2.p.murphy
    3j.holden
    4.jackie
    5.p walsh
    6.k.joyce
    7.c.buckley
    8.c.fogarty
    9.m.fennelly
    10t.j
    11.richie
    12.colin fennelly
    13.larks
    14.richie powrer
    15.ger awaylard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

mine is
    1 e. murphy
    2.p.murphy
    3j.holden
    4.jackie
    5.p walsh
    6.k.joyce
    7.c.buckley
    8.c.fogarty
    9.m.fennelly
    10t.j
    11.richie
    12.colin fennelly
    13.larks
    14.richie powrer
    15.ger awaylard

Yep i think so, thats the best 15 IMO. Forwards positions could change around a bit as usual.

mine is
    1 e. murphy
    2.p.murphy
    3j.holden
    4.jackie
    5.p walsh
    6.k.joyce
    7.c.buckley
    8.c.fogarty
    9.m.fennelly
    10t.j
    11.richie
    12.colin fennelly
    13.larks
    14.richie powrer
    15.ger awaylard

I'd have to agree with that.

Positions 1-9 pick themselves. Although if Jackie's form hasn't improved in training in the run up to the semi-final, I would be worried starting him. Shane Prendergast looks the most likely to come in for Jackie.

With regards to the forwards, I think they are our six best. Positions can be swapped around easily, with Larkin roaming further out the field, and TJ going into the full-forward line.

I don't think John Power contributes enough to be selected ahead of the six forwards above. And Walter Walsh's shooting has driven me demented over the last few games.

Mark Kelly would be my next in line after John Power and Walter. Johnjo Farrell seems to be out of favour at the moment, I thought he might have been brought on against Wexford/Galway at some stage. It's probably one championship season too early for Kevin Kelly. And I'd rank Matt Ruth below the two Kelly's and Farrell.

The biggest challenger to that starting fifteen above is Michael Rice. He is definitely someone who is good enough if of course he is fully fit.

anyone tell me why walter walsh has never started at full forward.with his size in front of goal he might be a option against a sweeper.could use him like kerry use donaghy in football.cody has played him in the corner and half and midfield but never full that i can remember.as for jackie I have no doubts he will be better the next day.bit sloppy with the short passing but no better man when the fire and brimstone start.also have to say I loved the ovation himself and larks got when they were both subbed v wexford.true greats and were lucky to still have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

anyone tell me why walter walsh has never started at full forward.with his size in front of goal he might be a option against a sweeper.could use him like kerry use donaghy in football.cody has played him in the corner and half and midfield but never full that i can remember.as for jackie I have no doubts he will be better the next day.bit sloppy with the short passing but no better man when the fire and brimstone start.also have to say I loved the ovation himself and larks got when they were both subbed v wexford.true greats and were lucky to still have them.
    He's much happier in the full forward line too, always played there with U 21's

One of these days Cody will put him in there and will do it when least expected. Walter is capable of creating havoc at full forward. Cody is just letting him learn the ropes at the moment, turning him into a much better player and more skilful player. His height with a bit more skill would be unstoppable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

if he has all that height, skill and potential, surely centre forward would do it best rather than be wasted at FF.

In my opinion he fails in that he cannot strike a ball properly and will never learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

unrealtime wrote: »
    if he has all that height, skill and potential, surely centre forward would do it best rather than be wasted at FF.

In my opinion he fails in that he cannot strike a ball properly and will never learn.

I agree his hands are not quick enough and is relying on his size to get a shot off. Its a product of yrs of uncontested games at youth level you see loads of lads getting great possession but unable to use it or shooting wide under a little pressure,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Any word on how things are shaping up with the squad now?

Not much coming from the camp think there going to carlton house this weekend

Not much coming from the camp think there going to carlton house this weekend

Always wonder what happens at these camps! Maybe the change of scenery does no harm. Do they stay a few nights?

I think there's a hurling 'course' at St. Kieran's this week-end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Always wonder what happens at these camps! Maybe the change of scenery does no harm. Do they stay a few nights?

I think there's a hurling 'course' at St. Kieran's this week-end.

From the bit I've talked to some of the hurlers about these weekends they seem to consist of travelling up together on Friday do some light sessions and have team talks/tactics video analysis sessions etc Then Saturday they have a more sessions but the main one being a intense game session. After these weekends and the games in particular lads have secured places for big matches. Then normally home Saturday night. Its changed they used to go up Friday night home lunchtime Sunday but I think that was a good few years ago. Finding out exactly what happens is not going to happen I've never asked and to be honest they probably would never answer.

I do know two anecdotes from these over the last 3 or 4 years.
    Firstly DJ happened to be in Carton Hse playing golf heard the Kilkenny team were training and wondered over to have a look. Sorry DJ "NO one allowed in."

Second Mayo were in Carton the same weekend as KK a few years ago. Mayo finished there session and as the left the dressing room the Kilkenny training game started. The Mayo team were all left standing there with their mouths open! They couldn't believe how hard the lads were going into contact and how ruthless they were. They asked some of the KK players after if they just do that when their in Carton Hse and as we all know the answer was "that's how we play every training game."

From the bit I've talked to some of the hurlers about these weekends they seem to consist of travelling up together on Friday do some light sessions and have team talks/tactics video analysis sessions etc Then Saturday they have a more sessions but the main one being a intense game session. After these weekends and the games in particular lads have secured places for big matches. Then normally home Saturday night. Its changed they used to go up Friday night home lunchtime Sunday but I think that was a good few years ago. Finding out exactly what happens is not going to happen I've never asked and to be honest they probably would never answer.

I do know two anecdotes from these over the last 3 or 4 years.
    Firstly DJ happened to be in Carton Hse playing golf heard the Kilkenny team were training and wondered over to have a look. Sorry DJ "NO one allowed in."

Second Mayo were in Carton the same weekend as KK a few years ago. Mayo finished there session and as the left the dressing room the Kilkenny training game started. The Mayo team were all left standing there with their mouths open! They couldn't believe how hard the lads were going into contact and how ruthless they were. They asked some of the KK players after if they just do that when their in Carton Hse and as we all know the answer was "that's how we play every training game."

Yeah, it'd be closely guarded there I'm sure. Good, probably, to get offside also. I suppose KK are used to waiting without a game for long periods at this stage. All the big teams seem to go there - facilities must be good.

Are the minors playing the winners of galway/limerick think it's dublin/antrim on the other side and i presume we can't meet dublin again

• Advertisement

Are the minors playing the winners of galway/limerick think it's dublin/antrim on the other side and i presume we can't meet dublin again

Yeah, we're playing the winners of Galway/Limerick.

training facilities are excellent at carton house.live close enough and might drop up and have a look.what does everyone think of the 2 games this weekend.really fancy galway myself and would love dublin to beat the blanket (waterford)for the sake of the game.actually found myself rooting for tipp against them the last day.look what has happened to gaa football since tyrone started the defensive tactics.donegal v monaghan utter rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

can't see Galway winning and agree re Waterford. Their current way of hurling is really negative and defeatist, and I cannot see it being successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

can't see Galway winning and agree re Waterford. Their current way of hurling is really negative and defeatist, and I cannot see it being successful.

Id agree with u that Waterford's style is very negative, but its been very successful, there wasn't much between them selves and tipp for 65 mins of the Munster final, their very hard to break down, I would say their dangerous opponents for any team out there.

I can't see Galway losing

Anyone any update on how Richie Power is progressing?

• Advertisement

Kilkenny people reporting both michael rice and richie power along with michael fennelly are expected to resume training,massive addition to the panel if true,I know both power and rice haven't done much hurling but the break will do them no harm.larkin played no league and his like a new man since he returned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

For any that are interested, the KK club champions are playing the winners of Dublin/Offaly. On the other side, the winners of Carlow/Westmeath play Wexford/Laois.

pat 22 wrote: »
    Id agree with u that Waterford's style is very negative, but its been very successful, there wasn't much between them selves and tipp for 65 mins of the Munster final, their very hard to break down, I would say their dangerous opponents for any team out there.

Yeah, i can't see Waterford changing their style now - they'll maybe refine it more over the winter months! If playing Waterford, your long range shooting must be spot on or the stats afterwards will look brutal. W'ford V Dublin is 50/50 but i thinks the Dubs may edge it

Regarding Waterford's 'defensive' playing style, Dublin are pretty negative also!! They don't go all out attack that's for sure.

I think as a neutral, the Waterford-Dublin match could be quite poor to watch.

agree dastardly,think this could be very poor to watch.because of that I think dublin have have a good chance of beating waterford.on the other one I have a gut feeling for galway and think we may meet them again in september.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I dunno I think Cork and Waterford might win both games handy and we'll be heading into the semi's still waiting for the championship to come to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

It's very unfair to call Waterfords style of play defeatist. They've only lost one game this year. You simply have to play the hand your dealt. In Waterfords case that's an extremely good back line and midfield and mostly unproven young forwards. They've arguably the best half back line in the country at the moment and a very solid full back line. If they went out 15 against 15 against teams with better attackers they would lose so in reality their current set up is the opposite of defeatist.

I'd be very suprised to see them lose against Dublin this weekend and would look forward to seeing how they would match up against KK in the semi as it's a system everyone seems to struggle against. Cork Galway will be a very good open game I suspect as they'll both give it a go. I'd fancy Cork to just pip it but wouldn't say that with any conviction. Hard see past another Kilkenny Tipp final at the end of it all though. Definitely the teams with the best overall talent.

redlead wrote: »
    It's very unfair to call Waterfords style of play defeatist. They've only lost one game this year. You simply have to play the hand your dealt. In Waterfords case that's an extremely good back line and midfield and mostly unproven young forwards. They've arguably the best half back line in the country at the moment and a very solid full back line. If they went out 15 against 15 against teams with better attackers they would lose so in reality their current set up is the opposite of defeatist.

I'd be very suprised to see them lose against Dublin this weekend and would look forward to seeing how they would match up against KK in the semi as it's a system everyone seems to struggle against. Cork Galway will be a very good open game I suspect as they'll both give it a go. I'd fancy Cork to just pip it but wouldn't say that with any conviction. Hard see past another Kilkenny Tipp final at the end of it all though. Definitely the teams with the best overall talent.

Agree.

I'm in the minority here, but I've been very impressed with Waterford's style of play this year. Their hooking, blocking, tackling, willingness to get stuck in and physicality has been immense all year, its total commitment. And when they run at a team, they actually play some lovely and skill-full stuff, their stick-work is miles ahead of what they had the last few years.

People bemoaning their style of play need to look at where they were last year. A young, small and physically weak team, lacking fitness and any semblance of a game-plan. Cork stuffed them by 14 points in a replay in Munster and Wexford knocked them out of the AI series by a goal, and with the amount of wides Wexford hit that night it could have been double or triple that.

To come from there, while bringing through a lot of young lads, is some turnaround, and central to that is a game-plan based on savage work-rate, tracking back and putting in the hooks, blocks and tackles, as well as a fitness and physicality training schedule, that everyone had to buy into.

Now long term, I don't think it will beat Tipp or Kilkenny in a game that really matters, as those two simply have too many good backs for the current good and willing, but ultimately short-changed, Waterford forward line, and thus have the time on the ball to get into the forwards to unlock the Waterford defense.

However, Waterford do have a few good forward players coming through, the likes of Curran, Dunford and that, so I suspect that McGrath will tinker the system to a more score improving system when those lads get another years or so development and confidence into them.

So while some bemoan their style of play, they are in the results business, and they have been getting results. You have to admire that and the sheer commitment and work-rate of them.

And I expect that commitment, and their skill levels (of which they have plenty of), will be the difference on Sunday. Would fancy Waterford in an arm wrestle of a match to win by 4/5.

As for Cork/Galway, Cork for me have the better hurlers, and the momentum. Galway are notoriously brittle mentally after a defeat as well so that points to Cork too, as does the physically strong, but hurling ability weak spine that Galway have.

However, there's goals in them Cork backs if you have a go at them, and the physical and direct running style of Donnellan, Mannion, Canning and Glynn could get a few goals, and what I think could turn out to be just as crucially, get a few frees and put the Cork backs under pressure.

Cork for me though by 3 points, just think they have the momentum to carry through to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

redlead wrote: »

Would agree with most of this, except the "arguably the best half back line in the country" comment. The way Waterford set up, at any one time time the half back line has 5/6 Waterford players in this area to crowd out the opposition, very much a defensive pattern to smother the flow of play, would like to see the half back line(3 players) win ball on their own merit first.
    Would think Cork will beat Galway, Cunninghams obsession with big men will be Galways downfall.

Would agree with most of this, except the "arguably the best half back line in the country" comment. The way Waterford set up, at any one time time the half back line has 5/6 Waterford players in this area to crowd out the opposition, very much a defensive pattern to smother the flow of play, would like to see the half back line(3 players) win ball on their own merit first.
    Would think Cork will beat Galway, Cunninghams obsession with big men will be Galways downfall.

Aye, big game for Galway and Cunningham especially. Probably the defining game for him. He's added more power and height this year and is going more direct. Cork will probably play Ellis as a sweeper and goals may be hard to create, never mind get. Galway, I think, always need early goals to set them up and give them confidence.

anyone know if and when the team may be going to carton house for a weekend away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

anyone know if and when the team may be going to carton house for a weekend away.

Think it is this weekend. They usually go there two weeks before the big games.

I seen a current team member earlier so there probably going today and returning tomorrow that's usually how they do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Think it is this weekend. They usually go there two weeks before the big games.

While your right they normally go two weeks out, I know for a fact their going next weekend. Which is unusual but with the Bank Holiday I think they just want to keep them busy over the long weekend.

No their going next weekend which is unusual but with the Bank Holiday I think they just want to get them away for a while.

At least they will know who they are playing so they can do video analysis and practice tactics with the opposition known

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement