Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

blue note wrote: »
    Poor eoin mcgrath. The lad wouldn't hurt a fly. Very unfair to pick on him like that.

Probably why that team never won an All Ireland, too many lads who were weak mentally

citykat wrote: »
    Wouldn't have a problem with the Deise. Though there's only so much of Maurice's fist pumping and crest clutching I can watch.

I would be the same, but its that crap that really annoys me about them at times.

It was the same with John Mullane kissing his jersey and 10 minutes later licking his wounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I would be the same, but its that crap that really annoys me about them at times.

It was the same with John Mullane kissing his jersey and 10 minutes later licking his wounds

Most hurlers fist pump. Kilkenny, believe it or not, do it too.

O Riain wrote: »
    Most hurlers fist pump. Kilkenny, believe it or not, do it too.

Yes they do and theres nothing wrong with it every now and again but I dont think anyone did it to the extent of that Waterford team of the mid noughties. John Mullane did it nearly everytime he got a point or won a free

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Waterford do it best though...

• Advertisement

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Yes they do and theres nothing wrong with it every now and again but I dont think anyone did it to the extent of that Waterford team of the mid noughties

Ridiculous to think that, Waterford do it no more than Limerick, Kilkenny, Tipp, Clare or Cork do it in crucial games. No need to fist pump when you've just gone 25 points up against Wexford but you can bet your hole that if a Kilkenny player drew level or went a point up against Tipp then fists would be flying off from all the pumping going on.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Waterford do it best though...

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

O Riain wrote: »
    Brilliant!

Ah good to see a lad with a sense of humour and not up his own hole with false modesty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

redlead wrote: »
    Mick Fennelly must be one of the unluckiest men in Ireland with injuries. He was the best player in the country before they all stated in my opinion. Richie seems to be going the same way unfortunately.

True, Mick very unlucky with injuries. He's some player in full fitness. Always think he'd do a job at No. 6. He has all the attributes. As you say Richie getting the niggly injuries now also.

May leave us light on the bench but I'd look at it as a good way for players to make a name for themselves and push themselves up the pecking order. All members should be pushing for places - that drives the squad on.

I'd want to see Kevin Kelly get a run out in Croke Park at some stage plus there's a few others who' fancy their chances of getting a run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Power and Fennelly have an awful lot of hurling done over the last 10-12 years between clubs, colleges and county.

The bodies seem to be giving in to the demands on them lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Brian Gavin to referee KK vs WD and Barry Kelly to ref the other semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Brian Gavin to referee KK vs WD and Barry Kelly to ref the other semi.

Well thank God for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

agree thank god we dont have kelly.as for mick@ richie being out lets wait@ see.as for fist pumping eamonn o sheas windmill annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

agree thank god we dont have kelly.as for mick@ richie being out lets wait@ see.as for fist pumping eamonn o sheas windmill annoys me.

Eamon O'Shea just annoys me, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

blue note wrote: »

Hopefully Kilkenny will stick to the hurling this time.

Regarding the pictures you posted of Tommy Walsh and Eoin McGrath, wasn't that Tommy's reaction to McGrath belting Tommy across the hand when he went to shake his hand at the start of the match?

Would you stand back and blow him a kiss if he did that to you?

Tommy and Kilkenny gave McGrath and company their deserved answer that day!!

P.S. I see you are still obsessed with Tommy even though he is retired. You do know he's retired don't you??? You no longer have to live in fear of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Eamon O'Shea just annoys me, full stop.

Fully agreed.

He seems like an awful g0bsh1te. Seems a bit strange and away with fairies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Tipp will be happy to get Kelly considering he tried to hand them an All Ireland last year and they clapped him off the pitch. Having said that, he also tried to hand Galway an All Ireland in 2012!! The link to both is that he was trying to lose an All Ireland for Kilkenny. As Tipp or Galway are not playing Kilkenny I don't expect favours to be as easily granted to them by Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

SteJer wrote: »
    Tipp will be happy to get Kelly considering he tried to hand them an All Ireland last year and they clapped him off the pitch. Having said that, he also tried to hand Galway an All Ireland in 2012!! The link to both is that he was trying to lose an All Ireland for Kilkenny. As Tipp or Galway are not playing Kilkenny I don't expect favours to be as easily granted to them by Kelly.

What is so odd / strange about eamon o Shea......I'm sure Brian coady gets to tipp folk just as much as O'Shea does to Kk fans

As for the ref selections, i was sure the upper echelons of the GAA are doing everything to ensure KK are dethroned assp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

adrian522 wrote: »
    Independent reporting that Richie Power, Jackie Tyrell and Mick Fennelly all out for next week.

We'll still put out a good team but the options from the bench will be limited compared to last year.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/kilkenny-face-injury-crisis-for-dise-clash-31414391.html

Don't think Fennelly is ruled out for definite. Cody was vague on Fennelly from what I heard on the radio. Also according to the examiner,

'Cody was unsure about the availability of Michael Fennelly, who has struggled with a back problem all year: “Michael’s season has been very interrupted. He’s not back in training yet either at all. He played against Wexford and played very, very well against Wexford.

“He missed the Galway match and since then, his training has been limited to just non hurling. Just trying to get to the stage where he can get back taking part.

“Whether he can be involved, I just don’t know.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fully agreed.

What a ridiculous, stupid comment.

• Advertisement

Don't think Fennelly is ruled out for definite. Cody was vague on Fennelly from what I heard on the radio. Also according to the examiner,

'Cody was unsure about the availability of Michael Fennelly, who has struggled with a back problem all year: “Michael’s season has been very interrupted. He’s not back in training yet either at all. He played against Wexford and played very, very well against Wexford.

“He missed the Galway match and since then, his training has been limited to just non hurling. Just trying to get to the stage where he can get back taking part.

“Whether he can be involved, I just don’t know.”

From all accounts, including from himself, Fennelly seems to be in serious trouble with his back. I'd say even if he was wrapped up in cotton wool until Sunday week, he still mightn't be in good enough shape to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

From all accounts, including from himself, Fennelly seems to be in serious trouble with his back. I'd say even if he was wrapped up in cotton wool until Sunday week, he still mightn't be in good enough shape to play.

From what I read it's a problem in his lower back the root of which he can't pin down. Said it's intermittent, fine one day, crippling the next. It'll probably boil down to how he feels on the day.

From what I read it's a problem in his lower back the root of which he can't pin down. Said it's intermittent, fine one day, crippling the next. It'll probably boil down to how he feels on the day.

It reminds me of Rio Ferdinand's lower back problems. He'd be alright one week and then crippled the next. It seemed to dog him for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Fully agreed.

An awful gob****e with just the two masters degrees and a phd.

Do some people on here drink glasses of squeezed lemon in the morning or what's going on?

If Fennelly hasn't been able to train just over a week out from the game I'd be very surprised he started.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Agreed, I don't think he'll play. Shame for him but he can never seem to get a good run of games without injury. He could probably do with taking the rest of the year off to try and get things sorted.

Seems to be always touch and go before games and then suffers regular setbacks, maybe a few months rehab is whats needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

An awful gob****e with just the two masters degrees and a phd.

Do some people on here drink glasses of squeezed lemon in the morning or what's going on?

If Fennelly hasn't been able to train just over a week out from the game I'd be very surprised he started.

Getting a degree or two does not prevent one from being a gob sh*te. All you need do is look at the number 0f TDs with degrees who are in the Dail for proof.

Getting a degree or two does not prevent one from being a gob sh*te. All you need do is look at the number 0f TDs with degrees who are in the Dail for proof.

Ok elaborate on why is a gob****e? Because he manages a team that's not Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Is this site for juveniles now? Some on here really sound like kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

He done hardly any training before the wexford match and from what I'm hearing there hopefull he'll be able play.probably be the last year for him and richie power unless things improve,they have given unreal service to the county and haven't much more to achieve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

I remember listening to an interview with Fennelly after last years All-Ireland, that was quite interesting. He said that he believed that certain people are genetically pre-disposed to pick up injuries more than others etc, and he said he believed himself to be in that category. From what I have read about his back troubles it stems from a form of arthritis, it's sad to see such a fantastic hurler being crippled so bad with injuries. I am always that bit more confident when I see him named on the team sheet as I do think he is one of the best in country when he's fit.

Who'd play midfield if he missed it?

Rice probably not up to it,walter started there the last day got two points but drove bout four wides,That area will be fairly congested positions won't mean much,he could suprise us and start lester or someone like mark kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

whoever starts im sure will do a good job.ever player in a Kilkenny senior panel kmows whats expected of them. thats codys greatest legacy.win loose pr draw we turn up @ give everything. unlike cork lady week@ lasy year.like limerick v clare in13.we are trult blessed@ spoiled to have the teams we have had over the past decade @ more.

whoever starts im sure will do a good job.ever player in a Kilkenny senior panel kmows whats expected of them. thats codys greatest legacy.win loose pr draw we turn up @ give everything. unlike cork lady week@ lasy year.like limerick v clare in13.we are trult blessed@ spoiled to have the teams we have had over the past decade @ more.

Can you please put in a small bit more effort into your spelling and grammar. You definitely seem like a knowledgeable hurling fan, and you are a welcome addition to the forum, but it's hard to read posts like yours above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Don't think it was injury i.e. back problem that kept Fennelly out re Galway. I expect him to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

In fairness lad, this is a bit beneath you. I Shea is a good manager, and quite obviously a very intelligent man. As an aside, having a degree and being a lecturer in your field are as comparable as playing a bit of junior hurling and being an all star.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Sav, I think you are giving the politicians too much credit. I would imagine the few with degrees are vastly outnumbered by the no qualifications brigade. However, a degree or PHD does not necessarily transfer to making one a good GAA manager, to being a wise politician, or even a good businessman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Ok after all the bluster of the last few pages I'm actually going to back to talking about hurling.

I believe M Fennelly will play and should last the whole match as he's fit enough and hopefully he's touch won't be an issue.

Assuming he's fit I see two solutions to the Jackie issue. BTW if ever there was a game tailor made for Jackie it was a game against this Waterford team as he'd just sit between the half and full lines, he'd mop up all the loose ball and use he's experience to deliver good ball right back on top of the Waterford backs. He'd also be in the right postition to slow down any of the runners coming through with a thunderous shoulder.

Option 1 A straight swap.
    Murphy
    Murphy, Holden, Pendergast
    P Walsh, Joyce, Buckley
    Fogarty, M Fennelly
    W Walsh, TJ, Larkin
    Aylward, Hogan, C Fennelly

This is the most likely as Cody doesn't like to shift lads around too much for one lad missing so I'd be 98% sure this is what we'll see.

Option 2 the only other viable option I can think of that would work
    Murphy
    Murphy, Holden
    Fogarty
    P Walsh, Joyce, Buckley
    M Fennelly, R Hogan
    W Walsh, TJ, Larkin
    Aylward, C Fennelly, AN Other

AN Other would be any of J Power, K Kelly, M Kelly, JJ Farrell, M Ruth depending on who's been performing in training.

I think Fogarty would do the job that Jackie would have done. The distribution might not be the same as Jackies but he's spped and strength would be a great asset to combat the runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Wouldn't like to see Fogarty as a corner back but as you say he will be filling the space left by the Waterfords sweeper, that could be a good option as I'm not sure who will be the spare man otherwise.

The other advantage of that is Richie Hogan has bit more room to pick them off from distance and is not restricted due to extra defender. I'm sure plenty of thought will go into the line up either way.

Ok after all the bluster of the last few pages I'm actually going to back to talking about hurling.

I believe M Fennelly will play and should last the whole match as he's fit enough and hopefully he's touch won't be an issue.

Assuming he's fit I see two solutions to the Jackie issue. BTW if ever there was a game tailor made for Jackie it was a game against this Waterford team as he'd just sit between the half and full lines, he'd mop up all the loose ball and use he's experience to deliver good ball right back on top of the Waterford backs. He'd also be in the right postition to slow down any of the runners coming through with a thunderous shoulder.

Murphy
    P Walsh, Joyce, Buckley
    Fogarty, M Fennelly
    W Walsh, TJ, Larkin

This is the most likely as Cody doesn't like to shift lads around too much for one lad missing so I'd be 98% sure this is what we'll see.

Murphy
    Murphy, Holden
    Fogarty
    P Walsh, Joyce, Buckley
    M Fennelly, R Hogan
    W Walsh, TJ, Larkin

AN Other would be any of J Power, K Kelly, M Kelly, JJ Farrell, M Ruth depending on who's been performing in training.

I think Fogarty would do the job that Jackie would have done. The distribution might not be the same as Jackies but he's spped and strength would be a great asset to combat the runners.

I'd be hesitant to move Fogarty from his spot in midfield. He's been playing so well there for the last year. I would prefer to see Prendergast come in at number 4. That being said though, if Shane isn't performing in training, Fogarty is definitely an option.

I'm not too optimistic about Mick Fennelly playing though. And even if he does, it's a big risk as he'll have no training under his belt. I'd still start him though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Murphy
    P Walsh, Joyce, Buckley
    Fogarty, M Fennelly
    W Walsh, TJ, Larkin

Murphy
    Murphy, Holden
    Fogarty
    P Walsh, Joyce, Buckley
    M Fennelly, R Hogan
    W Walsh, TJ, Larkin

That's a good analysis as always. Is there a good basis for believing fennelly will play at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Wouldn't like to see Fogarty as a corner back but as you say he will be filling the space left by the Waterfords sweeper, that could be a good option as I'm not sure who will be the spare man otherwise.

The other advantage of that is Richie Hogan has bit more room to pick them off from distance and is not restricted due to extra defender. I'm sure plenty of thought will go into the line up either way.

I would be very surprised if he took Fogarty out of midfield, he is doing an excellent job as a deep lying midfielder which allows his partner that bit more freedom. I would expect Prendergast to come in for Jackie and Wally at midfield and John Power in the forwards if Mick Fennelly doesn't make it.

I would be very surprised if he took Fogarty out of midfield, he is doing an excellent job as a deep lying midfielder which allows his partner that bit more freedom. I would expect Prendergast to come in for Jackie and Wally at midfield and John Power in the forwards if Mick Fennelly doesn't make it.

Personally I would expect there'll be some change. Power didn't set the world alight the last day so reckon between himself and Walter Walsh that one won't start. I don't think Kilkenny started the same team two games in a row last year did they?

Personally I would expect there'll be some change. Power didn't set the world alight the last day so reckon between himself and Walter Walsh that one won't start. I don't think Kilkenny started the same team two games in a row last year did they?

No, they didn't. But we had more options last year. Personally i would like to see Kevin Kelly in for Power but that isn't going to happen. If everyone was fit the team pretty much picks itself, Richie Power and Mick Fennelly in for for Wally and John Power from the Leinster final team but once again that looks unlikely to happen either this year.

Yeah, i wouldn't want to change things too much. Fogarty was super last year - gives a bit of energy around midfield. He probably doesn't get the credit he deserves in my opinion but he puts in some shift and that usually goes unnoticed. The team appreciates the shift he puts in. So in that respect, i'd keep him 'lár na páirce'.

I'd have Shane in as a direct replacement for JT.

Do you think that W'ford could go 15 on 15 with no De Burca as sweeper?

Yeah, i wouldn't want to change things too much. Fogarty was super last year - gives a bit of energy around midfield. He probably doesn't get the credit he deserves in my opinion but he puts in some shift and that usually goes unnoticed. The team appreciates the shift he puts in. So in that respect, i'd keep him 'lár na páirce'.

I'd have Shane in as a direct replacement for JT.

Do you think that W'ford could go 15 on 15 with no De Burca as sweeper?

Yeah, have to agree with you about Fogarty, an unsung hero, was close to MOTM in the replayed All-Ireland.
    Can't see Waterford deviating from the game plan, wouldn't fancy being 4 or 5 points down going into the last 10 minutes, they'd have 14 men behind the ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Can you please put in a small bit more effort into your spelling and grammar. You definitely seem like a knowledgeable hurling fan, and you are a welcome addition to the forum, but it's hard to read posts like yours above :)
    that's a very ignorant reply ,,you don't know who the poster is ,what age ,or if he is Dyslexic ,,cop on

Yeah, have to agree with you about Fogarty, an unsung hero, was close to MOTM in the replayed All-Ireland.
    Can't see Waterford deviating from the game plan, wouldn't fancy being 4 or 5 points down going into the last 10 minutes, they'd have 14 men behind the ball!

Only thing is that that'll maybe work in football but with hurling, the ball can be struck from 70 and 80 yards. That's where Richie Hogan will do damage. Prob as you say, they'll hardly change their system now at this stage. It's effective to a certain extent and McGrath will progress it next year.

Only thing is that that'll maybe work in football but with hurling, the ball can be struck from 70 and 80 yards. That's where Richie Hogan will do damage. Prob as you say, they'll hardly change their system now at this stage. It's effective to a certain extent and McGrath will progress it next year.

Absolutely, couldn't understand why Dublin were trying to work the ball inside so much in the last 15 minutes when basically Waterford had conceded the half back and midfield areas. The likes of Richie Hogan and Padraig Walsh would pop over points from 70 or 80 yards til the cows come home in the same circumstances, just wouldn't fancy haven't to try and create a goal chance though if we were chasing the game.

Tipp are a free scoring set of fowards like ourselves and they found it difficult to get the scores so I'd be under no illusions this will be a tricky assignment.jackie is ruled out so there'll be at least one change,hopefully mick will be back.There away this weekend so the team will probably finalised I wouldn't be suprised to see a suprise on the team sheet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement