Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

brookville wrote: »
    Stories and rumours usually spiral out of control,won't be a word about it friday when the team is announced,every player picks up knocks and I'm sure richie will be okay come sunday

That's true too, let's hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Not belittling the effect an absent Ritchie Hogan would have on proceedings but the reality is, it is an effect on how much we would by than between winning and losing and no I am not belittling Waterford either. it is saying it as it is. You do not go to Clare with half your senior team and lose an under 21 game to a team that could not even win the provincial under 21. They beat a Dublin team who were beaten out the gate by Galway who in turn were well beaten by Kilkenny Waterford also failed by five points to a Tipperary team who are no where near as good as they are being hyped (once again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Not belittling the effect an absent Ritchie Hogan would have on proceedings but the reality is, it is an effect on how much we would by than between winning and losing and no I am not belittling Waterford either. it is saying it as it is. You do not go to Clare with half your senior team and lose an under 21 game to a team that could not even win the provincial under 21. They beat a Dublin team who were beaten out the gate by Galway who in turn were well beaten by Kilkenny Waterford also failed by five points to a Tipperary team who are no where near as good as they are being hyped (once again).

At least your funny!

Sounds like someone trying to convince themselves more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

I agree even without Richie hogan and Fennelly etc the bookies will still have Kilkenny as overwhelming favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Savannahkat is reading the form book , and the favourites will still be favourites .

Waterford lost P Mahony and they had to get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

the 15 that takes the pitch on sunday will im sure do us proud win or lose.that is the great thing about watching yhe Kilkenny senior team. probably the loss to cork in 2013 was one of the proudest moments I have had watching Kilkenny. being a man down and the ref doing us no favours they battled to the end and drew the 2nd half.these battling qualities in my opinion set us up to come back last year just as we came back in2011.a teamthat are a privilege to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hypothetically let's say Richie Hogan is ruled out.

If you take a pessimistic view, we would then be pretty much entirely reliant on TJ Reid to work his magic in order to win.

Let's take one more step and imagine that TJ has a poor game. He scores his placed balls, but is otherwise marked out of the game. Can KK still win the game? Who else can step up to the plate?

Larkin was great against Galway but he plays much deeper these days. He will be good for a few points though. Colin could get a goal or two, but Waterford could equally crowd him out of it. I can't see Wally and John Power taking up the slack.

Anyway, that's just a worse case scenario for Sunday. Things should be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

You could make the same argument for waterford who are relying on maurice for the bulk their scores,ger is going well probably worth a mention.not much coming from the kk camp where as this time last year everyone knew kelly was starting against lk a week beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Larkin was great against Galway but he plays much deeper these days. He will be good for a few points though. Colin could get a goal or two, but Waterford could equally crowd him out of it. I can't see Wally and John Power taking up the slack.

I doubt John Power will be playing. Himself and mick rice did not travel carlton house

I doubt John Power will be playing. Himself and mick rice did not travel carlton house

Oh right, I didn't know that about John Power.

Who do you think will be the two midfielders and six forwards?

Fogarty, W Walsh, TJ, Richie, C Fennelly, Larkin, Aylward and ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Anyone know what the story is with tickets. I'm trying to buy them online but it's only bad tickets for lower hogan and cusack. They haven't been selling any upper teir tickers yet. Will there be decent tickets on sale in nowlan park this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 The Longlad

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with tickets. I'm trying to buy them online but it's only bad tickets for lower hogan and cusack. They haven't been selling any upper teir tickers yet. Will there be decent tickets on sale in nowlan park this evening?

There is no bad seats in Croke Park.

Who do you think will be the two midfielders and six forwards?

From what I heard after there weekend away the team is shaping up to be E.Murphy P. Murphy J.Holden D.Cody P.Walsh K.Joyce C.Buckley C.Fogarty L.Ryan W.Walsh G.Aylward T.J C.Bolger R.Lennon C.Fennelly.

That was the team lined out in training, they seem to be going for route one hurling down on top big Lennon and having the speedy Bolger and Fennelly feeding off the breaks.

Could this work?

Or will Lennon be to inexperienced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

I will never pay for a corner seat in the lower tiers again unless they are a front row (I've sat in all corners) or lower rows Davin (I found the black netting took my focus off the pitch and for me the game was difficult to watch).

I'll pay for any upper tier seat but I doubt they'll be open next Sunday. I was behind the goal last year for the Limerick game and took shelter at one of the bars and watched the game on the tv screen for a while. I noticed that there were a handful on people in the upper tier for that game.

Got tickets for lower Cusack centre-ish section four weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

From what I heard after there weekend away the team is shaping up to be E.Murphy P. Murphy J.Holden D.Cody P.Walsh K.Joyce C.Buckley C.Fogarty L.Ryan W.Walsh G.Aylward T.J C.Bolger R.Lennon C.Fennelly.

That was the team lined out in training, they seem to be going for route one hurling down on top big Lennon and having the speedy Bolger and Fennelly feeding off the breaks.

Could this work?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that team!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Could this work?

I'll eat my hat if that team lines out. Why would he drop Larkin? And I reckon Hogan will start, dunno about Fennelly. Also, starting his son would be a bad call in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Could this work?

Did Larkin get shot or something? Why would he be dropped? If that's the team, I'm staying at home, in bed. With the TV off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My hat will also be on the menu if that team is named.

all speculation until friday night.cant see cody ahead of prendergast or kennedy.lennon might be a springer because of the way waterford play.we will wait and see.minors v galway will be interesting very tight between the 4 teams left at minor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Could this work?

You sir are taking the p*ssðŸ˜

Id presume Bolger is next in line although i have not heard as much about him since the under 21s. Maybe a chance for kevin kelly?

Haha also did someone really put Rob Lennon full forward in a team to play Waterford!!

Did Larkin get shot or something? Why would he be dropped? If that's the team, I'm staying at home, in bed. With the TV off.

He was not shot well I hope not anyway, but he is carrying a slight knock but I think he will be ok to start, he will just go straight in corner forward instead of Bolger I'd imagine.

like bolger.very impressive v dublin 21s.cant see him starting but could see him coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

like bolger.very impressive v dublin 21s.cant see him starting but could see him coming on.

Like him too. Missed a sitter though against Wexford (U21) which would have put us 6 pts up. Instead it was one way traffic from then on. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'd be surprised if Hogan and Fennelly don't play, Honestly think this is just mind games, stuff like this about injuries tends to go around before big games, i'd be stunned if that was the team ye played on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

By the sounds of it Brian Cody will be going to Derek mcgrath before the match asking if they can play 13 a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

blue note wrote: »
    By the sounds of it Brian Cody will be going to Derek mcgrath before the match asking if they can play 13 a side.

Cody will ask that McGrath agrees to a walk over and A KK A team vs KK B team will entertain the crowd. If rumours are to be believed the training games are something to behold in KK and we will be in for a real treat......also it will be interesting to see what loughlane etc make of it

I wonder will all these Waterford posters still be contributing so much to the thread after Sunday?

I wonder will all these Waterford posters still be contributing so much to the thread after Sunday?

Your point being??

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Your point being??

That ye have a habit of getting very noisy and smart alecky in the week before a big trouncing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

And they would still manage to get 14 men inside their own 65!:D

That ye have a habit of getting very noisy and smart alecky in the week before a big trouncing.

Ever hear of banter?? I think most w'ford folk being honest see a win unlikely this year but not 100% impossible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Mcgrath says no so the game is played 13 vs 15 and Kilkenny still hammer ye. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

From what I've seen so far Kilkenny & Tipp are the two best teams in the country, Waterford are next best, with Galway slightly behind them. Galway have destroyed Cork & Dublin which is impressive but they won't get the space they got against either of those teams any more, and I'm not sure they're overall team is good enough to go further. Still, it's been a good year for them.

Waterford, I feel, are a step up, just because they all seem to know exactly what they're doing. The structure they've set up is excellent for preventing goals and they have a team filled with young, hard-working players.

If Kilkenny play that team that was named above, I would expect Waterford to win. I don't think they'll play that team though but if Hogan & Fennelly, as well as Power are all out, it's going to be pretty close. Will Waterford tweak things slightly from the Munster final, maybe give additional support to Maurice?

I've been impressed with Tipp so far though, much better than last year imo. Niall O'Meara is flying, Jason Forde is on a level above what he was last year, Ronan Maher is another fine addition. It'll be a very good team that beats them this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Paddy Power didn't see the team above yet , cos KK are still 2/5 and WD 13/5 :)

Ever hear of banter?? I think most w'ford folk being honest see a win unlikely this year but not 100% impossible...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Fireball07 wrote: »
    From what I've seen so far Kilkenny & Tipp are the two best teams in the country, Waterford are next best, with Galway slightly behind them. Galway have destroyed Cork & Dublin which is impressive but they won't get the space they got against either of those teams any more, and I'm not sure they're overall team is good enough to go further. Still, it's been a good year for them.

Waterford, I feel, are a step up, just because they all seem to know exactly what they're doing. The structure they've set up is excellent for preventing goals and they have a team filled with young, hard-working players.

If Kilkenny play that team that was named above, I would expect Waterford to win. I don't think they'll play that team though but if Hogan & Fennelly, as well as Power are all out, it's going to be pretty close. Will Waterford tweak things slightly from the Munster final, maybe give additional support to Maurice?

I've been impressed with Tipp so far though, much better than last year imo. Niall O'Meara is flying, Jason Forde is on a level above what he was last year, Ronan Maher is another fine addition. It'll be a very good team that beats them this year.

This is almost exactly my reading of it all. Kilkenny and Tipp are better than Waterford, but not out of reach on the day. The Munster final was a good example - I thought both teams played well and neither got any real breaks on the day. No goals or sendings off or really bad decisions and Tipp were a couple of points better at the end. If Waterford had nicked a goal, or had a purple patch of shooting or if Tipp had shot a few wides or fallen asleep for a bit like they did against Limerick we could very well have won that game.

And for Kilkenny to beat Waterford I think they'll need to play very well. If there are actually a few players injured it is edging closer and closer to a 50/50 game. It's not the same Kilkenny team that won the 4 in a row with only one close game really.

I also agree on Galway. They're better this year at beating the poorer teams by bigger scores, but I think if Tipp play a similar way against them to how they played against us they'll win comfortably. I can't see their forwards coping with the limited space and I can't see their backs coping with the higher quality forwards than they've faced before. If Tipp play well I'd expect a 7 or 8 point win.

The one thing about Waterford which is probably a good thing really, is that I don't think the players get quite as much credit as they deserve for their individual quality. Practically all the media talk is about our system which takes pressure off our players. Obviously the players are being mentioned, but most of the column inches focus on "the system". I did see one exception to that reporting in the Indo today though from Nicky English. He basically makes the point that it's pretty much the same style as everyone (including Kilkenny :eek:) but just a bit more exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JuniorBKing

Very unfortunate about Richie but the lads just have to dig in Sunday and do it for him and get him back for the All-Ireland. Heard about Lennon full forward but only experimental I'd presume... Not as much talk about Bolger these times but could see Cody giving him game time. He's done stranger in the past!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Is that your prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Interesting strategy from Cody. Resting the big guns for September...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Only natural that silly rumours fly around in the build up to a big game. I also heard Conor Fogarty was being tried at Full Back in training but at the moment I dont see any reason why Joey should be shifted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I went over to get tickets in Nowlan park this evening and popped in to see the last few minutes of the training and they were just warming down. Richie Power and Michael Rice were doing sprints and turns up on the side line. John Power was present and training also. There was also a rumour about TJ being on crutches last week which definitely wasn't true tonight as he stayed behind to practice he's free taking and was running around. I then went in to grab my tickets and saw Richie Hogan driving out of the park and he was earlier to leave than the rest of the lads. I'd say he was getting some physio done but he had a smile on his face he didn't look too worried. May be someone who saw more of the trainin could say if he took part at all.

I'd say Richie has a good chance of playing but will hardly be 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I went over to get tickets in Nowlan park this evening and popped in to see the last few minutes of the training and they were just warming down. Richie Power and Michael Rice were doing sprints and turns up on the side line. John Power was present and training also. There was also a rumour about TJ being on crutches last week which definitely wasn't true tonight as he stayed behind to practice he's free taking and was running around. I then went in to grab my tickets and saw Richie Hogan driving out of the park and he was earlier to leave than the rest of the lads. I'd say he was getting some physio done but he had a smile on his face he didn't look too worried. May be someone who saw more of the trainin could say if he took part at all.

Neither Hogan or Fennelly togged out tonight, TJ fine, both Rice and Power trained on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The one thing about Waterford which is probably a good thing really, is that I don't think the players get quite as much credit as they deserve for their individual quality. Practically all the media talk is about our system which takes pressure off our players. Obviously the players are being mentioned, but most of the column inches focus on "the system". I did see one exception to that reporting in the Indo today though from Nicky English. He basically makes the point that it's pretty much the same style as everyone (including Kilkenny :eek:) but just a bit more exaggerated.

This is true for the first time in a long time Waterford have players of serious talent who would walk onto any team (I'm not trolling here)...but for many id place them as good as there kk counterparts (Richie hogan aside-he's unreal)

In paddy curren,Bennetts,ozzy gleeson,Jamie Barron (not as good as hogan)...they've the makings of a serious team

As for the system from seeing it...it's a 2man full forward line...with a man dropping from midfield to half back and giving a sweeper
    With sometimes wing forwards going to midfield and playing short sharp passes at pace through the midfield to open attacks and free players into space

To stifle midfield allowing at times wing backs to help in full back line...giving impression of a flooded back line?

It's main success is the movement at pace through midfield (quick passes/powerful runners-Moran/gleeson) as stifle that like tipp did in Munster final leaves situation hard as Waterford haven't the strength in the air to win ball in forwards (shanahan/maybe Stephen bennet aside)

Either way...I hope it's a good game and fairly contested with the best team winning and no stupid referee descisions/undeserved red cards affecting the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Just as a matter of interest what were the tickets like that they had for sale?

Is that your prediction?

Hell no. Have any of YE ever heard of banter? Until I see a team I'm predicting nothing. At full strength we'd win by five or six assuming ye didn't get started with a bit of a lead. Hard team to come back from behind against.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Just as a matter of interest what were the tickets like that they had for sale?

Lower Hogan 334
    Lower Cusack 310
    Was what was available when I was there I was getting Hill tickets so I wasn't asking

Lower Hogan 334
    Lower Cusack 310
    Was what was available when I was there I was getting Hill tickets so I wasn't asking

Lower Hogan 334 is what available on Tickets.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

Cusack lower,section 301? at front, near hill 16 definitely aren't great seats, crick in ur neck when action @ other end. But most areas are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Cusack lower,section 301? at front, near hill 16 definitely aren't great seats, crick in ur neck when action @ other end. But most areas are good.

Was there for All-Ireland vs Galway, I swore never again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement