Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KKalltheway

Called out earlier today, no sign of the lads there just a few of Dublin footballers around. Must be next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Bad news Jackie T picked up an injury in training in the park yesterday. Looks like a bone in the foot and will most likely miss the semi might have a good chance at getting back if we make the Final. I heard a few others are struggling M Fennelly has little to no trouble done since the Wexford match, R Power will be lucky to make the bench for the semi's. Wally and Aylward have also missed some training too not sure why.

TBH there wasn't anything to be seen from either Waterford or Galway to make either us or Tipp to quake in our boots after those matches today. While both will give us more to worry about than they've faced so far I still expect both us and Tipp to be there in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Obviously kilkenny and tipp will be warm favourites to progress but waterford will cause us lots of trouble and they will be hard to grind down,huge workrate but it will be nothing new to kk they know what to expect and should be ready.jackie would be a huge loss if that's true but knocks will be picked up and hopefully fennelly will be okay he didn't do a whole lot before the wx match either richie is still a few weeks off hopefully he makes the bench anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Bad news Jackie T picked up an injury in training in the park yesterday. Looks like a bone in the foot and will most likely miss the semi might have a good chance at getting back if we make the Final. I heard a few others are struggling M Fennelly has little to no trouble done since the Wexford match, R Power will be lucky to make the bench for the semi's. Wally and Aylward have also missed some training too not sure why.

TBH there wasn't anything to be seen from either Waterford or Galway to make either us or Tipp to quake in our boots after those matches today. While both will give us more to worry about than they've faced so far I still expect both us and Tipp to be there in September.

So reminiscent of the pre-Leinster final 2012 talk 'How many Galway players would make the KK team...' etc.

*IF* TJ and Richie Hogan are marked tight, who's going to lead your forwards?

How good are Tipp really? Will they go missing mentally again like in last year's replay?

"For some men, nothing is written unless they write it themselves."

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

MfMan wrote: »
    So reminiscent of the pre-Leinster final 2012 talk 'How many Galway players would make the KK team...' etc.

*IF* TJ and Richie Hogan are marked tight, who's going to lead your forwards?

How good are Tipp really? Will they go missing mentally again like in last year's replay?

"For some men, nothing is written unless they write it themselves."

I think it's difficult for teams to mark both TJ and Richie effectively. Usually one of them gets marked out of the game and the other pops and keeps the forwards going. We also have Colin Fennelly and Eoin Larkin.

I think there's something different about Tipp this year, they didn't even look like they were going full throttle in the Munster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Bad news Jackie T picked up an injury in training in the park yesterday.

Terrible news....

.......for Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Is the hill open for the match vs Waterford? If so how much will they be. I cant remember how much they were last year.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

IrishAlice wrote: »
    I think it's difficult for teams to mark both TJ and Richie effectively. Usually one of them gets marked out of the game and the other pops and keeps the forwards going. We also have Colin Fennelly and Eoin Larkin.

I think there's something different about Tipp this year, they didn't even look like they were going full throttle in the Munster Final.

They were not let go full throttle and against an average enough Waterford team at that. Galway will take Tipp out. It will be a repeat of the Leinster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

fancy us v galway in the final.as for jackie t what cork wouldnt give for a great bit of stuff like him.no way glynn would have walked through like that.as for us v waterford hope we can bury them for the good of the game.really cant stand watching them.also shanahan did some awful sledging against rushe and dublin yesterday.hope kk can stop hurling turning like the football(awful to watch)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

as for us v waterford hope we can bury them for the good of the game.really cant stand watching them.also shanahan did some awful sledging against rushe and dublin yesterday.hope kk can stop hurling turning like the football(awful to watch)

you are either about six or wouldn't know a hurley if it hit you on the head (or perhaps it already has :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

fancy us v galway in the final.as for jackie t what cork wouldnt give for a great bit of stuff like him.no way glynn would have walked through like that.as for us v waterford hope we can bury them for the good of the game.really cant stand watching them.also shanahan did some awful sledging against rushe and dublin yesterday.hope kk can stop hurling turning like the football(awful to watch)

Yeah when you see 18 year olds making their championship debuts and roofing ground strokes to the top of the net, or 20 year olds plucking balls out of the sky and converting along with cutting over sideline balls, you'd have to question what a dark and dangerous road hurling is going down.

I have a remedy though for your hatred of watching Waterford, just find a way of changing the white jerseys to black and yellow on the tv and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Yeah when you see 18 year olds making their championship debuts and roofing ground strokes to the top of the net, or 20 year olds plucking balls out of the sky and converting along with cutting over sideline balls, you'd have to question what a dark and dangerous road hurling is going down.

I have a remedy though for your hatred of watching Waterford, just find a way of changing the white jerseys to black and yellow on the tv and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Some under 10s can do both if they are not marked .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Aye, big game for Galway and Cunningham especially. Probably the defining game for him. He's added more power and height this year and is going more direct. Cork will probably play Ellis as a sweeper and goals may be hard to create, never mind get. Galway, I think, always need early goals to set them up and give them confidence.

Galway got the 'early' goal as I predicted!!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Hopefully JT's injury is not too bad. Waterford will be a different challenge - almost the unknown in a way. Croke Park will be a different proposition for Waterford in an All Ireland semi-final. The Cats are well used to it at this stage. I'm just thinking back to last year and Limerick's performance would have beaten every other team in Ireland that day except Kilkenny. For me, it all depends on how Waterford react to the occasion and how they perform. You know what you are going to get from the Cats!!

I think some lads are to critical of waterford,they have huge workrate and are putting up high scores,discipline was a factor yesterday for dublin and I'd expect kk to be better at the tackle . Dublin pushed up on the sweeper curtailing his influence.it'll be intriguing to see what brian does as kk usually don't worry to much bout opposition.kk ability to win clean ball up front could cause wd trouble because they wouldn't of came across a team as good in the air but it'll be a great test for this young wd team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Anyone follow Richie Hogan on twitter?

https://twitter.com/richiehogan8/status/625710597741654016

redlead wrote: »
    you are either about six or wouldn't know a hurley if it hit you on the head (or perhaps it already has :D)

redlead my dislike of waterford first started in 08 when davy sent them out with dirty tactics before a ball was thrown in(bad mistake).but now I cant stand any team that employs these tactics in such a negative fashion.as for gleeson point (great score)bennetts goal (good strike but johnny mc caffrey was ball watching instead of marking)as for your personal comment about me I havent missed a all ireland final involving kilkenny since 72 and if kilkenny ever adopted these negative tactics you wouldnt see me and many more like me going to another one.(its called tradition). think i might know more about hurling than you will ever know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

redlead my dislike of waterford first started in 08 when davy sent them out with dirty tactics before a ball was thrown in(bad mistake).but now I cant stand any team that employs these tactics in such a negative fashion.as for gleeson point (great score)bennetts goal (good strike but johnny mc caffrey was ball watching instead of marking)as for your personal comment about me I havent missed a all ireland final involving kilkenny since 72 and if kilkenny ever adopted these negative tactics you wouldnt see me and many more like me going to another one.(its called tradition). think i might know more about hurling than you will ever know.

Was last years AI replay not one of them games you were at? Describe the KK tactics that day please and explain exactly how it differs from what Waterford are doing??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

brookville wrote: »
    I think some lads are to critical of waterford,they have huge workrate and are putting up high scores,discipline was a factor yesterday for dublin and I'd expect kk to be better at the tackle . Dublin pushed up on the sweeper curtailing his influence.it'll be intriguing to see what brian does as kk usually don't worry to much bout opposition.kk ability to win clean ball up front could cause wd trouble because they wouldn't of came across a team as good in the air but it'll be a great test for this young wd team

Kilkenny do plenty of work on the opposition, didn't the players get together in groups and figure out how to shut down Tipp after the first final last year? It would be an insult to Cody and his management team to say they don't study their opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭dk1982

You really sound like someone who hasn't a clue about hurling. I'd imagine all right minded Kilkenny fans are embarrassed by your comments.

• Advertisement

First of all, the tactics Waterford employ now are vastly different to the one Davys team used so there is no point in comparing them. Davys tactics actually were defensive as they were damage limitation stuff most of the time. The extent of Waterfords defensive system is employing a sweeper (just like Kilkenny have done on occasion which you must not have noticed) and then build their attacks from there. For an allegedly defensive team that is apparently destroying hurling they are putting up some decent scores and are pretty entertaining to watch in my opinion. Again I'd doubt the extent of hurling involving other counties you actually look at if you are singling out Waterford for such harsh critisicim. Clare have a similar system are very entertaining to watch. You seem to have some sort of bizarre hatred of Waterford hurling but you should atleast admit it rather than coming out with ridiculous statements that don't make any sense.

As for the game itself, the quality of the Kilkenny forwards will pose a major challenge to the young Waterford backs so it will be interesting to see how that battle goes. Waterford are physically strong and more importantly quite fast in the backs too so that will provide a different challenge to Kilkenny. Whoever comes out on top here will win. If Waterford can prevent KK getting more than one goal they will have a great chance but they will never beat them in a shootout. You would have to suspect that Kilkenny will prevail on the day due to the quality throughout the team and more importantly the big game experience. I wouldn't have Kilkenny as massive favourites though as despite being the best around, have still failed to put teams away over 70 mins over the last few years. Only Tipp have proven good enough to beat Waterford this year so they certainly shouldn't be underestimated.

dk1982.i will take it by your comments that your not a kilkenny fan.as for last years replay.cody brought joyce in to do a job on bonner john power replaced wally and mick fennelly went back to midfield.two of the most entertaining games iI have ever been at.I may stand corrected but in the first game all the forwards and midfield players on both teams scored.not going to happen watching waterford.sooner rather than later (when they start losing)players will get fed up of this sweeper tactic(just look at clare)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

I think the dirty tactics he mentioned in the 08 final involved off the ball strikes of the hurley on KK players just before the starting whistle.
    Wasn’t too happy to see this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

carq wrote: »
    I think the dirty tactics he mentioned in the 08 final involved off the ball strikes of the hurley on KK players just before the starting whistle.

I don't think anyone was happy with the antics before the game including the Waterford players and fans. I'd blame Davy for it far more than anyone else. It's a long time ago now though. I thought clares antics before the 8 munster final replay were disgraceful too. But I've let go of my anger and I'm the better for it.

Todays papers
    Brian Cody is refusing to rule ultra experienced defender Jackie Tyrrell out of his plans for Sunday week’s All-Ireland semi-final clash with Waterford.

look I dont have anything against waterford no more than anyone else.I just think this tactic is bad for the game
    look at the clare players now their like robots
    let them hurl and they would do better.but because they wom a all Ireland playing that way (handy one) others are now copying.look what happened in football awful stuff to watch.

carq wrote: »

I agree that the off the ball striking was a disgrace. It wasn't Waterfords style and generally hasn't been seen before or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I agree that the off the ball striking was a disgrace. It wasn't Waterfords style and generally hasn't been seen before or since.

They did the same against Tipp in the semi finals that year.

dk1982.i will take it by your comments that your not a kilkenny fan.as for last years replay.cody brought joyce in to do a job on bonner john power replaced wally and mick fennelly went back to midfield.two of the most entertaining games iI have ever been at.I may stand corrected but in the first game all the forwards and midfield players on both teams scored.not going to happen watching waterford.sooner rather than later (when they start losing)players will get fed up of this sweeper tactic(just look at clare)

Again showing how little you know about Waterford/watch non Kilkenny games. Waterford get plenty of scores from Midfield and half backs. Even Shane Fives the corner back got two points against Tipp. The spread of scores in the forwards is pretty good too. If the other team can't do the same, thats surely a good thing from a Waterford persepctive.

I also agree that last years games (that were not played with traditional tactics) were very entertaining. Thankfully I'm able to enjoy games of hurling where counties other than my own are involved.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    They did the same against Tipp in the semi finals that year.

I honestly can't remember it if they did but I will stand open to correction on it. I definitely remember it from the final anyway (and believe me I've tried my best to erase as much memory of that game out of my memory as possible).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

look I dont have anything against waterford no more than anyone else.I just think this tactic is bad for the game
    look at the clare players now their like robots
    let them hurl and they would do better.but because they wom a all Ireland playing that way (handy one) others are now copying.look what happened in football awful stuff to watch.

No more against Waterford than anyone else? So a simmering dislike of everyone?

And calling the Clare AI a handy one? Kilkenny people freak out when people call any of their all irelands soft! It's not Kilkenny's fault, but 07 and 08 were as soft as you can pray for.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In what sense were 2007 and 2008 soft?

In the sense that Kilkenny were far and away the best team in the country during that time? Absolutely.
    In the sense that they somehow avoided playing teams that might have challewnged them? Absolutely not.

That Kilkenny team was by far the best team in living memory, calling them soft All Irelands is a bit much I think.

Clare didn't win munster then beat laois wexford Galway@ limerick (who never showed up ) to reach the final.if that's noy soft what is.

Clare didn't win munster then beat laois wexford Galway@ limerick (who never showed up ) to reach the final.if that's noy soft what is.

Kilkenny have beaten every Munster team bar Kerry in a all Ireland final under cody.maybe Munster teams are soft?

I can enjoy games of hurling whether Kilkenny are playing or not.because I love hurling I dont like to see teams going down the sweeper route. as tom ryan of limerick @ ger loughnane of Clare have written about (ironic with loughnane @ clare I know) alan Markham of clare under daly was the first time i had seen a sweeper deployed. However Kilkenny thank god have seen off all kinds of tactics over the years.

The thing is no one in Kilkenny under normal circumstances would begrudge Waterford a win. It is when you read about how this forward or that forward is so great they would destroy Jackie Tyrell it becomes asinine. These same Waterford forwards could not beat a Clare under 21 team. A little bit of reality from Waterford with a little more respect might do their chances a bit more good. You can bet your life Cody will have every player and every sub well versed in what to expect from them. Respect is the first thing the Kilkenny management, the team, and the subs along with the vast majority of Kilkenny supporters afford to the opposition .it is a pity it is not reciprocated by many , many Munster followers and especially those from the likes of Waterford who have won noting and then tell us they were going to destroy Jackie.

adrian522 wrote: »
    In what sense were 2007 and 2008 soft?

In the sense that Kilkenny were far and away the best team in the country during that time? Absolutely.
    In the sense that they somehow avoided playing teams that might have challewnged them? Absolutely not.

That Kilkenny team was by far the best team in living memory, calling them soft All Irelands is a bit much I think.

That's what his point was. Kilkenny were the best team in 07/08 and fully deserved the all Ireland. He was responding to a commnent calling Clares All Ireland soft. It was no more soft than Kilkennys in 07/08 was. It's neither Clares nor Kilkennys fault that no one was good enough to beat them. There's no such thing as a soft all Ireland.

@Savannahcat - who's saying Waterford forwards are going to destroy Jackie Tyrell? That's a bit random. Is he not ruled out anyway? There's a lot of paranoia on here. Everyone has loads of respect for Kilkenny and rightfully so. Saying that Kilkenny might not trounce a team does not equate to a lack of respect. Where is this lack of respect from "Munster counties"? From reading this thread, the lack of respect seems to be going the other way. You don't see any of this nonsense on the other counties pages.

http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/241742?county=National
    Jackie not being ruled out according to that altho if his not right he shouldn't be risked altho I'm sure he'll be rearing to play after after the dip in for the last day,personally I think he shouldn't be risked cause the days of playing lads half fit is well gone

• Advertisement

That's what his point was. Kilkenny were the best team in 07/08 and fully deserved the all Ireland. He was responding to a commnent calling Clares All Ireland soft. It was no more soft than Kilkennys in 07/08 was. It's neither Clares nor Kilkennys fault that no one was good enough to beat them. There's no such thing as a soft all Ireland.

@Savannahcat - who's saying Waterford forwards are going to destroy Jackie Tyrell? That's a bit random. Is he not ruled out anyway? There's a lot of paranoia on here. Everyone has loads of respect for Kilkenny and rightfully so. Saying that Kilkenny might not trounce a team does not equate to a lack of respect. Where is this lack of respect from "Munster counties"? From reading this thread, the lack of respect seems to be going the other way. You don't see any of this nonsense on the other counties pages.
    On this thread and if not it is either the Waterford thread or the All Ireland thread. If you were as quick to go back to check ( I won't do it for you) as you are to make stupid accusations. Not one Kilkenny person spoke about any trouncing of any team not even Wexford, but now that you mention it, I hope we will beat you all the way back to the sea at Tramore. Note I said "hope."

On this thread and if not it is either the Waterford thread or the All Ireland thread. If you were as quick to go back to check ( I won't do it for you) as you are to make stupid accusations. Not one Kilkenny person spoke about any trouncing of any team not even Wexford, but now that you mention it, I hope we will beat you all the way back to the sea at Tramore. Note I said "hope."

If you actually read what I said, you would see that I didn't make any "stupid" accusation that anyone said they would trounce Waterford. I merely referenced that a Waterford/Munster poster not coming out and saying they expect to be trounced by Kilkenny, but instead discuss how they might be beaten seems to be interpreted as a lack of respect for Kilkenny by you. I can't see any lack of respect for Kilkenny on any of the threads. Anyone that doesn't respect Kilkenny is an idiot as there's still plenty of lads there from the best team of all time and they are All Ireland champs. Are they beatable? Of course they are. I look forward to giving it a crack. This year is a success for us either way. Here's hoping for a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

The thing is no one in Kilkenny under normal circumstances would begrudge Waterford a win. It is when you read about how this forward or that forward is so great they would destroy Jackie Tyrell it becomes asinine. These same Waterford forwards could not beat a Clare under 21 team. A little bit of reality from Waterford with a little more respect might do their chances a bit more good. You can bet your life Cody will have every player and every sub well versed in what to expect from them. Respect is the first thing the Kilkenny management, the team, and the subs along with the vast majority of Kilkenny supporters afford to the opposition .it is a pity it is not reciprocated by many , many Munster followers and especially those from the likes of Waterford who have won noting and then tell us they were going to destroy Jackie.

Provide some quotes where people are saying Jackie will be destroyed. I get the impression you are just making this all up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I think he's identified as a weakness on the basis of the last game simply because he was one of the poorest performers. Language might have been OTT but when you are looking at the Kilkenny team there are few weaknesses there so you'd have to be specific.

Somebody saying they hope Kilkenny bury Waterford is hardly a mark of high respect either, or indeed you calling them a very average team either though everyone is entitled to their opinion too I guess. I for one and Most I've seem to agree that Kilkenny are favorites and the most likely winners but I believe victory is conceivable and Its the first time I ever remember being excited about playing Kilkenny. Might simply be because I was abroad for the last two.

Anyone watching the Kilkenny v Cork Laochra Gael? It focuses on the rivalry between 1999 and 2010. Well put together and some great memories, particularly the 2006 All Ireland final and the 2008 Semi final. 2 of Kilkennys best ever performances.

Wasn't expecting the Pixies to feature in the soundtrack either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I expect KK team to be the same as named for the last day except for Shane Prendergast replacing Jackie Tyrrell and hoping Mick Fennelly is fit to start. KK to play 6 at the back irrespective of whether Wd play 4, 5 or 6 forwards. I would expect Wd to play 7 at the back, I hope KK push up fairly tight on Wd puckouts, if there is a loose man, it should be whichever Wd back is least comfortable running with the ball or a full back/centre back facing his own goal. Another important factor will be keeping scorable frees to a minimum which could be difficult when Wd are running at us but if their attacker has already taken a number of steps before coming into contact with the KK defenders, we should try and contain them and force them to either pass the ball or risk overcarrying the ball.

• Advertisement

Will mr.kelly get this gig his due one?It'll be interesting to see what the team will be waterford usually have two up front so a better stickman could be more important than a sticky marker for short puck outs,it'll probably boil down to training pity brian kennedy doesn't seem to be up to it yet but I'd be confident he'll come good in the next year or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

adrian522 wrote: »
    Anyone watching the Kilkenny v Cork Laochra Gael? It focuses on the rivalry between 1999 and 2010. Well put together and some great memories, particularly the 2006 All Ireland final and the 2008 Semi final. 2 of Kilkennys best ever performances.

Wasn't expecting the Pixies to feature in the soundtrack either!

TG4 always have top class songs to go with their sport!

That 2006 final still has to be one of the sweetest...I dug up this quote from Dan Shanahan after Cork had beaten them...

“The way they celebrated after beating us, I think it’s their All-Ireland final. If anyone was going to beat them it was us and they caught us on the day. Kilkenny will give them a game, but no disrespect, I think Cork have the upper hand on them.

“If Cork want it, they’ll keep going for four and five. They’re all young fellows. Brian Corcoran is the oldest but he keeps himself very fresh.’’

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/agony-of-defeat-still-fresh-for-shanahan-10819.html

Things didn't quite pan out that way.

Will this show be repeated or on their player?

look thats the way he saw it at time.hindsight is wonderfull.his book is a good read tells how davy came up with the dirty tactics in 08.provided we dont give them soft frees like dublin did we should win.but as cody said it's on the day.thats why we respect every challenge. as gor barry kelly lets hope its not him.may have been going for 5 in a row again without him.reallyisremarkable that we have won 7 of the last 9 and were looking for more

David Herrity
    Paul Murphy, JJ Delaney Jackie Tyrell
    Tommy Walsh Brian Hogan Cillian Buckley.

Could become
    Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy Joey Holden, Shane Pendergast
    Padraigh Walsh Kieran Joyce Cillian Buckley.

What a marvelous job Brian Cody has done to keep us at the very top with so much change.
    I was very impressed with Shane Pendergast for the time he was on against Galway but hope Jackie makes it for the Waterford game. His sheer physical presence is much underrated.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement